Clippers roster, what's next?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#1 » by og15 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 am

Okay, it's over, disappointing loss, but it's not the end. What can the Clippers do now to right the ship and to make the situation better next season?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#2 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 am

Burn everyting. Includes everyone not named Zubac-Kabengele-Mann change the culture. Bring back Shai.

Denver growth such a great way in their own groove. Dallas will do it. Miami doing it. Boston is right there. Utah does that.

Don't pay mercenaries like PG-Morris-Harrell and Kawhi. We ain't Lakers, shouldn't be.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#3 » by SK21209 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 am

Let Harrell walk. He’s a much better player than he showed in the bubble, but the team needs to show confidence in Zubac. Maybe Marc Gasol or Ibaka as backup center.

We also need a point guard as we rely too much on Bev (always injured/in foul trouble) and Lou (can’t defend). VanVleet would be perfect but there’s no way we can get him. I really don’t know what the free agency options are. Wildcard option is starting Shamet at PG.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#4 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 am

SK21209 wrote:He’s a much better player than he showed in the bubble

It's not just the bubble. He's simply not built for the playoffs. Everything about his game screams "regular season only."
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#5 » by TucsonClip » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 am

I dont see how you can let any of these guys just walk. We have no way to replace guys like Trez, Morris and Green without paying them.

Clippers need to get creative in order to upgrade the roster, and that might be a sign-and-trade deal with Trez or Green, a package with Lou and Zu, ect. You likely need to take on an unwanted contract to make and meaningful waves.

It is clear the Clippers need an actual PG who can hold his own on defense and help run the offense with the starters and bench. They could use another wing who can attack, especially if they are going to play PG at SG. They could use another C Doc would be willing to split minutes with Zu. That shouldnt be difficult, as replacement level Cs are all over the league, especially guys who can play some semblance of defense.

In general, they need more guys who are playoff caliber. That means they can play a role on both ends of the floor when the rotations tighten.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#6 » by SK21209 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 am

MartinToVaught wrote:

It's not just the bubble. He's simply not built for the playoffs. Everything about his game screams "regular season only."

Completely agree.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 am

SK21209 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Completely agree.

Like, seriously. Undersized, reliant on hustle and motor, not a good defender, not a good rebounder, not even a good fit with Kawhi and PG. It was never going to go well in the playoffs. This is why it was absurd that Doc kept overplaying him in second halves in the regular season and leaving Zubac on the bench. Even in the regular season, this was costing us games, let alone the playoffs.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,657

Post#8 » by ejftw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:32 am

Well, the first thing to look at is the three key free agents, Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris and JaMychal Green.

The former two aren't going to get a higher payday than they would if they remain OR in a S&T. I'm hoping we can S&T Trez for anything, even a TPE with a player would be great. A high second or two would also be nice. Morris I want to keep, say on a bloated 2/35 type of deal. JMyke might get the full MLE somewhere, which would be too much, though, I would love to maintain him.

I would then look at getting some high seconds, looking at Zeke Nnaji and Cassius Winston. Nnaji would be a high energy replacement for Trez, while Winston is a solid QB. Lamine Diane as a UDFA on a two-way would also be great.

Then, look for a DJ Augustine type to be the backup PG.

And, run it back. Not much else we can do to upgrade the roster but look for gems in the buy-out market.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#9 » by NickP » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:35 am

Keep Kawhi Zu Kabingele. Let the others walk out trade or whatever.
I don't want to give up on Kawhi who had very little help when he needed it. LeBron has had **** games in the playoffs but even he got help.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 am

They should have tried to get cp3 back at the trade deadline. Maybe they did and okc didn’t like the offer.

I also think they don’t use pg13 properly. He is a great shooter. They should run some the same sets that they ran for Redick. Too much one on one play
Jeffroxyx
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#11 » by Jeffroxyx » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 am

og15 wrote:Okay, it's over, disappointing loss, but it's not the end. What can the Clippers do now to right the ship and to make the situation better next season?

Just shows you can't use Microsoft billions to buy a championship. It takes skillful planning with real NBA experts.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#12 » by kombayn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 am

Letting Doc Rivers go should be item #1 or have him move to the front office while letting Sam Cassell take over the team if we're going to run-it-back. I'm at a loss for words right now.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#13 » by TucsonClip » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:05 am

ejftw wrote:Well, the first thing to look at is the three key free agents, Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris and JaMychal Green.

The former two aren't going to get a higher payday than they would if they remain OR in a S&T. I'm hoping we can S&T Trez for anything, even a TPE with a player would be great. A high second or two would also be nice. Morris I want to keep, say on a bloated 2/35 type of deal. JMyke might get the full MLE somewhere, which would be too much, though, I would love to maintain him.

I would then look at getting some high seconds, looking at Zeke Nnaji and Cassius Winston. Nnaji would be a high energy replacement for Trez, while Winston is a solid QB. Lamine Diane as a UDFA on a two-way would also be great.

Then, look for a DJ Augustine type to be the backup PG.

And, run it back. Not much else we can do to upgrade the roster but look for gems in the buy-out market.

Zeke would be an interesting developmental pick for the Clippers, but feels like a version of Kabengele again.

Augustine was my initial thought on a backup PG who can run the offense, but he's also not great on defense.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
lautreamont
Junior
And1: 248

Post#14 » by lautreamont » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 am

Zubac is not a starting caliber center. He's slow footed in today's NBA.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#15 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 am

Fire Doc, Get Kenny Atkinson

Bodgan Bogdanovic would be the dream guy I'd love to get but I don't think Sacto accepts any sign&trade offer we come up with. I also don't think we are ready to move on from Kawhi&PG duo so I will just leave it that dream in here and move on.

The plan;
-Sign&Trade Morris or Harrell for Davis Bertans Sign&Trade via Wizards.(I know it's a long shot)
-Sign&Trade whoever left from Harrell/Morris for Eric Gordon(If HOU disagrees then let Harrell/Morris go for free)
-Trade Lou&Beverley for Nets Spencer Dinwiddie&Temple or Bulls Satoransky/T.Young
-Extent J-Myke
-Sign MLE for M.Gasol
-Get to the 1st round of draft somehow.

Dinwiddie(Satoransky)/Mann
PG/Eric Gordon
Kawhi/Temple(Young)
Bertans/J-Myke
Zubac/Gasol
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#16 » by Rastas » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 am

Paul George for Ben Simmons (5yrs)
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#17 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:They should have tried to get cp3 back at the trade deadline. Maybe they did and okc didn’t like the offer.

I also think they don’t use pg13 properly. He is a great shooter. They should run some the same sets that they ran for Redick. Too much one on one play

Yeah, CP3 totally wouldn't have blown a 3-1 lead! Oh wait.

The last thing we needed was that horrible contract. We do need a point guard, but preferably one who actually shows up in big playoff moments.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#18 » by og15 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Jeffroxyx wrote:
og15 wrote:Okay, it's over, disappointing loss, but it's not the end. What can the Clippers do now to right the ship and to make the situation better next season?

Just shows you can't use Microsoft billions to buy a championship. It takes skillful planning with real NBA experts.

Thanks for your contribution :clap:
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#19 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Paul George for Jrue Holiday + some salary dump?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#20 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

We also need to get back into the draft immediately as well.

It's either:
a) Kawhi, we're getting back into the draft for the back 9 of your prime; or
b) We need to be in the draft whether or not Kawhi will be spending the rest of his career here.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers