Lebron gotta be considered the GOAT now when the Lakers win the title

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Jonny Blaze
Veteran
And1: 1,409

Re: Lebron gotta be considered the GOAT now when the Lakers win the title 

Post#101 » by Jonny Blaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm

dautjazz wrote:
prefontaine wrote:I think he's the clear #2 if he wins this year. IMO he needs to win as many as Jordan to be better and even then I'm not sure. 2 3 peats is a little crazy.

Think about this, if Lebron wins this year it's 4, with a real possibility to win more, Durant essentially STOLE title hopes from Lebron in 2017 and 2018 by joining a 73 win core. Lebron would of beat a Durant-less Warriors team atleast once, not to mention he was VERY shorthanded in 2015 due to Love and Irving injuries, otherwise he would of probably beat that team as well. MJ didn't have an opponent like the Warriors or even the 2014 Spurs that he topped. I wouldn't count the 1991 Pistons to be in that category, and then who was the best teams he beat the Ewing Knicks or 1996 Sonics? Being honest with myself, the 1997 and 1998 Jazz were not that great, Stockton and Hornacek were well past their prime, it was classic overachievement by Sloan and Malone's continuing dominance that even put them in that position.

So Kevin Durant stole titles from Lebron......but Lebron get no flack for teaming up with Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Anthony Davis..Kyrie...etc?

Kevin Durant did the same thing Lebron did, but just did it better.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,311

Post#102 » by Ambrose » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:58 pm

This is not the next logical step based on what happened last night.
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 635

Post#103 » by tsirigoj » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:59 pm

If LeBron rattled 10 ships in a row, people would still think MJ is the GOAT.

It's REALLY difficult to change people's minds, ESPECIALLY when LeBron keeps destroying their team.

I'm not saying that I think LeBron IS the GOAT, but, especially if he wins another championship this year, we need to take his GOAT candidacy seriously.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#104 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:59 pm

dribble1614 wrote:How so? Anyone can win a title playing this weak competition. His Finals opponent will be a either a 5th seed that nobody expected to make out of the 2nd round or a very young/inexperienced team with no superstars either.

And he gets to duck the 2 best players who were his competition in Giannis and Kawhi.

Plus he choked in the 2011 Finals and has inferior regular season and playoffs stats all across the board.

LeBron is 3-6 in the Finals with way more help and superstar talent. He could never win without another #1 option / MVP level player or player capable of scoring 30 ppg. Jordan went 6-0 and smokes LeBron in the playoffs and Finals.

Also keep in mind LeBron is being outplayed by one of his own teammates through 2 rounds. Jordan never had a teammate put up anywhere near his production, regular season or playoffs.

LeBron is closer to Kareem than Jordan.

:lol: Jordan played trash teams in the finals and played for the best coach in the league and had a stacked defensive roster. We just saw with Kawhi what a difference going from the best coach in the league to an average coach makes. MJ always had the most stacked squad in the league, Lebron was always playing the most stacked squads in the finals lmao. It's not even close. They played a team that scored 54 points against them in the Finals, LeBron was playing teams with 4 all stars LMFAO and needed a game where the Cavs scored 49 in the first quarter just to have the firepower to beat them.

LeBron had to play for mediocre coaches, and the one time he had a top 3 coach they won like 66 games and would've crushed the Spurs in 5 and then threepeated if Wade doesn't get injured. MJ had Phil Jackson and Tex Winter and the second best wing player in the world on his team. Stop it. He has the most propped up and lucky legacy out of anyone. No one had more things stacked in their favor than MJ. You know how many people would win titles in that kind of situation lmao. LeBron would crush every team MJ faced if he was in his position.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#105 » by Dino353 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Jordan played with Pippen,Harper,and Rodman who were defensive beasts. The Bulls had the perfect blend of shooting and defense with the perfect offense in the 90's. Jordan never had to leave Chicago because Jerry gave him everything he needed and it was perfect timing with Larry,Isiah, and Magic not being around.

LeBron needs to win 1 more MVP, become the all time leading scorer and win 1-2 more titles to become the GOAT.
Jonny Blaze
Veteran

Post#106 » by Jonny Blaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:03 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:if Reggie Miller and Shaq joined Utah and stole some of MJ's titles like what happened to Lebron then it would be 4-3 and close to being 4-4

I don't understand how someone that is 3-6 in the NBA Finals has had titles stolen from.

The Spurs smoked Lebron multiple times and should have been 3. The Warriors and Mavs have all smoked Lebron led teams in the Finals.

Lebron is a Ray Allen three pointer and Draymond Green suspension away from being 1-8 in the NBA Finals.
Heej
General Manager

Post#107 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Jonny Blaze wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:if Reggie Miller and Shaq joined Utah and stole some of MJ's titles like what happened to Lebron then it would be 4-3 and close to being 4-4

I don't understand how someone that is 3-6 in the NBA Finals has had titles stolen from.

The Spurs smoked Lebron multiple times and should have been 3. The Warriors and Mavs have all smoked Lebron led teams in the Finals.

Lebron is a Ray Allen three pointer and Draymond Green suspension away from being 1-8 in the NBA Finals.

You don't understand because your agenda causes you to ignore context in order to support the logically flawed narrative you've woven to convince yourself of your opinion. If you need an explanation for why the KD move is an anomaly beyond all anomalies then I think you should be posting in YouTube comment sections so you can engage with fans that are more around your level of discourse.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#108 » by -MetA4- » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:08 pm

There isn't anyone over the age of ~32-35 who actually thinks that LeBron is anywhere near Jordan. The entire "LeBron GOAT" take is driven by a crowd of fans who were simply too young (or not even born yet smh) to even comprehend Jordan's dominance, and ESPN talking heads who are literally just forcing a "story" to sell (just like how before LeBron they tried to build Kobe up as being "better than Jordan").

There are countless recollections of players who played in between both "eras", and is there a single one of them that denies Jordan as being superior to LeBron? Ray Allen played against Jordan and WON a championship alongside LeBron and even he doesn't dare to suggest that LeBron is on Jordan's level.

Oh, and the difference between Jordan having Pippen alongside him and LeBron jumping around to form super-teams is that Jordan MADE Pippen. Scottie Pippen isn't Scottie Pippen without Jordan driving him to become the player that he became. LeBron didn't "elevate" any of these other superstars he's played with, he just teamed up with already established superstars.

The reason why LeBron can't ever be on Jordan's level boils down to one thing: mentality. Its not even close. LeBron is passive and has quit on multiple occasions. He doesn't have Jordan's intensity or fire. Little did we forget that Jordan spent about a decade wherein he terrified the rest of the league - opposing superstars included. Ain't nobody "scared" of playing against LeBron.
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,238

Post#109 » by Archerbro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:13 pm

it's a summer cup, not equivalent at all to his 3 actual titles.
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#110 » by The Rodzilla » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Jonny Blaze wrote:

Lebron crushed them when Draymond resumed play, including game 7 when Draymond scored 32 points, so this is not something that should ever be brought up

lebron was 3-4 at that time and the nba needed him to be stopped to preserve the Jordan reputation, Draymond begged and KD joined the warriors and from the Lebron point of view they stole 2 titles that would have gone to him in normal circumstances

Lebron got to those finals and i think he would have beaten any team in the west or the standard golden state team
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#111 » by Neutral 123 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

This is it. Not much of a debate left after this.
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#112 » by Anti Chalmers » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

I’d say he’s the goat. But it’s all subjective and hard to compare players in different eras due to different play style and competition.
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#113 » by Whopper_Sr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

He already is and Jordan isn't even his biggest competition for the GOAT title. Russell and Kareem have better cases than MJ too. Not to mention Duncan.

Sure, a 4th ring would certainly add some value but it all depends on his play and production, as always.
Heej
General Manager

Post#114 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm

-MetA4- wrote:There isn't anyone over the age of ~32-35 who actually thinks that LeBron is anywhere near Jordan. The entire "LeBron GOAT" take is driven by a crowd of fans who were simply too young (or not even born yet smh) to even comprehend Jordan's dominance, and ESPN talking heads who are literally just forcing a "story" to sell (just like how before LeBron they tried to build Kobe up as being "better than Jordan").

There are countless recollections of players who played in between both "eras", and is there a single one of them that denies Jordan as being superior to LeBron? Ray Allen played against Jordan and WON a championship alongside LeBron and even he doesn't dare to suggest that LeBron is on Jordan's level.

Oh, and the difference between Jordan having Pippen alongside him and LeBron jumping around to form super-teams is that Jordan MADE Pippen. Scottie Pippen isn't Scottie Pippen without Jordan driving him to become the player that he became. LeBron didn't "elevate" any of these other superstars he's played with, he just teamed up with already established superstars.

The reason why LeBron can't ever be on Jordan's level boils down to one thing: mentality. Its not even close. LeBron is passive and has quit on multiple occasions. He doesn't have Jordan's intensity or fire. Little did we forget that Jordan spent about a decade wherein he terrified the rest of the league - opposing superstars included. Ain't nobody "scared" of playing against LeBron.

That's cuz the league was trash in the early-mid 90s. Ever notice how Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Kobe, and Shaq weren't afraid of Jordan? You think James Harden, Russell Westbrook, CP3, Kawhi, Giannis, Dame, Luka, Embiid, Jokic, etc gonna be afraid of Jordan? FOH. The ones who were afraid of him were the guys who choke in the playoffs lol
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#115 » by BigBoss23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Jonny Blaze wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
prefontaine wrote:I think he's the clear #2 if he wins this year. IMO he needs to win as many as Jordan to be better and even then I'm not sure. 2 3 peats is a little crazy.

Think about this, if Lebron wins this year it's 4, with a real possibility to win more, Durant essentially STOLE title hopes from Lebron in 2017 and 2018 by joining a 73 win core. Lebron would of beat a Durant-less Warriors team atleast once, not to mention he was VERY shorthanded in 2015 due to Love and Irving injuries, otherwise he would of probably beat that team as well. MJ didn't have an opponent like the Warriors or even the 2014 Spurs that he topped. I wouldn't count the 1991 Pistons to be in that category, and then who was the best teams he beat the Ewing Knicks or 1996 Sonics? Being honest with myself, the 1997 and 1998 Jazz were not that great, Stockton and Hornacek were well past their prime, it was classic overachievement by Sloan and Malone's continuing dominance that even put them in that position.

So Kevin Durant stole titles from Lebron......but Lebron get no flack for teaming up with Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Anthony Davis..Kyrie...etc?

Kevin Durant did the same thing Lebron did, but just did it better.

Shhh. Its not ok for other stars to have the talent advantage but its ok when their idol does!
Jonny Blaze
Veteran

Post#116 » by Jonny Blaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Heej wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:

You don't understand because your agenda causes you to ignore context in order to support the logically flawed narrative you've woven to convince yourself of your opinion. If you need an explanation for why the KD move is an anomaly beyond all anomalies then I think you should be posting in YouTube comment sections so you can engage with fans that are more around your level of discourse.

Agenda?

My team kicked the chit of Lebron James and the Miami Heat in the Finals. The reason I joined this board was because I had never heard of a Lebron stan before.

Worshipping another man is weird.

Lebron James was horrible the first two times he was in the Finals. Michael Jordan never had a poor Finals appearances.
Heej
General Manager

Post#117 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Jonny Blaze wrote:
Heej wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:

Agenda?

My team kicked the chit of Lebron James and the Miami Heat in the Finals. The reason I joined this board was because I had never heard of a Lebron stan before.

Worshipping another man is weird.

Lebron James was horrible the first two times he was in the Finals. Michael Jordan never had a poor Finals appearances.

Yes, your agenda is to downplay LeBron's accomplishments; it's rather obvious. Incessantly trying to tear down another man's legacy is just as weird as worshipping :lol:
Jonny Blaze
Veteran

Post#118 » by Jonny Blaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:

Lebron crushed them when Draymond resumed play, including game 7 when Draymond scored 32 points, so this is not something that should ever be brought up

lebron was 3-4 at that time and the nba needed him to be stopped to preserve the Jordan reputation, Draymond begged and KD joined the warriors and from the Lebron point of view they stole 2 titles that would have gone to him in normal circumstances

Lebron got to those finals and i think he would have beaten any team in the west or the standard golden state team

Homer38 and the rest of you Lebron fans are something else. I am going to repeat that idol worship of another man(not team) is strange.

The reason I joined this board was that prior to the 2011 NBA Finals we had a Lebron fan come on our board (Mavs) and tell us in great detail that we stood no chance at winning the 2011 NBA Finals because Lebron James was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I remember my argument to the LBJ fan was that you are acting like Lebron is Jordan or something...which he is not and never has been.

This Lebron fan went on and on about how what the Mavs had done against the Kobe, Tim Duncan and Kevin Durant meant little because LBJ was the GOAT and could do things that no one else could.

We all know how the 2011 Finals went, but there is no way the Mavs beat the Heat if they replace LBJ with Michael Jordan.

Teams from Texas do not fear Lebron like teams from the Eastern Conference.
Baronious
Freshman
And1: 81

Post#119 » by Baronious » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm

The 3-6 finals record talk is the dumbest argument I've ever seen. We're penalizing LeBron because he overachieved and made it to the finals when his team had no business of being there? I guess he should have lost in the first round like Jordan did. That seems to be a bigger achievement in people's eyes... 2011 is the only year you can hold against him. That's it.

Jordan never had to face an all time great time like the warriors or 2014 SAS. He never had a finals appearance where both Pippen and Rodman were injured as well...

Let's also not forget Bulls won 55 games WITHOUT Jordan in 94 and almost made it to the conference finals without him. The only Lebron teams I can think of that may have been able to achieve that feat is the 2011 & 2012 Miami teams because of D Wade. Bulls winning 55 games without him and being 1 game away from the conference finals just shows how great of a team Jordan had around him. It would be fair to say he always had the superior squad in the finals. 6/6 record under those circumstances doesn't really surprise me...
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#120 » by Hero » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm

LeBron is already the GOAT.

This will just be icing on the cake.

Return to The General Board