ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Keeper! He will be something special.
21%
Bust. He’s not improved and shown the ability to be consistent.
79%

Total votes: 96

NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Re: Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust? 

Post#121 » by NYKAL » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:48 pm

I don't want to start a separate thread but, did anyone else catch the "someone stole your cornbread" Joke one of the analysts made during the clippers game. IF so, did anyone else find it offensive?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#122 » by blueNorange » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:55 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
the only one who fooled you was the Knicks organization and their lack of a developmental staff WHICH, we did not have before

knicks development has nothing to do with knox being bad.

knox was only drafted because fizdale saw him 1 on 1 during workouts.

mike schmitz Espn top draft expert called him a top 5 talent. So try again. Who you want Mikal Bridges? Who at this point is 3 year older Knox and is just a role player averaging 9 points

hasheem thabeet was a top 5 talent and everyone knew this wasn't true, and that was before he got his manhood taken from him over a rebound.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#123 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:35 am

NYKAL wrote:I don't want to start a separate thread but, did anyone else catch the "someone stole your cornbread" Joke one of the analysts made during the clippers game. IF so, did anyone else find it offensive?

Around the nba thread?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ABOVE_THE_RIM
Junior
And1: 50

Post#124 » by ABOVE_THE_RIM » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm

You can’t judge ANY of the players on this team at this point other than Randle and Portis. The Knicks front office undermined all of their development last season by signing vets to try to save face from not getting Zion, KD & Kyrie.

There really was no point in having vets starting and getting big minutes over the younger players just to still end up with the 6th worst record in the league. Especially if you couldn’t/didn’t trade any of the said vets for assets outside of Marcus Morris. Still scratching my head at them keeping Ellington and waiving Trier let alone not playing or giving the best shooter on the team consistent minutes.

I pray this year the move RJ to small forward full-time (since that is his natural position), and start Mitch, Frank and DSJ.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#125 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,568

Post#126 » by Fat Kat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:51 am

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#127 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 am

Fat Kat wrote:Image

So I guess you would trade Knox and Randle for CP3 and a future draft pick. :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#128 » by Cookies4Life » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 am

It would be such a foolish decision to trade him anytime soon. His value is clearly at an all time low, he'd basically be a filler in any trade which is silly given his age and that he was only drafted 2 years ago.

This team should've never signed any of those 1 year deals to the vets last summer. Those guys were just good enough to start over all our lottery talent and it did very little to help any of our young players' development.

Even Frank improved in every offensive category last season (he jumped up over 10 dam percentage points just from the FT line,) and he saw the least minutes per game in his entire career. Outside of Marcus Morris- and solely because he landed us a draft pick- we should've never hired any of these mercenary contracts. I wish all the kids played 25+ minutes last year and were fixtures in the rotation. Who knows, we might've had even a few more losses which could've helped us with our draft position.

Who knows what Kevin would've looked like had he not been in and out of the rotation so much. It can't help any player's confidence let alone a 20 year old player.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#129 » by Jimmit79 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm

People are funny Knox and Dsjr couldn't even play in carefree zero responsibility environment under Mills now they expect this guys to produce in tyrant military zone of thibs lol.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#130 » by Cookies4Life » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:People are funny Knox and Dsjr couldn't even play in carefree zero responsibility environment under Mills now they expect this guys to produce in tyrant military zone of thibs lol.

That's generalizing things a bit.

DSJ had a lot of issues coming into last season and clearly his play devolved compared to the season before. Knox only had 1 or 2 good months as a rookie and his game also stagnated greatly.

It didn't help that they decided to sign all these 1 year deals to veterans who aren't good players but at this juncture in their career they're better than our lottery talent. That's because the majority of our young guys are projects- that means it takes a few years to see if any of them will develop.

You don't cut bait with lottery players after 1 or 2 years and dump them off when their value is at an all time low.

It's obvious not all of them are going to take the next step in their evolution and some could even be out of the league within the next few seasons.

They still should have every available opportunity to get consistent minutes and play, especially considering we're supposed to be in a true rebuild. There's many ways for young players to develop but nothing can substitute actual in game play against other NBA players.

Looking in retrospect, did it seem like a good move to hire all those 1 year contracts? Gibson essentially took MItchell's starting role away, Knox accrued a bunch of DNP's as did DSJ so that guys like Payton and Randle could see extensive playing time.

I'd much rather have not signed anyone last offseason, let the kids sink or swim and live with whatever the results are. If they're as bad as you make them out to be, we would've had a worse record last season had they played big minutes and we'd probably be in a better draft position.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#131 » by NY 567 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 pm

He's legit awful and one of the worst players in the league but he's still young. I don't really see the potential in him though, but I hope I'm wrong
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,354

Post#132 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:People are funny Knox and Dsjr couldn't even play in carefree zero responsibility environment under Mills now they expect this guys to produce in tyrant military zone of thibs lol.

A lot of people do well with structure.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#133 » by Esq-4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Both. He's a bust so far, but you keep him to hope it turns around given his youth and the dumpster fire our team has been.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#134 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:03 am

Apparently he's a bust unless he's mentioned as the main component of a CP3(or similar) trade proposal. Then he's a talented young asset (both for Knicks fans and for those proposing he should be the centerpiece of a trade).

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,445

Post#135 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:26 am

Fat Kat wrote:Image

I mean he did block Zion shot a couple times either the previous play or right after this lol
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#136 » by Infinitimind » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:09 am

I see you probably never play basketball in your life. Care free, how can you play your game if you Are in and out of the line up. Playing inconsistent minutes like we are playing for the chip. Players need consistent minutes and put in a position to succeed . What we did to Knox was a crime. The kid is in his head playing scare, instead of being in power by our coaching staff.

Dsj came from Dallas averaging 18 a game and came here and average 6. Shows how good our coaching staff. I have no doubt Smith will get 18 a game this year
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#137 » by whocares1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:37 pm

moocow007 wrote:As bad as the "advanced stats" said Knox was I thought he actually had a very good rookie season considering the everyone knew you were dealing with a project type guy.

Then, in traditional Knick tradition, instead of trying to develop and build on that, they sign a bunch of hired gun vets and bury Knox (and several other young players) on the bench. And instead of just sending him to the D League (which just about every sane and functional front office would do) so he can play they keep him on the parent club letting him just rot away (both in terms of lack of development and tanking his value).

There is talent there. He showed it in flashes during his rookie season. My question/concern is more about his mental toughness not his physical tools or basketball skills. A bit too early to be dumping him IMHO. You should at least let a functional front office and a clearly upgraded coaching staff with on paper a much better notion of player development work with him. Then if he still fails then you know for sure.

I wouldn't keep him at all costs but then again I wouldn't be giving him away for a 2nd round pick if that's all he can get you.

I mentioned this previously (not saying that they are the same type of player) but Jermaine Oneal looked even more lost than Knox did his first 2 years in the league and it took him 3 years to really start getting a feel for it. And obviously JO turned out to be pretty good.

He had a good rookie season..offensively. When the vets and expectations came in, he was never going to be consistently in the lineup unless his league worst defense improved. It didn’t and thus it stalled his offensive development as well.
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#138 » by cooch2584 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Hes such a bust hes hit rock bottom and has nowhere to go but up but I don't wanna keep him and wait for his "up" to happen
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#139 » by blueNorange » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:39 pm

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:
Read on Twitter

knox has literally ruined workout videos for everyone.

big time fraud.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#140 » by blueNorange » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:41 pm

F N 11 wrote:

A lot of people do well with structure.

okay, but kevin knox is not good at anything.

he got drafted because fizdale is dumb and saw one 1on1 during predraft workouts.

that's it -- everything he offers is below average-average.
LOL Y U MAD THO?

Return to New York Knicks