ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Paul & Blake Griffin Appreciation Thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Chris Paul & Blake Griffin Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 am

Long time passed we never make one appreciation thread for the 2 stars of the Lob City Clippers.

They failed in the playoffs but at least Blake was in tear, sweat and blood in games. Both played till their injuries to get a W. They were short, choked but at least they bring it on all games.

Now we miss that when we look our "stars" :noway:
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Re: Chris Paul & Blake Griffin Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by og15 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Those teams with less talent, size, length and depth put up a better fight than this team. Out of the Clippers recent 4 Stars, Paul George has easily shown himself to be the weakest. I actually wouldn't pick this years Clippers to beat either the 13-14 or 14-15 Clippers team, which is sad.

This collapse certainly vindicates those guys, because they had larger faults in the roster. Give those guys Lou Williams, Harrell, Green, Shamet off the bench and they would have done more with them.

Both CP and BG are simply better players at creating for teammates and "making teammates better" than Kawhi and George though, that's part of the difference. They needed a bigger (size wise) scorer next to them, but these guys need a better playmaker next to them, pretty funny. This years team needed just a decent PG for Doc's style or better coaching and system to bring those guys talents together better.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm

I'll always appreciate Blake. He was the face of the worst franchise in sports and never once complained about it. He put a ton of work into his game and got better every year and was only derailed by injuries. This organization did him dirty with the way they traded him.

Sadly, most of our fans didn't appreciate him while he was here. People literally wanted to trade him for Melo. It was ridiculous.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:12 pm

On a day where they probably have shiet eating grins on their faces, I will not participate in appreciating them.

Give me a few days and I'll come back and appreciate their contributions to our franchise.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Tudalop
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#5 » by Tudalop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:20 pm

They were horrible fit for the 3pt-era started by the Warriors. Would have been the best pair of players outside of it.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#6 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm

og15 wrote:Those teams with less talent, size, length and depth put up a better fight than this team. Out of the Clippers recent 4 Stars, Paul George has easily shown himself to be the weakest. I actually wouldn't pick this years Clippers to beat either the 13-14 or 14-15 Clippers team, which is sad.

This collapse certainly vindicates those guys, because they had larger faults in the roster. Give those guys Lou Williams, Harrell, Green, Shamet off the bench and they would have done more with them.

Both CP and BG are simply better players at creating for teammates and "making teammates better" than Kawhi and George though, that's part of the difference. They needed a bigger (size wise) scorer next to them, but these guys need a better playmaker next to them, pretty funny. This years team needed just a decent PG for Doc's style or better coaching and system to bring those guys talents together better.

Agreed with everything you sad and want to add that, Blake and Chris literally played till injuring themselves just to get to a game in playoffs. It's strange that I have to even mention this but I don't see Kawhi&PG sacrifice from themselves for half of what these dudes did. Their Media conference after eliminations shows they frustrated, beaten because they care. I won't see that on Paul George, Lou Williams or Kawhi Leonard.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Post#7 » by og15 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Tudalop wrote:They were horrible fit for the 3pt-era started by the Warriors. Would have been the best pair of players outside of it.

Their defense was their biggest issue due to lack of defensive length and talent, they still had the best offense in the league in 13-14 and 14-15, and they were too injured the seasons after that to do anything anyways.

In hindsight, the funny thing is that if the Clippers brought in D'Antoni in 2013 instead of Doc, Blake would probably have been shooting three's by 2014 and the roster decisions would probably have been in line with keeping up with the 3PT era and analytics. Also not likely any Austin Rivers love, etc.

MartinToVaught wrote:I'll always appreciate Blake. He was the face of the worst franchise in sports and never once complained about it. He put a ton of work into his game and got better every year and was only derailed by injuries. This organization did him dirty with the way they traded him.

Sadly, most of our fans didn't appreciate him while he was here. People literally wanted to trade him for Melo. It was ridiculous.
Blake for Melo was laughable, there were a few of us, I remember who even thought the idea of him for PG when that was mentioned was not good and that Blake was better than George.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#8 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:36 pm

what i wouldn't give to get cp3 back on this exact team
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01 pm

og15 wrote:Those teams with less talent, size, length and depth put up a better fight than this team. Out of the Clippers recent 4 Stars, Paul George has easily shown himself to be the weakest. I actually wouldn't pick this years Clippers to beat either the 13-14 or 14-15 Clippers team, which is sad.

Those teams I think had better player depth and everything over this team. Shamet/Lou/Harrell were shaky all year on their roles and Shamet-Lou never worked together. Would say the opposite give this years team any other years bench and we likely win the 2nd round.

Those past teams always backup defenders to cover DJ. If we think about it we never had a one way big until the retool. Even Glen Davis was superior to Trez.

CP and Blake were better playmakers but it may say more about the coaching staff because even those teams fell apart. Making players better without a system won’t do anything when things get tight and JJ/Barnes/Crawford and whoever else on the team has no idea what to do. We had Gentry and other scoring assistant minds and the teams always failed
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,197

Post#10 » by Clemenza » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Props to CP3 but I hope Blake somehow gets to retire as a Clipper. He changed the franchise around. His rookie year unreal and turned us into fiends. It wasn't about if he'd win mvp but how many. With Doc as GM and head coach the Lob City teams were so top heavy and not much off the bench beyond Crawford- who is pretty much like Lou Will as he's ineffective come playoff time.

-on a slightly different note, you guys noticed how Bron played damn near every game this season, was a vocal leader, challenged the team, etc. before the shutdown while Kawhi played pretty much every other game and had kinda of a lais-sez-faire mentality and now you really see how it all added up to where we are today. Love that we have Kawhi, and even though I'm still pissed at this team, and of course add in Doc's non adjustments and the team's bubble antics.. it actually does make sense the way things turned out imo.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#11 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 pm

I hated how when these two were gone, people here tried to act like Doc survived and was kept around because he was the most moral out of the three of them...

As if he had more character than CP and Blake.

**** that.
These two were my guys for that entire stretch. Both of them. See my name and the gif in my avi. It aint switched over to nothing with Kawhi's Clippers.

It's Chris and Blake who deserved a beefed up front office and a quality coach who could get them to a WCF or even a finals.

Instead, they got Doc the POBO who almost destroyed our franchise altogether.
Who knows where we'd be if CP didn't graciously allow us to trade him to Houston.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers