ImageImageImageImageImage

we were so close to getting Murray

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,778

Re: we were so close to getting Murray 

Post#21 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Arguably the biggest mistake of Masai's tenure. With that Knicks pick he could have definitely built a package to move up and get Murray. With a running mate like that there is no way Kawhi leaves for Pandemic P. A Kitchener man leading this team for a decade plus would bring all of Canada together.

Lol at all this.

And you don't have the foggiest of clues as to how Murray played last year.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#22 » by nabbs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm

ash_k wrote:Murray is just a confirmation that scouting and ranking for elite players might have to change

10 years ago, Murray's game and size would be the one of a 6th man. Combo-guards were not starters. Jamal is a pure combo-guard as much as he likes to say "I have played point most of my life".

Ben Simmons
Brandon Ingram
Jaylen Brown

Would you draft Murray ahead of any of those guys? I am not there yet :lol: , I would not!

Aside from defence, Murray's big questions were strength and PG skills. His ball handling has really come a long way.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#23 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 pm

How were we so close?! lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#24 » by Danny1616 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

I do recall Masai trying to move up for Murray, but it never happened.

But Pascal and Fred are still incredible finds that year.

Imagine though if we snagged Murray, Pascal and Fred...my god.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#25 » by T-d0t » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:
Read on Twitter
JeezImage
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#26 » by Danny1616 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:How were we so close?! lol

Murray went #7 and we had the #9 pick in the 2016 draft.

There was some buzz that we would take Murray if he landed to us that draft.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#27 » by T-d0t » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm

7th pick - Murray
9th pick - Poeltl

Knicks didn't do their part that year
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#28 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Danny1616 wrote:

Murray went #7 and we had the #9 pick in the 2016 draft.

There was some buzz that we would take Murray if he landed to us that draft.

Saying we were close would imply we had a deal on the table to swap picks, move up in the draft or something to that effect or lost him due to a coin toss (Ross) - not a scenario where it was never an option.

No one says how close they were to drafting someone they never had a chance to other than loser Knick fans who cry about “how close they were” to drafting Curry. Are we next going to start a thread about how close we were to drafting LeBron when we got Bosh or Curry instead of DeRozan?! lol being within a few picks doesn’t make it a real thing.

It was a surprise Murray even fell that far. In actuality ya drafting Giannis was closer to being a reality because all rumours leading up to the draft was Masai was red hot about selecting him with what was the Steven Adams pick (before Giannis was selected by the Bucks but Colangelo traded it away. Murray was never an option.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#29 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:Arguably the biggest mistake of Masai's tenure. With that Knicks pick he could have definitely built a package to move up and get Murray. With a running mate like that there is no way Kawhi leaves for Pandemic P. A Kitchener man leading this team for a decade plus would bring all of Canada together.

Lol at all this.

I've been following him closely since he burst onto the Canadian basketball scene at the Biosteel All-Star game. He was also outstanding at the U16s and Pan Ams. If I was in the war room with Masai I would have told him to double down on Murray and do everything in your power to secure him.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,778

Post#30 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Lol at all this.

I've been following him closely since he burst onto the Canadian basketball scene at the Biosteel All-Star game. He was also outstanding at the U16s and Pan Ams. If I was in the war room with Masai I would have told him to double down on Murray and do everything in your power to secure him.

I'm sure you have. Yet you make a post that runs completely opposite to reality in saying Leonard would have stayed like he played like a star in 2018-19. Whatever dude...just make up whatever you want.
wow09
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,559

Post#31 » by wow09 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:27 pm

2025 bring him home
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#32 » by B-Ball Freak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 pm

blastttOFF wrote:Murray has another level in the playoffs. Him and jokic pick and roll is like Malone and Stockton 2.0

This is what I was thinking watching him rip good defensive teams to shreds in these playoffs, that he has another gear in the playoffs (so does Jokic). If he can bring that more consistently in the regular season then he will become a perennial all star and maybe even become a superstar.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#33 » by Raps1103 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Lol at all this.

I'm sure you have. Yet you make a post that runs completely opposite to reality in saying Leonard would have stayed like he played like a star in 2018-19. Whatever dude...just make up whatever you want.

I’m surprised ppl still reply to this joke of a poster ( pooh)
He’s a troll, or just doesn’t know what he’s talking about ... either way he simply spews negativity in basically every one of his posts !!! He’s just not worth the time or effort to interact with ...
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#34 » by howlin mad axer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 pm

Haven't seen Murray play as much as I'd like, but his numbers suggest he's one of the most prolific scoring point guards of all time.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#35 » by libertyYYZ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:If he was here doing what he's doing now he'd be the biggest star in Canada by far.
I love our team but I pray one day we get a great canadian on our team to come play

We had Tracy Murray and Lamond Murray. Lamond sucked.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#36 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 am

ash_k wrote:Murray is just a confirmation that scouting and ranking for elite players might have to change

10 years ago, Murray's game and size would be the one of a 6th man. Combo-guards were not starters. Jamal is a pure combo-guard as much as he likes to say "I have played point most of my life".

Ben Simmons
Brandon Ingram
Jaylen Brown

Would you draft Murray ahead of any of those guys? I am not there yet :lol: , I would not!

Same with the scouting report on Jokic. He was considered fat and lazy.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#37 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:47 am

He'll be a free agent right when he hits his prime so you never know...
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#38 » by beanbag » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:56 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Lol at all this.

Who says he didn't?
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#39 » by Roco14 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Lol at all this.

I watched that biosteel game as well. Murray had superstar written all over him and was way, way better than all of the others on the court. Hindsight is always 2020 but I agree with you that I would've traded anything at that time to get him.
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#40 » by SharoneWright » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:41 am

Literally no one cares that he's a "Kitchener man" or that he's from Canada. Can we get past this please? He's a very good player. Raptors would like to have very good players, no matter the country of origin. Winning is the goal. Not hyping our players as a carnival show or material for Coach's Corner.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Raptors