Having no fans in the playoffs tells us something

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Laker1
Assistant Coach
And1: 154

Having no fans in the playoffs tells us something 

Post#1 » by Laker1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 pm

I think having no fans in arenas let’s us know which teams depend too much on home court advantage and exposes mental midgets, it’s a revelation in my opinion.

Watching the Clippers meltdown made me think how much mental midgets depend on crowds to give them motivation and hope. I don’t think the NBA would ever do this again but in my opinion we are watching pure basketball with no home crowds right now, I love it. It’s separating the pretenders from the real ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,279

Re: Having no fans in the playoffs tells us something 

Post#2 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Bucks had home court last year and got exposed.

PG had home court last year and got exposed.
Laker1
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by Laker1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Bucks had home court last year and got exposed.

I see your point. Bucks are a young team in my opinion and that is usually the case with them. The Clippers had the best player since Jordan according to most people. Do you think the clippers would of blown this if they played the tradition playoff format with fans?

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,279

Post#4 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Laker1 wrote:

I see your point. Bucks are a young team in my opinion and that is usually the case with them. The Clippers had the best player since Jordan according to most people. Do you think the clippers would of blown this if they played the tradition playoff format with fans?

Do Clippers even draw a full arena?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,233

Post#5 » by bisme37 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 pm

I don't think this had anything to do with the Clippers loss.

If anything, I think the Clips were a team that just didn't want to be in the bubble in the first place. Several of the guys were out of shape and their minds were elsewhere. They want to live that NBA lifestyle. They voted to end the season at first.

And even with guys like Kawhi... I think he wanted to win but as the series got harder and harder even he was thinking "well I can play my ass off and carry these guys and try to win, or I can finally get out of this damn bubble and get back to the strip club." And once that thought gets in your mind you've already lost.

So maybe it's fair to call out mental weakness but I don't think the lack of fans had anything to do with it.
e_l_f_o
Junior
And1: 143

Post#6 » by e_l_f_o » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Laker1 wrote:

Best player since Jordan?? WTF :o :lol:
KL is great and a HOF but the hype this guy has is unreal
Llull, Llull, Llull!!
Laker1
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Laker1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 pm

bisme37 wrote:I don't think this had anything to do with the Clippers loss.

If anything, I think the Clips were a team that just didn't want to be in the bubble in the first place. Several of the guys were out of shape and their mind was elsewhere. They want to live that NBA lifestyle. They voted to end the season at first.

And even with guys like Kawhi... I think he wanted to win but as the series got harder and harder even he was thinking "well I can play my ass off and carry these guys and try to win, or I can finally get out of this damn bubble and get back to the strip club." And once that thought gets in your mind you've already lost.

So maybe it's fair to call out mental weakness but I don't think the lack of fans had anything to do with it.

Interesting take, i agree maybe they just didn’t want to be there.

Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#8 » by Joker » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:55 pm

But you could make the argument that playoff road games in front of crowds exposes the guys who can’t take the pressure of hostile environments.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#9 » by Liam_Gallagher » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:57 pm

It's no surprise that the Lakers, who were the best road team in the league by far, are the favourites in the bubble.
Laker1
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Laker1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:57 pm

e_l_f_o wrote:
Laker1 wrote:

Best player since Jordan?? WTF :o :lol:
KL is great and a HOF but the hype this guy has is unreal

I agree with you about KL. People were saying all year that he was better than LeBron. Who in your opinion is the best player since Jordan? I personally think it’s between LeBron, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe and another name or two. That’s why I said people were saying he was the best player since Jordan.

GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#11 » by GregOden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Organized basketball includes crowds as part of the game. If basketball was only played on an empty gym then all the people who can't handle noise or distractions would be doing well. Anyone whose played organized basketball before have seen how many guys who can look like all stars in the gym but become mental midgets in front a crowd. We used to call those guys "after the game all stars."
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,135

Post#12 » by Edrees » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:02 pm

The best thing about this is that bad free throw shooters can't blame it on crowd noise anymore. Nobody who was bad at FT's is any better in the bubble. In fact, some players are even worse. It goes to show you that poor free throw shooting is more likely a result of poor form.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#13 » by celtics543 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm

I don't think it's worked out any different than it would have otherwise. Perhaps the specific games won would be different, I don't think the away team would have won every game in the Celtics/Raptors series, but overall I don't think the series would have been any different.
Laker1
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by Laker1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm

GregOden wrote:Organized basketball includes crowds as part of the game. If basketball was only played on an empty gym then all the people who can't handle noise or distractions would be doing well. Anyone whose played organized basketball before have seen how many guys who can look like all stars in the gym but become mental midgets in front a crowd. We used to call those guys "after the game all stars."

I agree. Except we are comparing regular folk to NBA caliber players here. NBA players are used to playing in arenas with either a home or away crowd. There’s a reason why they want home court advantage. I just think that playing in the bubble does expose mentally weak teams and individual players who otherwise would of had at least 3 games with a huge crowd in playoff atmosphere.

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,216

Post#15 » by coldfish » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm

IMO, the reffing is better and that's a direct result of not having fans screaming the the ref's ears. That may be affecting certain players more than others.

I'm not saying they are perfect but in game they seem to be more consistent.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#16 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Laker1 wrote:

I see your point. Bucks are a young team in my opinion and that is usually the case with them. The Clippers had the best player since Jordan according to most people. Do you think the clippers would of blown this if they played the tradition playoff format with fans? Yes they are Lakers fan that can’t afford Lakers tickets

Do Clippers even draw a full arena?
Forum permissions