Image ImageImage Image

OT Bears 2019/20 season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season 

Post#61 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 pm

fleet wrote:what happened to Riley Ridley? Does not bode well if this kid is taking the snaps.

He was inactive this week. Seems he's been unable to break through.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#62 » by Susan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 pm

fleet wrote:what happened to Riley Ridley? Does not bode well if this kid is taking the snaps.

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-chi-6.php

0 snaps. Different positions I think, he's behind Ginn/Mooney. Both guys are burners ahead of him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#63 » by dougthonus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Susan wrote:lol, what? 98 catches, 1150 yards and 7 TDs last year is easily his second best season. Our first year he was coming off of a torn ACL and he's played with Mitch and Blake Bortles as his QBs. Dude's a stud and he's 100% worth extending considering his talent level, age and his maturity level.

May not have said that clearly.

His last 2 seasons aren't his best 2 seasons. His previous season absolutely was his second best season. His season 2 years ago was not that great though. Overall, he's had elite WR1 numbers once (5 years ago), had middle of the pack WR1 numbers last year.

I'm fine extending him if he wants money placing him as a starting caliber #1 WR but I wouldn't extend him at premier #1 WR money which is my understanding of what he wants. He's had one season (5 years ago) that warranted paying him elite WR money.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#64 » by dougthonus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Susan wrote:
There was an article in the Trib today saying that he asked to be traded.

He denied it and Schefter reported it as false.

Sounds like if it wasn't asked for that it was at least hinted at given there were multiple reports of it. Someone came out with that, and it wasn't out of nowhere. The Bears (as far as I can tell) didn't leak this as they seemed to want to keep negotiations internal.

I don't blame Robinson for negotiating however he wants, football negotiations are always wonky and contentious in this way relative to other sports likely due to the weird payment schedules and lack of guarnatees, but it sure seems like he's pushing this agenda to pressure the Bears (removing all his social media Bears stuff, and this story leaks don't seem to be unrelated).
@doug_thonus on twitter
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#65 » by CjayC » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Mooney has the wheels to move the defense. Supposedly he was one of the more impressive receivers during camp. Wims being a bigger bodied receiver helps his case for getting on the field. Looks like Ridley just don't have it.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#66 » by dice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Susan wrote:lol, what? 98 catches, 1150 yards and 7 TDs last year is easily his second best season. Our first year he was coming off of a torn ACL and he's played with Mitch and Blake Bortles as his QBs. Dude's a stud and he's 100% worth extending considering his talent level, age and his maturity level.

His last 2 seasons aren't his best 2 seasons. His previous season absolutely was his second best season. His season 2 years ago was not that great though. Overall, he's had elite WR1 numbers once (5 years ago), had middle of the pack WR1 numbers last year.

I'm fine extending him if he wants money placing him as a starting caliber #1 WR but I wouldn't extend him at premier #1 WR money which is my understanding of what he wants. He's had one season (5 years ago) that warranted paying him elite WR money.

he's never played with an accurate QB. PFF has him as the #11 WR in the league despite numbers that would put him at more like #20
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#67 » by fleet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 pm

dice wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

he's never played with an accurate QB. PFF has him as the #11 WR in the league despite numbers that would put him at more like #20

I read something last night that said he was toward the bottom of list in terms of catchable balls.

I'm torn on big money wideouts. The way the Patriots cycle in different receivers and maintain performance shows their value Vs QBs and a well coached offense. OTOH, our particular less than precise QB seems to be especially incapable of performance without the circus catch dimension, so we'll lose games without Robinson. But, can he be replaced?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by dougthonus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

dice wrote:he's never played with an accurate QB. PFF has him as the #11 WR in the league despite numbers that would put him at more like #20

He's the 15th highest paid WR in the NFL this year. That seems like a pretty reasonable amount relative to his performance, especially since he was still clearly recovering his first year here.

I'm not anti-Robinson or anything. If he wants to reup on a deal at 15M per year, then the Bears should look to get it done. If he wants to reup on a deal at 20M per year then I'm not so sure they should rush out to do that. Given he's thrown out the "disrespected" phrase, my assumption is he's looking for 20M+.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dice
RealGM

Post#69 » by dice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:36 pm

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:he's never played with an accurate QB. PFF has him as the #11 WR in the league despite numbers that would put him at more like #20

He's the 15th highest paid WR in the NFL this year. That seems like a pretty reasonable amount relative to his performance, especially since he was still clearly recovering his first year here.

I'm not anti-Robinson or anything. If he wants to reup on a deal at 15M per year, then the Bears should look to get it done. If he wants to reup on a deal at 20M per year then I'm not so sure they should rush out to do that. Given he's thrown out the "disrespected" phrase, my assumption is he's looking for 20M+.

here are the player comps on long-term FA contract sizes:

#3 ranked WR at time of signing/10.2% of cap/5 years/65% guaranteed/signed in 2019 at age 26 michael thomas

#7 8.6%/4 51% 2019 age 29 adam thielen
#9 10.1%/5 60% 2020 age 26 amari cooper
#10 10.2%/4 54% 2020 age 28 keenan allen

the suggestion is that COVID-19 will cause the cap to remain the same next season, and he'll be 28, so the FAIR market value should be close to what keenan allen got this year, which was 4 years/81 million, 54% guaranteed. but robinson's stats are significantly lower, which will likely unfairly punish him. my guess is that his market value is around 4 years/70 mil, 53% guaranteed

that happens to be right in the middle of what you're saying the bears should be looking for and what you suspect he's looking for, which would indeed cause a protracted standoff
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#70 » by dice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 pm

fleet wrote:
dice wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I read something last night that said he was toward the bottom of list in terms of catchable balls.

i read he's toward the TOP of this list in catching off-target balls

I'm torn on big money wideouts. The way the Patriots cycle in different receivers and maintain performance shows their value Vs QBs and a well coached offense. OTOH, our particular less than precise QB seems to be especially incapable of performance without the circus catch dimension, so we'll lose games without Robinson. But, can he be replaced?

everyone except top QBs can be replaced
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#71 » by fleet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 pm

To be clear, being on the bottom of the list meant that he had less catchable balls targeted than those at the top. And he did catch them very well, relatively speaking, I read that too. He makes it look less spectacular than OBJ. I wonder who was more consistent.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM

Post#72 » by Susan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
CjayC
RealGM

Post#73 » by CjayC » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Yeah other than getting trucked he looked very solid, especially under the circumstances.

Meanwhile Damon Arnette allowed a perfect passer rating against him.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,003

Post#74 » by Chi town » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Club Dub this week.

Thinking Bears will run like crazy but also struggle to contain Saquon. Think Mooney will make a big play score.
CjayC
RealGM

Post#75 » by CjayC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:55 am

Cohen just got a 3-year extension, could be a pretty friendly deal down the road. I like his odds at having a bounce back year.

Read on Twitter
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#76 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Mitch looks great today. He even had a TD pass that was perfectly thrown get dropped. He should have 3 TD's in that 1st half. Bears looking good right now.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Chi town
RealGM

Post#77 » by Chi town » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Chi town wrote:This kid has IT. Wow.

Like I said. This kid is going to be a star. I think he has the most talent of all our WRs. That speed is such a huge asset.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#78 » by Chi town » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:Mitch looks great today. He even had a TD pass that was perfectly thrown get dropped. He should have 3 TD's in that 1st half. Bears looking good right now.

Playing better but those sacks are just bad QBing. He’s got to make quicker decisions and not overthink it. Take what the defense gives you.
Susan
RealGM

Post#79 » by Susan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Sup boys!!
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#80 » by Dresden » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:06 pm

What an almost massive choke. Up 17-0 and don't score the whole second half. Bears are going nowhere with an offense this putrid. They've had years to fix this, and it's not getting any better, in fact it's getting worse. They should not let the 2 wins fool them- once they play a good team, they will get slaughtered.

Return to Chicago Bulls