Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain?

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#161 » by jake_swivel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:Particularly interested in Atkinson and Griffin of those candidates. Griffin less because there's some allegations from his ex-wife that are troubling regardless of his quality as a coach, and I'd like to see that laid to rest before anyone hires him.

Completely understand this perspective, but if I'm not mistaken, the allegations were from a twitter/instagram post. How do you lay to rest an instagram post from an ex-wife with no police report?
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#162 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:Particularly interested in Atkinson and Griffin of those candidates. Griffin less because there's some allegations from his ex-wife that are troubling regardless of his quality as a coach, and I'd like to see that laid to rest before anyone hires him.

Completely understand this perspective, but if I'm not mistaken, the allegations were from a twitter/instagram post. How do you lay to rest an instagram post from an ex-wife with no police report?

IIRC there was some stuff in court as well but I could be misremembering. Anyway, they'll hire who they hire.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#163 » by jake_swivel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

IIRC there was some stuff in court as well but I could be misremembering. Anyway, they'll hire who they hire.

The only court stuff is that she accused him of not paying child support. Which one could assume might be motivation for accusations.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#164 » by retrobro90 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Anybody know anything about this Cory Evans guy? Like to see that Givony gave him props after days of not tweeting about anything else.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#165 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Anybody know anything about this Cory Evans guy? Like to see that Givony gave him props after days of not tweeting about anything else.

Vecenie said his reputation is a grinder. Works like crazy.
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#166 » by mr570 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 am

Even though we're not very active... I'm glad we have this place. Thunder Reddit is just yeesh. I just saw the most ridiculous four-way trade that lands Andrew Wiggins in OKC and the guy replies with walls of text about why it's a good thing. LOL imagine helping Golden State get off that contract?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#167 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am

mr570 wrote:Even though we're not very active... I'm glad we have this place. Thunder Reddit is just yeesh. I just saw the most ridiculous four-way trade that lands Andrew Wiggins in OKC and the guy replies with walls of text about why it's a good thing. LOL imagine helping Golden State get off that contract?

Ya I don’t care for the twitter style thread that doesn’t lend itself to any in depth discussion. This place is more active now than it was most of the regular season.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,715

Post#168 » by QPR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am

jambalaya wrote:One "draft miss" that I don't recall being raised often or ever is Jimmy Butler.

Of course everyone has some, but worth remembering. Maybe asking why. Reggie Jackson over Butler? Did they break the best player available guideline to try to fix the backup PG position? Were they afraid of ruffling the feathers of any of several wings and non-wings? Not a Thunder personality? They try so many defensive wing projects and found a reason to pass on Butler? Huh.

Jackson at 24 is not a bad selection by any metric, unless you have information that it was a direct choice between he and Butler (who every GM passed on at least once).
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#169 » by mr570 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
mr570 wrote:Even though we're not very active... I'm glad we have this place. Thunder Reddit is just yeesh. I just saw the most ridiculous four-way trade that lands Andrew Wiggins in OKC and the guy replies with walls of text about why it's a good thing. LOL imagine helping Golden State get off that contract?

Ya I don’t care for the twitter style thread that doesn’t lend itself to any in depth discussion. This place is more active now than it was most of the regular season.

Agree. I just think it's smarter basketball conversation over here too.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,715

Post#170 » by QPR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 am

The PG trade is looking pretty good right about now.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#171 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Whew boy.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#172 » by spearsy23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Are we pretending that was a bad team now?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#173 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Are we pretending that was a bad team now?

Bad enough that Ingles jingled George and we got thrashed by a rookie.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#174 » by spearsy23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm

getrichordie wrote:

End result is not determined by talent level.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#175 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

So we should just stack a bunch of UDFA on a team and be fine?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#176 » by spearsy23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 pm

getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

So we should just stack a bunch of UDFA on a team and be fine?

I'm sorry, for those that lack nuance let me amend to
End result is not determined by talent level alone.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#177 » by Balkman32 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm

QPR wrote:The PG trade is looking pretty good right about now.

If the Thunder move of CP3 and only get expiring back they will have enough for 2 max guys in the Free Agency Frenzy of 21.

Antetokounmpo & Leonard to OKC in 2021????

Shai is the third fiddle. I guess one can dream....
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#178 » by retrobro90 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Balkman32 wrote:

If the Thunder move of CP3 and only get expiring back they will have enough for 2 max guys in the Free Agency Frenzy of 21.

This is not happening and they'd be foolish to prioritize keeping their powder dry for FA pitches. I'm really not allured by expirings for Paul for this reason. Better to have big contracts on the books in the case for trades down the line. Let other teams offload money in exchange for picks and young players.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by Balkman32 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:12 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

This is not happening and they'd be foolish to prioritize keeping their powder dry for FA pitches. I'm really not allured by expirings for Paul for this reason. Better to have big contracts on the books in the case for trades down the line. Let other teams offload money in exchange for picks and young players.

I think you want expiring contracts. But, you want to flip those contracts for more picks and longer contracts.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#180 » by Balkman32 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm

No. I don't think the Thunder are trying to create two max slots for free agents. But, if you watch these teams assemble one of the things that prevents them from being able to build a long term dynasty is the fact that they don't have assets to go get a shooter or a 7/ 8 th man that helps plug some holes or a guy who can run the 2nd unit.

The Thunder will have Dort, Bazley and Shai all under contract plus our 2020 first and the two 2021 first (2 best of OKC, Miami and Houston). Sprinkle in a couple of minimum guys it could be a roster that a super star could come aboard and have it take off.

But, the Thunder will most likely use space to take on guys to help the big market teams go sign a Giannis and who ever he wants.

The one interesting thing is every super star is build different. But, every new one now has the knowledge of how the last one went. If Giannis believes in what the Bucks can do he will stay. But, I can tell you he won't have the options KD had. When looking at everything OKC has everything Giannis would want and need in a franchise plus he could bring whoever he wanted with him. I know OKC usually does not go after FA's but Giannis is different and OKC has the assets to build around him for the next 10 years plus they know how to treat/ protect/ take care of a super star.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder