Jerry West is a GENIUS

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,346

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#61 » by Pablo Escobar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm

He did it for the Lakers :lol: sabotage of epic proportions.
Plata o Plomo?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,421

Post#62 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm

levon wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Jerry West is literally the guy with the best on-going track record of decision making in the history of the NBA. That doesn't mean everything he's doing is perfect, but if you're looking to tear apart a guy who has been making good decisions in the NBA for 60 years because a move he just made and the NBA world thought was reasonable at the time didn't work out, then you're literally just looking to tear down absolutely everyone whenever you have an excuse to.

This tendency toward gleeful nihilism is just ugly.

I'm not tearing West down. I've said multiple times he's a top executive. I don't even know what he does for the Clippers. He might just be a spokesperson. None of this is West's fault. I'm just now also applying the Clippers' letdown to him, since his mythos gets aggrandized after every perceived success, even though we have little idea of what he actually does as a consultant for these teams. I want to keep the discussion around these people objective, because I think the Clippers' shortcoming this year is because of unobjective arrogance.

You might want to tell that to your thread title and original post. Your tone there does not match your tone here at all.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Re: Jerry West é um GÊNIO 

Post#63 » by r0drig0lac » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm

lol haters of the Logo in 2020, if Kawhi and PG13 played like they mattered and if Doc wasn't a complete idiot, that thread would never be created.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,748

Post#64 » by leolozon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 pm

And they were the favorite to win the title and didn't deliver. Jerry West wasn't on the floor. Management created a team that was good enough to win the championship, then it's up to the players to deliver, which they didn't do.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#65 » by Jables » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Unpopular opinion - fully acknowledging he is amazing at his job, his impact as an executive is overrated to an extent, basketball revolves around getting stars and I'd like to see him do the same for some random Eastern conference team (the type that superstars never want to move to). Kawhi didn't go the Clippers because of Jerry West. He would've gone to the Lakers if LeBron didn't go there, it is that simple. Come to think of it he did do pretty well at the Grizzlies which I just recalled he was at, but it's not the same.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#66 » by Anticon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Do people actually think he's the one making final basketball decisions for the Clippers? I really would be very surprised if he was the one negotiating draft compensation for George or Morris.

They have a front office like any other team. Those are the guys to criticize.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#67 » by timO » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm

The worst thing is that KL didnt need PG for nothing, he is capable of win with him as lonely star, like he did with raps.

And Kawhi force the trade for PG.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,276

Post#68 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 pm

The blame rests with Kawhi. He's the one who insisted on the Clips trading for George.
As usual, players make terrible GMs. They think stars are all that matter, and discount things like culture, coaching, fit, etc.
He thought if they had George he wouldn't have to take tough defensive assignments anymore and could coast to rings, but it rarely works like that with the single exception of KD going to the Dubs thanks to an unprecedented cap spike that prolly never happens again.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#69 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Didn't realize they gave up that much for Morris :o
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,877

Post#70 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 pm

levon wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its idiotic to criticize this trade when it got them Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. Everyone would do it. Are you really pretending you wouldn't do it and allow Kawhi to go to the Lakers?

The Clippers basically had no chance to play together this year because of injuries and the pandemic. Still should have won, but its very plausible that they improve next year.

If they win next year it will all be worth it. I don't blame Jerry West one bit.

Only thing they should change is the coach. Doc Rivers had had enough chances.

You conveniently ignored the Marcus Morris rental trade. "Basically had no chance to play together": spare me the Docisms.

Pelinka trading the farm for AD, twice the player PG is, was considered a move that anyone can pull since AD tanked his value. Yet the Clippers trading everyone for PG because they couldn't get Kawhi to sign to basically his only viable option (join Lakers, get trashed worse than Durant, otherwise play in Canada) is some kind of no-brainer, 10/10 trade?

This is the kind of benefit of the doubt we afforded the Clippers all year. Guys like West and Doc being media darlings is hindering the ability for the actual Clippers org to make the right evaluations. They drank their own Koolaid.

Kawhi was the best thing to happen to the Thunder.

LOL what did they even give up for Marcus Morris? That was not a bad trade at all.

Anthony Davis wanted to go to the Lakers and was traded there before Kawhi made his intentions a possibility. They couldn't trade for him.

Are you really trying to make the argument that the Clippers should have let Kawhi sign with the Lakers and watch them win 3 Championships while they become even more irrelevant?

That's really your genius strategy?

Any team would have done that deal.

It was the right move to make. They could still easily win it all next year or the year after. They have the talent to do it.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,175

Post#71 » by Impuniti » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:41 pm

They had the team to win, not his fault the coach and their superstars choked. Also Kawhi wanted PG to join for him to join them. This is what happens when players become GMs.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#72 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:57 pm

The Clippers sent Mo Harkless, this year's first round pick, the right to a swap for next year's 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick next year for a rental and someone says that trade is not bad at all lol.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,668

Post#73 » by homecourtloss » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:02 pm

levon wrote:The Clippers sent SGA, Gallo, 5 first round picks, and 2 pick swaps for Paul George.

Then proceeded to send Moe Harkless, a 2020 first round pick, swap rights to two picks, and filler for Marcus **** Morris.

I'm a Lakers fan so I credit Jerry for discovering Kobe and being an architect of that threepeat. But some of the incessant stanning of this dude in the basketball world is :roll: .

Oh but did you guys hear he threatened to quit if the Warriors traded Klay for K Love?

Man, what a difference a year makes. All we heard was about the genius of West, how Kawhi was a cold-blooded assassin who operates silently/deadly/coldly/Jordanesquely/mamba like/etc., and that LeGM had mortgaged the future by trading the youth away for a few selfish years in which they weren’t even that good.

Good times.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#74 » by BBgun » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:Clippers really about to open up a stadium in inglewood

With no championships
No picks
I doubt Kawhi or pg will be there in 2024 or 2025

Kawhi might not even be there in 2022. Don't take it for granted that he won't leave after next season if they don't get a ring by then. He doesn't have to be a Clipper to be in California.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,497

Post#75 » by ropjhk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm

He's old. He's not going to be around when those traded picks hurt the Clippers future. He was all in for this season.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#76 » by mcgrady_1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:50 pm

Spintown wrote:I think it was Kawhi more than Jerry. I believe Jerry wanted to get Beal for less assets but kawhi wanted a wing capable of guarding the other teams best player.

Afterwards reports came out that kawhi was ok with beal or PG

I thought Beal couldn't be traded until this coming off season?
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#77 » by Mak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:Clippers really about to open up a stadium in inglewood

With no championships
No picks
I doubt Kawhi or pg will be there in 2024 or 2025

They might be, but thats even worse. Both will be making the max on the downside of their career.
mcgrady_1
Veteran

Post#78 » by mcgrady_1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 pm

timO wrote:The worst thing is that KL didnt need PG for nothing, he is capable of win with him as lonely star, like he did with raps.

And Kawhi force the trade for PG.

I think if he there were no trades happening he ends up back in Toronto on a 1 + 1. I really can't imagine he goes to the Lakers though.
audiosway
Junior
And1: 263

Post#79 » by audiosway » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:59 pm

SleepingDragon wrote:
Lawyershawn wrote:The trade was also implicitly for Kawhi Leonard.

It was a good trade. They had a legit shot at a ring.

Kawhi just wanted a 2nd star to play with, PG13 is not the only choice.

Jerry West overpaid for PG13.

Maybe it's just time to admit that Doc isn't that great of a coach. Rondo led his Boston teams with Thibs scheming for the D. CP3 led the Clippers teams before this group.

There have only been 13 times a team has been up 3-1 in a series and lost. Doc owns 3 of those.
mcgrady_1
Veteran

Post#80 » by mcgrady_1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:I know it's easy to **** on the Clippers and understandably so, but their window isn't closed. They'll be in the hunt again next season.

Yeah, you're right. I guess the Clippers had to do it. They could have done without the Morris trade though.

Also, about their window, It seemed like this was the year. With the Warriors about to get healthy, Dallas getting better, Denver getting better, Brooklyn looking like a potential powerhouse, Boston and Miami getting better and so on. It's not gonna get easier from here.

Return to The General Board