2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,343

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#3441 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:58 pm

eminence wrote:The Bucks not going after CP3 is fine enough, but the reasoning focusing on how much he's paid seems like a bad sign.

Agree completely.

I'll also say, there are pros and cons to going after Paul, but it's a plan that could plausibly get them over the hump, and this is a team that NEEDS a plan for getting over the hump.

If you're not going after Paul, you better be doing something. If they simply roll it back they'll deserve to lose Giannis if things don't magically get better.

I'll add the requisite Malcolm Brogdan reference: Really not sure if Brogdan on the team helps them beat Miami, but the memory of what happened with Bledsoe-Brogdan is an open would that won't be closed until the team gets over the hump, and these are the things that tend to convince a player who doesn't want to leave his team that he needs to leave his team.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,409

Post#3442 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Man that's such a gut punch to read for Bucks fans imo. As a big CP guy I absolutely wanted him to go to that team and be the Big O to Giannis' Kareem. These types of reasonings by some of these owners just reeks of having your cake and wanting to eat it too. Like they'll go hard enough to have a reasonable shot to win a championship despite marked flaws but they won't put up the bills to really get over the hump and secure an airtight team that's more resilient to extraordinary playoff schemes.

There's a saying in the Bible that says you can't serve two masters and that you have to choose between your money and your God (dw I'll get back on topic lol). A lot of these owners have a foot in two boats and wanna contend but also make money too. If you're gonna go for it then go for it. That's why I respect Dan Gilbert during some of those LeBron years. He sacrificed serious money to make runs at championships.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,578

Post#3443 » by parsnips33 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Heej wrote:Man that's such a gut punch to read for Bucks fans imo. As a big CP guy I absolutely wanted him to go to that team and be the Big O to Giannis' Kareem. These types of reasonings by some of these owners just reeks of having your cake and wanting to eat it too. Like they'll go hard enough to have a reasonable shot to win a championship despite marked flaws but they won't put up the bills to really get over the hump and secure an airtight team that's more resilient to extraordinary playoff schemes.

There's a saying in the Bible that says you can't serve two masters and that you have to choose between your money and your God (dw I'll get back on topic lol). A lot of these owners have a foot in two boats and wanna contend but also make money too. If you're gonna go for it then go for it. That's why I respect Dan Gilbert during some of those LeBron years. He sacrificed serious money to make runs at championships.

100%. Cavs could have easily let Tristan Thompson or any number of guys walk like Bucks with Brogdon or Houston with Ariza. You have to pay for the ticket if you wanna take the ride.
Heej
General Manager

Post#3444 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Also, just wanna put this out there but Joker really is the Millenial Dirk to me now. With the way he elevates his game and force on the glass in the playoffs, plus how he steps his s*** up during elimination games. This man has really pushed the paradigm forward on how the future big man can be effective in the playoffs vs the full spread of coverage options.

Like Dirk showed with his shooting you need that to punish the classic deep drops and hard shows on PnR teams will throw at you. Jokic takes that to another level cuz on traps where Dirk might 1 dribble stop and pop for a middy, Jokic unlocks even higher EV shots with his playmaking vs the weakside defenders.

I really expect him to be an inspiration for all young Cs in the future, and for the longest time now I've thought that the true litmus test of a contender vs a pretender is whether the 5 man can either space the floor or defend pnr at an elite level. Because the playoffs are all about finding a weakness and chipping away at it. 1-5 pnr is still the sacred cow of bread and butter NBA plays because teams have learned to be comfortable switching every other action, but 1-5 pnr is the one play that can still get you a defense in rotation mode provided the opponent can't just play drop coverage and keep backside rotations to a minimum. This is where KP failed the Nuggets. He can eliminate drop coverages but he can't kill on switches so there's still a non-scramble inducing card that can be played on him.

If your big man is like Jokic and Dirk where they can easily make the switch non-viable but still reliably punish the other schemes in space you legit just have a pick your poison kind of play to go to every time and expect a fine shot because every other coverage now involves 3 people plugging up 2 and the backside defense will always have to scramble. There's only so much a defense can do if you can't plain handle a PNR 2v2. Plus Murray is a great rendition of the modern archetypal playmake and shoot off the dribble spread PnR guard that further eliminates drop coverage from the playbook so I gotta say man I am f***ing LOVING this nuggets team :lol:. I'm fascinated by this matchup and wonder how much zone will be thrown in there by the Lakers.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#3445 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm

eminence wrote:The Bucks not going after CP3 is fine enough, but the reasoning focusing on how much he's paid seems like a bad sign.

I mean after Brogdon what else would be expected?

That rumor was obviously bs from day one.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#3446 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#3447 » by limbo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 pm

1st team reaction: ''wow, Luka actually made it. Thought it was gonna be either Kawhi or Jokic''

2nd team reaction: ''Not bad for old man CP3. Siakam definitely overrated, should've had Jimmy or Tatum there.'

3rd team reaction: ''the f*ck is Westbrook doing there bruv...''
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#3448 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Did Lebron get the 1st team G spot or Luka? Because I'm mad Dame didn't get first team right now if it's Luka. If Luka got the F spot it's a surprisingly good All NBA lineup this year for once. Outside of Tatum over Pascal I can't think of any changes.

Edit: Wait I'm bugging, where's Embiid????
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#3449 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 pm

E-Balla wrote:Did Lebron get the 1st team G spot or Luka? Because I'm mad Dame didn't get first team right now if it's Luka. If Luka got the F spot it's a surprisingly good All NBA lineup this year for once. Outside of Tatum over Pascal I can't think of any changes.

Edit: Wait I'm bugging, where's Embiid????

They needed a space for Westbrook :crazy:
Heej
General Manager

Post#3450 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 pm

LETS GOOOOO CP3!!! Murray or Mitchell def knocking Russ out next year. But lol imagine having Gobert over Embiid
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#3451 » by eminence » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm

I like Jokic over AD, Tatum over Siakam and Kawhi over Luka. Not sure who I'd want as 3rd team guard over Westbrook, but somebody (Lowry?)

Decent teams overall though.
I bought a boat.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,471

Post#3452 » by 70sFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 pm

It's not terrible, but I don't see any case for Simmons in and Embiid not (I'd cheat and have Embiid and Gobert together in 3rd team).

Westbrook over Lowry is a joke.

I'd have Tatum over Siakam for sure.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#3453 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Was there a report the bucks wouldn’t chase cp3 or something?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#3454 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Heej wrote:LETS GOOOOO CP3!!! Murray or Mitchell def knocking Russ out next year. But lol imagine having Gobert over Embiid

I haven't through, but I have to say, the 76ers were a trainwreck this year culturally so it's really not weird to me that people were out on him.

As I say that;

I could have said the same thing about Gobert for anyone bothered by his COVID performance (his best passing of the year). Fine to say that that's not fair, just wouldn't be surprised.

I also get people saying it's weird for Simmons to get the nod over Embiid. Clearly they were in different positions. I'd have been fine with both missing All-NBA.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#3455 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:17 pm

eminence wrote:Not sure who I'd want as 3rd team guard over Westbrook, but somebody (Lowry?)

Somebody who understands how to play team basketball perhaps? The very idea that he's on this team when OKC got better without him and Houston never really had a chance at an elite record is a bit absurd to me. Yes, he had his runs were he looked amazing, but I don't think he really should have even been in consideration. Where Houston is right now with was entirely predictable before the Bubble.

(Lowry would work.)

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#3456 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 pm

To be fair this is a regular season award and Westbrook actually ended up having a really good season after the horror start. Not saying he definitely deserved it but he was pretty good.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#3457 » by RCM88x » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm

FWIW, I'm pretty sure voters get a blank ballot and can write in players at whatever position they choose. Players are placed in whatever position they are most often placed in, and then sorted by total points.

Meaning Lebron gets the forward position because the majority of voters placed him at forward. Davis got the C position because most people placed him at C.

With Davis, I'm betting a lot of voters placed him as their 1st team C because they felt he was better than Jokic, Embiid, Gobert etc... and deserved the 1st team spot more than those guys even though he was more of a PF this year. He had 144 more points than Jokic.
You can kinda tell by the way the voting worked out that the 1st team was more like "5 best" team and positions weren't a big factor.

Cray thing is AD was left off of 1 ballot, Kawhi 2, Jokic 1, Lillard 4. Like how does that make any sense?

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#3458 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Siakam on all nba 2nd team is crazy, he didn't even have a great season.
Heej
General Manager

Post#3459 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Heej wrote:LETS GOOOOO CP3!!! Murray or Mitchell def knocking Russ out next year. But lol imagine having Gobert over Embiid

I haven't through, but I have to say, the 76ers were a trainwreck this year culturally so it's really not weird to me that people were out on him.

As I say that;

I could have said the same thing about Gobert for anyone bothered by his COVID performance (his best passing of the year). Fine to say that that's not fair, just wouldn't be surprised.

I also get people saying it's weird for Simmons to get the nod over Embiid. Clearly they were in different positions. I'd have been fine with both missing All-NBA.

Haha I'd say out of all the organization vs star player dysfunction delineations I'll have to give the nod to the Sixers organization in general just having weird energy about them. Some of the moves they made just seemed panicky and nonsensical and there's gotta be some lingering stench of all the embarrassing tanking culture of this decade. I've heard that alluded to by Zach Lowe on his podcast when he talks about what he's heard from sixers staff.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#3460 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

As I say that;

What 6 guards would've been fine to include over Simmons? You think putting Westbrook and Lowry 3rd team and leaving him out wouldn't be egregious? Because I'd put Simmons clearly over Westbrook right now.

Return to Player Comparisons