ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2541 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:19 am

It'd be pretty hard to find minutes for Joe with how many guards we already got
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,719

Post#2542 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:It'd be pretty hard to find minutes for Joe with how many guards we already got

Lowry's aging and FVV could get a max offer from a desperate franchise, which would be tough for Masai to rationalize matching.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2543 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:It'd be pretty hard to find minutes for Joe with how many guards we already got

I think there’s a bit of redundancy with Matt Thomas since they have very similar skill sets

Which is why I’d prefer a player who can create off the dribble
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2544 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:38 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Lowry's aging and FVV could get a max offer from a desperate franchise, which would be tough for Masai to rationalize matching.

Wouldn't that mean we need more ball handlers than shooters?
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#2545 » by Mark_83 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 am

I wouldn't mind Joe at 29. 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan, pure shot on high volume and decent defensively. People forget we likely lose 2 of Lowry/FVV/Powell by 2021 to free agency and/or retirement. That likely leaves us with Davis and Fred and not much else at guard.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#2546 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:Am I crazy or does Isaiah Joe look better than Aaron Nesmith?

Not crazy I got Joe ranked higher too

I don't have the time now to dive in to compare the two but I think a huge difference is that Nesmith has the size to play the 2 and 3 where as Joe looks like he'll only be able to play 2. That being said, if we are only looking at them as shooters, Joe looks more complete as a shooter. Also aesthetically, Isaiah Joe's game looks so cool. lol

edit: words

I want him for his name. "Folks Isaiah Joe, the guy whose name sounds like a realgm avatar, just schooled Tatum".
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#2547 » by DG88 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Looks like the draft is officially on Nov 18.

I'm actually looking at Elijah Hughes. I get that he played at Syracuse and their 2-3 zone but I also like what I've seen from him. He was put in a position to be the #1 guy on the team which brought his numbers down.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2548 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Mark_83 wrote:I wouldn't mind Joe at 29. 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan, pure shot on high volume and decent defensively. People forget we likely lose 2 of Lowry/FVV/Powell by 2021 to free agency and/or retirement. That likely leaves us with Davis and Fred and not much else at guard.

Might be early but I’m pretty convinced Matt Thomas is a long term rotation guy for us now
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2549 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm

DG88 wrote:Looks like the draft is officially on Nov 18.

I'm actually looking at Elijah Hughes. I get that he played at Syracuse and their 2-3 zone but I also like what I've seen from him. He was put in a position to be the #1 guy on the team which brought his numbers down.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#2550 » by Indeed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:I wouldn't mind Joe at 29. 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan, pure shot on high volume and decent defensively. People forget we likely lose 2 of Lowry/FVV/Powell by 2021 to free agency and/or retirement. That likely leaves us with Davis and Fred and not much else at guard.

Might be early but I’m pretty convinced Matt Thomas is a long term rotation guy for us now

I also think Watson will play as a guard, so you got VanVleet/Davis/Watson/Thomas, and by then we shall have another lengthy guard from G-League. As we saw Brown who is SF in size and play SG, we probably need someone to match him (and for going small easier as well). Which is why someone like Mane would be nice to off (undrafted?)
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#2551 » by DG88 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I love his playmaking potential and as a secondary or tertiary ball handler that can get into the lane. Pretty good athlete along with the 3 point shooting. The only thing people will question is his defense being in a 2-3 zone. But overall I like the overall package of his game.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2552 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Indeed wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I also think Watson will play as a guard, so you got VanVleet/Davis/Watson/Thomas, and by then we shall have another lengthy guard from G-League. As we saw Brown who is SF in size and play SG, we probably need someone to match him (and for going small easier as well). Which is why someone like Mane would be nice to off (undrafted?)

Watson I need to see have a good year off the bench before I see him as a long term piece. But the potential is decent.

I do think we need at least 1 more gaurd who can dribble though. Preferably with size
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#2553 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Big fan of Hughes. I like him more than Joe, I think if we're looking for a wing scorer he's a good pick. He won't be on the board for #59 so you'd have to take him at #29 if you wanted him. He can shoot the three ball and has good size at the SG spot.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#2554 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:02 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Based on this it makes more sense to get a PG then
Indeed
RealGM

Post#2555 » by Indeed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Based on this it makes more sense to get a PG then

What we need is the skill set, not by a position. And you see Tatum and Brown are providing the guard skills to impact the game, instead of label themselves as PG. Ball penetration, passing and shooting in combination are what we need.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#2556 » by Dalek » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 pm

One draft guy, Simon Gerszberg uses a Good Possession Rate stat which looks at things like:
- Player’s off the dribble versus catch and shoot ability
- Players driving ability in transition or half court
- % chance a foul will be drawn
- % chance an offensive rebound will be available
...and about 86 other variables he looks at.

25% is average for the NCAA while +40% is supposed to be considered excellent.

There are a number of guys who are in this underrated chart that are in Toronto's draft range:

Ty-Shon Alexander
Mason Jones
Reggie Perry
Skylar Mays
Robert Woodard

Read on Twitter

Chart for all bigs - which is obviously swayed by the fact that most of these guys are dunking the ball in close or drawing fouls.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Here is another chart for guards:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Wings:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#2557 » by Psubs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

Yes, he defense was adequate after the shutdown and this is his 1st season. Also Paul Watson is in the cards at SG and maybe SF.

If they go big at #29, look for a PG or combo guard at #59. Plus undrafted free agents galore. Since there are so many there are always leftover guards that don't get drafted.

I can see Payton Pritchard or Markus Howard dropping to #59. Or wouldn't be surprised by an international guard at #59, like Yam Madar, Georgios Kalaitzakis or Rokas Jokubaitis or Arturs Kurucs, to get their rights.

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2558 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Dalek wrote:One draft guy, Simon Gerszberg uses a Good Possession Rate stat which looks at things like:
-
Spoiler:
Player’s off the dribble versus catch and shoot ability
- Players driving ability in transition or half court
- % chance a foul will be drawn
- % chance an offensive rebound will be available
...and about 86 other variables he looks at.

25% is average for the NCAA while +40% is supposed to be considered excellent.

There are a number of guys who are in this underrated chart that are in Toronto's draft range:

Ty-Shon Alexander
Mason Jones
Reggie Perry
Skylar Mays
Robert Woodard

Read on Twitter

Chart for all bigs - which is obviously swayed by the fact that most of these guys are dunking the ball in close or drawing fouls.

[spoiler]
Read on Twitter

Here is another chart for guards:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Wings:
Spoiler:
[tweet]1296824269150867463[/tweet
][/spoiler]

Without doing a deep dive on this it seems to show more which players were maximized by there college systems than anything. But there’s probably some value here. Hard to take anything without seeing historical comparisons.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#2559 » by Indeed » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:27 am

Psubs wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Yes, he defense was adequate after the shutdown and this is his 1st season. Also Paul Watson is in the cards at SG and maybe SF.

If they go big at #29, look for a PG or combo guard at #59. Plus undrafted free agents galore. Since there are so many there are always leftover guards that don't get drafted.

I can see Payton Pritchard or Markus Howard dropping to #59. Or wouldn't be surprised by an international guard at #59, like Yam Madar, Georgios Kalaitzakis or Rokas Jokubaitis or Arturs Kurucs, to get their rights.

I also believe there are good undrafted guard. Even we do not pick Pritchard or Howard at 59, we may invite them, Saben Lee and more to the training camp. As I believe we can replace our existing guard from the undraft list through invite.

I also prefer at 59 to draft for size over shooting in Naji Marshall, Karim Mane, Paul Eboua, Lamine Diane type of big wing as our combo guard. This is where Celtics has Brown in the size of these players, he can stop Siakam from isolation/postup, while able to switch and stop Lowry / VanVleet in a switch scheme. Furthermore, I think we have a good system to improve shooting of our players (Siakam, OG), but we cannot teach size and length.

As for 29, I think it would be more clear when the combine provided us more measurement. I would not be surprised if some from the 2nd round would raise all the way up, and I am not surprised we may pick that guy over performance based player that is currently being ranked.

Return to Toronto Raptors