ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks rumoured to offer FVV 22M per year

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pass first
Head Coach
And1: 763

Knicks rumoured to offer FVV 22M per year 

Post#1 » by pass first » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Jef
Sixth Man
And1: 3,405

Re: Knicks rumoured to offer FVV 22M per year 

Post#2 » by Jef » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Someone start an FVV appreciation thread.
Norman Powell, after Game 5 Pacers dunk: "That's Norman Powell!"
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,209

Post#3 » by rapstarter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Very Knicks of the Knicks
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Post#4 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm

Key word: over

Yeah he's gone. This is an opportunity of a lifetime which he shouldn't pass up on.

Edit: this isn't even a reliable source. just a random guy on twitter throwing sh*t at the wall
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#5 » by Son Goku 25 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm

All the best
Read
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#6 » by sidsid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 pm

It's so weird to me that the Knicks aren't planning around 2021 Giannis. I know they never get FAs, but they came close to KD. They're still one of the few teams that can just tank and clear the decks for an FA year.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#7 » by Mak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 pm

They should give as much money as they can to Fred and Harrell.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#8 » by dacrusha » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Will be an all star and team leader for many years to come. Defensive stalwart and tough as nails that’s still learning the nuances of running a team. Putting up better numbers than Lowry did at the same age... and everyone thought Lowry, too, was a dime a dozen guard at the time.

Losing him for nothing with no backup plan at the position is a Rob Babcock-type of move.

Masai knows this will be an easy decision to resign him - if he underperforms, you can always trade him.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Post#9 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:51 pm

dacrusha wrote:Will be an all star and team leader for many years to come. Defensive stalwart and tough as nails that’s still learning the nuances of running a team. Putting up better numbers than Lowry did at the same age... and everyone thought Lowry, too, was a dime a dozen guard at the time.

Losing him for nothing with no backup plan at the position is a Rob Babcock-type of move.

Masai knows this will be an easy decision to resign him.

Of course most of us would love to have him back. But at the same time you can't afford to overpay and ruin your cap flexibility for years to come.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#10 » by sidsid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Mak wrote:They should give as much money as they can to Fred and Harrell.

Maybe a good time for Al Harrington to unretire and see if he gets an 8 figure deal just out of habit.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#11 » by mintsa » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 pm

dacrusha wrote:Will be an all star and team leader for many years to come. Defensive stalwart and tough as nails that’s still learning the nuances of running a team. Putting up better numbers than Lowry did at the same age... and everyone thought Lowry, too, was a dime a dozen guard at the time.

Masai knows this will be an easy decision to resign him - if he underperforms, you can always trade him.

Yup your bang on. This isn’t the old days.

No way Masai let’s Fred walk for nothing. He will match whatever and just trade him if he has too (poor play, cap space etc etc etc).
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,571

Post#12 » by bluerap23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:55 pm

I would offer a 1 year Max (28?). Ask him to bet on him self.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#13 » by mtcan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 pm

mintsa wrote:

Yup your bang on. This isn’t the old days.

No way Masai let’s Fred walk for nothing. He will match whatever and just trade him if he has too (poor play, cap space etc etc etc).

Masai will pay whatever to keep Fred around...then turn around and trade him if the team rebuilds or cap space is needed...
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#14 » by UneducatedFan86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Bye. Fred bet on himself and it clearly is going to pay off. Which is amazing! But... anything over 22mil is too much to justify for the Raptors in the long-term. Nearly 60mil for Fred and Pascal isn't going to get us back to the point that we want to be. Davis has shown that we might have another Fred VanVleet already waiting for the chance. And I fully believe in our FO to draft/sign players that we can develop and win with.

But let's be real, Fred has been hinting at this for a while. "In a perfect world, I'd re-sign with the Raptors." Even Kyle's message seemed to hint at the band breaking up. The dollars just aren't there and we've got little to no control over the situation. We can only hope that we could work out a potential S&T. But with the Knicks setting the price at over 22mil... then I don't see us re-signing Fred. I think our number was between 4yr/75-80mil. 4yr/90-100mil is just too much.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#15 » by gerrit4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm

I love Fred. I think it would be very wise to keep him on the roster as a part of the new core.

$22 million seems a bit steep to me though. I'd worry that puts us in cap hell eventually.

Not to mention, our guard rotation is probably "good enough" next year with Kyle/Norm starting and TD/McCaw/Thomas off the bench (though it's obviously missing a legit backup PG, which we'd need to find on the cheap). Assuming we can replace Ibaka/Gasol with a starting calibre C (like Baynes), we can still field a competitive roster. Don't get me wrong, we need more of a vision than "fielding a competitive roster," but I guess I mean we wouldn't be totally screwed without Fred.

I also have my doubts about the legitimacy of the NY rumour. I feel like this offseason may see less of the crazy overpays we've seen in years past, with so many doubts about league revenue.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#16 » by Danny1616 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:59 pm

No sources.

But let's say this is true - it doesn't even say the length of the deal.

Is this 2 years 44m or 3 years 66m or 4 years 88m?

If it's 2 years 44m then Masai could probably get Fred for 4 years 75-80m and provide him with long-term security.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#17 » by UneducatedFan86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

sidsid wrote:It's so weird to me that the Knicks aren't planning around 2021 Giannis. I know they never get FAs, but they came close to KD. They're still one of the few teams that can just tank and clear the decks for an FA year.

The Knicks have a ton of cap space. If they want to attract any type of FA in 2021 they need to show that they have at least some type of foundation to win with. Right now... they really have no one. Barrett is the only player that I'd say is a high-ceiling type and that isn't for sure.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#18 » by will » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Jef wrote:Someone start an FVV appreciation thread.

This IS the Fredderick Edmund VanVleet Sr. appreciation thread. The thread title will be changed in a number of weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#19 » by will » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Go get that bag, Senior!

Ain't NOBODY gonna be mad at you. That bag is well deserved, opportunity of a lifetime to set your family up for a lifetime for multiple generations.

Damn, son. I am gonna cry.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#20 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 pm

$22 million is above market value, but exactly what I expected from the Knicks. They need to get some quality players into their rotation and Fred would help them out tremendously.

I personally feel that even $20 million a year for VanVleet is an overpay. He hasn't convinced me that he can takeover for Lowry after next season.

Masai might just do it though, we'll see how it plays out. If Fred / Ibaka are both retained I see a trade coming, because we'll be out of the Giannis sweepstakes.

Return to Toronto Raptors