ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Haha, just kidding, always knew the Nuggets would take it

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,956

Re: Around the NBA - And now we wait for the LA series 

Post#901 » by Besart19 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

imagine asking out to rest in the 4th quarter of game 7. sad.

Mercenares
Strength and Honour!
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Re: Around the NBA - Haha, just kidding, always knew the Nuggets would take it 

Post#902 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

I still can't wrap my head around what the Clippers gave up to get George. Clearly, one of the worst deals ever made. OKC is going to rebuild fast after they unload CP
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,812

Post#903 » by knicks94 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 pm

RHODEY wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:An average exec can get you into the playoffs, which is what he does and not much else.

And you don't mortgage your future just to kick the can down the road. George's value drops as I type this and kawhi is aging out. They have a 2 year window and then they're done for a good minute barring a miracle

The Pacer teams that Walsh put together did more than just get into the playoffs. Six of those teams made it to the EC finals and one made it to the finals. Just because Indiana never won a title under him doesn't mean that he was not a good executive. He had to deal with being a GM in the Jordan era and did not have elite level talent to work with after the decline of Reggie Miller. It is rare that an executive wins titles without the right amount of superstars. If you want to call a GM average just look at Daryl Morey, who has had a lot more high end talent throughout his tenure and has less of a track record than Walsh.

What future were the Clippers mortgaging? They were a good team with Gallo and Harris, but they weren't going to win anything with them nor were they going to be a lottery team going forward. When the LAC acquired George he was coming off one of the best seasons of his career while Kawhi had just carried his second team to a title. On paper those moves put the Clippers in a better position to win a championship. A person would have to be out of their mind not to have made those deals.

I don't know what you're basing George's value and Kawhi's aging on. George had one of his career average years and was always known to underachieve in the playoffs. And it is not like Kawhi is on the wrong side of 30. He is still in his prime and has more than a few years left in him.

I don't see how people are jumping off the ledge regarding the future of the Clippers. It is not like Kawhi and George have opted for free agency and told the LAC that they aren't coming back. I think people have to wait how things look a year from now before declaring the draft pick overhaul franchise crippling.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#904 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Clippers made their moves with a clear goal of winning a title. i do think losing on court games to continue developing chemistry did hurt them, but a team has to adjust and they never truly did.

Lakers made similar moves when acquiring Davis.

Paul George is nowhere close to AD. The gap between LeBron and Kawhi is closer, but it's still a wide gap.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,843

Post#905 » by robillionaire » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm

knicks94 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
The Pacer teams that Walsh put together did more than just get into the playoffs. Six of those teams made it to the EC finals and one made it to the finals. Just because Indiana never won a title under him doesn't mean that he was not a good executive. He had to deal with being a GM in the Jordan era and did not have elite level talent to work with after the decline of Reggie Miller. It is rare that an executive wins titles without the right amount of superstars. If you want to call a GM average just look at Daryl Morey, who has had a lot more high end talent throughout his tenure and has less of a track record than Walsh.

What future were the Clippers mortgaging? They were a good team with Gallo and Harris, but they weren't going to win anything with them nor were they going to be a lottery team going forward. When the LAC acquired George he was coming off one of the best seasons of his career while Kawhi had just carried his second team to a title. On paper those moves put the Clippers in a better position to win a championship. A person would have to be out of their mind not to have made those deals.

I don't know what you're basing George's value and Kawhi's aging on. George had one of his career average years and was always known to underachieve in the playoffs. And it is not like Kawhi is on the wrong side of 30. He is still in his prime and has more than a few years left in him.

I don't see how people are jumping off the ledge regarding the future of the Clippers. It is not like Kawhi and George have opted for free agency and told the LAC that they aren't coming back. I think people have to wait how things look a year from now before declaring the draft pick overhaul franchise crippling.

for real. I mean let's say they won this series and lost in a competitve series against the lakers, would people still be acting this way about the situation. they'll re-tool and be at it again next year
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,603

Post#906 » by stuporman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 pm

West is a legend and up till now his team building rep has been well regarded but this might be one of the most glaring blemishes on an otherwise stellar career in the FO.

He went all in and it might not even get a conference finals appearance? eesh
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#907 » by dakomish23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Which ESPN reporter said clips gonna clip?

Such a perfect phrase for what happened
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#908 » by Oscirus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 pm

knicks94 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
I don't know what you consider a good team executive. The Pacers made the playoffs a total of 17 times under Walsh's regime. And he was responsible for building the only Knicks teams that have seen the playoffs over the past 15 years. He is far from being average.

The Clippers have to only worry about re-signing Harrell. Guys like Morris, Green, Patterson and Jackson are replaceable. The Miami picks that they gave up will be worth nothing. They still have a two year window with Kawhi and George to win a title. There is a possibility that those two can opt in to their contracts, but if they have intentions of leaving the LAC can make up for the picks that they lost by trading them.

The Knicks on the other hand have no sure future and no proven track record that they can build a winning culture. The only thing that Knicks fans can hope for is that RJ becomes a superstar and that their team strikes some type of luck in the draft.

An average exec can get you into the playoffs, which is what he does and not much else.

And you don't mortgage your future just to kick the can down the road. George's value drops as I type this and kawhi is aging out. They have a 2 year window and then they're done for a good minute barring a miracle

So basically in 20 something years with the pacers he made one great draft pick, he made one finals and we're supposed to throw him a parade cuz that era was too hard? Or am I supposed to be impressed with the fact that he cleared out cap space here and not much else? Dude is the definition of average, and no amount of nostalgia covers that up. If anything we should be more mad at the fact that Dolan hired that clown without even bothering to interview West.

yep they're def going to recoup the value that they got from george on an expiring contract, good luck with that. As for Leonard, maybe they'll get something if they trade him, still doubt it'll be as much as ya think they'll get though, actually doubt they trade him at all. But stranger things have been known to happen
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#909 » by dakomish23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Let’s get this matchup started

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,812

Post#910 » by knicks94 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 pm

Oscirus wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:An average exec can get you into the playoffs, which is what he does and not much else.

So basically in 20 something years with the pacers he made one great draft pick, he made one finals and we're supposed to throw him a parade cuz that era was too hard? Or am I supposed to be impressed with the fact that he cleared out cap space here and not much else? Dude is the definition of average, and no amount of nostalgia covers that up. If anything we should be more mad at the fact that Dolan hired that clown without even bothering to interview West.

yep they're def going to recoup the value that they got from george on an expiring contract, good luck with that. As for Leonard, maybe they'll get something if they trade him, still doubt it'll be as much as ya think they'll get though, actually doubt they trade him at all. But stranger things have been known to happen

Nobody is throwing Donnie Walsh a parade for what he accomplished. I just believe it is unfair to undermine what he did as an executive by categorizing him as average. Name me a GM who was able to accomplish more with the same amount of talent that Walsh had to work with.

It is interesting that you bring up Jerry West; a guy who people seem to overrate based on working for the most marquee franchise and on the success of a Showtime Lakers team who he didn't completely build. Sure, he had Shaq and Kobe fall on the Lakers' lap, but how much more success did he have than Walsh in the 90's and during his Memphis tenure?

Walsh did not just clear cap room, but constructed a team that saw the playoffs for 3 years. If you want to look at someone who just simply cleared cap room with nothing to show for you can look at the guy who has been the Knicks GM for the past 3 years.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,603

Post#911 » by stuporman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 pm

I gave up the wish open a FA star dreams long ago but man it would be sweet if in two years after he wins a title in LA that AD comes to the Knicks to play PF next to Mitch and RJ on the front line.

The defense could be incredible along with Mitch and Frank if he is still around as well as with any other defensive guard and wing talent the Knicks may acquire in the meantime.

I won't give it too much thought any time soon but if the opportunity finally presents itself in a few years I might entertain it then....hah
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#912 » by Oscirus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm

knicks94 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
knicks94 wrote:

Nobody is throwing Donnie Walsh a parade for what he accomplished. I just believe it is unfair to undermine what he did as an executive by categorizing him as average. Name me a GM who was able to accomplish more with the same amount of talent that Walsh had to work with.

It is interesting that you bring up Jerry West; a guy who people seem to overrate based on working for the most marquee franchise and on the success of a Showtime Lakers team who he didn't completely build. Sure, he had Shaq and Kobe fall on the Lakers' lap, but how much more success did he have than Walsh in the 90's and during his Memphis tenure?

Walsh did not just clear cap room, but constructed a team that saw the playoffs for 3 years. If you want to look at someone who just simply cleared cap room with nothing to show for you can look at the guy who has been the Knicks GM for the past 3 years.

Whose job is it to collect talent? If all you have to show for all those years is reggie miller, then you got nothing.

You're right he built a nice enough team around Amare that we were able to use those parts to get Carmelo then took off soon after and he gave us dantoni who is a good coach, but that team was treadmill at best.

As for Jerry West, he's not only credited with building a winner in l.a, he's also considered the architect of the warriors. Call him what you want, but he's built winners.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,956

Post#913 » by Besart19 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Baynes / Zubac
Gallinari / Morris
Kawhi / Carmelo
SGA / Shamet
Paul / Williams

Head Coach: Thibs

If West didnt go senile like our ex-beloved Phils
Strength and Honour!
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,000

Post#914 » by god shammgod » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:48 pm

perk says an inside source says they're gonna break up this team already
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#915 » by DOT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 pm

god shammgod wrote:

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#916 » by omerome » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 am

K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,000

Post#917 » by god shammgod » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 am

omerome wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#918 » by omerome » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:25 am

god shammgod wrote:
omerome wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Image

Perk doesn't make that face though!
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#919 » by DOT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:32 am

god shammgod wrote:
omerome wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Image

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,457

Post#920 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 am

Nets:pg

Clippers:levert, Dinwiddie, Allen and a future 2nd
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to New York Knicks