Interesting stats of Nuggets and LAL series

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,849

Interesting stats of Nuggets and LAL series 

Post#1 » by mcmurphy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Many say that LA will go straight to the Finals sweeping the Nuggets.

Imho will be a very tough series (LAL will probably win) but it will be very tough because Denver will not let LA run but will impose its pace and passing network through Jokic.

RS pace
#11 100.9 LAL
#29 97.1 Nuggets

Into PO the pace is reduced naturally because of the tighter defenses.

PO pace
LA 98.4 (-2.5 compared to RS)
1st round vs POR pace 101.6 (+0.9 compared to POR #13 in RS 100.7)
2nd round vs HOU pace 95.2 (-8.5 compared to HOU #3 in RS 103.7)

The Houston series pace I think it was a very careful choice by LAL knowing that they have a clear rebound superiority (which is not true with Denver).

Denver 92.1 (-5.0 compared to RS)
1st round vs Utah pace 90.6 (-8.0 compared to Utah #25 in RS 98.6)
2nd round vs HOU pace 93.7 (-7.8 compared to LAC #8 in RS 101.5)

Denver has imposed his style of play to the opponent.

In the RS when opponent team forced LAL to play at Pace < 93 the record was 3-3 (and 2 of these games were precisely against Denver), instead the Nuggets record was of 9-4.

What do you think?
Do you think the Nuggets will be able to impose their own pace?
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,756

Re: Interesting stats of Nuggets and LAL series 

Post#2 » by MarcusBrody » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 pm

I don't necessarily think that this series will be played at a super high pace, but I don't see the pace adjustment in the playoffs as being a big an advantage against the Lakers as it was against the Clippers, for two reasons:

First, part of what let the Nuggets dictate pace was their size and rebounding. The Clips couldn't leak out to push the ball as they needed to really fight to ensure that they weren't dominated on the boards. The Lakers are bigger, so I suspect they'll be closer to even with the Nuggets.

Second, Lebron is a much better half court facilitator than anyone on the Clippers, so drawing the Lakers into a slow paced gamed isn't quite as advantageous.

Finally, as a bonus supposition as I couldnt't find stats: I suspect that the Clippers series was extra slow as the Clippers had big leads and so were happy to play at a slow pace as they hoped to run out the clock. Then, when the Nuggets caught up, they blew right by and took decent leads themselves, so they were eager to play slowly. I'd expect that a different game structure would have changed pace a bit.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#3 » by mademan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Im not sure if playing a slow pace and letting the Lakers defense set every possession is the right way to go. Theyre incredibly hard to score on in the halfcourt
MrChow
Freshman
And1: 93

Post#4 » by MrChow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 pm

It's hard to predict who will win. I must admit though these Lakers are built different. Not that I think Nuggets cant do it but these Lakers also play like a desperate team. They never adopted the clippers mentality that the trophy is theirs to lose. I never got that sense from them. Seems like they know they have to show up every game as well
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#5 » by LBC SoCal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 pm

You think people believe the Lakers will sweep the Nuggets? I see most people saying this will be a tough series.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#6 » by Spintown » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm

cant wait to see Caruso vs Murray
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,187

Post#7 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

MrChow wrote:It's hard to predict who will win. I must admit though these Lakers are built different. Not that I think Nuggets cant do it but these Lakers also play like a desperate team. They never adopted the clippers mentality that the trophy is theirs to lose. I never got that sense from them. Seems like they know they have to show up every game as well

Plus they'll make adjustments as needed
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,279

Post#8 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Lakers have size. The Clippers didn't. Harrell was exposed against Jokic.
Nuggets are a good team but the Lakers match up better imo.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#9 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Lakers still let teams back in the games imo. Nuggets would be the team that if you let them back in the game they're gonna control it the rest of the way. I guess if anyone can take the momentum back from a team it's LeBron.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#10 » by mcmurphy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 pm

MarcusBrody wrote:
First, part of what let the Nuggets dictate pace was their size and rebounding

I don't think is their size or rebounding but more patience to find the open man and not to concede the fastbreak to opponent team
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#11 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Think DEN winning would be due more to role player 3 point shooting percentage than playing slow. Pace wise will come down to how many turnovers DEN have.

Return to The General Board