Finish this deal: DAL/MIN/?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,674

Finish this deal: DAL/MIN/? 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:37 pm

So been thinking a lot about finding the right PF to play with Towns and as much as it pains me to consider it since I am his biggest fan, Maxi Kleber just feels like the guy. And I feel like this is about right in terms of value:

Kleber/Wright for Johnson/#17.

Dallas sees Wright as a bad contract and he is, but he feels like a guy the Wolves could get some utility out of with all their shooting and he could let Russell play some off ball in addition to backing him up.

Johnson provides some things Dallas needs--toughness, edge, but probably isn't good enough offensively to carve out a major role plus Dallas really doesn't need a 3rd pick. Feels like Dallas needs to do something else with this.

So some options I bounced around:

Dallas sends Powell and the #17 from Minny to Charlotte for Zeller and essentially uses Kleber to dump both Powell and Wright while getting a couple of vets who can take bench roles.

Or Johnson/#17 goes to Sacramento and Bjelica/Holmes go to Dallas. But I'm guessing the Kings see that as slightly light and maybe Minny just cuts Dallas out? I like Kleber more for them because of his defense, but maybe Wolves just go all in on shooting?

Or the Charlotte portion still happens but Dallas forwards Zeller/Johnson/18 to Chicago for OPJ. Chicago gets an asset and doesn't take on any future money. Dallas in the end turned Maxi and their first into OPJ and dumping Powell/Wright.

Does any of this make sense? We all love Maxi to Minnesota right? (while hating Maxi leaving Dallas obviously)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Re: Finish this deal: DAL/MIN/? 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:44 pm

For most of it, I would say Dallas should just use their own #18 to dump Powell and keep Kleber. I think Wright's 2nd year can be dumped reasonably easily so I wouldn't give up much to do that.

The only reason for getting a 2nd pick is the Porter deal, and I do like the idea of Dallas getting him.
Texas Chuck

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:48 pm

loserX wrote:For most of it, I would say Dallas should just use their own #18 to dump Powell and keep Kleber.

Obviously as a Mavs fan I feel the same way, but....

This deal starts with trying to get Maxi to Minnesota and then to come up with some transactions that justifies that for Dallas. Obviously I'm Dallas-focused generally, but this was driven by me looking at Minny.

It may just be too stupid for Dallas to continue, but many of you are smarter than me so thought I'd see if someone could work it out. Or maybe help me with a different big than Maxi for the Wolves I guess. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#4 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm

How does Dallas feel about a stretch 4 on a long term deal who can match salaries of Kleber, Powell and Wright? And an up and coming 21 year old athletic freak who is still developing?

Tobias Harris and Zhaire Smith

For

Kleber, Powell, Wright and #18
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Texas Chuck

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Dallas is trying to maintain flexibility for 21 free agency so Tobias isn't a good fit.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#6 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:How does Dallas feel about a stretch 4 on a long term deal who can match salaries of Kleber, Powell and Wright? And an up and coming 21 year old athletic freak who is still developing?

Tobias Harris and Zhaire Smith

For

Kleber, Powell, Wright and #18

I hope you are a salesman because this is the best I have ever seen someone describe Harris and Smith while completely ignoring any and all negatives attached to the players.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#7 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Chicago sends Porter to Dallas and cut out Minnesota.

Chicago out: Porter, CHI 2021 2nd
Chicago in: Kleber, Wright, Powell, #18

Dallas out: Kleber, Wright, Powell, #18
Dallas in: Porter, CHI 2021 2nd
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#8 » by aguiar95 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 pm

If MIN doesn't want AG, give me Aaron Gordon for the Johnson/#17 package.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,267

Post#9 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm

aguiar95 wrote:If MIN doesn't want AG, give me Aaron Gordon for the Johnson/#17 package.

will probably take your 18 pick as well (johnson/17/18) to get them to let go of gordon. If it was just 1 1st i imagine it would've happend already w/ minny
europrospect93
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#10 » by europrospect93 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Is adding Kleber really necessary for Dallas to dump salary? I believe there are teams who would take their chances with both Powell and Wright who could definitely be a part of rotation for many of them and don't have toxic contracts. And there are other assets to be used in case they are needed. But, like you, I'm a big Maxi fan :lol:
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 pm

europrospect93 wrote:Is adding Kleber really necessary for Dallas to dump salary? I believe there are teams who would take their chances with both Powell and Wright who could definitely be a part of rotation for many of them and don't have toxic contracts. And there are other assets to be used in case they are needed. But, like you, I'm a big Maxi fan :lol:

I don't think so? I think 18 moves Powell and I think 31 moves Wright. Was just trying to figure out a way to get Maxi to Minny because he seems ideal for them while making it palatable for Dallas.

Interestingly enough I emphasized the Minny portion of this and no one has commented on it. Not sure if that means everyone agrees Maxi would be ideal or if everyone thinks its a terrible idea and is sparing my feelings by focusing on the Dallas end? :)
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#12 » by SmokeyPaw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Like maxi better than johnson but not enough to add the 17th and eat wright's contract. I'm not thrilled with the draft at the top, but it looks like there will be interesting prospects available at 17.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#13 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:48 pm

I still like Maxi in Indy and you have both a FRP and a high SRP. what kind of player do you need back?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
europrospect93
Sophomore

Post#14 » by europrospect93 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
europrospect93 wrote:Is adding Kleber really necessary for Dallas to dump salary? I believe there are teams who would take their chances with both Powell and Wright who could definitely be a part of rotation for many of them and don't have toxic contracts. And there are other assets to be used in case they are needed. But, like you, I'm a big Maxi fan :lol:

I don't think so? I think 18 moves Powell and I think 31 moves Wright. Was just trying to figure out a way to get Maxi to Minny because he seems ideal for them while making it palatable for Dallas.

Interestingly enough I emphasized the Minny portion of this and no one has commented on it. Not sure if that means everyone agrees Maxi would be ideal or if everyone thinks its a terrible idea and is sparing my feelings by focusing on the Dallas end? :)

He's a shooting big who puts effort on defense so he fits in every NBA team in 2020 :lol: here it's like either trade for Myles Turner or blow it up :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

europrospect93 wrote:here it's like either trade for Myles Turner or blow it up :lol:

would you consider trading for Oladipo instead? Maxi, your FRP, and a player that makes the salaries match works for me but I wouldn't hang up the phone if you countered with your high SRP although I might get more choosey on the second player.
Texas Chuck

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Wizop wrote:
europrospect93 wrote:here it's like either trade for Myles Turner or blow it up :lol:

would you consider trading for Oladipo instead? Maxi, your FRP, and a player that makes the salaries match works for me but I wouldn't hang up the phone if you countered with your high SRP although I might get more choosey on the second player.

I'm not the biggest Dipo to Dallas guy though it's been jay's dream for awhile. But if the deal was Maxi, Wright, #18 for Dipo I'd do that and then immediately sit Victor down and tell him about the great 6th man tradition in Dallas and see if he was comfortable in that role. If not I'd probably give Luka the old Dirk treatment and take him out early and bring him back to play with the 2nd unit.

Just don't trust Luka's or Dipo's shooting enough plus Luka is so ball dominant when he's on the court.
europrospect93
Sophomore

Post#17 » by europrospect93 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Wizop wrote:

With healthy Oladipo I'd do it simply based on talent but then it wouldn't be offered I guess :lol: I wouldn't do it myself (especially with the 1st round pick) but tbf I have Maxi's value really high (for Dallas) and it creates a hole in rotation which I think no one would want to bother fixing with the upcoming FA.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,575

Post#18 » by Swish1906 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:28 pm

Mavs wont use Kleber for a marginal move (Johnson) or to dump salary. Skill and contract is way too good.

I could see them being interested in Johnson, but i also cant remember any rumour last season when Johnson was traded twice.

Wright + Jackson + 31, thats something i could see If the Wolves like the Wright from two years ago. No way they use #18 in such a trade

But i think the Wolves keep Johnson. He is a good fit and they are desperate to be NOT hot trash next year
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#19 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Easy pass for Minnesota.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Mavs wont use Kleber for a marginal move (Johnson) or to dump salary. Skill and contract is way too good.

I could see them being interested in Johnson, but i also cant remember any rumour last season when Johnson was traded twice.

Wright + Jackson + 31, thats something i could see If the Wolves like the Wright from two years ago. No way they use #18 in such a trade

But i think the Wolves keep Johnson. He is a good fit and they are desperate to be NOT hot trash next year
If you want to dump salary, trade two players for a year of Victor and then let him walk. The above 6th man idea shouldn't be necessary. You just need to convince him that Luka is on ball and he's off ball. That's his best spot.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Trades and Transactions