Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#1841 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:We atleast need a center coming back or their 13th pick especially if we're adding Allen and a future 1st. They don't even want their 13th pick anyway.

Nets have to add Prince anyway because the salary does not match. Jrue is making 26M per, Allen and Din equals to 15M. So if it's Din, Allen, Prince, Musa, future 1st , then we should atleast get back Jrue and Hart or Jaxson Hayes along with their 13th pick. That should be a fair trade.

I don't see it Swav. Prince is a negative, not a positive asset who creates a need for them to incentivize the offer with the 13.

In fact I feel like this might become a 3 or 4 team offer with Allen and/or Dinwiddie going elsewhere to provide either more assets for New Orleans in the form of picks or players on rookie scale, or one established player coming back to them whose team doesn't want Jrue in exchange for said player, and who either we prefer Jrue to, or don't have the package to get.

I could see something somewhat complex, where they combine some of their assets like the 13 and Ball, with Allen and the teen's 1st they get for Dinwiddie, and the better of our future 1st and their's of that draft, sent to Chicago for LaVine.

It's not about Prince impact, if we're trading for Jrue we need Prince's contract to match salary, it's that simple. There are teams that will trade for Prince straight up, he does not have a negative value, he is slightly overpaid but it's nothing serious. The positive value is coming from Dinwiddie, Allen and the future 1st, forget about Prince for now.

I can also see a 3 team trade as well but I hope we get back more than just Jrue.

It doesn't have to be Prince.

It can be Dinwiddie/Allen/Musa/Temple to match. In fact, technically Musa doesn't even need to be in there for it to be legal.

And I think there could be some teams interested on Prince, but not for any value, even on court. It's going to be another guy coming off a bad year, with big flaws, on a similar contract, or a so-so player on expiring they can't find minutes for, who they're likely to lose anyway and they're willing to take a flyer on Prince and his one extra season.

And yes, that positive value you mention of Dinwiddie, Allen, likely heavily protected '21 1st is exactly what lands you Jrue before you start adding necessary salary filler. Maybe they add a Hart for Rodi swap in there, that should still work with salary matching, but I don't see how we get back the 13, unless it's something where we throw in the 19 and Claxton to move up 6 spots.

If Marks somehow turns Dinwiddie/Allen/Prince/future protected 1st into Jrue/anything else/13 without adding the 19, additional future picks, or Claxton, I will eat my proverbial hat lol.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#1842 » by Papi_swav » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I don't see it Swav. Prince is a negative, not a positive asset who creates a need for them to incentivize the offer with the 13.

In fact I feel like this might become a 3 or 4 team offer with Allen and/or Dinwiddie going elsewhere to provide either more assets for New Orleans in the form of picks or players on rookie scale, or one established player coming back to them whose team doesn't want Jrue in exchange for said player, and who either we prefer Jrue to, or don't have the package to get.

I could see something somewhat complex, where they combine some of their assets like the 13 and Ball, with Allen and the teen's 1st they get for Dinwiddie, and the better of our future 1st and their's of that draft, sent to Chicago for LaVine.

It's not about Prince impact, if we're trading for Jrue we need Prince's contract to match salary, it's that simple. There are teams that will trade for Prince straight up, he does not have a negative value, he is slightly overpaid but it's nothing serious. The positive value is coming from Dinwiddie, Allen and the future 1st, forget about Prince for now.

I can also see a 3 team trade as well but I hope we get back more than just Jrue.

It can be Dinwiddie/Allen/Musa/Temple to match. In fact, technically Musa doesn't even need to be in there for it to be legal.

And I think there could be some teams interested on Prince, but not for any value, even on court. It's going to be another guy coming off a bad year, with big flaws, on a similar contract, or a so-so player on expiring they can't find minutes for, who they're likely to lose anyway and they're willing to take a flyer on Prince and his one extra season.

And yes, that positive value you mention of Dinwiddie, Allen, likely heavily protected '21 1st is exactly what lands you Jrue before you start adding necessary salary filler. Maybe they add a Hart for Rodi swap in there, that should still work with salary matching, but I don't see how we get back the 13, unless it's something where we throw in the 19 and Claxton to move up 6 spots.

If Marks somehow turns Dinwiddie/Allen/Prince/future protected 1st into Jrue/anything else/13 without adding the 19, additional future picks, or Claxton, I will eat my proverbial hat lol.

How does the salary match ? Jrue makes 26M per. Din/ Allen/ Temple / Musa equals to 22M. We are way over the cap. So we are taking 4M more in salary, is this legal for a team that's 26M over the cap?
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#1843 » by DarkXaero » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Nycnyc7188 wrote:Looks like the nerds may finally get the most unnecessary trade the nets may pull smh

Read on Twitter
Scoop B is trash and almost always wrong. That trade doesn't work salary wise, and also seems like an overpay for expiring contract of Jrue. Dinwiddie obviously isn't anywhere near the defender that Jrue is, but he's a better offensive player than Jrue, and throwing in Allen on top of that (who I think is our most valuable asset after the untouchable pieces) shifts this in overpay territory.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#1844 » by Claud » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm not giving up the Fro for Jrue Holiday.... MAYBE if he's signing a long term contract.

It would be beyond short-sighted to trade JA.

DJ is at the end of his career and can't be relied upon to play major minutes. He's perfect as backup though.

Not to mention Allen continues to improve every year. He elevated his game in the bubble and showed why he's the starter.

His passing has improved, he's stronger, and continues to improve defensively.

He has vastly outperformed his draft selection and would be a shame to lose him for a non-superstar talent.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#1845 » by ProspectPark » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Would love this trade. We have KD, Kyrie, LeVert, Harris, Prince, and DJ signed for multiple years. Even we we signed Holiday to a near max in 2021, we would still have a lot of depth and flexibility. This would be the perfect off-season if we can get Holiday without losing LeVert.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#1846 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:It's not about Prince impact, if we're trading for Jrue we need Prince's contract to match salary, it's that simple. There are teams that will trade for Prince straight up, he does not have a negative value, he is slightly overpaid but it's nothing serious. The positive value is coming from Dinwiddie, Allen and the future 1st, forget about Prince for now.

How does the salary match ? Jrue makes 26M per. Din/ Allen/ Temple / Musa equals to 22M. We are way over the cap. So we are taking 4M more in salary, is this legal for a team that's 26M over the cap?

http://cbafaq.com/salarycap#Q86

It works. Tax paying teams can take back 125% + $100k of what they send out. We would have to send out just shy of $21mil to match.
Nycnyc7188
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1847 » by Nycnyc7188 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 pm

Jrue holiday has to be the most overrated underrated player ive seen on this site.i just dont get it.guys will throw in his numbers .but throwing away talent for someone who’s probably gonna sign somewhere else when he’s a free agent is just insane.people are really talking about him im this board like he’s the second coming of jason kidd, YES jason kidd.its annoying
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1848 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm

Nycnyc7188 wrote:Jrue holiday has to be the most overrated underrated player ive seen on this site.i just dont get it.guys will throw in his numbers .but throwing away talent for someone who’s probably gonna sign somewhere else when he’s a free agent is just insane.people are really talking about him im this board like he’s the second coming of jason kidd, YES jason kidd.its annoying

I don't see anyone calling him Jason Kidd. But he makes a ton of sense here and is a guy who doesn't get his recognition, but is a top 35-40 player in the league who doesn't need high usage or to put up big stats to have a huge impact.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1849 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Claud wrote:I'm not giving up the Fro for Jrue Holiday.... MAYBE if he's signing a long term contract.

It would be beyond short-sighted to trade JA.

DJ is at the end of his career and can't be relied upon to play major minutes. He's perfect as backup though.

Not to mention Allen continues to improve every year. He elevated his game in the bubble and showed why he's the starter.

His passing has improved, he's stronger, and continues to improve defensively.

He has vastly outperformed his draft selection and would be a shame to lose him for a non-superstar talent.

I personally agree with most of what you're saying here, but DJ almost certainly will be the starter whether he deserves it or not. And there's a good chance we land an impact big man with the MLE and if he isn't dealt in this deal or any other, they try and groom Claxton as the starting 5 for the future.

Also get the feeling they'll workout an extension with Holiday before the trade is made, probably something where he picks up his option year and extend him an additional 2, with the last year a player option.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#1850 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm

I don't know why you guys are so down on this trade tbh.

Dinwiddie and Levert basically do the same things. And Allen is not necessary with Jordan.

Jrue is basically the type of player we need. And Levert can be our 6th man.

I think it makes a lot of sense.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1851 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Nycnyc7188 wrote:Looks like the nerds may finally get the most unnecessary trade the nets may pull smh

Read on Twitter
Scoop B is trash and almost always wrong. That trade doesn't work salary wise, and also seems like an overpay for expiring contract of Jrue. Dinwiddie obviously isn't anywhere near the defender that Jrue is, but he's a better offensive player than Jrue, and throwing in Allen on top of that (who I think is our most valuable asset after the untouchable pieces) shifts this in overpay territory.

But is he though?

And I'm imagining they workout some kind of extension or promise of one before any trade was finalized.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1852 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I don't know why you guys are so down on this trade tbh.

Dinwiddie and Levert basically do the same things. And Allen is not necessary with Jordan.

Jarrett is better than 32 year old DJ how do you figure they don't need him?

They can bring in a defensive player through the draft and free agency trading a center for perimeter defense is insane. You plug one whole and create another.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1853 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm

kamaze wrote:

They can bring in a defensive player through the draft and free agency trading a center for perimeter defense is insane. You plug one whole and create another.

Because we don't need two good traditional Centers in the NBA. Its far better value to have more switchable wings/gaurds like all the best teams do.

DJ is still good enough to start at Center. In the playoffs we will probably go small anyway.

Why would we pay Allen next off season? It makes no sense to put that much money into traditional Centers.

How would we be creating a whole lol. Allen would get played off the floor pretty quickly in the playoffs vs Miami or Boston. We don't need him.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1854 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Read on Twitter

But is he though?

And I'm imagining they workout some kind of extension or promise of one before any trade was finalized.

Dinwiddie is not a better offensive play than Jrue when he take into account that hes a terrible 3 point shooter.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#1855 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Because we don't need two good traditional Centers in the NBA. Its far better value to have more switchable wings/gaurds like all the best teams do.

DJ is still good enough to start at Center. In the playoffs we will probably go small anyway.

Why would we pay Allen next off season? It makes no sense to put that much money into traditional Centers.

How would we be creating a whole lol. Allen would get played off the floor pretty quickly in the playoffs vs Miami or Boston. We don't need him.

What are you talking about? Jarret Allen will be a free agent next summer not this year. The owner said he'd pay the luxury tax so why are you so worried about salaries? It's not your money.

You don't trade away the better player in fear of future finances come on now.

I like Nick Claxton but do you really believe he's ready to be the backup center? You'd be making a position they have depth at (center) worse when you don't have to. Like I said they can get perimeter defender through the draft and free agency.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1856 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 pm

kamaze wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
kamaze wrote:

What are you talking about? Jarret Allen will be a free agent next summer not this year. The owner said he'd pay the luxury tax so why are you so worried about salaries? It's not your money.

I like Nick Claxton but do you really believe he's ready to be the backup center? You'd be making a position they have depth at (center) worse when you don't have to. Like I said they can get perimeter defender through the draft and free agency.

We have KD/Kyrie for 3 more years. We have to make moves which maximize their window.

LOL its not about how money were spending. Its about where our money is being spent.

Why would I want to sink 20 mill into two traditional centers when the entire league is moving away from them? How does that make any sense?

I think Claxton can be a backup Center. But if not we can easily find a FA or draft someone to play backup minutes. Its not that important of a position and will be useless in the playoffs.

Yeah we can get a perimeter defender through the Draft or Free Agency. But Jrue would be a nice luxury to have.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#1857 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

We have KD/Kyrie for 3 more years. We have to make moves which maximize their window.

LOL its not about how money were spending. Its about where our money is being spent.

Why would I want to sink 20 mill into two traditional centers when the entire league is moving away from them? How does that make any sense?

I think Claxton can be a backup Center. But if not we can easily find a FA or draft someone to play backup minutes. Its not that important of a position and will be useless in the playoffs.

Yeah we can get a perimeter defender through the Draft or Free Agency. But Jrue would be a nice luxury to have.

I don't get the win now mentality the GM should continue to build the team utilizing draft picks and free agency.
The Spurs were successful building a dynasty with draft picks and a great coach as they're not a free agent destination.
We'll see how Nash does coaching, regardless I expect Marks to continue to build through the draft. That's one of the things he learned in SA.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#1858 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

Read on Twitter

We atleast need a center coming back or their 13th pick especially if we're adding Allen and a future 1st. They don't even want their 13th pick anyway.

I could see trying to expand the deal slightly to return Melli if we need another big body. Otherwise, I'm sure we can find a ring chasing veteran big to sign for a year.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1859 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:49 pm

kamaze wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
kamaze wrote:

I don't get the win now mentality the GM should continue to build the team utilizing draft picks and free agency.
The Spurs were successful building a dynasty with draft picks and a great coach as they're not a free agent destination.
We'll see how Nash does coaching, regardless I expect Marks to continue to build through the draft. That's one of the things he learned in SA.

I mean why not do both?

Fact of the matter is, its unlikely Dinwiddie/Allen will be here after next season.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#1860 » by VCfor3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 pm

I would think that Dinwiddie could be rerouted to a 3rd team for some sort of additional assets for NOP. The Clippers, Bucks, and 76ers could all use a PG and there aren't many options better at that salary point. If you had them bidding against each other to up the price you'd think you could get a deal done once you add something to their return.I don't see any of those teams having quite enough on their own to outbid you for Jrue.

Return to Brooklyn Nets