ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#41 » by Teffer10 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:02 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Sixers fan here. Would y’all do Richardson for Curry? Younger player on a shorter contract (PO 2021).

Easy yes for me but I think Sixers would want more back.
#18/Curry for Richardson/1 or 2 of Sixers' many 2nd rounders is something that might have a chance.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#42 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:33 pm

Apparently, the rumor is the most likely cap situation is to flatten is out over the next two years: re: at $109-million in 2020 and 2021 no matter the revenue. There might be a creative way the league offers alongside this but this could give some context for us in 2021.

We have 8-players on the books for $82-million, plus another $4-mill if we keep pick #18 and #31

- If we do nothing we else this offseason, that’s $25-million of cap space
- If we trade Delon Wright for an expiring, that’s $33-million
- If we sign someone with the MLE and do nothing, that’s $15-million
- If we sign someone with the MLE and trade Wright for an expiring, that’s $25-million

Just some things to think about when considering potential signings/trades
TingusP
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#43 » by TingusP » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:50 am

Pointguard01 wrote:Apparently, the rumor is the most likely cap situation is to flatten is out over the next two years: re: at $109-million in 2020 and 2021 no matter the revenue. There might be a creative way the league offers alongside this but this could give some context for us in 2021.

We have 8-players on the books for $82-million, plus another $4-mill if we keep pick #18 and #31

- If we do nothing we else this offseason, that’s $25-million of cap space
- If we trade Delon Wright for an expiring, that’s $33-million
- If we sign someone with the MLE and do nothing, that’s $15-million
- If we sign someone with the MLE and trade Wright for an expiring, that’s $25-million

Just some things to think about when considering potential signings/trades

I like the 4th option. Stretch waiving Powell (only guaranteed $6M in 2021 per Hoopshype) would get us very close to $33M in room again.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#44 » by 100proof » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:I agree I don’t see this for Boston? THJ is not the right fit.

But, another reason I don’t like swapping Hayward for THJ is around resigning him. I could be ignorant here but I think Dallas has an easier time retaining THJ at a more reasonable price. He’d be 2.5 years into being in this org and he seems to love KP and Luka. And he’s had his best year alongside them, and could be on a contender for the next 4-yrs.

Hayward would have 1-yr with no allegiance to Dallas — we may have to overpay or he may just not want to stay.

When thinking of trading THJ, this is an important factor for me. Again, I like his LT fit in Dallas.

THJ brings shooting to the lineup. ANd Wright a 2 position player off the bench.

I see Smart as the starting SG and Wright and THJ as the start of an actual bench.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#45 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:34 am

100proof wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:I agree I don’t see this for Boston? THJ is not the right fit.

But, another reason I don’t like swapping Hayward for THJ is around resigning him. I could be ignorant here but I think Dallas has an easier time retaining THJ at a more reasonable price. He’d be 2.5 years into being in this org and he seems to love KP and Luka. And he’s had his best year alongside them, and could be on a contender for the next 4-yrs.

Hayward would have 1-yr with no allegiance to Dallas — we may have to overpay or he may just not want to stay.

When thinking of trading THJ, this is an important factor for me. Again, I like his LT fit in Dallas.

THJ brings shooting to the lineup. ANd Wright a 2 position player off the bench.

I see Smart as the starting SG and Wright and THJ as the start of an actual bench.

Would you be interested in just Delon Wright?

Delon Wright for Enes Kantar and filler?
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#46 » by deb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:45 pm

What's the point in that for Dallas?
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#47 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:48 am

deb wrote:What's the point in that for Dallas?

Clear cap space for 2021 without losing much (if you think Brunson/Burke can fill Wrights minutes).
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#48 » by JJP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:13 pm

Saw this trade on the thesmokingcuban...

Trade with 76ers

Josh Richardson and Matisse Thybulle
for
Seth Curry, Justin Jackson, #18 and 2021 second round pick

I could see both teams getting something they need
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#49 » by Teffer10 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:36 pm

JJP wrote:Saw this trade on the thesmokingcuban...

Trade with 76ers

for

I could too and it makes sense for both sides but I'd like to see the Mavs get Sixers #49 pick as well.

I'd hate to lose Seth but he has some decent trade value and could give us an opportunity to get pieces that could improve our SL and make us a little younger. We're in a position where we can compromise some offense to improve defense in our SL and this is the type of move that I think the Mavs should make.

Re-sign Burke, move Wright with #31 for cap space, sign Jeremy Grant, draft Markus Howard with the Sixers 2nd rounder, pick up a vet min wing (MKG or Lee) as insurance, and hope WCS opts in.

Luka/Brunson/Howard
Richardson/Burke/Reaves
THJ/DFS/Thybulle
Grant/Maxi/Powell
KP/WCS/Boban

That also opens up the door for any combination of Maxi/DFS/Brunson trade scenarios during the season.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by JJP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

Trade with 76ers

for

I could too and it makes sense for both sides but I'd like to see the Mavs get Sixers #49 pick as well.

I'd hate to lose Seth but he has some decent trade value and could give us an opportunity to get pieces that could improve our SL and make us a little younger. We're in a position where we can compromise some offense to improve defense in our SL and this is the type of move that I think the Mavs should make.

Re-sign Burke, move Wright with #31 for cap space, sign Jeremy Grant, draft Markus Howard with the Sixers 2nd rounder, pick up a vet min wing (MKG or Lee) as insurance, and hope WCS opts in.

Luka/Brunson/Howard
Richardson/Burke/Reaves
THJ/DFS/Thybulle
Grant/Maxi/Powell
KP/WCS/Boban

That also opens up the door for any combination of Maxi/DFS/Brunson trade scenarios during the season.

I have no argument with any of that. That would be a substantial upgrade. Getting Grant would be the hardest part of that, but even without that feature, it's a nice series of moves.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#51 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 pm

I would agree with getting nice role players who are on decent contracts, I'd like for them to get someone who can move the needle more than Thybulle. RIchardson cancels out with Seth Curry's production. Thybulle averages 4.7 ppg but defends well.

Lakers, Clippers, Golden State, Houston, Denver, Portland, Utah. That's 7 teams in the playoffs. Then you have Phoenix that almost made it, Memphis will get improvements from Morant and JJJ, Minnesota will get better with KAT and DLo. OKC' s future will be determined by a CP3 trade. Dallas is one Doncic or KP injury going from a number 4 seed to a 7th seed. That 6th to 8th seed will put you against Golden State, Lakers or Clippers - essentially another 1st round exit.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by JJP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:10 pm

arkuo wrote:Dallas is one Doncic or KP injury going from a number 4 seed to a 7th seed. That 6th to 8th seed will put you against Golden State, Lakers or Clippers - essentially another 1st round exit.

You could say that about a lot of teams though. Next year, the Lakers could also be one injury away from being in the bottom half of the conference. Minnesota might be a lottery team without Townsend. Look at Golden State without one or two of their stars. How is Houston going to upgrade? Next season Houston is probably a lottery team if Harden gets hurt or starts to wear down. Westbrook certainly won't carry them - and they will likely have a new coach. The Pelicans too will be going through a new coach and new playbook.

For all of Dallas's warts, they have a solid system with players who know it well, and a coach that no one questions (except fans). They beat Milwaukee during the regular season without Doncic, and they beat the Clippers in the playoffs without KP. They will certainly be better next season. I'm not sure the negative take is fully warranted.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#53 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:53 pm

JJP wrote:
arkuo wrote:Dallas is one Doncic or KP injury going from a number 4 seed to a 7th seed. That 6th to 8th seed will put you against Golden State, Lakers or Clippers - essentially another 1st round exit.

You could say that about a lot of teams though. Next year, the Lakers could also be one injury away from being in the bottom half of the conference. Minnesota might be a lottery team without Townsend. Look at Golden State without one or two of their stars. How is Houston going to upgrade? Next season Houston is probably a lottery team if Harden gets hurt or starts to wear down. Westbrook certainly won't carry them - and they will likely have a new coach. The Pelicans too will be going through a new coach and new playbook.

For all of Dallas's warts, they have a solid system with players who know it well, and a coach that no one questions (except fans). They beat Milwaukee during the regular season without Doncic, and they beat the Clippers in the playoffs without KP. They will certainly be better next season. I'm not sure the negative take is fully warranted.

Fair enough.

Given those odds, I'd prefer to get a more stable player like Goran Dragic. Think he'd accept the full MLE? Miami is looking to gear up for a big 2021 shopping spree, I doubt they'd add more money to their cap by re-signing Dragic after this year.

To be honest, Dragic is one of the biggest reasons why Miami is playing so well. Everybody's eyes are on Jimmy Butler, but Dragic runs to offense really well. He has played both as a starter and as a 6th man in the Heat this playoffs. I'm sure he can play the 6th man role here too. Perfect secondary playmaker who could move the needle, plays big especially on big games in the playoffs. If he can be had for the full MLE, I'd take him, and keep Seth than trading him for Richardson IMO.

C-Porzingis / Powell / Boban
PF- DFS / Kleber
SF- THJ / Jackson
SG- Dragic / Curry
PG- Doncic / Brunson / Burke

That way you dont need to run 99% of the offense through Luka. I'd also look at Kelly Olynyk if Dragic cant be had. 7 feet tall, can shoot 3s, tough on defense.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by JJP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 pm

arkuo wrote:
Fair enough.

Given those odds, I'd prefer to get a more stable player like Goran Dragic. Think he'd accept the full MLE? Miami is looking to gear up for a big 2021 shopping spree, I doubt they'd add more money to their cap by re-signing Dragic after this year.

To be honest, Dragic is one of the biggest reasons why Miami is playing so well. Everybody's eyes are on Jimmy Butler, but Dragic runs to offense really well. He has played both as a starter and as a 6th man in the Heat this playoffs. I'm sure he can play the 6th man role here too. Perfect secondary playmaker who could move the needle, plays big especially on big games in the playoffs. If he can be had for the full MLE, I'd take him, and keep Seth than trading him for Richardson IMO.

PF- DFS / Kleber
SF- THJ / Jackson
SG- Dragic / Curry

That way you dont need to run 99% of the offense through Luka. I'd also look at Kelly Olynyk if Dragic cant be had. 7 feet tall, can shoot 3s, tough on defense.

I agree about Dragic. He has been outstanding. Currently it sounds like every effort will be made to keep him by Miami. It may depend on how they decide to move forward next season, but I have a hard time thinking the MLE will get him given his recent play.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#55 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:18 pm

JJP wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Fair enough.

PF- DFS / Kleber
SF- THJ / Jackson
SG- Dragic / Curry

I agree about Dragic. He has been outstanding. Currently it sounds like every effort will be made to keep him by Miami. It may depend on how they decide to move forward next season, but I have a hard time thinking the MLE will get him given his recent play.

Agreed. Miami will offer him a huge 1-yr deal. They have his rights. I bet he gets around 1-yr, ~$18-million, which gives him a big payday and keeps Miami flexible w cap space. I don’t think we have a chance.

JJP wrote:Josh Richardson and Matisse Thybulle
for

I’d easily do this move for Thybulle but i think Philly passes. They probably do Curry for Richardson as a centerpiece but that gives me hesitation.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#56 » by Pinkyring » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
JJP wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Fair enough.

PF- DFS / Kleber
SF- THJ / Jackson
SG- Dragic / Curry

Agreed. Miami will offer him a huge 1-yr deal. They have his rights. I bet he gets around 1-yr, ~$18-million, which gives him a big payday and keeps Miami flexible w cap space. I don’t think we have a chance.

for

I’d easily do this move for Thybulle but i think Philly passes. They probably do Curry for Richardson as a centerpiece but that gives me hesitation.

We want Dragic why exactly? Offense isn't this teams problem at all
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#57 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
JJP wrote:

for

We want Dragic why exactly? Offense isn't this teams problem at all

They do need a secondary play maker though next to Doncic or to come in and spell Doncic. Throw in the fact that he’s also Doncic’s mentor and it just makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by JJP » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 pm

This Richardson-for-Curry trade came up again on the smokingcuban website.

There are some convincing elements to it. Pointguard01 make the point that the added Justin Jackson element is probably not enough to give up Thybulle, and I agree with that. Maybe you give up Jalen Brunson for Thybulle, but that opens a new can of worms at the PG position for Dallas. So let's just stick to a Richardson-for-Curry (and a draft pick) deal.

In a nutshell, Richardson's contract is a friendly moving forward and it doesn't damage the possibilities in the 2021 off-season. Looking at other metrics. Richardson plays starter minutes and averages over 30mpg. He's played in almost every game for the last two years (which is more than Curry). He's a good passing wingman and averaged over 4 APG game when in Miami. The only time Curry averaged more than 2 APG was when Curry was with Dallas in 2017. Richardson brings more length and more versatility on the court. Richardson averages more steals, more rebounds, and more point per game than Curry.

Since Philadelphia badly needs offense like Curry, and the Phillie front office is not wedded to Richardson in any way, the two teams have the potential for a deal. So, needless to say, I am now of the opinion that losing the best 3-point shooter in the NBA is probably worth it given all the other metrics and the need for defense.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#59 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm

JJP wrote:This Richardson-for-Curry trade came up again on the smokingcuban website.

There are some convincing elements to it. Pointguard01 make the point that the added Justin Jackson element is probably not enough to give up Thybulle, and I agree with that. Maybe you give up Jalen Brunson for Thybulle, but that opens a new can of worms at the PG position for Dallas. So let's just stick to a Richardson-for-Curry (and a draft pick) deal.

In a nutshell, Richardson's contract is a friendly moving forward and it doesn't damage the possibilities in the 2021 off-season. Looking at other metrics. Richardson plays starter minutes and averages over 30mpg. He's played in almost every game for the last two years (which is more than Curry). He's a good passing wingman and averaged over 4 APG game when in Miami. The only time Curry averaged more than 2 APG was when Curry was with Dallas in 2017. Richardson brings more length and more versatility on the court. Richardson averages more steals, more rebounds, and more point per game than Curry.

Since Philadelphia badly needs offense like Curry, and the Phillie front office is not wedded to Richardson in any way, the two teams have the potential for a deal. So, needless to say, I am now of the opinion that losing the best 3-point shooter in the NBA is probably worth it given all the other metrics and the need for defense.

IMO Curry for RIchardson cancels out. RIchardson shot 34% from 3 while Curry shot 45%. The advantage RIchardson has is 4 inches over Curry and some defense. But the 10% gap in shooting and losing a shooter kinda makes me iffy about the trade. Losing Curry in a trade would essentially mean THJ is the only guy left shooting over 40% in the team. That means Dallas has to sign THJ back in 2021 or go out to find another player who can shoot over 40%. To support the trade idea, I would probably do Delon Wright + Jalen Brunson + 31 for Richardson. Then we just draft a PG at #18 or sign Trey Burke.

IMO, Curry and THJ can stick with the team as long as you have the other parts that defend well. Miami has Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson playing major minutes and none of those two are considered to be lockdown defenders. They just move well without the ball. Now if Luka can produce like Dragic and KP can produce like Bam, then DFS is the problem. You need more production out of your SF position. You cant have someone playing 30+ mins a game and just score 8 or 9 pts. Curry plays 24 and scores over 12. If you get a bit less than a Jimmy Butler type of production out DFS in the SF spot, the Mavs would be pretty successful. the NBA has transitioned into a guard-wing game. If we replace DFS with say another 15ppg type player, I think it would do wonders.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#60 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Trade with 76ers

for

I would do this for Thybulle alone. Don't think Philly considers at all.

Return to Dallas Mavericks