ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want???

Who do you NOT want the knicks to pick at 8?

Killian Hayes
3%
Tyrese Haliburton
8%
Onyeka Okongwu
9%
Cole Anthony
18%
Kira Lewis
3%
Obi Toppin
21%
Devin Vassell
3%
Isaac Okoro
6%
Aleksej Pokuševski
25%
Aaron Nesmith
7%

Total votes: 120

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,885

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want??? 

Post#141 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:Also and all rj backcourt????

Read on Twitter

Hampton as a 6'6", 6'7" athletic PG would be potentially great. Problem? I honestly do not see a PG, at least not at the NBA level. Hampton has loose handles and does not possess great ball control. The last guy I said this about was Kris Dunn who some folks on this board was glowing over as a potential PG of the future for the Knicks if they somehow managed to get into a position to draft him.

You may be able to get by as a PG with subpar handles in HS. You can probably do that in college. You can probably live with that in New Zealand (where Hampton played). But you simply cannot live with that in the NBA especially if you don't have a scorer skill and mind set which Hampton does not.

Other than being hyped in HS, athletic and kinda lengthy (he's got short arms...6'7" wingspan for a 6'7"player isn't good at all) though which nullifies some of that "nice height for a PG" bit) that doesn't really handle the ball cleanly, that can't really shoot from outside, that really can't create his own shot consistently and that is still suspect defensively and from a physicality standpoint.

If you compare him to LaMelo Ball, Ball not only played in the more competitive league (Australia) against better competition, he also started and carried the load for the IHawks as their lead guy. Hampton, despite playing the weaker league (New Zealand pro ball) and against worse competition, was more of a secondary player despite supposedly being a PG. Sure the team composition and coaching view point mattered but if Hampton really was that skilled I would think he'd have played more and been given a bigger role. And Ballis younger than Hampton. No Hampton isn't Ball but he also should have shown more than he did.

Even his highlight vids are underwhelming to be quite honest and it's hard to make highlight reels blah.

Does he have potential? Sure. But is it because of the HS hype and the mystery generated by Covid or is it really worthwhile potential? I can't honesty picture his role in the NBA. As a dunker? He's not that great and his frame is suspect against NBA competition. He's an ok but inconsistent defender. He doesn't shoot well, he can't really create his own shot off the dribble. Honestly, closest comp is a slower Dante Exum, a guy that may physically look real interesting and comes with hype but that can't shoot and can't create off the dribble due to loose handles and ho hum intensity.

Not disputing any of your analysis but Ball and Hampton played in the same league. One just played on a team based in New Zealand and other Australia.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want??? 

Post#142 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 pm

stuporman wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
stuporman wrote:
RJ is significantly younger than Zo at their draft time so he has a couple years to develop before he is at the same age as Zo in comparison of equals I guess.

Although, I'm wondering how much more conducive to passing the ball is RJ because I guess Zo's issue in the Knick's eyes was his unwillingness to pass or his inability to facilitate more.

Not sure of his passing potential. I think of him as a bigger more vertical Leandro Barbaso. ultra quick downhill slasher type. he supposedly has a good midrange jumper too....

I've watched a bunch of video on him and he just looks like a suped up version of Zo, it's astonishing how much they look alike with their game, even in the body type, movement and mannerisms.

Could RJ be more of a facilitator? Will he also be lacking on the defensive energy side of the court? Will he actually turn into enough of a spot up threat to work well off ball?

If he's there at 27 oh for sure, don't pass up that talent so far out of the lottery but the real question for the Knicks brass is he a target at 8?

If Hampton was actually able to create his own shot like Trier it might be worth it but he can't. He's got a loose high dribble. His comp is more Dante Exum right now. A guy that looks like he should be able to do real well, that can run up and down the floor but that can't control his dribble, can't create his own shot, can't shoot, can't pass and that is inconsistent with effort. IMO Hampton looks like he's still bought into his own hype and really not looking at himself realistically in the mirror to try to improve his game.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:Also and all rj backcourt????

Read on Twitter

Hampton as a 6'6", 6'7" athletic PG would be potentially great. Problem? I honestly do not see a PG, at least not at the NBA level. Hampton has loose handles and does not possess great ball control. The last guy I said this about was Kris Dunn who some folks on this board was glowing over as a potential PG of the future for the Knicks if they somehow managed to get into a position to draft him.

You may be able to get by as a PG with subpar handles in HS. You can probably do that in college. You can probably live with that in New Zealand (where Hampton played). But you simply cannot live with that in the NBA especially if you don't have a scorer skill and mind set which Hampton does not.

Other than being hyped in HS, athletic and kinda lengthy (he's got short arms...6'7" wingspan for a 6'7"player isn't good at all) though which nullifies some of that "nice height for a PG" bit) that doesn't really handle the ball cleanly, that can't really shoot from outside, that really can't create his own shot consistently and that is still suspect defensively and from a physicality standpoint.

If you compare him to LaMelo Ball, Ball not only played in the more competitive league (Australia) against better competition, he also started and carried the load for the IHawks as their lead guy. Hampton, despite playing the weaker league (New Zealand pro ball) and against worse competition, was more of a secondary player despite supposedly being a PG. Sure the team composition and coaching view point mattered but if Hampton really was that skilled I would think he'd have played more and been given a bigger role. And Ballis younger than Hampton. No Hampton isn't Ball but he also should have shown more than he did.

Even his highlight vids are underwhelming to be quite honest and it's hard to make highlight reels blah.

Does he have potential? Sure. But is it because of the HS hype and the mystery generated by Covid or is it really worthwhile potential? I can't honesty picture his role in the NBA. As a dunker? He's not that great and his frame is suspect against NBA competition. He's an ok but inconsistent defender. He doesn't shoot well, he can't really create his own shot off the dribble. Honestly, closest comp is a slower Dante Exum, a guy that may physically look real interesting and comes with hype but that can't shoot and can't create off the dribble due to loose handles and ho hum intensity.

Not disputing any of your analysis but Ball and Hampton played in the same league. One just played on a team based in New Zealand and other Australia.

Gotcha.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,063

Post#144 » by stuporman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:13 pm

moocow007 wrote:
stuporman wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Not sure of his passing potential. I think of him as a bigger more vertical Leandro Barbaso. ultra quick downhill slasher type. he supposedly has a good midrange jumper too....

I've watched a bunch of video on him and he just looks like a suped up version of Zo, it's astonishing how much they look alike with their game, even in the body type, movement and mannerisms.

Could RJ be more of a facilitator? Will he also be lacking on the defensive energy side of the court? Will he actually turn into enough of a spot up threat to work well off ball?

If he's there at 27 oh for sure, don't pass up that talent so far out of the lottery but the real question for the Knicks brass is he a target at 8?

If Hampton was actually able to create his own shot like Trier it might be worth it but he can't. He's got a loose high dribble. His comp is more Dante Exum right now. A guy that looks like he should be able to do real well, that can run up and down the floor but that can't control his dribble, can't create his own shot, can't shoot, can't pass and that is inconsistent with effort. IMO Hampton looks like he's still bought into his own hype and really not looking at himself realistically in the mirror to try to improve his game.

He's not even 6-7 with 6-7 wingspan like you mentioned in another response, he's 6-5 with 6-7 which is the same dimensions as Trier and though I loved Trier as a UFA I don't know I like him in the lottery.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#145 » by Fat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
or vassell could pull a mikal and shoot 32% against nba defenses and then you'd not really left with much upside at all with him either because he can't get to the rim. okoro can still bully ball his way to the rim and play d. if nothing else he reminds me of RJ but with better defense

i figured i couldn't be the only one to think this so i googled the names and sure enough some hawks fan already did the leg work
https://twunroll.com/article/1304475839942270976

RJ and Randle bullying the paint was great lets do it again and add another play who plays the same way and has no shot

Okoro on the knicks is a awful fit and unless you believe hes going to be the type of player that is a main option for the team i dont see the point. Youll never know what you have in RJ and youll never know what you have in okoro trying to develop overlapping playstyles. okoro belongs on a team like the hawks where spacing exists and defense is needed

\

What is all the hate with Okoro, Rj can’t shoot and we love his great upside.I Understand the question about fit between him and Rj. But at the 8th pick you have to take the best player available. And to me that Okoro, elite defense, elite athleticism, underrated court vision, and by all accounts a tremendous working. If Okoro had a jumpshot he would be the number one pick in the draft. We are not completing for anything, we are building from the ground up.

Alot of guys would be viewed a #1 in this draft if there weaknesses were non existent

&

No hate at all he's just not my first choice ive said id still be fine with the pick if that is indeed who the knicks were to take.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 pm

stuporman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
stuporman wrote:

He's not even 6-7 with 6-7 wingspan like you mentioned in another response, he's 6-5 with 6-7 which is the same dimensions as Trier and though I loved Trier as a UFA I don't know I like him in the lottery.

That makes it even worse for Hampton. He just doesn't have the same type of shot creation ability and fight that Trier had. Trier was a ball hog and loved going ISO. If Hampton actually showed he'd be able to ISO I'd be more excited cause we'd know that the fight is actually there to work with.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,440

Post#147 » by RHODEY » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 pm

stuporman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Judging by that picture with the real Mike Miller he looks 6"3" or 6'4". His handles are nowhere near trier's
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,265

Post#148 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Read on Twitter

“ Empire Sports Media has learned yesterday that the Knicks have made their due diligence on Florida State University’s 3-and-D prospect Devin Vassell along with his one-and-done teammate Patrick Williams, the youngest college player in the Draft.

According to a highly placed source, the Knicks made a thorough background check on both players which wasn’t only confined to the coaching staff.

Very interesting, could we possibly leave the draft with both??

Would absolutely love that.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#149 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

“ Empire Sports Media has learned yesterday that the Knicks have made their due diligence on Florida State University’s 3-and-D prospect Devin Vassell along with his one-and-done teammate Patrick Williams, the youngest college player in the Draft.

According to a highly placed source, the Knicks made a thorough background check on both players which wasn’t only confined to the coaching staff.

Very interesting, could we possibly leave the draft with both??

Would absolutely love that.

Interesting but my guess is that the Knicks under Rose is doing this with just about everyone they can possibly draft at 8, 27 and 38. Still a great thing cause my guess is that if you asked Steve Mills about background checks he'd turn around, look behind him and say "nah I'm good, there's no one behind me".
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,063

Post#150 » by stuporman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 pm

moocow007 wrote:
stuporman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

That makes it even worse for Hampton. He just doesn't have the same type of shot creation ability and fight that Trier had. Trier was a ball hog and loved going ISO. If Hampton actually showed he'd be able to ISO I'd be more excited cause we'd know that the fight is actually there to work with.

Trier definitely has a unique jitterbug to his dribble and tunnel vision on his ISOing but Hampton has more shifty pace to it while still being pretty aggressive yet I think you are underselling his skillset a bit.

Although, the rest of his offensive game doesn't make me overlook his defensive shortcomings in a draft filled with lots of two way players 1-5 position wise of varying degrees of competence and skill level.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,885

Post#151 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#152 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

Read on Twitter

Lamelo-Tatum-Brown

That would be insane.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#153 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:00 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lamelo-Tatum-Brown

That would be insane.

If this is even true I wonder which team the Celtics are targeting in a trade up scenario.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,274

Post#154 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 am

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:08 am

For the Celtics...

Doesnt make sense for Ball when they have all those guys that need to touch the ball and create their own shots. I can see the Celtics trying to trade up to draft someone like Onyeka Okongwu. He would be the perfect fit with that team and potentially take them up a whole other level. To which, the Celtics do have the 14th overall pick, the 30th pick along with quite a few young guys drafted in the 1st round of previous drafts (Romeo Langford, Robert Williams, etc) that they could trade to move up to the range that Okongwu will likely go. I would not be surprised if Okongwu is in Boston next year and turn out to be another impact player on the Celtics team and form one heck of a talented and dynamic core with Tatum and Brown.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#156 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:36 am

moocow007 wrote:For the Celtics...

Doesnt make sense for Ball when they have all those guys that need to touch the ball and create their own shots. I can see the Celtics trying to trade up to draft someone like Onyeka Okongwu. He would be the perfect fit with that team and potentially take them up a whole other level. To which, the Celtics do have the 14th overall pick, the 30th pick along with quite a few young guys drafted in the 1st round of previous drafts (Romeo Langford, Robert Williams, etc) that they could trade to move up to the range that Okongwu will likely go. I would not be surprised if Okongwu is in Boston next year and turn out to be another impact player on the Celtics team and form one heck of a talented and dynamic core with Tatum and Brown.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Celtics also have the 26th pick so they can use that along with 14 and 30 to move up in the draft.

Okongwu would indeed be great for them although Brad likes his 5’s to be able to shoot it from deep.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,389

Post#157 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:39 am

RJ Hampton is a intriguing player. I think he has a lot of upside. I hope he’s healthy
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#158 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

People are saying they are trying to cover it up.

I wouldn’t put it past Boston.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#159 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:06 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

Apparently Charlotte journalist Konata Edwards who supposedly has knowledge of Mitch Kupchak’s thinkings revealed that the Hornets big board is LaMelo, Avdija then Hayes.

This draft could end up getting crazy. If the Hornets pass on him our guy Wiseman could fall all the way to 9th.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,274

Post#160 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

People are saying they are trying to cover it up.

I wouldn’t put it past Boston.

True, Boston is def known for cheating so you never know.

This one sounds more like it was made up though.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks