ImageImage

Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - OFF SEASON EDITION

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,363

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - OFF SEASON EDITION 

Post#61 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 pm

People were worried that CP3 was gonna "fall off a cliff" every year for the last 2-3 years now. I was probably one of those people. But instead, he was just the best player on a team with a better record than the team that just kicked our ass, and is probably gonna finish in the Top 5-10 in MVP voting.

At some point yeah, he's gonna fall off, but I'm done making the same mistakes over and over and passing on these available difference-makers simply because they don't fit this ideal age-range. Sit him out on back-to-backs, load manage the **** out of him so that he's fresh for the postseason. Figure it out. You don't get gold stars for playing it safe and not taking risks, because it's really damn hard to win a championship.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#62 » by DingleJerry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Right. He only has 2 years left on that contract. Pretty safe to say he'll be fine for next year in terms of being a good player. of course injuries can happen to an old guy like him, but load manage like crazy. You only need him for 2 months next summer. This isn't the days of 7 year contracts anymore with those huge risks and backends
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,376

Post#63 » by randy84 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 pm

I want an **** on this team, I'm sick of the Disneyland crap.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#64 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm

Do we think Giannis wants Chris Paul? That’s probably the most important question. Rereading that Athletic article, the line about Giannis having a “strong personality” makes me wonder if he’s actually the one saying no to bringing Paul in.

...and the potential difficulty of bringing Paul onto a roster already led by a strong personality in Antetokounmpo seems to limit the chances of the Bucks moving to pair the two All-Stars.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#65 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Do we think Giannis wants Chris Paul? That’s probably the most important question. Rereading that Athletic article, the line about Giannis having a “strong personality” makes me wonder if he’s actually the one saying no to bringing Paul in.

...and the potential difficulty of bringing Paul onto a roster already led by a strong personality in Antetokounmpo seems to limit the chances of the Bucks moving to pair the two All-Stars.

Going to guess that if he didn't want him, he'd very quickly change his mind. Imagine if Paul could unlock Giannis' flopping game?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#66 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:You don't get gold stars for playing it safe and not taking risks, because it's really damn hard to win a championship.

In hindsight, the Bucks made an error not trading Middleton for Jimmy Butler two years ago when that deal was on the table. I didn't like it at the the time, but in the end we needed an assertive junkyard dog, to balance out games where they put the wall up on Giannis.

My take is you need an alpha possibly bigger than Giannis, and the one possibly available is Paul. Not many others.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Do we think Giannis wants Chris Paul? That’s probably the most important question. Rereading that Athletic article, the line about Giannis having a “strong personality” makes me wonder if he’s actually the one saying no to bringing Paul in.

Going to guess that if he didn't want him, he'd very quickly change his mind. Imagine if Paul could unlock Giannis' flopping game?

Giannis would change his mind or the Bucks would change Giannis’s mind? Giannis has all the leverage right now.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,430

Post#68 » by blazza18 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 pm

What does Giannis having a "strong personality" even mean here?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#69 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:You don't get gold stars for playing it safe and not taking risks, because it's really damn hard to win a championship.

In hindsight, the Bucks made an error not trading Middleton for Jimmy Butler two years ago when that deal was on the table. I didn't like it at the the time, but in the end we needed an assertive junkyard dog, to balance out games where they put the wall up on Giannis.

My take is you need an alpha possibly bigger than Giannis, and the one possibly available is Paul. Not many others.
Maybe Butler would have worked in Milwaukee but it's not a given. Butlers jackass behavior was very real and a red flag. I think it's worked in Miami because he gets to be THE guy. The dynamic would have been a little different with the Bucks. Again maybe it would have been awesome and the Bucks would still be playing but I don't think it was really wrong to have some concerns at the time.

I do think Paul would be fine though, he's at the point in his career where he knows the end is near and will fit in fine wherever he goes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#70 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Bledsoe to NY, Rozier to MIL, Payton/27 to CHA
Cut Ersan
#24 for future first
Sign Malik Beasley for MLE
Sign Nerlens Noel BAE
Rolo/DJ/future first for Taurean Prince
Sign Jevon Carter for the minimum

Rozier / Hill / Carter
DDV / Beasley / Wes
Middleton / Prince
Giannis / Prince
Lopez / Noel

I just don't know.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#71 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:19 pm

blazza18 wrote:What does Giannis having a "strong personality" even mean here?

I took it as “This is Giannis’s team and he doesn’t want to hear any of Chris Paul’s ****/share a leadership role”
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#72 » by DingleJerry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 pm

I think hindsight I'd have probably done the Butler trade too. I'm sure I was against it at the time but something I'd probably do if I could go back. Who knows though, still a chance he'd have left in FA and we'd be sitting here with nothing. And even if not we'd be on the hook for a huge contract into his mid 30s. But, we'd have had him last year and probably got a title
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#73 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:

Giannis would change his mind or the Bucks would change Giannis’s mind? Giannis has all the leverage right now.

Change his views on Paul once he saw that he rubbed people the wrong way by being super competitive. I think Giannis would love Paul, Butler, anyone like that.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#74 » by machu46 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 pm

I assume it’s either we’re downplaying our interest in CP3 or Giannis legitimately does not want to play with him. I don’t think the Lasry’s would be publicly saying we don’t want CP3 if Giannis actually wants him (again, unless we’re messing with OKC/other teams that might want CP3)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,110

Post#75 » by giannis and 1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:29 pm

DingleJerry wrote:I think hindsight I'd have probably done the Butler trade too. I'm sure I was against it at the time but something I'd probably do if I could go back. Who knows though, still a chance he'd have left in FA and we'd be sitting here with nothing. And even if not we'd be on the hook for a huge contract into his mid 30s. But, we'd have had him last year and probably got a title

I don't think you can see we would be left with nothing. We would have cap space wouldn't we?
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#76 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Going to guess that if he didn't want him, he'd very quickly change his mind. Imagine if Paul could unlock Giannis' flopping game?

Change his views on Paul once he saw that he rubbed people the wrong way by being super competitive. I think Giannis would love Paul, Butler, anyone like that.

I think I agree, I’m just not sure I‘d want them overriding Giannis on such a huge decision right now. If it goes south there’s just too much ammo there. Everything to this point has been about empowering Giannis. Can’t wait to find out, that’s why they all make the big bucks.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#77 » by RiotPunch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm

For all of Chris Paul's antics, he is a fiery competitor that will do whatever it takes to win, and I'd bet Giannis respects that. He thinks the game in a way that Giannis doesn't and could really benefit from that, and I'd bet Giannis recognizes that as well.

I've been back and forth on pursuing him, but I think the Bucks will. This is a smoke and mirrors attempt from Marc & Alex, IMO.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#78 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 pm

So last Lasry era gave us Kidd and Monroe. Got to say I'm more than a little worried about the potential for casual fan derp returning to the front office. This is why I like the Paul idea. He's both the name recognition guy and easily better than any teammate Giannis has had.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#79 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 am

How can we get Minny to S&T us Beasley?
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#80 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 am

RiotPunch wrote: This is a smoke and mirrors attempt from Marc & Alex, IMO.

Shams Text after elimination game: "Hey Alex, this loss now means Chris Paul, doesn't it? Alex: "Yes"

Next day text from Dad: "Why the heck did you tell Shams that? Now we lose leverage. Let me first see if Giannis wants him, then you text Nehm and tell him we have zero interest. Meanwhile I'll have Horst set up a call for Presti and myself for later in the week"
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks