ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi didn't believe Toronto would repeat

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Re: Kawhi didn't believe Toronto would repeat 

Post#241 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

joseph227 wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:Is Rust_Cohle a Spurs fan, what's going on here?

Don't know what's going on but a Spurs and Barca fan? Big time bandwagoner lmao.

Been a Spurs fan since '95 thanks to David Robinson and a Barca fan since 2003. Don't make silly assumptions please.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#242 » by C Court » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

He’s a Spurs fan who lives here. He comes out occasionally to troll Raptor fans. Just ignore him.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#243 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:47 am

phanman wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:Raptors still have a ton of players who are meant to contribute. So many of them across the board were poor in the Boston series. Kawhi would inarguably help the supporting cast I don't argue that, but I don't buy that everyone would magically improve because sometimes slumps are slumps.

Thats a real narrow way of evaluating the series against Boston. Slumps are slumps?

You clearly did not watch the series because the biggest issue we had was manufacturing offense and with Boston's defense the fast break opportunities were next to none. You add in a 28-30pt scorer like Kawhi and that alleviates the pressure the others are having when it comes to scoring. You feed off the #1 option and his 20 shots a game and fill in around where you can.

A supporting cast will always get better when there's a better player than joins the team. Everybody slides down a spot and that isn't even accounting for the addition of OG, who didn't even play in last year's run.

Yes everyone slides down a slot but bad shooting is bad shooting. The Raps ball movement wasn't nearly as good as last year. Raps struggled a lot offensively against Philly as well. Good defensive teams are always going to b tough to go up against although having a kawhi obviously helps.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#244 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 am

Centre Court wrote:

He’s a Spurs fan who lives here. He comes out occasionally to troll Raptor fans. Just ignore him.

I genuinely like the Raptors. It's silly to call me a troll. I may criticize the team from time to time (gave them tons of props during their title run last year) but I'm not a troll. I'm just not a homer for the team.
joseph227
Senior
And1: 1,588

Post#245 » by joseph227 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
joseph227 wrote:

Don't know what's going on but a Spurs and Barca fan? Big time bandwagoner lmao.

Been a Spurs fan since '95 thanks to David Robinson and a Barca fan since 2003. Don't make dumb assumptions please.

So a bandwagoner lol.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#246 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 am

joseph227 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
joseph227 wrote:

Been a Spurs fan since '95 thanks to David Robinson and a Barca fan since 2003. Don't make dumb assumptions please.

So a bandwagoner lol.

:lol: yeah okay, keep smoking the good stuff, Barca weren't that great in 2003, Spurs had yet to win a title in 1995. But whatever you say with this dumb assumptions.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,389

Post#247 » by phanman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:53 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:Yes everyone slides down a slot but bad shooting is bad shooting. The Raps ball movement wasn't nearly as good as last year. Raps struggled a lot offensively against Philly as well. Good defensive teams are always going to b tough to go up against although having a kawhi obviously helps.

Yeah.. the ball movement wasn't as good as last season because we are missing ~30pts and 4ast from our starting unit. Guys were forcing shots late in the shot clock because we didn't have that pressure release valve in Kawhi. I don't think you truly understand how much of an impact the guy had on our team offensively. Especially with Siakam struggling to produce in a role that Kawhi left behind.

I mean we went from 5th in ORTG to 14th this season.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#248 » by MixxSRC » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
phanman wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:Raptors still have a ton of players who are meant to contribute. So many of them across the board were poor in the Boston series. Kawhi would inarguably help the supporting cast I don't argue that, but I don't buy that everyone would magically improve because sometimes slumps are slumps.

Thats a real narrow way of evaluating the series against Boston. Slumps are slumps?

You clearly did not watch the series because the biggest issue we had was manufacturing offense and with Boston's defense the fast break opportunities were next to none. You add in a 28-30pt scorer like Kawhi and that alleviates the pressure the others are having when it comes to scoring. You feed off the #1 option and his 20 shots a game and fill in around where you can.

A supporting cast will always get better when there's a better player than joins the team. Everybody slides down a spot and that isn't even accounting for the addition of OG, who didn't even play in last year's run.

Yes everyone slides down a slot but bad shooting is bad shooting. The Raps ball movement wasn't nearly as good as last year. Raps struggled a lot offensively against Philly as well. Good defensive teams are always going to b tough to go up against although having a kawhi obviously helps.

Bad shooting is not just bad shooting. That take makes no sense. Role on offense and opportunities you get all affect FG%. This is not a video game.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#249 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:57 am

phanman wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:Yes everyone slides down a slot but bad shooting is bad shooting. The Raps ball movement wasn't nearly as good as last year. Raps struggled a lot offensively against Philly as well. Good defensive teams are always going to b tough to go up against although having a kawhi obviously helps.

Yeah.. the ball movement wasn't as good as last season because we are missing ~30pts and 4ast from our starting unit. Guys were forcing shots late in the shot clock because we didn't have that pressure release valve in Kawhi. I don't think you truly understand how much of an impact the guy had on our team offensively. Especially with Siakam struggling to produce in a role that Kawhi left behind.

I mean we went from 5th in ORTG to 14th this season.

Fair points buddy
joseph227
Senior

Post#250 » by joseph227 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
joseph227 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

So a bandwagoner lol.

:lol: yeah okay, keep smoking the good stuff, Barca weren't that great in 2003, Spurs had yet to win a title in 1995. But whatever you say with this dumb assumptions.

Oh yeah they were really down in the dumps when you hopped on. I don't really care if you're a bandwagoner really so just own it. I'm sure you're used to it by now if you make your fandom known unless you're a Spanish guy in texas.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#251 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 am

joseph227 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
joseph227 wrote:
So a bandwagoner lol.

Oh yeah they were really down in the dumps when you hopped on. I don't really care if you're a bandwagoner really so just own it. I'm sure you're used to it by now if you make your fandom known unless you're a Spanish guy in texas.

Ah, the classic unless you spent your whole life in the city you can’t be a legit fan. Brilliant take
joseph227
Senior

Post#252 » by joseph227 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
joseph227 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

Ah, the classic unless you spent your whole life in the city you can’t be a legit fan. Brilliant take

Not trying to hate. I'm just jealous, I wish i can choose 2 successful teams to hop on to and then they continue to be great for 99% of the time after.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#253 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
The clippers are also another piece away. If the raptors don’t have that top ten scorer (which is a big piece to need, as elite scorers aren’t a dime a dozen) then they clearly aren’t title contenders. People on here acting like clippers are pretenders but raptors weren’t Is laughable. Both teams are a piece or two away from being legit contenders. Siakim is not a top 2 option at all. Lowry is aging as good as he is. Gasol is finished and FVV took a step back in the playoffs. Last year was the perfect storm for the Raps and full credit they deserved it.

But people acting like the raps lost to the best team in the league while the nuggets are a joke is just silly. Nuggets will also be facing much tougher competition than the Celtics will and the Celtics are already losing their series. For all we know the nuggets might be better than the Celtics. They’re doing historic things during this run.

One thing we know - the Raptors won a championship with Leonard, while the Clippers did not even get out of the second round. I think one team has proven what it can do with that one player of that calibee while the Clippers have shown that they don't appear to play like a team serious for a championship.

The Raptors were also a couple of baskets away from making the Eastern Conference finals again after losing the best player in the league and another starter. Leonard told the Raptors brass last second that he wasn't returning, AFTER free agents had already signed, giving the Raptors no time to fill their empty roster spots.

Still don't get what you are trying to argue here. One team proved they can win with him while another team showed that they can't.

This year's supporting cast wasn't as good as last year. Siakim wont magically shoot well from 3 just because of kawhi this season. The Raptors barely had anyone show up this year come playoff time. Gasol is washed up, FVV came back down to earth. Kawhi would take them to the finals, possibly a title, but the supporting in arguably got weaker this year. With or without kawhi.

You're missing the point of having a player of that calibre. Siakam instantly becomes better by moving back to his order in the lineup. The proof was already there last year. The proof was here to see if you actually watched the Raptors play thisbyear.

Like I said earlier, each player is having to play one level higher than they did last year which is why they didn't go as far this year. The supporting cast is the same as last year except for Danny Green who was replaced by OG. When Kyle Lowry went on a scoring tear the Raptors won. Kyle Lowry cannot do that every game at this age and size. The Raptors are setup better than any other team to take that next step. They don't even have one star player on the team, but have the foundation where you can simply add one player and become an instant champion. Most other teams do not have the chemistry or the caliber of their defense to get there.

Kawhi Leonard does not win a championship last year without a team of the Raptors' calibre. He saw that the hard way this year. He went to a team who looked better on paper but are seriously flawed. Meanwhile the Raptors (who most in the US didn't even expect to make the playoffs due to the media narative :lol: ) showed that even after losing two starters they had a legit shot at making the finals again.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#254 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 am

joseph227 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
joseph227 wrote:

Not trying to hate. I'm just jealous, I wish i can choose 2 successful teams to hop on to and then they continue to be great for 99% of the time after.

Haha well right now Barca are getting humiliated in CL and the Spurs have finally missed the playoffs. But I’ve been wanting the Spurs to rebuild for a while so this was long overdue.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,288

Post#255 » by raptorstime » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:48 am

he probably didnt think the nba teams that made it this far would be this weak.
supra2k8
Starter
And1: 4,070

Post#256 » by supra2k8 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 am

Kawhi was playing hurt last year, plus raps could have added some vets for cheap. It's easier to get vets when you're the champ and fav the next season, oh well...
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#257 » by JJWong17 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:50 am

Centre Court wrote:

Yeah I'm a little surprised so many people are still engaging. I blocked him pretty quickly since his agenda was pretty obvious
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,356

Post#258 » by mkot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:58 am

So he took his talent to Clippers and forced them to get Paul George for him. Good for him.

Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
C Court
RealGM

Post#259 » by C Court » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:00 am

Read on Twitter
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
C Court
RealGM

Post#260 » by C Court » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:07 am