ImageImageImageImageImage

we were so close to getting Murray

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Re: we were so close to getting Murray 

Post#41 » by Psubs » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:53 am

Does Karim Mane have anything close to Murray's?
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#42 » by VancouverRaps » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:52 am

Clearly a few people here aren’t familiar with the Butterfly Effect lol

Raps somehow end up with Murray and it’s very possible that this franchise is still ringless
We the Champs
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,555

Post#43 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am

blastttOFF wrote:Murray has another level in the playoffs. Him and jokic pick and roll is like Malone and Stockton 2.0

lest year it was nothing like this, though
Слава Украине!
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#44 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:06 pm

NUCKER101 wrote:Clearly a few people here aren’t familiar with the Butterfly Effect lol

Raps somehow end up with Murray and it’s very possible that this franchise is still ringless

Exactly. And, as an aside, let me remind all of you that if you ever have the option to time travel, you should never travel before June 15, 2019.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#45 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:18 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:If he was here doing what he's doing now he'd be the biggest star in Canada by far.
I love our team but I pray one day we get a great canadian on our team to come play

We had Tracy Murray and Lamond Murray. Lamond sucked.

The only thing I remember about him is that he had to defend Shaq for a few possessions for us because all our bigs fouled out. :lol:
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#46 » by Pooh_Jeter » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm

beanbag wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Lol at all this.

And you don't have the foggiest of clues as to how Murray played last year.

I've been following him closely since he burst onto the Canadian basketball scene at the Biosteel All-Star game. He was also outstanding at the U16s and Pan Ams. If I was in the war room with Masai I would have told him to double down on Murray and do everything in your power to secure him.

Who says he didn't?

If you did everything in your power to secure him, you would have Murray on this roster. The Raptors missed him be 2 picks, it's not like they had no picks or assets to trade.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#47 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
I've been following him closely since he burst onto the Canadian basketball scene at the Biosteel All-Star game. He was also outstanding at the U16s and Pan Ams. If I was in the war room with Masai I would have told him to double down on Murray and do everything in your power to secure him.

Who says he didn't?

If you did everything in your power to secure him, you would have Murray on this roster. The Raptors missed him be 2 picks, it's not like they had no picks or assets to trade.

Thank god it's not on you and you didn't and go and lose our one and only championship for us.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#48 » by Pooh_Jeter » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Who says he didn't?

Thank god it's not on you and you didn't and go and lose our one and only championship for us.

If I was GM we wouldn't have had to rely on a one in a million trade to be a contender for just one year. It's about building a dynasty.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#49 » by libertyYYZ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:14 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:If he was here doing what he's doing now he'd be the biggest star in Canada by far.
I love our team but I pray one day we get a great canadian on our team to come play

We had Tracy Murray and Lamond Murray. Lamond sucked.

The only thing I remember about him is that he had to defend Shaq for a few possessions for us because all our bigs fouled out. :lol:

Good memory! I kinda remember that game :D
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#50 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

If I was GM we wouldn't have had to rely on a one in a million trade to be a contender for just one year. It's about building a dynasty.

Lmao. If you were the Gm this team would be a **** disaster with the employees fleeing like refugees and never even close to winning. And minus one championship. But the level of arrogance there is A+.
mkot
General Manager
And1: 1,345

Post#51 » by mkot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:12 pm

blastttOFF wrote:Murray has another level in the playoffs. Him and jokic pick and roll is like Malone and Stockton 2.0

That's over the top. But Murray is better than Stockton on scoring and Jokic is better than Malone on passing. Different combo.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#52 » by mcgrady_1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:26 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,004

Post#53 » by kalel123 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

Who says he didn't?

Don't be a fool. #9 pick was used to get Kawhi and it got us a championship. Get over yourself.

And there was a huge drop-off in talent (perceived and/or real) from #7 to #9 that year making it very tough to move up with that pick. We had to settle for Poetl.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#54 » by beanbag » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

What a lousy GM relying on that trade that won us a championship.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,888

Post#55 » by Reeko » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:25 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Lmao. If you were the Gm this team would be a **** disaster with the employees fleeing like refugees and never even close to winning. And minus one championship. But the level of arrogance there is A+.

If Ace Ventura is your GM what could possibly go wrong?
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#56 » by God Squad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:29 am

ash_k wrote:Murray is just a confirmation that scouting and ranking for elite players might have to change

10 years ago, Murray's game and size would be the one of a 6th man. Combo-guards were not starters. Jamal is a pure combo-guard as much as he likes to say "I have played point most of my life".

Ben Simmons
Brandon Ingram
Jaylen Brown

Would you draft Murray ahead of any of those guys? I am not there yet :lol: , I would not!

Probably ahead of Brown and Ingram. I'm not as low on Ben Simmons as most are.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#57 » by God Squad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:30 am

In what world were we "so close to getting Murray"?
God Squad
RealGM

Post#58 » by God Squad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#59 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:44 am

The Raps were not close to getting Murray.

I would not trade the years since then just to see how that would have played out anyway.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#60 » by God Squad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 am

Badonkadonk wrote:The Raps were not close to getting Murray.

I would not trade the years since then just to see how that would have played out anyway.

Plenty of franchises would change their past 5-10 years if not more just to win an NBA championship. People underestimate how blessed we were to win that ship. I myself will never forget it and IMO that Summer was crazy af. The energy from the city during that playoff run was bonkers.

Return to Toronto Raptors