ImageImageImage

Post-Game Notes: BOS 114, MIA 117 (0-1)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Re: Post-Game Notes: BOS 114, MIA 117 (0-1) 

Post#341 » by Green89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Ill News wrote:Tyler Herro has brass balls. That transition three he took when we went up 5 in regulation was massive. I wish he was on our team.

Herro is now 5/10 (50%) from 3 in clutch minutes in the postseason. Here's the top 6 guys, minimum 5 3PAs:
• Murray - 7/9
• Doncic - 3/5
• Herro - 5/10
• Crowder - 2/5
• Butler - 2/5
• Harden - 2/5

Butler has 50/40/90 splits in the clutch. Main reason they're 6-1 in clutch games this postseason.

Brown is 1/5 from 3. Tatum is 1/8 from 3. Celtics are 5-4 in clutch games this postseason. Tatum has been shooting 21.1% from the field in clutch minutes in the playoffs compared to 50% in the regular season.
Well there's your proof that this team has clutch issues.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

As I just posted, Tatum's outlook may have something to do with late game shots. He said post game that he "just takes what the defense gives him". Which says to me he adjusts his game to what he sees, rather than instilling his strengths and best moves on the defense, no matter how they are set. If you don't put pressure on the defense, you aren't going to come up with easier shots. You take the shot they give you that is usually the worst shot for you, and exactly what they want to see.

I don't know about anyone else, but this comment by Tatum was very concerning to me, especially coupled with his 1/8 clutch numbers pointed out above.
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#342 » by GWVan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Tatum with a bad finish, I still got Celtics in 6
After I saw the pictures I had to look up the Bam block to see why it was not a goaltend, not sure I still understand. It looks like tatum got the ball into the cylinder on it's way down and it was prevented from continuing. Maybe it's just a bad angle. Also looks like Bam could have ended up breaking his wrist on the rim.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,457

Post#343 » by Saint Lazarus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

GWVan wrote:Tatum with a bad finish, I still got Celtics in 6
After I saw the pictures I had to look up the Bam block to see why it was not a goaltend, not sure I still understand. It looks like tatum got the ball into the cylinder on it's way down and it was prevented from continuing. Maybe it's just a bad angle. Also looks like Bam could have ended up breaking his wrist on the rim.

It’s not a traditional shot so it’s not a goaltend.

Also I wish Tatum was like a little bit stronger and yammed it in anyway. Very much a “if he dies, he dies” situation with Bam’s wrist in that case.
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,830

Post#344 » by Bar Fight » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Green89 wrote:Tatum made a disturbing, un-superstarlike comment post game. Talking about his two shots, he said he just takes whatever the defense gives him. Wow, Brad needs to speak to him ASAP. Elite offensive scorers make the defense adjust to their offense, and instill their offensive talent on the defense, not the other way around. This is not a good mentality to have. This is the complete opposite of Mamba Mentality, where you go out and get your shot, not settling for what you see the defense is allowing you. You don't let the defense get in your way of what you can do out on the floor.

:lol: Are you serious? The phrase "I just took what the defense gave me" is an all time sports cliche. Pretty sure almost every superstar has said that. That's just a default response to post game questions. It means almost nothing.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#345 » by djFan71 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:I appreciate you challenging me on this, but I feel this is a lot of confirmation bias. It doesn't matter if there are reasons for it during the regular season..it happened. This is a young team. Should have beat Toronto in 5, maybe 6. Should have won last night. When the game is close, it's more in question than it should be. Yesterday was a choke.

Yeah, I'm not saying we didn't piss away a big lead. I just take issue with the hyperbole of it: mentally weak, no other team has this much trouble meeting it's potential, etc. I don't buy that.

Jaqua92 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Brown is 1/5 from 3. Tatum is 1/8 from 3. Celtics are 5-4 in clutch games this postseason. Tatum has been shooting 21.1% from the field in clutch minutes in the playoffs compared to 50% in the regular season.

Funny, I see a winning record in the clutch and see that as proof it doesn't. Finds a way to win despite poor shooting by Tatum.
I guess we won't agree on this one. :D
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#346 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:I appreciate you challenging me on this, but I feel this is a lot of confirmation bias. It doesn't matter if there are reasons for it during the regular season..it happened. This is a young team. Should have beat Toronto in 5, maybe 6. Should have won last night. When the game is close, it's more in question than it should be. Yesterday was a choke.

Yeah, I'm not saying we didn't piss away a big lead. I just take issue with the hyperbole of it: mentally weak, no other team has this much trouble meeting it's potential, etc. I don't buy that.

Jaqua92 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Brown is 1/5 from 3. Tatum is 1/8 from 3. Celtics are 5-4 in clutch games this postseason. Tatum has been shooting 21.1% from the field in clutch minutes in the playoffs compared to 50% in the regular season.

Funny, I see a winning record in the clutch and see that as proof it doesn't. Finds a way to win despite poor shooting by Tatum.
I guess we won't agree on this one. :D
All good. 2-3 years from now I'm sure that this team will shake this.

I'm not confident in their ability to close out games. I'm confident that this team is good enough to get themselves in a situation where clutch time play isn't necessary. However, it's going to happen.

Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,013

Post#347 » by Bad-Thoma » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm

We could go 81-1 and after the one loss we'd have to talk some of y'all off the ledge. Miami is a good team, we're a good team. It's going to be a great series.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#348 » by GoGreen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:We could go 81-1 and after the one loss we'd have to talk some of y'all off the ledge. Miami is a good team, we're a good team. It's going to be a great series.

Pretty much this. It is what it is. On to the next
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#349 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:03 pm

fallguy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Refs had jack and **** to do with that outcome. Heard fans of many teams saying that on behalf of one team or the other, and the 80s fan in me thinks it is maybe time for them to get their balls out of their mother's purses. This is the **** ECFs.

Heat made big plays. Big shots, big block.

We missed Hayward. No **** way should Wanamaker, the Williams Brothers, and Ojeleye be getting 56 minutes in a ECF game, even if it goes OT. That number would have been 20 with Hayward, with Kemba and Tatum getting to coast a little more to save themselves for crunch time, and Smart would be asked to do a little less. We gassed just as we have been gassing, and that a huge reason why. We are too deep to not have a full clip.

We can take these guys. They have some studs, but just not man enough. I'm not going to say that they have too many white guys in the same breath I am lamenting not having our best white guy, because that would be uncouth, but well... they opened the game with Herro on Tatum. Another one of their guys went to Williams. We can get mad gully on these mother ****.

I basically agree with you but I also suspect you've been drinking :)

I'm glad you responded fallguy. I had no idea how to appropriately respond to that post. LOL
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#350 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 pm

GoGreen wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:We could go 81-1 and after the one loss we'd have to talk some of y'all off the ledge. Miami is a good team, we're a good team. It's going to be a great series.

Pretty much this. It is what it is. On to the next

I'm all for taking 12 hours if you need it to vent after a Game 1 loss in the ECF. It is the ECF after all. But after that, It should be move on, full speed ahead.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#351 » by AgentGreen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:19 pm

I knew we would blow that lead in the first half after that Spo timeout.. Brad is a great coach but he is also in the top 3 of coaches who give away big leads. His in games tactics are average and that's not enough against a coach like Spo who has a player like Butler on his team.

Those open looks we gave away in the 2nd and 4th qrts were horrendous. Tyler Hero came up clutch in the 4th that was the moment we lost momentum. When we went to overtime i already had the feeling that Butler will close this out. Sigh!

We cant even set a decent screen for Kemba, what the hell is wrong with these guys. They hardly set a good screen for him and Brad has no answer for like 6 games in a row. He really lacks a good coaching assistant on the offensive side. Brad himself is an elite defensive coach.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,050

Post#352 » by London2Boston » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm

AgentGreen wrote:I knew we would blow that lead in the first half after that Spo timeout.. Brad is a great coach but he is also in the top 3 of coaches who give away big leads. His in games tactics are average and that's not enough against a coach like Spo who has a player like Butler on his team.

Those open looks we gave away in the 2nd and 4th qrts were horrendous. Tyler Hero came up clutch in the 4th that was the moment we lost momentum. When we went to overtime i already had the feeling that Butler will close this out. Sigh!

We cant even set a decent screen for Kemba, what the hell is wrong with these guys. They hardly set a good screen for him and Brad has no answer for like 6 games in a row. He really lacks a good coaching assistant on the offensive side. Brad himself is an elite defensive coach.

Yeah. Regardless of what happens the rest of the way(still think we will win this), 2 of the priorities this season need to be to sort out our bench and bring in an offensive whizz to the coaching staff.

I dread to think of the scoring droughts the team will have if we make the finals against the Lakers :oops:
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#353 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
fallguy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Refs had jack and **** to do with that outcome. Heard fans of many teams saying that on behalf of one team or the other, and the 80s fan in me thinks it is maybe time for them to get their balls out of their mother's purses. This is the **** ECFs.

Heat made big plays. Big shots, big block.

We missed Hayward. No **** way should Wanamaker, the Williams Brothers, and Ojeleye be getting 56 minutes in a ECF game, even if it goes OT. That number would have been 20 with Hayward, with Kemba and Tatum getting to coast a little more to save themselves for crunch time, and Smart would be asked to do a little less. We gassed just as we have been gassing, and that a huge reason why. We are too deep to not have a full clip.

We can take these guys. They have some studs, but just not man enough. I'm not going to say that they have too many white guys in the same breath I am lamenting not having our best white guy, because that would be uncouth, but well... they opened the game with Herro on Tatum. Another one of their guys went to Williams. We can get mad gully on these mother ****.

I basically agree with you but I also suspect you've been drinking :)

I'm glad you responded fallguy. I had no idea how to appropriately respond to that post. LOL

IT'S ALL TRUE

Except the drinking part lol.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,505

Post#354 » by VeryMuchWoke » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Let's be real for a second. The Heat are the 5th seed in the worse conference. They are a top 10 team, but not a top 7 team. In a vacuum, I'd rather face them than the Raptors, Bucks, Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, and Rockets.

They are playing at their ceiling, but if we we're anywhere close to ours we win in 5 games at most. The only reason they have any kind of shot is because Hayward, and now possibly Kemba, is injured.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#355 » by Red2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 pm

We need Gordon back ASAP especially with Kemba struggling . We have no bench . Even with walker stinking and no bench we had a good lead in the 4th and should have won . Here’s hoping that Jae crowder comes back to earth . No doubt he wants to beat us but lest anyone forget he’s also was part of the play where Gordon got hurt .
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#356 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Ill News wrote:Tyler Herro has brass balls. That transition three he took when we went up 5 in regulation was massive. I wish he was on our team.

Herro is now 5/10 (50%) from 3 in clutch minutes in the postseason. Here's the top 6 guys, minimum 5 3PAs:
• Murray - 7/9
• Doncic - 3/5
• Herro - 5/10
• Crowder - 2/5
• Butler - 2/5
• Harden - 2/5

Butler has 50/40/90 splits in the clutch. Main reason they're 6-1 in clutch games this postseason.

Brown is 1/5 from 3. Tatum is 1/8 from 3. Celtics are 5-4 in clutch games this postseason. Tatum has been shooting 21.1% from the field in clutch minutes in the playoffs compared to 50% in the regular season.

Add or subtract one from each player and it completely changes this proof.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#357 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Herro is now 5/10 (50%) from 3 in clutch minutes in the postseason. Here's the top 6 guys, minimum 5 3PAs:
• Murray - 7/9
• Doncic - 3/5
• Herro - 5/10
• Crowder - 2/5
• Butler - 2/5
• Harden - 2/5

So abandon reality to change that proof. Got it.

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#358 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:14 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Well there's your proof that this team has clutch issues.

So abandon reality to change that proof. Got it.

Are you so fickle that you will literally change your opinion after the result of every single basket?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,639

Post#359 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm

Read on Twitter

THe CEltICs dOn'T NEed HaYWoOD.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#360 » by Ernest » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm

A few thoughts:

1. What a good game. Sucks to lose but it was a fun game to watch.

2. Good experience for Tatum. He's clearly going to be a superstar in the NBA for a long time. Every big shot make or miss is great experience.

3. I wish we still had Crowder. He played really well.

Return to Boston Celtics