ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Re: Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent? 

Post#21 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:31 pm

He might have to leave the Clippers even though he's in LA with his twin brother now. If he does (big if), he'll go to Houston or Milwaukee, book it.

He's no match here.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,285

Re: Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent? 

Post#22 » by Hes_On_Fire » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Morris is a herb and fake tough guy. He doesn’t represent NY.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#23 » by WargamesX » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am

We Won a Trade!
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#24 » by NYKAL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 pm

he was the only guy on the team with a pair of balls as far as I'm concerned. Effected the entire mind state of the team and had Frankie saying, "I want to be a dog too." Anyone who effects the the teams MINDSET in such a refreshing way is a must have as far as I'm concerned.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#25 » by Oscirus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Ironically enough, if not for his beef with donacic, he'd be perfect for the mavs, but thankfully for us it exists so he'll likely get overpaid to stay with the clips and good for him.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#26 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 pm

To me, assuming you trade Randle first, Morris is the best candidate out there at PF. Its not that he's the best PF in the league, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to overhype him but he fits the best to me in what most fans seemingly want. Some want the extreme of fully tanking and having our young players sink or swim. Some wanna fast forward this rebuild and go out and sign a superstar but a happy median is similar to what we did this yr, except with the right type of guys who can play but show some leadership and have us still focus on the development of our youth.

There are a few moves that can do that. One rumor having us trade Randle for Conley. That's a great move if it happens but I like that trade along with signing Morris cause its brings in 2 leaders who play defense and can shoot well for thier positions but still puts RJ and Robinson at the forefront of our team.

But since this is a thread about Morris yeah, I think with many options we're trying to solve for shooting but are willing to sacrifice defense, toughness and in some cases rebounding. Case in point this love for Bertans and Gallo. Yeah I wanna shots the floor both on offense and defense but when necessary I still wanna have a guy who can battle down low or defend a big in the post. In all these areas I think Morris is a great jack of all trades. There are better pure shooting options but I want a balanced player as well as someone who's been through a playoff run before. Marcus is my kindov guy and maybe you can get him on a 3yr 45mil deal with a team option for yr 3.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#27 » by Ray Williams » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Dantares wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:so he can play hero ball again and take touches away from the youth that need it?

wait that? He scored 19.6 ppg on 14.8 shots for us playing out of position. Less than 15 shots per game and that efficiency doesnt scream chucker to me. If anything this team is looking to build around RJ and putting the ball in his hands. I see RJ becoming a 20ppg scorer regardless next season. Morris would be a nice complimentary player

I would love to see him back here.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Dantares wrote:Why is there so much talk about CP3, Russ, Bertans, FVV? but hardly anyone mentions bringing back our guy Marcus Morris? he brings toughness and defense, he's a volume 3 point shooter with high percentages, he can create his own shot, playoff experience. I've never heard that he didnt get along with any of his teammates in NYK or that his teammates criticized his style of play like they criticized Randle. Why dont we bring him back and play him at his natural position PF like the Clippers are doing. Clippers are probably going to pay 6th man of the year Montrezl Harrell rather than outbid a team for Marcus Morris services.

Net Rating
AD 10.8
Bron 10.1
Hayward 10
Zubac 9.9
Morris 9.2

Gordon hayward only played 1 game so Morris should really be #4 on that list. Anyways what is the reason you would not want Marcus Morris back? I think he would be a perfect compliment stretch 4 for Mitch and RJ and would help both of them get better.

When you put it like that it actually makes him sound worse. We should STILL be looking at FVV, trading for Paul and making those types of moves (notice I didn't include Bertans). But as your secondary move yes, getting Morris back would be awesome.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#29 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Just the wrong timeline. I'd take him if he came cheap (and then maybe trade him). I'[d love to have him back when he's a crusty old vet and ready to mentor people on a minimum contract.

But seriously, he should get more love. First option here, not in the right role. And yet he can still play defense and shoot and play off two better players. Basically, almost argument I've heard people make for Randle fits Morris that much better. We got fans talking about scrubs like Burke and THJ when this guy was better than all of them.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Morris showed that he wants to play as if he's one of the top options (if not THE top option). That's when he's more into the game, more confident and where his game shines. The question is, is that the role you want him to be in for this team?

That's the same kind of fit trap we fell in when we landed Randle. Wrong fit, wrong role, leading to poor results and the realization that it was a bad signing. That's why a front office's job is not easy and you can't just have any Tom, Steve or Isiah in charge.

Anyone can find the best "talent". The hard part is fit and winning with the "talent" right?
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#31 » by NYKAL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:Morris showed that he wants to play as if he's one of the top options (if not THE top option). That's when he's more into the game, more confident and where his game shines. The question is, is that the role you want him to be in for this team?

That's the same kind of fit trap we fell in when we landed Randle. Wrong fit, wrong role, leading to poor results and the realization that it was a bad signing. That's why a front office's job is not easy and you can't just have any Tom, Steve or Isiah in charge.

Anyone can find the best "talent". The hard part is fit and winning with the "talent" right?

Well, since he'd instantly be our Best player, makes sense for him to get among the most shots. Sounds like Logic to me.

And it's not the same as Randle. Marcus DOES NOT clog the lane, if anything he stretches the floor very well. As an added bonus, he'll get these guys playing hard. Love guys that can inspire.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#32 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm

NYKAL wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Morris showed that he wants to play as if he's one of the top options (if not THE top option). That's when he's more into the game, more confident and where his game shines. The question is, is that the role you want him to be in for this team?

Well, since he'd instantly be our Best player, makes sense for him to get among the most shots. Sounds like Logic to me.

And it's not the same as Randle. Marcus DOES NOT clog the lane, if anything he stretches the floor very well. As an added bonus, he'll get these guys playing hard. Love guys that can inspire.

So you like treadmills do you (RE: your best player comment)? Morris didn't clog lanes cause he actually found his 3 point shot with the Knicks (and lost it when he went to the Clips). As far as getting guys to play hard? What was the Knicks record with him on the team? Marcus Morris screamed a lot, thumped his chest and got into opposing players faces so I'll give him that. If he ends up being the Knicks best player, the Knicks would be in trouble...again...still.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:18 am

Garbagelo wrote:
Dantares wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:so he can play hero ball again and take touches away from the youth that need it?

wait that? He scored 19.6 ppg on 14.8 shots for us playing out of position. Less than 15 shots per game and that efficiency doesnt scream chucker to me. If anything this team is looking to build around RJ and putting the ball in his hands. I see RJ becoming a 20ppg scorer regardless next season. Morris would be a nice complimentary player

While playing iso ball all day

HARD pass. Diamond hard.

Meh, he did his job. Knicks probably told him to have at it to raise his trade value and the Knicks flipped a 1yr for a 1st rounder. Everybody won.

Next season, assuming youre landing other players he'll settle back into his Celtic role and Im good with that.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#34 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 am

Morris was one of the only bright spots this season

I would welcome him back with open arms
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#35 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 pm

NYKAL wrote:

He's a good fit at PF
He brings a certain kind of toughness and positive attitude, but:

I'm not sure Morris has the mindset, nor is he at the point in his career, where he'd take a role other than #1 option, since he's clearly the best player. And maybe that's ok, but there's a chance Morris would be going for his while the Knicks are trying to develop the youth.

Anyway, pretty sure he's looking for both a payday AND to play for a contender
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#36 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

He's a good fit at PF
He brings a certain kind of toughness and positive attitude, but:

I'm not sure Morris has the mindset, nor is he at the point in his career, where he'd take a role other than #1 option, since he's clearly the best player. And maybe that's ok, but there's a chance Morris would be going for his while the Knicks are trying to develop the youth.

Anyway, pretty sure he's looking for both a payday AND to play for a contender

The only way he'd be the #1 option would be if we did nothing else to upgrade the roster. I doubt they have any intention of bringing him back to be the #1. We need a stretch 4 which, he can be for us.

Hell, even if he was, so what. If he's the best player we wind up signing, that isn't his fault.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#37 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:59 pm

I guess the biggest thing is that it's about price and fit. My biggest assumption with all this is that Rose is going to aim for the big dogs via trade or FA. My question about signing Morris would be, is his price reasonable, and can he shift his role when needed?

Watching Morris in LA now, I don't have questions about the 2nd question and I disagree with " he wants to play as if he's one of the top options (if not THE top option)." In LA, he acclimated fine and performed well (as OP has stated). He might have wanted more freedom and responsibility, but when it came down to it, he adjusted his game, took less shots, and even came off the bench. The big difference between Randle and Morris is that if you tell Randle, "okay, now time for you to play with Kawhi and George," he's going to be exposed more than Trez. If Rose gets a meeting with Giannis, I am not going to tell Giannis that he gets the privilege of playing with Randle. But with Morris, he can play with guys like Giannis, Lebron, Harden, etc. Honestly, I expected Morris to play even worse as a 1st option. I would be more than okay with Randle being inefficient as a 1st option if he could have answered this question.

As for the 1st question, I think LA traded their pick with the hopes of resigning him to a 16 mill a year contract for a long time (someone check my math). We can't match that at all. And, if he comes here, his timeline is not gonna fit ours. I'd sign him to a cheaper contract if possible and maybe trade him down the line though. Just doesn't make sense. But doesn't mean that we can't be fans.

The main thing is, this is the real guy who needs to be celebrated on this forum. He was in the wrong role, but he worked hard, hit threes, played defense...if a lot of our mismatched guys would do that, it'd be more acceptable. Wasn't perfect but if he was able to make plays for others, he'd be in line to earn a shyt-ton of money and would be worthy of a 1st or 2nd option role.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#38 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

I guess the biggest thing is that it's about price and fit. My biggest assumption with all this is that Rose is going to aim for the big dogs via trade or FA. My question about signing Morris would be, is his price reasonable, and can he shift his role when needed?

Watching Morris in LA now, I don't have questions about the 2nd question and I disagree with " he wants to play as if he's one of the top options (if not THE top option)." In LA, he acclimated fine and performed well (as OP has stated). He might have wanted more freedom and responsibility, but when it came down to it, he adjusted his game, took less shots, and even came off the bench. The big difference between Randle and Morris is that if you tell Randle, "okay, now time for you to play with Kawhi and George," he's going to be exposed more than Trez. If Rose gets a meeting with Giannis, I am not going to tell Giannis that he gets the privilege of playing with Randle. But with Morris, he can play with guys like Giannis, Lebron, Harden, etc. Honestly, I expected Morris to play even worse as a 1st option. I would be more than okay with Randle being inefficient as a 1st option if he could have answered this question.

As for the 1st question, I think LA traded their pick with the hopes of resigning him to a 16 mill a year contract for a long time (someone check my math). We can't match that at all. And, if he comes here, his timeline is not gonna fit ours. I'd sign him to a cheaper contract if possible and maybe trade him down the line though. Just doesn't make sense. But doesn't mean that we can't be fans.

The main thing is, this is the real guy who needs to be celebrated on this forum. He was in the wrong role, but he worked hard, hit threes, played defense...if a lot of our mismatched guys would do that, it'd be more acceptable. Wasn't perfect but if he was able to make plays for others, he'd be in line to earn a shyt-ton of money and would be worthy of a 1st or 2nd option role.

guys are acting like he's some malconent or will make demands. Dude just want a home and the chance to play
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#39 » by MadGrinch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Dantares wrote:

just because he was efficient doesn't mean he was good for the team

they were 14-29 in the games marcus morris played for the knicks, and its worth noting robinson , frank , rj , randle and even portis were significantly more efficient after the all star break than when morris was a knick

you could see it during the season , morris and randle jockeying for top dog and it ruined any real chance for chemistry to take hold.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#40 » by NYKAL » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
Dantares wrote:

just because he was efficient doesn't mean he was good for the team

they were 14-29 in the games marcus morris played for the knicks, and its worth noting robinson , frank , rj , randle and even portis were significantly more efficient after the all star break than when morris was a knick

you could see it during the season , morris and randle jockeying for top dog and it ruined any real chance for chemistry to take hold.

I see what your doing but, it's a false narrative. Portis didn't start looking decent till the last 2weeks of the season. Not RIGHT after the trade. Equating the two is ridiculous. And he did not effect RJ's usage level AT ALL. Nor, did he act like top dog.....that was Randle. Dude just acted like a VET, inspired the young guys like frankie and did his job. These BS narrative are just BS of the highest level

To say guys excelled as a result of Morris being traded is just a big ass Lie. Hell, you indicted YOURSELF by saying Randle started playing better as a result. LMFAO @U

Return to New York Knicks