ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,461

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#1401 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:04 am

Alex Brown (@AhbAnalytics) Tweeted:
Scouting Report: Skylar Mays

-Skylar Mays (@skylarmays4) projects as an offensive linking guard that will buy in & provide spot up value and secondary P&R initiation.
https://t.co/l7odf783op
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#1402 » by Saberestar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:26 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Patrick Williams is a name that hasn't been brought up much but I think he could be on their radar at 10. The big strong athletic forward player type is important to have in the playoffs to throw at some of the leagues beer guys and at least wear them down some over the course of a series. Suns also just generally need more athletes especially if oubre isn't in the long term plans.

Williams is a bit of a project but I think his 3pt shot has a real good chance of developing and he's a high ceiling guy in general.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

IDK, he looks really raw. He is just an athlete for now. No way he can play at SF with so few skills, he reminds me (a bit) of Marquese Chriss.

I would be very surprised if Bower/James Jones take a player like him with our #10.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1403 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 am

This guy who does these draft prospect Analysis is truly the best on the internet. His analysis is incredible. You should definitely check out his page as well, For much more amazing content too. But check out this video first.

The Suns have potentially been working out Naji Marshall pre draft consideration as a mid to late value depth pick. He has very similar measurements to that of Oubre. And has elite potential defensively. He's also very talented offensively. But he's just got to refine certain aspects of his game. Could he be a consideration in the late 2md as Oubre insurance, Just in case we were to lose him in free agency? They were also working out Tyshon Alexander and Josh Hall too according to Babcock hoops. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1404 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1405 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Watching Montrez Harrell get nuked in the pick and roll for a whole series only heightened my concern about taking a guy like Obi Toppin. If you can't defend that good teams just hammer you over and over again.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,401

Post#1406 » by dremill24 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Watching Montrez Harrell get nuked in the pick and roll for a whole series only heightened my concern about taking a guy like Obi Toppin. If you can't defend that good teams just hammer you over and over again.

It’s not like you’re committing a max contract and 40mpg to him. Not that I think he’ll be there at 10, but he could be just be a 25mpg reserve who gives you energy and buckets, which is still good value. Every draft pick isn’t going to be a star and in the closing lineup.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#1407 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 pm

dremill24 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Watching Montrez Harrell get nuked in the pick and roll for a whole series only heightened my concern about taking a guy like Obi Toppin. If you can't defend that good teams just hammer you over and over again.

It’s not like you’re committing a max contract and 40mpg to him. Not that I think he’ll be there at 10, but he could be just be a 25mpg reserve who gives you energy and buckets, which is still good value. Every draft pick isn’t going to be a star and in the closing lineup.

Yeah, I think when it all comes down to it, the positives will heavily outweigh the negatives with him unless he suddenly can't shoot the 3 or something. But his offensive game should be far better than a guy like Harrell...and he's a master at the pick and roll himself.

I typically want guys with solid D, but it's also very very rare to have a 4 with the type of offensive versatility that Obi has. I also think he's a hard worker who's athletic so all this stuff people talk about with his stance and hips and nitpick might not end up being nearly the issue people are making it out to be. Not that he will be a shut down big....but he's not a guy who's been praised his whole life who has never had to work hard for it like Randle or Bagley coming in (and of course neither of those guys has close to the offensive versatility/skill set either).

Not that Bagley and Randle haven't worked, but they were always highly ranked in HS, and got recruited to big schools, and in Bagley's case, for example, they kind of redefined the defense around his deficiencies (playing zone) because he was lost. These guys always expected and knew they'd be picked high and probably just more or less expected good things to come for them (at least a lot more than someone like Toppin has had along his road).
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#1408 » by Saberestar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 am

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1409 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Not a bad value consideration for additional low cost depth. Especially when considering his overall versatile skillset.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1410 » by RunDogGun » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:28 pm

The more I watch Jalen Smith, the more I like his game. I wouldn't mind drafting him. Runs the floor, plays defense, and can shoot the three.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#1411 » by Wilber85 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:10 pm

Suns trade the pick. They saw what we did in the bubble, and do not want to develop another Rookie. They want to bring in some veteran presence.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1412 » by RunDogGun » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Wilber85 wrote:Suns trade the pick. They saw what we did in the bubble, and do not want to develop another Rookie. They want to bring in some veteran presence.

I respectfully disagree with trading the pick. We have enough vet presence, and the culture of the team is changing in the right direction. This is when you bring in young talent that fits that culture, and then you have yet another piece in place for the future. Picking a player that has multiple years of college play would be the wisest choice. We can still get vets through FA, or resign the vets we have. We already traded our pick last year to get a vet, and that vet proved to be a solid bench player. We just have to resign that vet.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1413 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1414 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:33 pm

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/09/17/nba-draft-2020-biggest-needs-western-conference-franchise/amp/

PHOENIX SUNS

Biggest needs: Power forward and point guard

Projected picks: 10

There are two ways you can look at the Suns’ experience in the bubble if you’re a fan. You can be highly impressed with the 8-0 run that saw the elevated play of star guard Devin Booker. You can also be annoyed in a way that the wins hurt Phoenix’s draft position, now picking at 10 instead of potentially top-5 or better.

The hope now is that the new winning mentality and culture combined with this pick can get them into playoff contention for next season. Outside of forward Dario Saric, they don’t have many pending free agents or clear-cut needs. Point guard Ricky Rubio might not be the starter to take them into the postseason but they aren’t letting him go after one year. If they land Tyrese Haliburton from Iowa State though, that may be a legit competition.

If the frontcourt is where they go, finding a compliment to Deandre Ayton inside is important. Has to be a big body willing to bang inside and is capable of playing either position inside. He may be a reach at 10 but Memphis big man Precious Achiuwa could be an interesting target for the Suns.

Or potentially Vernon Carey of Duke, although that would push Ayton to the four-spot and that may be an issue on defense, an area they have to improve on next season.

Definitely interesting considerations...............

However, IF we go with a big, And not a guard or wing ( Vassell/ Okoro are already off the board) at 10, As intriguing of a prospect as Achiuwa might be, I'd probably have Jalen Smith ( 1) Paul Reed ( 2) over him. And that's IF Toppin doesn't somehow fall to us at 10 anyways. Also with respect to the consideration for center depth ( as insurance against losing Baynes) I'd probably prefer to just purchase/ trade for an early 2nd and take Oturu (1) Carey ( 2) Reggie Perry ( 3) Isiah Stewart ( 4) Udoka Azubuike (5).

Lastly, I still really don't see any way that Haliburton falls to us at 10. It's been reported by Jonathan Wasserman that the consensus among many scouts/ GMs' is that Haliburton will be the 2nd guard to be taken. So IF we don't take a big or a wing, Then of our REALISTIC guard options left at 10, I'd have (personally) Lewis ( 1) Riller ( 2) Terry ( 3) And then ( in the late first/ early 2nd) Tyshon Alexander ( 4) Malachi Flynn or Payton Pritchard (5) later in a trade back scenario.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1415 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/09/17/nba-draft-2020-biggest-needs-western-conference-franchise/amp/

PHOENIX SUNS

Biggest needs: Power forward and point guardProjected picks: 10

There are two ways you can look at the Suns’ experience in the bubble if you’re a fan. You can be highly impressed with the 8-0 run that saw the elevated play of star guard Devin Booker. You can also be annoyed in a way that the wins hurt Phoenix’s draft position, now picking at 10 instead of potentially top-5 or better.

The hope now is that the new winning mentality and culture combined with this pick can get them into playoff contention for next season. Outside of forward Dario Saric, they don’t have many pending free agents or clear-cut needs. Point guard Ricky Rubio might not be the starter to take them into the postseason but they aren’t letting him go after one year. If they land Tyrese Haliburton from Iowa State though, that may be a legit competition.

If the frontcourt is where they go, finding a compliment to Deandre Ayton inside is important. Has to be a big body willing to bang inside and is capable of playing either position inside. He may be a reach at 10 but Memphis big man Precious Achiuwa could be an interesting target for the Suns.

Or potentially Vernon Carey of Duke, although that would push Ayton to the four-spot and that may be an issue on defense, an area they have to improve on next season.
I have to immediately question their article because winning in the bubble had literally 0 impact on their draft position. Also Vernon Cary seems like a ridiculous suggestion at 10.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1416 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:30 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/09/17/nba-draft-2020-biggest-needs-western-conference-franchise/amp/

PHOENIX SUNS

I have to immediately question their article because winning in the bubble had literally 0 impact on their draft position. Also Vernon Cary seems like a ridiculous suggestion at 10.

Absolutely agree man! :nod: It seems more like something just randomly thrown together just to create content.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1417 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

With what Jimmy Butler has shown us so far in the bubble playoffs, As well as the benefit of his critical defense impact on the court impacting the outcomes of games, Would it be a reasonable consideration to prioritize potentially trading up in the draft to secure one of the elite perimeter defensive prospects in either Vassell or Okoro? Or do we stand pat at 10, And hope that one of the two actually falls to us at that range.

Also, Should either of those two elite defensive wing prospects not be there at 10, How would you guys tier the best remaining defensive prospects still available in this draft? For my part, Outside of the lottery, I'd most likely tier them like this:

TIER 1 ( Lottery range)
Vassell/ Okoro/ Okungwu.

TIER 2
Jalen Smith/ Tyler Bey/ Paul Reed/ Tyreese Maxey/ Josh Green/ Tre Jones/ Tyshon Alexander/ Naji Marshall/ Ashton Hagans.

TIER 3
Patrick Williams/ Saddiq Bey/ Desmond Bane/ Jaden McDaniels/Malachi Flynn/ Trevelin Queen/ Daniel Oturu/ Nik Richards.

Any thoughts on how you guys would personally tier the best remaining defensive prospects in the draft for our needs? And any outside of the lottery that you'd prioritize most based upon their skillsets/ potential impact?
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1418 » by cberry78 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

PHOENIX SUNS

+1 and +1

I stopped reading after they said that.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1419 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Miami, Toronto, San Antonio are all teams that seem to pull really good value prospects out of the draft or GLeague that would otherwise be considered late 2nd- undrafted players. It's really important to be able to identify potential underrated, hidden prospects with potential for high impact contributions. With respect to that, I'll offer this latest prospect for our consideration.

Colbey Ross
Pepperdine

He's 6'1 180 lbs. ( 21 yrs old).
This kid seems to have a really high basketball IQ, He also seems pretty humble and down to earth.He's got a super solid, smooth all around game with seemingly high end shooting potential, produces really solid, consistent stats, and a showcases a high level of leadership and savvy for his age. He's also got a beautiful floater and averages over 7.2 assists per game, Along with 20.8 points/ 4.7 rebounds/ 1.1 steals.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/colbey-ross-1.html

And career percentages of :
43% FG/ 38% 3PT/ 84% FT/ 50% EFG/ 57%TS/ .133 WS40/ 2.7 BPM.

I think there's definitely some potential there. He'd be great as a very solid stabilizing 3rd guard ( 2 way contract) or as a G league stash player for us. And again a consideration at a minimally incurred cost.

Now I'm not saying he's got star potential. But every team can use a really solid high IQ consistent floor general type facilitator, who consistently makes good decisions for their bench unit and 3rd string option. So any thoughts on potential value of this kid for us as a two way contract depth addition?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1420 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 am

On the nba Draft board Phoniex is on the clock. It would be great to have some Suns fans add their input. Ill probably move on to San Antonio tomorrow around midnight west coast time.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)

Return to Phoenix Suns