ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by BoogieTime » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

OhioKingsFan wrote:Give me Saddiq Bey at #12! I know draft twitter guys are low on him because of a perceived "low ceiling" and mediocre explosiveness, but I'd be thrilled to get a player at #12 that is very likely to be a long-term key rotation player. I see him as a Robert Covington type player: he's a 6'8 guy that hits 3's at an elite level and he's a smart and effective defender. He's not the sort of player that will be an engine of a team's offense, but darn it, I think he's the sort of player that every team wishes they had.

Smart cuts, smart off-ball movements with an emphasis on creating open 3's, smart defense (he's pretty good about rotations, making it hard for his man, etc.). He never looks lost on offense or defense, who cares if he's not going to blow by a defender and explode to the hoop? Fox and Bagley are supposed to play those roles, and a player like Saddiq seems like a great complimentary fit.

I hear a lot of people say that they they'd pass on Saddiq because they don't see him as being anything other than a role player. Every team needs the right role players.

Sign me up for the Saddiq Bey fit over the potential of Poku or Patrick Williams... both of those guys have way too much bust potential IMO. The "ceiling" might be higher, but the "floor" is so, so bad.

You can get role players in free agency or trade, though. You can acquire other players to fill 80% of their roles. Role players often lead to treadmills, and they are difficult to contract because solid ones get paid.

But that’s just personal opinion, I think a lot of fans feel like you do
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#62 » by KF10 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:10 pm

I'm in the state of mind you have to choose BPA with the #12. I don't think Bey is BPA at #12, imo.

At #12, you want a player that has NBA-ready now skills with decent amount of room for growth in the future.

The only time you look for potential > BPA is when the BPA player is a meh prospect and you roll the dice with the potential player instead. In this draft, we may see teams go in this route.

I hope McNair has his draft data and insight ready by the time the Kings draft.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#63 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 am

The King's are on the clock in the NBA draft forum. We'd really appreciate getting some Kings fans input. Thanks in advance.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#64 » by City of Trees » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:The King's are on the clock in the NBA draft forum. We'd really appreciate getting some Kings fans input. Thanks in advance.
Get over there Kings fans. Here is your chance to focus on our Kings and provide your draft strategy with other fans.

viewtopic.php?t=2000616

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#65 » by codydaze » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Poku is leading the poll in that thread now but I don't know about him. His frame is very narrow so you have to question how much upper body strength he can put on. His jumpshot also seems to start pretty low, it's not a push shot but the ball looks to start around chest level so I think that would need to get cleaned up at the next level. Looks like a huge project, could possibly be a good player down the line since it looks like he has some natural playmaking instincts and can pass the ball but I'm not taking him at 12.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#66 » by KF10 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:52 pm

I chose Bey and Nesmith.

Poku would be a good choice if the Kings have another mid-1st.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#67 » by SmellingColors » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 pm

I chose Bey and would be okay with Nesmith, but I also think Poku is a risk I'd be willing to take based on interviews and his mindset. Is he a killer and hardworker? Or does he coast on his size and skill in a weaker league?

After missing on Doncic, I'm of the opinion that we need to take risks on potentially special players. Which is why I would look at Patrick Williams if he's there too. Especially with the success the Stockton staff has had with development of their players, we need to find someone nobody else has.

Still, at 12 that seems like a reach.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#68 » by codydaze » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm

SmellingColors wrote:I chose Bey and would be okay with Nesmith, but I also think Poku is a risk I'd be willing to take based on interviews and his mindset. Is he a killer and hardworker? Or does he coast on his size and skill in a weaker league?

After missing on Doncic, I'm of the opinion that we need to take risks on potentially special players. Which is why I would look at Patrick Williams if he's there too. Especially with the success the Stockton staff has had with development of their players, we need to find someone nobody else has.

Patrick Williams is the guy I'm hoping for the most. He's my #1 choice for us at 12.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#69 » by KF10 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter

BPA
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#70 » by SmellingColors » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 pm

codydaze wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:I chose Bey and would be okay with Nesmith, but I also think Poku is a risk I'd be willing to take based on interviews and his mindset. Is he a killer and hardworker? Or does he coast on his size and skill in a weaker league?

Patrick Williams is the guy I'm hoping for the most. He's my #1 choice for us at 12.

Me too. The Real GM draft board had him gone at 11 to the Spurs. I could see him even rising even a little further than that just based on his upside and size (though don't know who to - ATL, NYK, PHX?), but if he falls he's definitely my pick too.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#71 » by nolang1 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:38 pm

codydaze wrote:Poku is leading the poll in that thread now but I don't know about him. His frame is very narrow so you have to question how much upper body strength he can put on. His jumpshot also seems to start pretty low, it's not a push shot but the ball looks to start around chest level so I think that would need to get cleaned up at the next level. Looks like a huge project, could possibly be a good player down the line since it looks like he has some natural playmaking instincts and can pass the ball but I'm not taking him at 12.

I'd be totally fine with Pokusevski at 12. I think if we were to look back on quite a lot of NBA players at age 17 (which is how old he was in most of the footage of him) we'd do a double-take at how much skinnier they were back then. He really doesn't need to gain that much weight when you consider how well he blocks shots and rebounds already; like sure NBA players are stronger on average but that's not as big as the difference between a 17-year-old and a 25-year-old Pokusevski.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#72 » by codydaze » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:03 pm

nolang1 wrote:
codydaze wrote:Poku is leading the poll in that thread now but I don't know about him. His frame is very narrow so you have to question how much upper body strength he can put on. His jumpshot also seems to start pretty low, it's not a push shot but the ball looks to start around chest level so I think that would need to get cleaned up at the next level. Looks like a huge project, could possibly be a good player down the line since it looks like he has some natural playmaking instincts and can pass the ball but I'm not taking him at 12.

I'd be totally fine with Pokusevski at 12. I think if we were to look back on quite a lot of NBA players at age 17 (which is how old he was in most of the footage of him) we'd do a double-take at how much skinnier they were back then. He really doesn't need to gain that much weight when you consider how well he blocks shots and rebounds already; like sure NBA players are stronger on average but that's not as big as the difference between a 17-year-old and a 25-year-old Pokusevski.

I don't know, I just don't personally see it with him. I would take a flyer on him late in the first round, for sure in the early second but I wouldn't take him in the lottery.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#73 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:21 pm

IMO he’s going to be a mid first round pick or higher because he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft IMO. CBS recent mock has us taking him at 12. Not only is his floor game (handling/vision) freakish for his height/age, but he’s shown defensive disruption in Europe with his length/instincts. He’s just an usual specimen

I understand those who want a higher floor though at 12, certainly. Id give Poku among others some thought as I’ve become more “process” oriented where I look at potential more than others as the league revolves around top tier talent. But I also like a few other players in our vicinity that have a higher floor than Poku and also have appreciable upside, who I might choose over Poku
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#74 » by BoogieTime » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/10/28/kira-lewis-on-knicks-radar-as-2020-nba-draft-approaches/

In the spring, ESPN’s draft guru Fran Fraschilla thought Lewis was a perfect Knicks fit if they traded up from No. 27 — their other first-rounder — to around No. 20. But that’s probably not going to get Lewis anymore.

In mock drafts, Lewis is pegged in the 12-17 range — probably because of his defensive shortcomings. According to a source, the Kings, at No. 12, are very interested.

I normally wouldnt trust Marc Berman with this, but the Knicks have a great deal of interest in Kira from their predraft interactions, and he may be privy as to why the Knicks should feel compelled to draft him at 8

As I said earlier, IMO Kira is a solid prospect and if hes BPA to McNair Id hope Fox/him could play together or one of them is moved. He offers upside and all around play, though I have slight motor reservations to be honest

Its probably not fair, but the current makeup of our team, with Barnes/Buddy/Bogdan, has made me a little more reticent on back half of the lottery 'solid' wing talents that I see mentioned in particular with the Kings (given impact/salary etc), although I havent really scouted this class/those prospects extensively like I have other drafts (not speaking of Maxey, or say Josh Green, who might be a target if we get Philly's pick in a Hield trade, but a couple of the prospects I constantly see linked to us)
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#75 » by BoogieTime » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:35 am

Also, isnt it a bit of a zero sum notion to replace Hield's game with Nesmith's?

Hield, as evidenced by the discussions in the T/T board, isn't of high value post benching/cap lowering. Hes a distressed asset

Hield is a talented player with a good work ethic. Hield also has game that can age, hes only 27 and doesnt rely on athleticism

Meaning Hield can play quality ball possibly to Nesmith becoming a UFA

From what little I know of Nesmith, is he a tweener defensively without strong athleticism at 2 or length at 3? Are Buddy and Nesmith playing together?

Yes, I know Nesmith can be a better defender/higher IQ/ even as he IMO doesnt project to being a plus defender. But its also generous to pencil him to equivalate 20/5/3 on excellent splits on O

I can see moving Buddy to go in another direction at SG/SF, but not really the point of going the same general direction.

are folks imagining them playing together?

(Im going by that draft forum thread that has Nesmith slotted here)
KJStark23
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#76 » by KJStark23 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:42 pm

dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#77 » by dozencousins » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:28 pm

Kings are talking Draft trades right now with 3 possible teams to move up as we speak

# 1 With the Wolves were we get the #1 pick , J.Johnson expiring $16,047,100 & Wolves would get Buddy

#2 with the Hawks were the Kings move up to the 6 pick + either Kevin Huerter or Cam Reddish & Hawks get Buddy . They have plenty of cap space to absorb the difference and this kind of a trade is allowed .

# 3 Most doubtful of the 3 based on part is with the Bulls for the # 4 pick & O.Porter expiring & Bulls get Buddy

Everyone has likely read about Bogi & The Bucks that could happen but it is really unlikely . If Bogi was traded which I doubt look for him & Barnes to be dealt to Boston for Hayward + either Kanter or Langford + multiple picks . I do not think 3 or 4 will happen and it is possible none will has many deals & talks fall through .

Of any though Kings & Wolves is most likely of the 4 and the Hawks is 2nd most likely .

Kings most likely traded

Either Buddy or Bogi ( most likely Buddy )
Barnes
Joseph
Bjelica
Parker ( would be a throw in possibly in a deal )

It sucks to say this but we will likely be a lottery team again after next season . We will make a splash or 2 . If there is a promising sign if we all pay attention closely to the moves we make and the salary cap space we will create . There will be a lot of promise for our future IMO season after next !
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#78 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Nov 9, 2020 4:58 pm

I don’t see that trade for number 1 overall happening without including a LOT more value (ie - Marvin since I feel that Fox is our only “untouchable”) than just Buddy and taking on some more dead money from the Wolves to make it happen.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#79 » by City of Trees » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:53 pm

dozencousins wrote:Kings are talking Draft trades right now with 3 possible teams to move up as we speak

# 1 With the Wolves were we get the #1 pick , J.Johnson expiring $16,047,100 & Wolves would get Buddy

#2 with the Hawks were the Kings move up to the 6 pick + either Kevin Huerter or Cam Reddish & Hawks get Buddy . They have plenty of cap space to absorb the difference and this kind of a trade is allowed .

# 3 Most doubtful of the 3 based on part is with the Bulls for the # 4 pick & O.Porter expiring & Bulls get Buddy

Everyone has likely read about Bogi & The Bucks that could happen but it is really unlikely . If Bogi was traded which I doubt look for him & Barnes to be dealt to Boston for Hayward + either Kanter or Langford + multiple picks . I do not think 3 or 4 will happen and it is possible none will has many deals & talks fall through .

Of any though Kings & Wolves is most likely of the 4 and the Hawks is 2nd most likely .

Kings most likely traded

Either Buddy or Bogi ( most likely Buddy )
Barnes
Joseph
Bjelica
Parker ( would be a throw in possibly in a deal )

It sucks to say this but we will likely be a lottery team again after next season . We will make a splash or 2 . If there is a promising sign if we all pay attention closely to the moves we make and the salary cap space we will create . There will be a lot of promise for our future IMO season after next !
All three of these trades are heavily slanted in the Kings favor.

I would imagine if the Kings were talking about those picks it would cost #12 plus additional future draft capital.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#80 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Yeah that’s pretty much my take on it too.

I have to say that unless we are working on a trade for an impact player, I would be very nervous at this juncture including much more than maybe one future pick. With COVID, cap has declined and may yet continue to do so or be smoothed (new agreement for 3-10% for the life of the CBA) to stay level.

That means that like the NFL, astute drafting becomes even more important to a small market franchise that has historically had trouble attracting top free agents.

Honestly this years draft doesn’t not show me a can’t miss #1 prospect that would make it worth the cost of trading into that spot.

The Buddy and #12 for Huerter and #6 deal that is rumored is a LOT more attractive to me as something where you may actually improve on Buddy by getting a kid who can score and plays better team ball/D and move up six spots for some better options in the draft.

Otherwise I would look for a deal where we are improving on the floor NOW and trading down for a cheaper shot at a possibility player.

Return to Sacramento Kings