Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,270

Re: 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#281 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:29 am

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:Kuminga reclassified and is in the G league program next year. There’s got to be at least 5 players from this class who would be #1 in 2020.

Green
Kuminga
Cade
Mobley

at least for sure

Probably Boston and Barnes, too.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#282 » by No-Man » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:48 am

nolang1 wrote:Kuminga reclassified and is in the G league program next year. There’s got to be at least 5 players from this class who would be #1 in 2020.

I'd only have Cade clearly 1, to be honest I think I take LaMelo over everyone else

2021 has real nice depth but the top after Cade is kinda meh really
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#283 » by dukeknicksirish » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:35 pm

As somebody who has been able to watch the USA camps and talked with these players about who they really enjoy playing with,

The agreement is that Mobley's first bounce at the rim and his second bounce are nearly identical. This is largely due to the massive wingspan that this kid has. His outside shot looked strong at the camp and his handles are not showcased, but they are there.

Barnes was described as "a guy that just is bigger than other people and bullies smaller guards" . Wasn't a ton of outside shooting/creating for himself, just a kid that knows how to utilize his size vs smaller opponents. Now, when you're in the league, you usually are not the biggest guy on the floor at 19/20 years old so should be interesting.

A under the radar player that really stood out to me was 2021 Caleb Furst, a Purdue commit. The kid is not a 1&done , but following like Biggie Swanigan of Purdue, this kid will be an excellent pro in 2 years at Purdue. Is young for his age group, has great instinct, outside touch and knows where to be on the court. 6'10 and 230 and the kid TALKS on defense. A lot of people loved playing with him.

Green was considered "streaky" , but i only saw 1 game where his outside shot wasn't falling. His athleticism and his first move off of a jab step was a pleasure to watch. This kid will be an excellent pro. I would say more of an All-Star than a Franchise changer, but still, whoever gets this kid gets to watch showtime for years.
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#284 » by nolang1 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:14 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Green
Kuminga
Cade
Mobley

at least for sure

I don’t know about Boston, but I’d say Barnes for sure to get to 5, plus there’s always going to be at least one random breakout guy. Someone like Josh Christopher seems to be in that Tyrese Maxey mold where he seems underrated since he’s more of a combo guard than a shooting guard.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#285 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:59 pm

i'd probably take Garuba over anyone in this class, too
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#286 » by Justwar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:05 am

nolang1 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Green
Kuminga
Cade
Mobley

at least for sure

I don’t know about Boston, but I’d say Barnes for sure to get to 5, plus there’s always going to be at least one random breakout guy. Someone like Josh Christopher seems to be in that Tyrese Maxey mold where he seems underrated since he’s more of a combo guard than a shooting guard.

Christopher has some serious growing up to do
clyde21
RealGM

Post#287 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:53 pm

updated list of notable players returning

Spoiler:
Carlos Alocen
Derrick Alston
Ochai Agbaji
Bryan Antoine
Joel Ayayi
Joey Baker
Oumar Ballo
Charles Bassey
James Bouknight
Christian Braun
Keion Brooks Jr.
Jared Butler
DJ Carton
Malcolm Cazalon
Jalen Crutcher
Derek Culver
N'Faly Dante
Ayo Dosunmu
Boogie Ellis
Luka Garza
Quentin Grimes
Aaron Henry
Jay Huff
Mattew Hurt
Trayce Jackson-Davis
Jaime Jacquez Jr.
DJ Jeffries
Isaiah Joe
Keyontae Johnson
Corey Kispert
Scottie Lewis
Isaiah Livers
Sandro Mamukelashvili
Tre Mann
Miles McBride
Matt Mitchell
Isaiah Mobley
Wendell Moore Jr.
Landers Nolley
Jalen Pickett
Neemias Queta
Lester Quinones
Will Richardson
Orlando Robinson
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
Terrence Shannon Jr.
Chris Smith
Amar Sylla
Drew Timme
Oscar Tshiebwe
Franz Wagner
CJ Walker
Anton Watson
Joe Wieskamp
Aaron Wiggins
Samuell Williamson
Arturs Zagars
Pavel Zakharov
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#288 » by getrichordie » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:43 am

Add Matt Mitchell to that list.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#289 » by clyde21 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:58 pm

Butler and Mitchell, Kispert and Chris Smith added

this might be my most favorite returning class of players since I've been following the draft
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,591

Post#290 » by UcanUwill » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Just finished watching Zalgiris-Panathinaikos friendly. Very impressed with Rokas Jokubaitis, hes due for a breakout season, wouldnt be shocked if he plays into mid first round or lottery. If I will find footage, I might cut a short highlight real, tomorrow they play against Stronger Milan EA7 team.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,160

Post#291 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:51 am

He's the longest of long shots after missing 1.8 years, but it would be such a great redemption story to see Joshua Langford prove himself still a 3 & D NBA prospect. Just a couple years ago he was a fixture in mock drafts. He's a leader and a hard worker. Probably not many teams interested in a 24-year old with health questions, but I'd love to see him prove people wrong.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#292 » by big-shot-ROB » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 pm

At which point are big names like Bassey, Grimes, Agbaji, etc..? no longer interesting returning players?
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#293 » by Sea2003 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm

After watching the top 15-ish players in this class I've finally come up with my power rankings. Now, unlike most of you guys, I'm not basing these rankings on their play during HSnecessarily but on potential. While a guy like Mobley might have played better then a like Johnson, I'm more willing to believe a guy like Johnson's skills will translate much better. Now, without further ado here it is:

Cade Cunningham
- I usually don't tend to make assumptions about how good a player can be in HS, but Cade is different. Cade's a 6'7 point forward/guard with a unique combination of passing, handling, and touch. Despite being 17 years old, Cade has shown himself to be an elite passer as well as general in the PNR. Also, he's shown the ability to be an elite off-ball defender as well as on-ball. However, will that being said, the one thing that concerns me about cade is his aggressiveness, particularly when he's scoring the ball. does he have the determination to drop 40? Can he generate a bucket at ease? I see Cade a high ceiling high floor type of player. Worst case scenario, he averages 21/7/6 while being an inconsistent shooting.

Jonathan Kuminga
- Kuminga's a 6'6-6'8 slashing forward who can score the ball in a multitude of ways. He can take the ball to the rim or pull of a mid-range. One area I think he's very underrated in is his passing. Kuminga has displayed the ability to be a good passer especially when he's on the fast break or driving to the paint. He's gotten away with his size considering that he's bigger than most kids his age. He relies a lot on the bully ball when he's been in the paint causing him to take a lot of bad shots. He also tends to take a lot of bad shots. It'll be interesting to see how that part of his game develops. All in all, Kuminga's a high upside player with the potential to be a 2-way monster at the next level.

Jalen Green
- I've been tempted to give Green the #1 spot for a while now partly because of his combination of transition scoring and shooting which makes him a nightmare to deal with. Green excels in the transition where he usually runs full steam ahead to the basket. What's interesting is that both Edwards and Green have a lot of similarities. He's not a very good shooter beyond the arc and seems to take a lot of bad shots. Both he and Edwards seem to have a lot of similarities mainly being their lack of vision when they're in the paint( although Green did improve a lot from last year). Green's prone to having lapses defensively where he usually stops trying. However, that's probably due to the fact that he has to carry his team on offense a lot. I don't think he'll ever a great on that side of the ball, unfortunately. With that being said though, Green's a very talented prospect with the potential to be the best in his class.

Zaire Williams
-One of my favorite players this year, Zaire's a 6'8 forward with high IQ who shines at making plays. He's shown the ability to knock down jumpers as well as create for his teammates. One thing that I really really like about Zaire is that he never stops moving. He's always moving by curling off-ball screens and cutting backdoor to the basket. Unlike most 5 star prospects, Zaire is very unselfish and is always looking to make the better play. He's also a very good defender with good lateral quickness giving him the potential to be a shutdown defender in the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if Zaire went top 3 next year.

Jalen Johnson
- Probably the most intriguing prospect this year, Jalen Johnson has one of the biggest upsides in this draft. Johnson seems like a lesser version of Ben Simmons. Jalen's a 6'8 point forward with tremendous playmaking abilities as well as elite rebounding. He excels best in the transition as well as in the open court. What I like about him is that he doesn't try to force the issue by taking a lot of three's or contested shots.Now, I'm basing this ranking on the hope that he's going to improve he's shooting( say 33% from 3) and that he continues flashing his playmaking abilities. However, though, Jalen will need to improve his motor as he seems to take a lot of plays off on the defensive side of the ball.
Usman Garuba
- In a draft oozing with talent and potential, Garuba's ceiling seems to be set. You know what he is and what he isn't. As a PF/C, Garuba shines most on the defensive side of the ball where he's a ferocious rebounder as well as blocking shots. One thing to note about Garuba is that he doesn't look to score very often based on what I've been seeing. Ideally, Garuba can be a C in the modern NBA similar to Wendell Carter.

BJ Boston
- Some of you may be surprised at Boston's low ranking. Now, with Boston there's a lot of variables i don't know. This ranking is based on the fact. Besides his shooting, a lot of his game is centered around getting to the hoop. Will he be able to get to the paint with ease like he did in HS? Will his frame hinder some parts of his game? These are all things I'm not sure of. However, though, It wouldn't surprise me if Boston balls out and goes top 5.

Scottie Barnes
-Barnes is a versatile forward that can play the point. He's like Draymond green but with better handles. He's able to run the point mostly in transition making him a very lethal player. On the defensive side of the ball, he's great at block shots and challenging them. If Barnes can develop a shot he can become.

Evan Mobley
- If I was assessing Mobley on his HS play alone, he could warrant a top 3 ranking. However, I'm going to need to see Mobley play in college before I make any type of assumption on him. He won't be able to bully guys in the paint as he did in HS. He's struggled to score in traffic quite a bit causing me to believe he won't very good in that area in college. He also doesn't call for the ball enough. One thing I like about Mobley is that he's very mobile for his height. I think for Mobley to be considered a top 3 pick, he'll have to change his playstyle to someone like a Siakam or Giannis because of his thin body. However, though, Mobley is still talented enough to be a lottery pick next year.

Guys i need to see more of before making a conclusion: Nix, Clarke. Suggs, Springer, Keon, Love, Christopher,etc.

This class may be the deepest and talented class I've seen in a while. Most of these guys( Clarke, Sugges, Zaire) Would go top 7 in any normal draft. It’s a class that features a lot of high-end positions. This draft is shaping up to be one of the best ones in years
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#294 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:52 pm

Just watched my first Jalen Green highlights. He has some tremendous athleticism and a nice looking shot even if its not tuned quite right yet. But his general douchiness really stood out as well. He seems like a hot rod who really needs to mature. A year in a college with a good coach could help this IMO but he is going straight to G-League. He is a kid, I get that. And I think he is the best talent in 2021, but his flair comes off poorly to me.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#295 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:03 am

are we getting a college basketball season this year?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#296 » by Almond2Oak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 am

Marcus wrote:are we getting a college basketball season this year?

Yes... 11/25 start date... will be bubbles everywhere. Exciting times
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#297 » by EMG518 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:32 am

Almond2Oak wrote:

Do we really expect college kids to stay in a bubble and not see anyone.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#298 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:01 am

Almond2Oak wrote:

All conference play?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#299 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:02 am

EMG518 wrote:
Almond2Oak wrote:

What kind of assessment do we get in that kind of environment?
Watch More Basketball

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#300 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:11 am

Marcus wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
Almond2Oak wrote:

What kind of assessment do we get in that kind of environment?

I really can't even tell.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to NBA Draft