ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1241 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 8, 2020 2:39 am

payitforward wrote:Prime -- Absolutely! & thank you for not picking a fight! :)

There are no conclusions, zero, to arrive at about Rui. He has looked good sometimes; he has looked lost sometimes. He may turn out to be a great player, a stud. He may turn out to be a solid journeyman. Or somewhere else on the bell curve. The better he is the happier I will be.

In the meantime, he is -- obviously! -- a great kid & a hard worker. Both those qualities I think we can state as conclusions. Along with the fact that, as you say, he "has potential."

He's also come into the league & shown that he can play at this level -- i.e. he's not going to be a bust! Along with the good qualities I just mentioned, I'd say that is the first thing you want a guy to show.

To put it another way, when you or anyone describes something I say about Rui as "criticism" of the kid, I get upset. I'm a Father & a Grandfather. I'm unlikely to "criticize" a terrific kid like Rui.

I do think he’s a terrific kid and a hard worker.

Tobias Harris, TJ Warren, and a cross between Butler and Jamison is how I view Hachimura. He will be a scorer but he will not be a plus plus player.
Bye bye Beal.
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#1242 » by ruffian253 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:25 pm

Being a zags fan, i like both rui and clarke, but you got to put into perspective the expectations and what is being asked between the two. BC has little to no expectations on that Memphis roster and he is free to float around and be the human pogo stick that he is, with little responsibilities to go and get his own basket, which is why he has a FG% due to all his points coming off putbacks and lobs. Cant really tell who his comparison is, possibly a smaller Dwight Howard. Whereas Rui is being groomed or has expectations to be a go-get-a-basket guy.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#1243 » by Shoe » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:35 pm

Rui is getting better and better and it's making some people very nervous. Ingram his matchup going 4/15. Pelicans having to put their best defender on him and he still goes 10/16 for 23.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#1244 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 8, 2020 4:40 pm

Pointed out by Glenn Consor, Rui's most points in a game since December 5th.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1245 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 8, 2020 4:43 pm

ruffian253 wrote:Being a zags fan, i like both rui and clarke, but you got to put into perspective the expectations and what is being asked between the two. BC has little to no expectations on that Memphis roster and he is free to float around and be the human pogo stick that he is, with little responsibilities to go and get his own basket, which is why he has a FG% due to all his points coming off putbacks and lobs. Cant really tell who his comparison is, possibly a smaller Dwight Howard. Whereas Rui is being groomed or has expectations to be a go-get-a-basket guy.

That being said, there is a need for reliable players who play well without the ball. But yeah, I wonder how well Rui would do in Clarke's role in Memphis and vice versa.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1246 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 8, 2020 5:01 pm

ruffian253 wrote:Being a zags fan, i like both rui and clarke, but you got to put into perspective the expectations and what is being asked between the two. BC has little to no expectations on that Memphis roster and he is free to float around and be the human pogo stick that he is, with little responsibilities to go and get his own basket, which is why he has a FG% due to all his points coming off putbacks and lobs. Cant really tell who his comparison is, possibly a smaller Dwight Howard. Whereas Rui is being groomed or has expectations to be a go-get-a-basket guy.

This is the usual stuff.... Expected by now I suppose. Some of those putbacks are really long, btw -- 37% on 3-pointers. :)

But, Brandon Clarke is irrelevant to Rui Hachimura. Whatever Clarke does/doesn't do, Rui will be assessed on what he does on the court.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1247 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 8, 2020 5:06 pm

Shoe wrote:Rui is getting better and better and it's making some people very nervous. Ingram his matchup going 4/15. Pelicans having to put their best defender on him and he still goes 10/16 for 23.

Great shooting night from Rui -- great to see it. 23 points on only 16 shots & 2 FTAs.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1248 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 8, 2020 5:10 pm

Shoe wrote:Rui is getting better and better...

Great to see him move & shoot so well last night.

But, I'm sure you mean more than that -- can you explain in a little more detail what you mean by "getting better and better?"

Shoe wrote:...and it's making some people very nervous. ...

Who? & why would it make people "nervous" for Rui to play well?
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1249 » by JWizmentality » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:46 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Philly comments: 8 points on 2-11 shooting. Great.

MY COMMENT: Rui's not that good and the Wizards never draft all that well.

I haven't watched any basketball

My conclusion: Rui sucks.

I think he’s a scorer off the bench and an otherwise, “Meh”, player.

Thought so when he was drafted.

Pif is right. Clarke is much better.

Not expecting respect or even agreement. You think Rui’s a game changer?

No clue. Too early to tell.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1250 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:02 am

It's natural to want to compare Rui & Clarke, because they were on the same college team. But it's not particularly relevant to a discussion of Rui.

No one says, "DeAndre Hunter was absolutely horrible as a rookie; Atlanta should have drafted Brandon Clarke." Rinse & repeat for R.J. Barrett, Darius Garland, Jarrett Culver, Coby White, Cam Reddish, PJ Washington, Tyler Herro, Romeo Langford, Sekou Doumboya, Chuma Okeke, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Gogo Bitadze & Luka Samanic. Not that any of the 5 guys I left out in the top 20 picks (Zion, Morant, Hayes, Johnson & Thybulle) played overall as well as Clarke. No one says "see -- shoulda picked Clarke."

So, why would it be more relevant to do that in the case of Rui? Like the rest of those guys, Rui will show how good/bad he is. Every player does.

In the long run, Rui may be better than a number of players chosen before him. In fact, it's almost certain -- it'd be weird if he weren't. Similarly, he may not be as good as a number of players chosen after him -- & this too is almost certain. Pick any draft, & the guy taken 9th is almost always better than someone taken before him, & someone taken after him is almost always better than he is. Think about -- those two facts are actually identical!

In fact, going back quickly over the last 20 drafts, I can only find 3 drafts where both of those facts weren't evident & obvious.

Discussing draft strategy is completely different from discussing how good player A or B is. Last year it would have been strategically smart to trade down: that was true independent of Rui Hachimura. Got nothing to do with Rui Hachimura!

Of course, we don't know if it would have been possible to trade down! But, had we made the trade I was hoping for (our #9 to Boston for their #s 20 & 22), as it turned out we would have gotten Brandon Clarke & very likely also have gotten yet another pick (as Boston did through their maneuvers.

That too is about draft strategy & has nothing to do with Rui -- or with his ex-college-teammate Brandon Clarke.

Is this obvious enough & definitive enough that we can stop putting these 2 guys together in comparisons?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#1251 » by Frichuela » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm

I have seen no mention of the selection of Rui in the all-rookie 2nd team. Congrats Rui!

The last Wiz player in the 1st or 2nd team was Beal in the 2012-13 season...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1252 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Yes -- nice for Rui! & for us too.....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1253 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:41 am

Frichuela wrote:I have seen no mention of the selection of Rui in the all-rookie 2nd team. Congrats Rui!

The last Wiz player in the 1st or 2nd team was Beal in the 2012-13 season...

Reminds me of the time Larry Stewart was all rookie 2nd team for the Bullets.

:)
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1254 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Jarvis Hayes and Courtney Alexander say - "It was making that All Rookie 2nd team that led me to greatness." :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1255 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 pm

In all, the selections for both squads make very little sense. Here we can see all the guys who got votes: https://www.nba.com/article/2020/09/15/nba-2019-20-all-rookie-first-team-official-release

Just for starters,

Michael Porter had a better rookie year by far than anyone not named Branden Clarke. Yet, he's not on either team.
Cameron Johnson was the best rookie 3 by far -- he's not on either team!
Jaxson Hayes had a terrific rookie season -- arguably better than, certainly as good as, his teammate Zion Williamson: where is he?
Matisse Thybulle was better than Coby White -- way better than Kendrick Nunn too, for that matter.

Not exactly a big deal any of it....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1256 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

This biz about the all-rookie teams makes me realize that, with Rui Hachimura's rookie season in the books, no one here has chimed in with an overall assessment of Rui's first year in the league.

Did you think his numbers were good? For a rookie? For an NBA 4 overall?

Any especially positive aspects of his play anyone wants to point out? Negative ones?

What does Rui have to better next season to demonstrate that he's a strong candidate to be a good NBA player? Do better in what sense?

What else does anyone want to point out about Rui Hachimura after his rookie season?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#1257 » by doclinkin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:07 pm

payitforward wrote:...with Rui Hachimura's rookie season in the books, no one here has chimed in with an overall assessment of Rui's first year in the league.
Any especially positive aspects of his play anyone wants to point out? Negative ones?

What does Rui have to better next season to demonstrate that he's a strong candidate to be a good NBA player? Do better in what sense?

What else does anyone want to point out about Rui Hachimura after his rookie season?

As with the rest of the team Rui played better once IT was shipped to the Clippers to be replaced by Shabazz. If you check the numbers, the fact that he played the vast majority of his minutes next to IT (link) meant that his development was going to be stunted. If you look at the % numbers of his successful shots, the majority of his makes were assisted. All of his 3pt makes were off assists. Most (60%) of his dunks were. It makes absolute sense that he played best in line-ups next to Shabazz and Bonga. For 2 reasons: they both pass, and these were usually line-ups against 2nd line players. He played his best in the 2nd quarter, when teams traditionally give their starters a rest. So yes, as a rookie he was thrown in against starters and -- played like a rookie not a starter.

As for play style, interestingly aside from dunks, he shot better the further he got from the basket. His game in international play has been as a face-up player, emulating Carmelo Anthony. This shows up in the sorts of shots he feels most comfortable taking -- Melo too was known for the bad habit of long 2's. That said: with dunks mixed in, Rui hit %50 of his 2pt shots. You'll take %50 from two. Not bad, his percentages were dragged down by the team's emphasis on gunning threes no matter what. With reps I susppose they figured you will find the range. In the case of Rui this may be true: it's a cliche at this point, but scouts suggest a high FT% is a better indicator of NBA 3fg ability. That makes sense to me, the only way to improve on FT% shooting is by practice and form and mindset. Those who put in the work will improve on these skills. This is a hopeful for Rui who hit over 80% from the free throw line.

SO! What this indicates to me are a few things.

1. For now Rui is a pass-dependent player. His decision-making will be aided by playing next to players who can hit him when he is open, instead of him trying to do too much and force a bucket on his own. Before he can make his own bucket he will need to develop an inside game, footwork to free himself in traffic, and develop moves that will let him use his natural strength to bump and force the action. He has good hands, his turnover numbers are low, if he can learn to crash the lanes, run backdoor, catch and finish on the lob or alley oop, he will see an uptick in fouls against him and that 80+% at the FT line will become a weapon, and that high% at the rim will be emphasized. Until then, we should not rely on the young fella to make his own offense.

2. Three pointers should be a focus of his skills training. The team forces threes in this system so he will continue to get them. BUT if he can hit 42% from 16-22 feet (as he does) then he can hit 36% from 23 ft 6".

3. He needs weight room work and a Big Man coach. He has nimble feet and good body control, and he seems to be a physical mimic. I wish we had a Tim Duncan on our bench, or Hakeem. Or even a Ewing drop step or a Kareem skyhook. He needs a mentor on the interior. Yes he needs help in rebounding angles and boxing out and some basics that his late start in Basketball has stunted his growth. If he had a Millsapp or Horford or MGasol or as a player coach, I'd be satisfied that he had the chance of proper training.

4. He's not as bad as his numbers suggest. Nobody looks good playing next to the former Hero IT. Thomas Bryant had been building decent career numbers, and he also swirled around the toilet bowl playing next to IT.

Ultimately many of the things that interfered with Hachimura's success are fixable problems. In his own skills training and in roster construction. Yes you'd like it if he stepped into the league and seamlessly fit the structure and knew what he was doing. But still, it is a hopeful sign that his numbers improved over the year, even if some part of that improvement to do with amputation and cauterization of one Isaiah Thomas from the line-up. If minus IT plus Shabazz = better Rui, well, what happens if we sub a rejuvenated Wallstar at starter. Even better?
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#1258 » by DCZards » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 am

Negative: I was disappointed in Rui’s midrange shooting, especially during the games in the bubble. I saw that as one of his strengths coming into the league and it was pretty decent early on the season. But it seemed to fall off.

Positive: I thought Rui was much more physical and aggressive after returning from the injury. He may have had his best defensive game against the Greek Freak in late February. Rui really seemed to relish the challenge of defending Giannis. He frustrated the Greek Freak a little, which helped lead to Giannis forcing things and fouling out of the game. Cap One crowd really got behind Rui and his defensive effort on that occasion.

Rebounding and shooting 3s are among the areas that need improvement. I do think Rui got better at taking opponents off the dribble as the season wore one. That was actually something he showed real improvement in during the bubble games.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1259 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:36 pm

payitforward wrote:In all, the selections for both squads make very little sense. Here we can see all the guys who got votes: https://www.nba.com/article/2020/09/15/nba-2019-20-all-rookie-first-team-official-release

Just for starters,

Michael Porter had a better rookie year by far than anyone not named Branden Clarke. Yet, he's not on either team.
Cameron Johnson was the best rookie 3 by far -- he's not on either team!
Jaxson Hayes had a terrific rookie season -- arguably better than, certainly as good as, his teammate Zion Williamson: where is he?
Matisse Thybulle was better than Coby White -- way better than Kendrick Nunn too, for that matter.

Not exactly a big deal any of it....

The votes for rookie of the year were calculated pre-bubble. Because of that, Porter will be considered for the 2020-21 rookie of the year by the media.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1260 » by nate33 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:30 pm

DCZards wrote:Negative: I was disappointed in Rui’s midrange shooting, especially during the games in the bubble. I saw that as one of his strengths coming into the league and it was pretty decent early on the season. But it seemed to fall off.

Positive: I thought Rui was much more physical and aggressive after returning from the injury. He may have had his best defensive game against the Greek Freak in late February. Rui really seemed to relish the challenge of defending Giannis. He frustrated the Greek Freak a little, which helped lead to Giannis forcing things and fouling out of the game. Cap One crowd really got behind Rui and his defensive effort on that occasion.

Rebounding and shooting 3s are among the areas that need improvement. I do think Rui got better at taking opponents off the dribble as the season wore one. That was actually something he showed real improvement in during the bubble games.

Great point about his D against Giannis.

I really think Rui will be a better defensive player than offensive player when it is all said and done. He has the tools and a willingness to be physical. And if he is as smart as the coaching staff claims, then he will learn to develop a defensive edge in the film room.

Return to Washington Wizards