Fake Trade Thread 2

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Re: Fake Trade Thread 2 

Post#1861 » by LofJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
LofJ wrote:If we're going to trade for an old, overpaid veteran give me Chris Paul 10 times out of 10 over Westbrook. He proved this year that he still has it. Not many players can elevate other guys like he can. Only a few players in the last several decades can match his basketball IQ. If he had been blessed with the body of Westbrook he would have been one of the games all-time greats.

Paul is a top 5 PG of all time in my opinion. Hes been underrated the last few years due to a meh attitude, but the dudes a killer on the court.

He and Jimmy Butler are the two players in the NBA that are most deserving of a championship. I'd kill to get a young player that can match their will and determination in a Hornets uniform.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1862 » by 316Hornets » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm

LofJ wrote:If we're going to trade for an old, overpaid veteran give me Chris Paul 10 times out of 10 over Westbrook. He proved this year that he still has it. Not many players can elevate other guys like he can. Only a few players in the last several decades can match his basketball IQ. If he had been blessed with the body of Westbrook he would have been one of the games all-time greats.

Westbrook isn't old though. Only 1 year older than Kemba. He also is a solid defender that can manage the game while keeping others involved. His shooting can be terrible at times, but he is a workhorse type PG that could help develop our young guys.

Is Westbrook going to turn us into a top playoff team? No. He will ease the pain of the rebuild.

I could understand taking on a total worthless contract like Horford but I just don't think teams are going to give up much in the way of assets with the questions about future salary cap.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1863 » by SWedd523 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Paul is a top 5 PG of all time in my opinion. Hes been underrated the last few years due to a meh attitude, but the dudes a killer on the court.

Chris Paul is absolutely a top 5 PG of all-time.

Magic/Oscar/Stockton/Paul for sure. Only question is if Steph has supplanted Isiah yet
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1864 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:22 am

Still very anti-Westbrook after having more time to think about it.

Would be OK with the Terry for Al Horford & the 76ers pick straight up. I could see Charlotte doing that and then shopping Horford as well.

The Pells strike me as a good trade partner too. I could see Terry for Lonzo and a second round pick or two.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,245

Post#1865 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Still very anti-Westbrook after having more time to think about it.

Would be OK with the Terry for Al Horford & the 76ers pick straight up. I could see Charlotte doing that and then shopping Horford as well.

The Pells strike me as a good trade partner too. I could see Terry for Lonzo and a second round pick or two.

If the pick is in 2021 I'd bite if done at the trade deadline so we don't hurt the tank.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1866 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:59 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Still very anti-Westbrook after having more time to think about it.

I'm a big Lonzo fan and think hes going to come into his own next year. Id definitely do that trade.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#1867 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:06 am

Don't you think other teams are wary of trading for Rozier? I'm not sure if there's a good reason for the Pels to trade away Ball for Rozier...

I mean I could see the Sixers wanting to move Horford, but that's about it as far as reasoning goes.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1868 » by BigSlam » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:45 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Don't you think other teams are wary of trading for Rozier? I'm not sure if there's a good reason for the Pels to trade away Ball for Rozier...

I mean I could see the Sixers wanting to move Horford, but that's about it as far as reasoning goes.

Why would other teams be wary of trading for Rozier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
spankymoore7
Rookie
And1: 324

Post#1869 » by spankymoore7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Reports are out that Myles Turner might be available. He would fill a big whole at center, he is only 24, and is locked up for the next three seasons. Do you think Charlotte should make an offer and if so what would you be willing to give up?
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1870 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:25 pm

Over on the T&T board there was a suggestion that Charlotte could trade #3 & *something* to the Kings for Hield and #12. Thoughts
My picks:
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,528

Post#1871 » by HornetJail » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:56 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Over on the T&T board there was a suggestion that Charlotte could trade #3 & *something* to the Kings for Hield and #12. Thoughts

lol
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1872 » by Rays Pompadour » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:30 am

I'm of the opinion that the Hornets are fully committed to building the franchise through draft and development, not through free agency or to acquire talent through trades. Any significant trades, under this philosophy, would be for future assets (draft picks) or young players needing development. Trading for an older player that is not an established star would move the needle a little bit but not transform the franchise as is needed. I think the Hornets are committed to transformation not the treadmill.

That said, the "draft and development" effort can last only so long. Could Charlotte target a player on the 'cusp' of their development? I can think of three potential targets: Cheick Diallo, Jalen Brunson and Mfiondu Kabengele. Targets for 'next level' young players, I like Lonnie Walker, Cam Reddish and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. If the Hornets can't pry away a nice draft pick for some cap space, perhaps they could target one of these to take on a bad contract (of no more than two years in length - a three year contract would require the addition of a pick). Will cap space this summer be valuable enough to warrant a pick AND a player?
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#1873 » by MugzZo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:27 am

BigSlam wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Was listening to a GSW podcast the other day ... and while they are definitely hoping for better things, one deal they threw out there was trading back with the Hornets. The deal was #2 for #3 and Cody Zeller (into their trade exception). IDK about you guys, but I would do that one in a heartbeat.

I’d suggested that a couple of weeks ago. I think Cody would be a great fit there for them.

Call me crazy, but I’d also wonder if they’d have interest in Bats. He could theoretically slide into that Iguodala role for them very, very well - a role that would be perfect for his skill set and approach to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm can dig this for sure.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#1874 » by MugzZo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:33 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BeesWax wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:#2, MIN 1st, Wiggins, Looney, Poole, other filler for #3, Batum, Zeller would be an instant yes for me. GS would even preserve their TPE in that scenario.

I would leave out the three and throw in Bridges, who I don't think fits well with Washington, and see if they bite. Then we have the 2 and 3 and if Ball doesn't go 1 maybe we can move with the Knicks to 8 for some small return. Take Wiseman and Haliburton with the picks and just spend another year developing the young guys and be ready for next years loaded draft.

nah Bridges doesn't have that kind of value anywhere else unfortunately. Done deal for me if they offer it though
Bridges is only 22 and played 2 years. How many years did we give mkg as a 2nd pick? Bridges was 12th. He showed improvement this season. He and Washington are each 22. Why can't they learn to play together? Atleast give this guy some credit in comparison to how we held on to mkg for what seemed an eternity. Graham started is starting to get there at 23/24... let's develop these young men. Same with monk and how he had a mini breakout stretch last year. We can keep these guys at reasonable contracts let them grow while we also add pieces.
chellis20
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#1875 » by chellis20 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:06 am

Haven’t seen something like this posted before. Thoughts?

Sacramento sends: Buddy Hield
Charlotte sends: Nic Batum, Malik Monk, 32

Not saying I do it. Just messing around with trade ideas. Wasn’t sure Value is right or way off here.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1876 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:08 am

chellis20 wrote:Haven’t seen something like this posted before. Thoughts?

Sacramento sends: Buddy Hield
Charlotte sends: Nic Batum, Malik Monk, 32

Not saying I do it. Just messing around with trade ideas. Wasn’t sure Value is right or way off here.

This was in a fansided article (or something like that) that I read this morning.

Id pass
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1877 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:34 am

I kind of like the idea of Buddy in Charlotte, but not if it costs too much.

I don't think that the numbers quite work in the the trade Chellis posted, but it's close and that's a trade I would do.

There are lots of posts on this board about adding talent, but what are the team's real needs? I would argue that the number #1 need is to add another consistent scoring threat. Defense was a problem, but Charlotte was dead last in PPG by a significant margin. Buddy is a guy who has scored 20 PPG as a starter. If you can get him for Monk, 32, and filler (Nic), I think you do it.

I would prefer someone taller and better defensively to pair with Devonte, but I think issues like that are the kind of thing you figure out later if that's all it takes to get him.

I would not do some of the other trades I've seen suggested, like Terry & Monk for him. But Monk & 32. I'm in for that.
My picks:
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1878 » by LofJ » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:40 pm

Chris Paul has been in Charlotte a lot since the Thunder got knocked out of the playoffs. He's also like a son to MJ, so I hope we aren't planning on doing something stupid. He's a Hall of Famer and one of the best point guards to ever play the game, but we aren't in a position to be spending trade assets right now. If he wants to come here offer Batum and Rozier at most, anything more would be stupid.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1879 » by BigSlam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I kind of like the idea of Buddy in Charlotte, but not if it costs too much.

Isn’t he about to turn 28? And have a pretty big contract?

I’m not too familiar with his game but I thought it was pretty flawed. Outside of volume shooting I didn’t think he brought much to the table (eg: shot creation for himself or others, three level scoring, defense etc)?

I’d rather target someone like LaVert - who has dimensions to his game, is 3 years younger and a couple of million cheaper per year.
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,734

Post#1880 » by Diop » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I kind of like the idea of Buddy in Charlotte, but not if it costs too much.

Isn’t he about to turn 28? And have a pretty big contract?

I’m not too familiar with his game but I thought it was pretty flawed. Outside of volume shooting I didn’t think he brought much to the table (eg: shot creation for himself or others, three level scoring, defense etc)?

what i thought as well, doesn't sound much more exciting than monk who ended the season well before the suspension

Return to Charlotte Hornets