Who Should Be The Next Coach?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#81 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:13 pm

WireTap says he is leaving Houston and there is interest here and in Philly. I say let Philly have him. a coach his age wouldn't seem to fit Pritchard's goal of a coach that can communicate with 20 year olds, but maybe he is comfortable playing the grandfather.

I should look again but think his assistants looked on the old side too. perhaps, I need to look at Philly assistants too.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#82 » by Topofthekey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Wizop wrote:WireTap says he is leaving Houston and there is interest here and in Philly. I say let Philly have him. a coach his age wouldn't seem to fit Pritchard's goal of a coach that can communicate with 20 year olds, but maybe he is comfortable playing the grandfather.

I should look again but think his assistants looked on the old side too. perhaps, I need to look at Philly assistants too.

Maybe he will be able to communicate with the 20 somethings like a mentor figure

Communication doesn't necessarily mean hanging out together playing video games and making TikTok videos

Or whatever it is that the 20 somethings these days do when they are together
Wizop
RealGM

Post#83 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 pm

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#84 » by pacers33granger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:49 pm

Why is his age an issue? He's been around the league for decades and has never had an issue connecting with players that I've seen.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Almost 3 weeks in and we know almost essentially nothing. :dontknow:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#86 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Almost 3 weeks in and we know almost essentially nothing. :dontknow:

We read that some video interviews will be held this week and that Billups will wait and may do an in person interview later. my own guess is that there are people we want to interview whose current teams are still playing.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#87 » by granger05 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Pacers have seemed to need a kick in the pants to modernize their offense for a couple years now so I guess I'd have a more open mind to D'Antoni than some of the other coaching retreads. I'd assume they continue to keep Dan Burke around and if you let him deal with the defense and D'Antoni the offense then maybe something comes of it. I'd still prefer a fresh face though.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 pm

granger05 wrote:Pacers have seemed to need a kick in the pants to modernize their offense for a couple years now so I guess I'd have a more open mind to D'Antoni than some of the other coaching retreads. I'd assume they continue to keep Dan Burke around and if you let him deal with the defense and D'Antoni the offense then maybe something comes of it. I'd still prefer a fresh face though.

In all fairness, Dave Joerger is the only real re tread hat has been mentioned so far. Jacque Vaughan too, maybe? D’Antoni kind of but he’s leaving Houston of his own volition. Almost a dozen other candidates that haven’t been a head coach.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#89 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 pm

All this talk her of D'Antoni! Really he's going to Philly.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#90 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:42 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:All this talk her of D'Antoni! Really he's going to Philly.
Hope so.

Sent from my phone.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#91 » by Moooose » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 pm

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-keith-pompey-mike-dantoni-nba-los-angeles-clippers-ty-lue-billy-donovan-20200915.html

Some might think the coach and the Sixers' mutual attraction was a negotiating ploy for both parties, and that the Sixers could use interest in D’Antoni as a way to lower Lue’s asking price of $7 million and D’Antoni could use the Sixers' interest as a way to raise his price tag. But sources are saying he backed away from the Pacers gig because the Sixers' interest is real.

So, the Pacers and D'Antoni already talked?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#92 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 am

What do we know about Sam Cassell?

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 am

Moooose wrote:https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-keith-pompey-mike-dantoni-nba-los-angeles-clippers-ty-lue-billy-donovan-20200915.html

Some might think the coach and the Sixers' mutual attraction was a negotiating ploy for both parties, and that the Sixers could use interest in D’Antoni as a way to lower Lue’s asking price of $7 million and D’Antoni could use the Sixers' interest as a way to raise his price tag. But sources are saying he backed away from the Pacers gig because the Sixers' interest is real.

Who knows. We haven’t had any interviews reported other than the first one 3 weeks ago. I think the reference is more that the Philly reporters thought that D’Antoni was guaranteed here midseason. Remember that D’Antoni was lead assistant on Philly before the Houston job, and is well loved. I think he wants a spot he feels he can trust the owner, as he blew up in Houston there, and he already is comfortable with the Philly owners.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#94 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:51 am

Who knows. We haven’t had any interviews reported.
The Billips story on Wiretap says we're doing video interviews this week but he only wants in person. That tells us there are formal interviews in process but no names have leaked.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#95 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Wizop wrote:

The Billips story on Wiretap says we're doing video interviews this week but he only wants in person. That tells us there are formal interviews in process but no names have leaked.

Sent from my phone.

Mine is tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Mine is tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Wear pants. Or, at the least, make sure to project LIKE you’re wearing pants. :wink:
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#97 » by OnFire » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 am

Timberwolves associate head coach David Vanterpool is scheduled to interview with the Pacers for their head coaching job on Thursday, tweets Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News. Vanterpool was one of more than a dozen candidates said to be on Indiana’s initial list.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/09/central-notes-pistons-pacers-vanterpool-cavs.html
Wizop
RealGM

Post#98 » by Wizop » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Good article. Scott was doing the Pacers for theAthletic but was cut loose when they let a lot of writers go because of the sports shut downs.

https://fieldhousefiles.substack.com/p/pacers-players-embrace-coaching-change?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email&utm_source=copy
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#99 » by Lazlo4D » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 pm

While Brad Stevens & Nate McMillan are very good coaches, it has been obvious the Celtics and Pacers have been out-coached by the Heat. The Miami Heat players are well prepared and can counter what the other team is doing during the game. Their player development has been outstanding too.

Maybe it is all Riley & Erik Spoelstra but I think the Pacers really need to strongly consider Dan Craig of the Heat.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#100 » by pacers33granger » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:While Brad Stevens & Nate McMillan are very good coaches, it has been obvious the Celtics and Pacers have been out-coached by the Heat. The Miami Heat players are well prepared and can counter what the other team is doing during the game. Their player development has been outstanding too.

Maybe it is all Riley & Erik Spoelstra but I think the Pacers really need to strongly consider Dan Craig of the Heat.

Spo has done an incredible job there, but it's the culture too. Pritchard seems to get that based on his statements, but it takes time to implement that. And it's tough with Vic's situation because your best player has to buy in.

We need a coach who understands that, but one who also can implement a coherent offensive system. Maybe that's Craig, maybe it's someone else. Unfortunately it hasn't really been the case for us since the Reggie days.

Return to Indiana Pacers