ImageImage

Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP - The Contract discussions

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,915

Re: Giannis Thread - Met with ownership pg 6 

Post#421 » by Brewhoopfan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm

German Athens wrote:Also, do you think pick and rolls would work with Giannis as the ballhandler against the wall?

I know that might seem bizarre, as that would mean you’d be pushing more bodies to Giannis and muddying up lanes even more so, but would that also do the same for the defenders? Conventional wisdom would say pass to the players whose defender is sagging to help build the wall - they would have an open 3 - but that’s usually what the defense wants, and generally they seem to be able to recover. Wouldn’t a double screen on one end of the 3 man wall make it pretty hard to either get back to Giannis, or cause enough chaos as to where a rolling man might be able to break free?

I distinctively remember under kidd when Giannis first got moved to pg in the second half of the season - he actually displayed change of pace play. He ran the pick and roll, got his defender behind him and just slowed up waiting for the roller to get an opening. You know, actual pg chops.

Do you know who is most responsible for "The Wall?" The Bucks. When the Bucks run to a spot on the 3 point line and stand, it allows for another team to set up a wall on Giannis. The defenders only have to worry about closing out on their player, or the preferred shooter on a side of the floor. It's like guarding a chair. Pretty easy to scheme against in a playoff series. The solution? MOVE! Double screen, triple screen, or cuts of any kind will make it harder to stop Giannis whether he has the ball or not.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#422 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
German Athens wrote:Also, do you think pick and rolls would work with Giannis as the ballhandler against the wall?

I know that might seem bizarre, as that would mean you’d be pushing more bodies to Giannis and muddying up lanes even more so, but would that also do the same for the defenders? Conventional wisdom would say pass to the players whose defender is sagging to help build the wall - they would have an open 3 - but that’s usually what the defense wants, and generally they seem to be able to recover. Wouldn’t a double screen on one end of the 3 man wall make it pretty hard to either get back to Giannis, or cause enough chaos as to where a rolling man might be able to break free?

I distinctively remember under kidd when Giannis first got moved to pg in the second half of the season - he actually displayed change of pace play. He ran the pick and roll, got his defender behind him and just slowed up waiting for the roller to get an opening. You know, actual pg chops.

Do you know who is most responsible for "The Wall?" The Bucks. When the Bucks run to a spot on the 3 point line and stand, it allows for another team to set up a wall on Giannis. The defenders only have to worry about closing out on their player, or the preferred shooter on a side of the floor. It's like guarding a chair. Pretty easy to scheme against in a playoff series. The solution? MOVE! Double screen, triple screen, or cuts of any kind will make it harder to stop Giannis whether he has the ball or not.

Much like the Nuggets with Jokic and the Heat with Bam and even the Bucks with Bogut

We need to have Giannis directing the offense out of the high post with lots of player movement, cuts, screens and misdirections. Giannis has the skills to make the right pass and this keeps the defense from not paying attention to players not named Giannis.

Four guys standing in boxes while Giannis is swarmed and walled off just can't be an offense anymore
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,549

Post#423 » by th87 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:35 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:

Much like the Nuggets with Jokic and the Heat with Bam and even the Bucks with Bogut

We need to have Giannis directing the offense out of the high post with lots of player movement, cuts, screens and misdirections. Giannis has the skills to make the right pass and this keeps the defense from not paying attention to players not named Giannis.

Four guys standing in boxes while Giannis is swarmed and walled off just can't be an offense anymore

Yeah, when a team knows exactly what's coming and can essentially bait Giannis into the action they want him to take, it becomes much easier to defend.

Additionally, as flawed as the Bucks' offensive principles are, they abandoned them anyway, by passing up open 3s they normally take (especially Hill and Korver), which then became bad possessions. Compounding a mistake.

Wish we had actual media who would ask the team specific tactical questions.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Post#424 » by Fotis St » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:So is Giannis buying the Bucks or not?

Well ... Giannis signs a 4y/40M to help cap space and receives 51% of Bucks Ownership
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,833

Post#425 » by fansinceforever » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:05 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:

Exactly.

If youre gonna have guys stand on the perimeter they better be high percentage, quick trigger shooters who can also put it on the floor and create when the defensive rotations are behind.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#426 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Anyone have any theories as to what Giannis may have meant by “non traditional” roster building?
Do it for Chuck
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#427 » by machu46 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:15 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Anyone have any theories as to what Giannis may have meant by “non traditional” roster building?

Is this still based on that ScoopB/Amico hack report?
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#428 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:47 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Anyone have any theories as to what Giannis may have meant by “non traditional” roster building?

More videos from Damon Wayans for free agents I'm assuming.

That's how we got Greg Monroe.

In seriousness, I'm hoping it means our scouting department finds some diamonds in the rough

You see teams like the Heat find a guy like Duncan Robinson undrafted

The Spurs were always finding talent in Europe

Championship teams, since they always have guys on max deals, need productive guys on minimum contracts

Bucks need to find those productive guys this offseason
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,736

Post#429 » by emunney » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 pm

All brothers. Holidays, Morrises, Millsaps, Dragices incoming.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,826

Post#430 » by tydett » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:04 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

More videos from Damon Wayans for free agents I'm assuming.

That's how we got Greg Monroe.

In seriousness, I'm hoping it means our scouting department finds some diamonds in the rough

You see teams like the Heat find a guy like Duncan Robinson undrafted

The Spurs were always finding talent in Europe

Championship teams, since they always have guys on max deals, need productive guys on minimum contracts

Bucks need to find those productive guys this offseason

If you guys haven't read this piece on Duncan Robinson from the Ringer, it's incredible. So well written and shows how the Heat just created a guy out of nothing, basically. Tough to imagine this ever happening with the Bucks org and some of the people currently in it, but what the hell do I know?

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/17/21439778/duncan-robinson-miami-heat-boston-celtics-playoffs
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 994

Post#431 » by Ryan5UW » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Trading for Masai?
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#432 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,733

Post#433 » by Serge28 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:51 pm

And there it is.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Re: Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP 

Post#434 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#435 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Winning back to back MVPs is so huge.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#436 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:Image

Pretty much.

Giannis is my favorite athlete of all time. This is a huge honor. I won't take his nightly performances for granted. But with Rodgers and Yelich and Giannis we've had plenty of individual awards recently. I need a parade.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,646

Post#437 » by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:35 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:Image

Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#438 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Playoff bungle aside, it was a legendary season from Gianni. MVP, DPOY just incredible nightly effort. He may need to slow down 5-10% next season and learn how to coast a bit. I know he only plays 30-31 minutes but he goes balls out every time. Please Gianni, learn just two go-to moves in the post. Little baby-hook and a turn-around fade from 15 feet and in and your life will be easier.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#439 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:00 pm

2007 Dirk should be the first to congratulate him.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
awd4cy
Analyst
And1: 1,882

Post#440 » by awd4cy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Meh.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks