ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Fire Doc Rivers thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Re: Official Fire Doc Rivers thread 

Post#321 » by playaloc916 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 pm

How about Kenny Atkinson? Would he be interested in this team? Would the players sign off on him? Dave Joerger is another coach I think was decent.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Post#322 » by LamarWho » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:47 pm

Trying to think when was the last time we had a good coach. Larry Brown?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#323 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 am

LamarWho wrote:Trying to think when was the last time we had a good coach. Larry Brown?

I was just thinking about this lately. I agree, Larry Brown was the last good coach. And before that? You have to go all the way back to Dr. Jack and the '70s Braves for the only other good coach. Two good coaches in 50 years and none in 27 years, not good!

What's even worse is that we've never had the talent and the coaching in place at the same time. Our only good coaches didn't have enough talent to work with. And when we've had the talent, it's been squandered on terrible coaches like Dunleavy, VDN and Doc.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#324 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:39 am

i guess you could say larry brown.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#325 » by mttwlsn16 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:15 am

LamarWho wrote:Trying to think when was the last time we had a good coach. Larry Brown?
I personally don't think VDAA was a bad coach. Just no chance he was staying when Doc was available.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#326 » by donemilio21 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:46 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Jeff Van Gundy has been out of coaching for nearly 15 years.

No way we hire that guy.
It’s not like he was the defensive genius behind his teams to begin with.

Pass.

yeah hard pass on a has been. We need a young guy, hungry to win and has shown skills to be Xs and Os guy while being known and respected among NBA players.
Nick Van Excel, Ime Udoka, Adrian Griffin or perhaps even Juwan Howard could be good candidates. All have 5+ years of NBA coaching experience, former players, been part of successful organizations like Spurs, Thunder, Heat.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#327 » by NickP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:07 am

This entire discussion is moot now that Doc is secured for another year. Sad!
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#328 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:17 pm

NickP wrote:This entire discussion is moot now that Doc is secured for another year. Sad!

hopefully that was just lip service. Hopefully behind the scenes they are working on something. I'd even settle for Sam Cassell- I think he would make a good head coach- good teacher and clutch player. If not him, maybe Billups would be interested- he at least knows the team fairly well as the commentator- he is quite knowledgeable- seems to know more about the game than Doc and isn't afraid to criticize players
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#329 » by Clemenza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:48 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:
I personally don't think VDAA was a bad coach. Just no chance he was staying when Doc was available.

I kind of wanted to see Vinny the black get one more year with the team. We won what 56 games that year? Doc came in and tore the team apart. The horrific Sterling incident then Doc became coach and gm and made some of the worst moves ever
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#330 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Clemenza wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:

I kind of wanted to see Vinny the black get one more year with the team. We won what 56 games that year? Doc came in and tore the team apart. The horrific Sterling incident then Doc became coach and gm and made some of the worst moves ever

Vinny was never getting another season. The players wanted him fired. And he was a terrible coach too. The mistake wasn't firing him, it was letting CP3 essentially run the coaching search. He demanded either Doc or Byron Scott, and the rest was history.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#331 » by NickP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:46 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:I personally don't think VDAA was a bad coach. Just no chance he was staying when Doc was available.

Vinny was never getting another season. The players wanted him fired. And he was a terrible coach too. The mistake wasn't firing him, it was letting CP3 essentially run the coaching search. He demanded either Doc or Byron Scott, and the rest was history.

I didn't have an issue hiring Doc. My issue is how many lives is Ballmer going to give this guy.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#332 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 pm

vinny was awful.

good reason he hasn't had a job since.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#333 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm

But Doc has had more time, better players and he still hasn't gone further than Vinny.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#334 » by Camping Fan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:07 pm

Well,. First of all... If Doc Rivers was a real man, he would step down as head coach and coordinate the transition to new coach acceptable to the players and take on a consultant position in the office.

That's not going to happen and neither will his getting fired which is unfortunate, because the Clippers are screwed without a change
Lakers 2020
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#335 » by donemilio21 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:22 pm

NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I kind of wanted to see Vinny the black get one more year with the team. We won what 56 games that year? Doc came in and tore the team apart. The horrific Sterling incident then Doc became coach and gm and made some of the worst moves ever

I didn't have an issue hiring Doc. My issue is how many lives is Ballmer going to give this guy.

Ballmer needs to realize that it has been 6 years and nearly $2.5B invested and he has nothing to show for as an owner other than three 2nd round exit.
Some owners would take that any day, but after spending a fortune you have to expect more.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#336 » by Clemenza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:15 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Vinny was never getting another season. The players wanted him fired. And he was a terrible coach too. The mistake wasn't firing him, it was letting CP3 essentially run the coaching search. He demanded either Doc or Byron Scott, and the rest was history.

Ballmer needs to realize that it has been 6 years and nearly $2.5B invested and he has nothing to show for as an owner other than three 2nd round exit.
Some owners would take that any day, but after spending a fortune you have to expect more.

Exactly plus its a two-fold battle as you're also fighting for increasing the fanbase in an extremely crowded sports market that craves and respects winning and winners. The money spent is obvious all around town with the billboards, ads, team mantras like "Streetlights over spotlights" and "LA our way", a new arena on the way, etc. But the small sh*t is being ignored like coaching, chemistry, cohesiveness, and so forth. Its like Ballmer isn't "crossing the T's and dotting the I's" in his quest for a championship team. I give him credit though. He's really out here trying but he's got to open his eyes to the non-sexy under the radar things for making a successful club. I heard the story a few times that he was the guy that laughed at Apple's IPod when it first released but then later scrambled to play catch up by releasing the Zune a year or so later. He'll learn.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#337 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:15 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Vinny was never getting another season. The players wanted him fired. And he was a terrible coach too. The mistake wasn't firing him, it was letting CP3 essentially run the coaching search. He demanded either Doc or Byron Scott, and the rest was history.

Ballmer was known for not making big decisions as CEO. When MS division heads were fighting internally, he didn't rule.

Reality is he was a buddy of Gates, wouldn't be where he is today if he had gone out on his own.

Now that he has a mountain of money he needs advisors who can nudge him against his own instincts, which is not to rock the boat.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#338 » by TheNewEra » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:31 am

Can’t believe the front office has been this cowardice
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#339 » by Kelphus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:27 am

Clemenza wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:

Does anybody remember that Vinny Del Negro completely lost the team? They just stopped playing for him, it was embarrassing. Nice hair but I don't think he was the right coach.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#340 » by Kelphus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:I personally don't think VDAA was a bad coach. Just no chance he was staying when Doc was available.

First time (and probably the last) I agree with MTV. That can only mean one thing. The Big One is coming, make sure your disaster supplies are all in place.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers