ImageImageImageImageImage

Pascal We Love You

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

arneil
Sophomore
And1: 119

Re: Pascal We Love You 

Post#61 » by arneil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
arneil wrote:The problem comparing Pascal to Michael is that Michael came out with a bang and that bang stayed and went higher. Jordan was a complete killer and scoring machine.It was clear that Michael was going to be AT LEAST a superstar but his Bulls teams were **** until they started building around Michael. I dont see that same killer instinct in Pascal. Michael never played like **** during his climb to championship. Pascal is like up and down. Pascal has been playing doo doo since the bubble. I know its a different situation because of Covid but when was the last time Michael had a bad season? Even when Michael came out of retirement he didnt have that bad of a season. I dont think Pascal has that killer instinct that Michael has. Maybe it will come next season but after this bubble. I dont see it.

The problem with comparing MJ and Pascal is that MJ was the 3rd overall pick and the greatest of all time.

Pascal is the 27th pick and already far exceeded his draft pick value.

I swear to god this title is turning out to be wasted on the most unappreciative group of fans. A 'found money' season where we go to the 2nd round, game 7, show incredible fight. Sure our young star player (who helped us win the title btw) bombed, but it was clear growing pains.

What bugs me the most is those who believe he should carry this team. A 27th pick carrying the team? This is a team, not a superstar and a bunch of nobodies. In fact, I love this team because it isn't a superstar and a bunch of nobodies.

In fact I do not like going with a 7 1/2 man rotation in the playoffs. I'd like to see more players out there and less pressure on the main guys to perform.

Well, for me, its like people expected Pascal to carry this team after Kawahi left. I think that was a bit of stretch. Just watching Pascal play with Kawahi last year, me personally, I can see that Pascal is a great 2nd option and an excellent and elite role player. The comparison of Michael to Pascal. Thats not even close. And I do agree. I love this team precisely because they are a well put together team that plays well together.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,126

Post#62 » by Chandan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Did Lou Williams just took the worst 3 point shooting performance from Pascal? I think he's 4/27.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#63 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Championships as a 2nd option to Kawhi:

Siakam: 1
PG13: 0
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#64 » by FreshyFlames » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
redraptor77 wrote:Pascal keeping working.
Without Pascal we don't win the Championship.
Without Pascal we don't get to be the third best record in the NBA this year.
Prior to the shut down he was having a darn good year. He was struggling for a bit but the last few games
before the initial shutdown he was turning it back around. Out of the last ten games he had 8 great games.
He had a rough spot during a very weird and crazy year. He has the natural talent. Remember he has only
been playing organized Ball for 8 years... think about that.
He might not be a Jordan - but we can count on one hand who even comes close to that discussion.
The team is all heart and grit. Siakam has the ability he just needs to get his rhythm back.
Fred will resign and then Ujiri will do his thing to get us back to the finals...

Why does regular season record even matter? The team with the best record and the 3rd best record are out in the 2nd round.

In a normal year, that extra date in front of your own fans is huge.

Didn't matter against the Bucks last year.
Raps in 6ix
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#65 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm

FreshyFlames wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
Why does regular season record even matter? The team with the best record and the 3rd best record are out in the 2nd round.

We beat the Bucks in 6. We didn't use that last extra home date.

Game 7, in front of your own crowd, matters.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#66 » by FreshyFlames » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Doesn't matter when there's no game 7. 1st seed doesn't win the chip every year. Also that game 7 sure helped that 73 win Warriors team.
Raps in 6ix
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#67 » by Dennis 37 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:31 pm

FreshyFlames wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:Didn't matter against the Bucks last year.

Doesn't matter when there's no game 7. 1st seed doesn't win the chip every year. Also that game 7 sure helped that 73 win Warriors team.

The Raptors certainly have teams, against whom, they do better on home court. One of those teams is the Boston Celtics. Except for this current year, look at home and away results the three years before. https://www.landofbasketball.com/head_to_head_gl/celtics_vs_raptors_game_log_season.htm
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Raptolicism
Rookie
And1: 480

Post#68 » by Raptolicism » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Pascal will be our guy!

The last 6 months have been bonkers, so from my perspective he should not be written off as a result of his play during that time.

He has been excellent outside of this crazy pandemic, and to me it is most logical to assume that he would return to that form, rather than staying in this one.
YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WE THE CHAMPS BABY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
biblast
RealGM
And1: 4,799

Post#69 » by biblast » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:22 pm

I have no problem with the criticism that Pascal got. I criticized him too. He’s a star athlete and he will be adored when he plays well and criticized when he plays poorly. That’s all well and good.
What I can’t stand is the racist tweets and comments about him! It’s disgraceful and unacceptable!
The US gets most of the attention when it comes to race matters and social injustice but this goes to show you that Canada is not immune to it, far from it.
On the plus side, I believe in humanity and I can say with confidence that bigots are a small minority but I’m disappointed with the silent majority! We all have a responsibility to call out those who seek hate and division. Silence is not an option!

Back to basketball, I hope Pascal bounces back next year! He’s not the 1st star to struggle in the playoffs nor the last! Paul George is a prime example and he has more experience than Pascal. Anyway, I hope he gets motivated to work hard this off season and come back stronger!
And I’m confident that he’ll do just that!
Now if we can pair him with the Greek Freak in 2021, that will make it even better!
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,033

Post#70 » by Oakvillehoops » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am

The truth is, if you remove Siakams stats against the bottom 10 teams in the league. He actually struggled all year. He looked awful in every regular season game against top 10 teams.

But somehow no on caught on or noticed. All of his 30+ point games this year were against bottom feeders
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,003

Post#71 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:04 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
arneil wrote:The problem comparing Pascal to Michael is that Michael came out with a bang and that bang stayed and went higher. Jordan was a complete killer and scoring machine.It was clear that Michael was going to be AT LEAST a superstar but his Bulls teams were **** until they started building around Michael. I dont see that same killer instinct in Pascal. Michael never played like **** during his climb to championship. Pascal is like up and down. Pascal has been playing doo doo since the bubble. I know its a different situation because of Covid but when was the last time Michael had a bad season? Even when Michael came out of retirement he didnt have that bad of a season. I dont think Pascal has that killer instinct that Michael has. Maybe it will come next season but after this bubble. I dont see it.

Pascal was the 27th overall pick. If he had MJ's talent, drive, and confidence, there is no way he would have dropped to 27th.

Jordan was the 3rd overall pick.

Let's start comparing Pascal's growth curve to players picked 20 to 30.

That went out the window when he signed the max deal. He needs to be compared to other max players going forward.

Mentioning Jordan is just ridiculous but I understand the message and agree in the long term. Just sucks because we could have won it all this year. Clippers were the only team I was scared of.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#72 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:07 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Pascal was the 27th overall pick. If he had MJ's talent, drive, and confidence, there is no way he would have dropped to 27th.

That went out the window when he signed the max deal. Compare him to other Max players...

Mentioning Jordan is just ridiculous but I understand the message and agree in the long term. Just sucks because we could have won it all this year. Clippers were the only team I was scared of.

Disagree. The growth chart of a 27th overall, is not going to mirror that of a 2 pick overall no matter how much he impresses during one year and gets paid.
Maxpainmedia:
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,003

Post#73 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:12 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

That went out the window when he signed the max deal. Compare him to other Max players...

Disagree. The growth chart of a 27th overall, is not going to mirror that of a 2 pick overall no matter how much he impresses during one year and gets paid.

Lol what? Thats just a horrible opinion. Do you realize how many bust at the top of every draft there are? Guess Jokic should be held to 2nd round pick standards...
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#74 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Lol what? Thats just a horrible opinion. Do you realize how many bust at the top of every draft there are? Guess Jokic should be held to 2nd round pick standards...

We weren't comparing pascal to a bust lottery pick. We are comparing him to a top 2 pick becoming a max player. The graph plotting the growth of that number 2 overall, will have fewer valleys than that of a 27th overall pick.

I'm not talking about performance, I'm taking about growth consistency.

There will always be outliers. Jokic is an outlier.
Maxpainmedia:
arneil
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#75 » by arneil » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

We weren't comparing pascal to a bust lottery pick. We are comparing him to a top 2 pick becoming a max player. The graph plotting the growth of that number 2 overall, will have fewer valleys than that of a 27th overall pick.

Well lets just be honest here now. Judging players based on where they were drafted is pretty irrelevant when its been what?...four years now? Pascal was drafted in 2016. He's in the NBA. That's all that matters now. So you judge Pascal based on what he's doing now in the NBA not when he was drafted. So with that said. From what Ive seen. I think Pascal is a very good player. Fringe all star. Not sure if he has the superstar mentality. I hope he proves me wrong though next season. I want him to prove me wrong. But I just didnt see him step it up in this years playoffs.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:23 pm

arneil wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Well lets just be honest here now. Judging players based on where they were drafted is pretty irrelevant when its been what?...four years now? Pascal was drafted in 2016. He's in the NBA. That's all that matters now. So you judge Pascal based on what he's doing now in the NBA not when he was drafted. So with that said. From what Ive seen. I think Pascal is a very good player. Fringe all star. Not sure if he has the superstar mentality. I hope he proves me wrong though next season. I want him to prove me wrong. But I just didnt see him step it up in this years playoffs.

And Kawhi Leonard and Paul George completely disappeared in their game 7. Did PG even show up for any of the games? If tier 1 players can show inconsistency, and even struggle in the bubble environment, I'm not going to pass judgement on Pascal now.

Kyle Lowry, at 26, was not the Kyle Lowry we have now. Let's have some patience, regardless of the pay.
Maxpainmedia:
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#77 » by Indeed » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:The truth is, if you remove Siakams stats against the bottom 10 teams in the league. He actually struggled all year. He looked awful in every regular season game against top 10 teams.

But somehow no on caught on or noticed. All of his 30+ point games this year were against bottom feeders

We didn't do well against the top 10 teams regardless, it is not just Siakam. Definitely a bit disappointed, even he is still on his rookie salary, but we probably need more than Siakam, VanVlett/Lowry. We will need another two-way wing player who can playmake a bit, more than Powell.

I think the biggest question would be Gasol instead of Siakam. If we have another two-way wing, maybe Gasol would be the better option, where we have enough offense. But it seems Ibaka with a 3+D skill set would be someone who works better with our lineup.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,003

Post#78 » by ItsDanger » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:The truth is, if you remove Siakams stats against the bottom 10 teams in the league. He actually struggled all year. He looked awful in every regular season game against top 10 teams.

He did score 30+ against Boston & Utah. There is a direct correlation between made 3's and his 30 pt games. I think it has more to do with not getting to the line as much as he should.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#79 » by Smitson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Who cares if he was picked 27th overall? He’s a max player now. His draft position isn’t relevant at all. That’s one of the worst arguments I’ve ever heard.
Axe Dragon
Analyst
And1: 376

Post#80 » by Axe Dragon » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:Pascal wouldnt have survived for a season in Jordans era. Please dont make that comparison again.

The problem is, PFs other than Dirk will never win you anything, and Pascal is too flawed to begin with. Awkward handles, no mid range, avoiding contact in the paint, no long range, and now with defenses all over him, a turnover machine.

I think he will stuff the stat sheet during the season, but going forward he should not be the guy leading your team.

Masai kind messed him up by paying him like a star, which will bring all kinds of expectations on the guy. Im willing to admit I was wrong like I was about Gasol, but I dont think he lives up to his contract.

What about Garnett and Duncan. They were PFs and won more than Dirk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to Toronto Raptors