ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread *UPDATES*

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#141 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 pm

720 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm pretty certain Powell played his last game in a Raptors uniform.
His last play was getting rejected by Smart on a fastbreak.

I'm gonna miss Norm. :[

Why do you think we’re trading norm?

If we're retaining FVV and plan on signing OG and Davis next summer as well, then we're gonna have to move Norm if we wanna be player for a big name FA next summer.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#142 » by 720 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm pretty certain Powell played his last game in a Raptors uniform.

If we're retaining FVV and plan on signing OG and Davis next summer as well, then we're gonna have to move Norm if we wanna be player for a big name FA next summer.

I don’t think we’re for sure retaining Fred. Also, as long as we pick one of Ibaka or Fred we will have space to sign a big name in 2021 because Lowry comes off the books.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#143 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:47 pm

720 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote:Why do you think we’re trading norm?

I don’t think we’re for sure retaining Fred. Also, as long as we pick one of Ibaka or Fred we will have space to sign a big name in 2021 because Lowry comes off the books.

Norm is also arguably our best trade asset. He's on a very enticing contract and is coming off an amazing season. His value is at an all-time high.

Masai did say today that re-signing FVV is their biggest priority so lets see.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#144 » by mtcan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Lets bring in Demarcus Cousins...give him a chance. Give him a season as a redemption project. This would be a low risk high reward scenario.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,743

Post#145 » by metafisical » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote:

I am feeling so hopeless. Trading away Powell. FVV and Ujiri potentially not re-signing. Gasol possibly gone. Maybe Lowry decides to move on. Siakim not playing as well as he can.

I feel so depressed.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#146 » by gerrit4 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:52 pm

When we talk about having a "winning culture," I think one very good example is what happened with Matt Thomas this year. On a bad team, he probably would have worked all season to improve his scoring numbers. At the beginning of the season, he was an ATROCIOUS defender. By the end of the season, he had clearly improved his defence to the level of being passable. He still got picked on a few times, but on the whole he held his own against a very good team.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#147 » by gerrit4 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:57 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote:

It's a fair point. I'd argue that Norm will likely be very tradable next summer if we need to clear cap. If he has a really bad season, I'm sure we can attach a pick to it to get him off the books.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,576

Post#148 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:08 pm

gerrit4 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote:Why do you think we’re trading norm?

It's a fair point. I'd argue that Norm will likely be very tradable next summer if we need to clear cap. If he has a really bad season, I'm sure we can attach a pick to it to get him off the books.

Norm has a player option
You might not even be able to trade him then
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#149 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:11 am

I think we should be prepping our roster as if Giannis is not coming.

Do the 3 way deal for Lowry, re-sign FVV and trade him in the season, same thing with Ibaka. Use the MLE to bring in some PG and C depth.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#150 » by nabbs » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 am

Updated Bigman Targets:

Biyombo (UFA)
TT (UFA)
Plumlee (UFA)
Baynes (UFA)
Len (UFA)
O'Quinn (UFA)
Noel (UFA)
Favors (UFA)
Giles (UFA)
Vonleh (UFA)
Willy Hernangomez (UFA)
Lance Thomas (UFA)

If you wanna bet an offensive upside, I think you go Len, TT or WIlly Hernangomez. There are tons of guys with defensive upside on this. If we're betting on surplus value contract wise + 2 way upside, I think the best bets are Alex Len, Derrick Favors and Harry Giles.

Alex Len is actually really interesting

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#151 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#152 » by nabbs » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:54 am

UPDATE

I figured it would be easier if I made this the offseason training thread as well. I have made it the past 2 years and it did well to keep us on the loop on guys development, especially with Rico's runs being the big thing to track the last 2 years. So unless you guys want me to make a different thread, I will stick all the offseason training stuff I can find in this thread:

Paul Watson:

Read on Twitter

As far as the other guys, Fred is currently on vacation and Oshae/Boucher are in Toronto

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
sycammer
Head Coach
And1: 1,304

Post#153 » by sycammer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:33 am

I pointed out in my observations on the team's performance in another thread, our guards' lack of height was a big factor for Jaylen brown & Marcus smart, having a field day....my take is they will let Kyle Lowry's contract to expire, or he will move to a team like Philly, where he will a chance to compete for a championship as the raptors are retooling themselves.

We can't keep both FVV & Powell, I think good chance 1 of them isn't back next season..we need to get a SG like Beal, Oladipo....or someone else for that...I'm not fixated on a certain player...we need someone PF who can play in the post - that was missing from our offence as last year it allowed us to the play inside-outside game & made the ball movement amazing as well (Backdoor cuts/driving for a dunk, wide-open 3 point shots....)
Oakley:

"What's going on the league today? It ain't nothing hard, they don't practice any more, they just go around the court doing nothing."
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#154 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:45 am

Read on Twitter

How many minutes can we expect Paul Watson to get next year?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#155 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:41 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

How many minutes can we expect Paul Watson to get next year?

Could see him as a bench wing so like 15ish?
sycammer
Head Coach

Post#156 » by sycammer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:03 am

it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if the raptors were having an OK season (EC:6-8 seed), MU decides to pull the plug & go nuclear on tank mode...he has made the comment on the lines in the past that we will not be in the middle of the road type situation...I'm not interested in being a 5-8 seed playoff team with no chance of being a championship-caliber team in the near future.

the right decision will be to tank: 2021 Draft is said to be very good, we need to get a top 10 player to move beyond the 2nd rd.

its interesting to note how far this franchise has come: before in the 2000s, if we made the playoffs, 1st rd exit would be fine, now in 2020, 2nd rd exit is not good enough for us...
Oakley:

"What's going on the league today? It ain't nothing hard, they don't practice any more, they just go around the court doing nothing."
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,459

Post#157 » by Brinbe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:41 am

trade norm, let fred go. elevate wetson/td.

sign brampton mans and willy hernangomez to replace marc/serge

never overpay due to loyalty, you will regret it everytime.

the value of our organization is finding good depth in unlikely places, utilize that advantage.
sycammer
Head Coach

Post#158 » by sycammer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:02 pm

1 thing I will mention if does anyone expects FVV to get soo much freedom in terms of taking shots with any other team? the offensive system that we have allows FVV to succeed, don't think that will be the case with another team where he will not be a no.2/3 option & won't get any kind of freedom as he does here.

LAC & Kawhi got to know that every team is different...Kawhi found that out with LAC, he cant load manage his way to the playoffs...
Oakley:

Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,740

Post#159 » by Yeezus_ » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:08 pm

sycammer wrote:it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if the raptors were having an OK season (EC:6-8 seed), MU decides to pull the plug & go nuclear on tank mode...he has made the comment on the lines in the past that we will not be in the middle of the road type situation...I'm not interested in being a 5-8 seed playoff team with no chance of being a championship-caliber team in the near future.

the right decision will be to tank: 2021 Draft is said to be very good, we need to get a top 10 player to move beyond the 2nd rd.

its interesting to note how far this franchise has come: before in the 2000s, if we made the playoffs, 1st rd exit would be fine, now in 2020, 2nd rd exit is not good enough for us...

You cant tank with Siakam/OG/Fred/Norm lol
Yeezy SZN approaching
sycammer
Head Coach

Post#160 » by sycammer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
sycammer wrote:it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if the raptors were having an OK season (EC:6-8 seed), MU decides to pull the plug & go nuclear on tank mode...he has made the comment on the lines in the past that we will not be in the middle of the road type situation...I'm not interested in being a 5-8 seed playoff team with no chance of being a championship-caliber team in the near future.

You cant tank with Siakam/OG/Fred/Norm lol

my preference is to get it right: the raptors will not beat the nets/Celtics as we are built...we need to add talent...im taking the view that Giannis will re-sign with Bucks...we lacked a finisher - a guy who can get us a bucket when we need it, we lacked that player in these playoffs...either we trade for 1 or we draft a young player
Oakley:

Return to Toronto Raptors