ImageImageImageImageImage

Read it & weep...

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Read it & weep... 

Post#1 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am

Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Re: Read it & weep... 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:56 am

The article -- which could not provide more of a condemnation of Ted Leonsis & (of course) Ernie Grunfeld -- doesn't even mention at least 1/3 of the egregiously horrible moves (& non-moves) that brought the franchise to where it was at the end of last season.

& where was that? In a state of complete, utter failure.

The article does mention that "Sheppard acquitted himself reasonably well this past season, considering the rough hand he was dealt in his first season." Tommy deserves better than that, I'd say, considering that he was handed a roster with exactly 4 players who were of any interest at all.

His best moves were re-signing Bryant & acquiring Bonga & Bertans for nothing. Signing Ish for 2 years was solid as well. Even giving IT a chance was ok, considering our situation. Finding an undrafted long-shot like Mathews was creative as well.

But, there were a few poor moves as well -- trading Howard for Miles (rather than just cutting him), &, instead of eating IT's cheap salary, managing to turn it into $12.7m guaranteed to Jerome Robinson who had been absolutely terrible with his first team -- I mean awful -- & would obviously have been waived at the end of the 19-20 season & be available for next to no $$ if, for some reason, we wanted him. Then there was the pick of Rui. Maybe he'll turn into a good player; he was a sub-optimal, "all-in" style pick. & targeting Admiral Schofield of all guys in R2 wasn't a good move either.

Still, overall, he has made us young -- made us a new team -- & that is a lot given what we inherited. It wasn't a successful season in the conventional sense, but it was a lot of fun all the same (until Covid hit & took the fun out of most everything).

Compared to the unbelievable mess we were in when last season ended it was a breath of fresh air. So, yeah, I give Tommy a little more praise than "acquitted himself reasonably well." In truth, this draft will be an important test.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#3 » by queridiculo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:38 am

Not really sure I get the point of this piece, a dollar short and a day late.

I find it particularly amusing that Michael Lee would put his name on this piece, wasn't he a big part of letting Leonsis and Grunfeld slide all these years?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#4 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:09 pm

queridiculo wrote:Not really sure I get the point of this piece, a dollar short and a day late.

I find it particularly amusing that Michael Lee would put his name on this piece, wasn't he a big part of letting Leonsis and Grunfeld slide all these years?

Right. I think the point is the set-up for the NEXT article where they propose ‘9 things the Wizards can to to win!’ Hoorah. But with this little insight and analysis I don’t anticipate anything groundbreaking in that either.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#5 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:17 pm

queridiculo wrote:Not really sure I get the point of this piece, a dollar short and a day late.

Truth! Mike didn't want to bite the hand that fed him, he needed the access to everyone to do his job. Jay Glassie wrote about how Ernie rules in that what if you can pull-up that classic opinion piece by him.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#6 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:17 pm

If you want a read and weep article by Michael Lee you might as well post his follow up to John Wall being drunk and flashing gang signs on video last weekend:

https://theathletic.com/2065463/2020/09/14/after-gang-sign-video-surfaces-john-wall-has-to-decide-whats-important-to-him/?source=user_shared_article

John Wall apologizes for flashing gang signs in Sunday morning video https://theathletic.com/2064419/2020/09/14/john-wall-apologizes-for-flashing-gang-signs-in-sunday-morning-video/?source=user_shared_article
payitforward
RealGM

Post#7 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Yeah, the article was particularly interesting. Just a rehash...

Maybe the folllow-up will have something more interesting to offer.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#8 » by dckingsfan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Sometimes folks have to be beaten over the heads and shoulders to get the point - Grunfeld was one of the worst GMs - EVER.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#9 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:31 pm

I thought the interesting thing pointed out was about the consultants that Leonsis hired. Eventually consultants are paid to give advice on what the client wants to here. So perhaps a meaningful remake of the front office wasn't made although let's see what Tommy Shepherd does going forward.

Return to Washington Wizards