Steve Nash Says He Plans To Play Kevin Durant In 'All Five Positions'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Steve Nash Says He Plans To Play Kevin Durant In 'All Five Positions' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Steven Nash spoke of his plans to use Kevin Durant's positional versatility on JJ Reddick's The Old Man and the Three podcast (h/t Coby Green of SNY).

“Kevin, with his length, is a matchup problem for everyone. Kevin can play all five positions, and I plan to use him in all five positions," said Nash of Durant.

Nash has previously worked with Durant as a consultant for the Warriors.

Nash also plans to use Kyrie Irving off the ball, adding that he looks forward to getting to know the point guard.

“Ky is a weapon off the ball. ... He’s one of my favorite players. He’s kind of a savant with the basketball," said Nash. 

Irving averaged 27.4 points and 6.4 assists in his first season with the Nets. 

Via Coby Green/SNY

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Steve Nash Says He Plans To Play Kevin Durant In 'All Five Positions' 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Nash will quickly learn it’s what KD & Kyrie want. It’s nice to pretend though.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#3 » by Cassius » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:18 pm

Moving Kyrie off the ball is the first step toward saving the locker room. Spence, Caris and KD are far more willing to move the ball. Kyrie could have a Harden-esque season if he's relieved of any point guard duties, especially with KD's gravity keeping the doubles away.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#4 » by Rashidi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:29 pm

Cassius wrote:Moving Kyrie off the ball is the first step toward saving the locker room. Spence, Caris and KD are far more willing to move the ball. Kyrie could have a Harden-esque season if he's relieved of any point guard duties, especially with KD's gravity keeping the doubles away.

I don't think you understand how Harden gets his points if you think getting the ball out of Kyrie's hands is going to lead to a Harden-esque season.

Harden was literally the most ball-dominant player in NBA history this season.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#5 » by Cassius » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 pm

Rashidi wrote:
Cassius wrote:Moving Kyrie off the ball is the first step toward saving the locker room. Spence, Caris and KD are far more willing to move the ball. Kyrie could have a Harden-esque season if he's relieved of any point guard duties, especially with KD's gravity keeping the doubles away.

I don't think you understand how Harden gets his points if you think getting the ball out of Kyrie's hands is going to lead to a Harden-esque season.

Harden was literally the most ball-dominant player in NBA history this season.

I'm not saying to run the D'Antoni offense... I'm saying that if Kyrie's primary and secondary jobs are to score and only pass if/when the double comes, he's basically James Harden. Nash could basically run an offense that involves the other four guys until there's like 8 seconds left on the shot clock, then just give the ball to Kyrie if they haven't created a good shot yet.

Harden, Curry, Luka and Dame are the other four guys who could basically be a whole offense with 8 seconds of iso. The problem is that Kyrie does that with 18 seconds on the clock, lol!
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#6 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:17 am

TheCage4 wrote:Nash will quickly learn it’s what KD & Kyrie want. It’s nice to pretend though.

Well true BUT KD is the bigger star...and he wants the ball...Nash is giving him everything he wants. I see this as a move to test kyrie..tow the line or leave... Because he can be traded.

This is exactly what KD wants, so kd gets. The nets won't be better for it in the long run but it's better than irving running the team into the ground.

It's an unbalanced team... But it's the east. I'd trade irving for a relatively high pick and a solid 3-D guy.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Nash needs to realize the Nets owner didnt hire him to coach coach. Just sit on the bench and look good. KD will teach him how to run his own plays soon.
OogaBooga
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#8 » by OogaBooga » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:11 am

I think we should wait to see how kyrie and kd play together before we all decide how things are going to be

Return to Wiretap Discussion