stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,685

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#361 » by stormi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:40 am

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:
He’s in the same category with guys like Theis and Bam.
The PF in the 2010 is the center of 2020.

A team that is not starved off with scoring like the Rockets or the Celtics would be perfect for Al.

Guys like him has value because you can start him at C to play small or slide him to PF like how Celts used to pair him with Baynes.

He actually played well with Biid during the bubble. It’s just you need a Michael Jordan than an Al Horford with our team during the play-offs with how starved we our on our talent at the perimeter.

Thinking about it, we may have the worst perimeter talent at the bubble. Maybe the worst at the guard positions.

Lets not forget Al was an allstar the year before he came to Philly as a player who's game is not predicated around athleticism. Being used in pick and pop and being able to playmake out of the lowpost is his expertise. We had him here trying to be Cam Johnson.

I think Dallas is a sleeper great fit for him to go. He's a hard screen setter, great player maker and he can sit down low cause and protect the areas Porzingis is allergic too. Luka would create a lot of looks for him, and he himself would create looks for the Mavs' shooters passing from the post.

The fit of him, Simmons and Embiid was just abhorrent. I thought he could have been like a better defending Dario when we signed him but i must have underrated how fluid Dario was with and without the ball.

Dario is not playable in the playoffs. He has 0 rim protection, slower feet than Al and can’t attack anyone at 1v1. You can afford to put a wing at him like Jaylen Brown.

Roco is only playable with the Rockets because he plays alot of team defense at the C position while he is not asked a lot on offense.

Al is playable in all teams, including ours.

The problem with Al is his contract. There is just no justification for that amount, on an individual level.

Our best player in that Celtics series.

Cov has value, like Crowder has value for the Heat, but he's a rotational player. They're doing so well because they can bring someone like that in off of the bench and provide energy, spacing, bbiq, defending and shooting. I think Jae is more talented than Cov anyways.

Where's the fit of Al with Ben and Joel? Not hypothetically if those two players develop different skills in their game, but all of them as they are. Yes he brings top tier minutes as a backup center, but that's quite the expensive luxury, and in the starting lineup it'll have one of him or Jojo forced to chase around forwards they can't keep up with on defense.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#362 » by TTP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:04 am

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:
He’s in the same category with guys like Theis and Bam.
The PF in the 2010 is the center of 2020.

A team that is not starved off with scoring like the Rockets or the Celtics would be perfect for Al.

Guys like him has value because you can start him at C to play small or slide him to PF like how Celts used to pair him with Baynes.

He actually played well with Biid during the bubble. It’s just you need a Michael Jordan than an Al Horford with our team during the play-offs with how starved we our on our talent at the perimeter.

Thinking about it, we may have the worst perimeter talent at the bubble. Maybe the worst at the guard positions.

Lets not forget Al was an allstar the year before he came to Philly as a player who's game is not predicated around athleticism. Being used in pick and pop and being able to playmake out of the lowpost is his expertise. We had him here trying to be Cam Johnson.

I think Dallas is a sleeper great fit for him to go. He's a hard screen setter, great player maker and he can sit down low cause and protect the areas Porzingis is allergic too. Luka would create a lot of looks for him, and he himself would create looks for the Mavs' shooters passing from the post.

The fit of him, Simmons and Embiid was just abhorrent. I thought he could have been like a better defending Dario when we signed him but i must have underrated how fluid Dario was with and without the ball.

Dario is not playable in the playoffs. He has 0 rim protection, slower feet than Al and can’t attack anyone at 1v1. You can afford to put a wing at him like Jaylen Brown. Then you can expect Kemba, Tatum or Jaylen hunting Dario’s defense. We’ve seen this movie before.

Roco is only playable with the Rockets because he plays alot of team defense at the C position while he is not asked a lot on offense. His shooting is very erratic to be relied upon on offense while defensively he is not that good of an individual defender compared to guys like Iguodala or even Ben.

The problem with Al is his contract. There is just no justification for that amount, on an individual level.

Lol, Roco is playable on every team in the playoffs. He'd probably start on pretty much every team. It's an absolutely terrible take to suggest that he wouldn't be in the 8 man playoff rotation on any team other than the Rockets.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#363 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:08 am

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:

Dario is not playable in the playoffs. He has 0 rim protection, slower feet than Al and can’t attack anyone at 1v1. You can afford to put a wing at him like Jaylen Brown. Then you can expect Kemba, Tatum or Jaylen hunting Dario’s defense. We’ve seen this movie before.

Roco is only playable with the Rockets because he plays alot of team defense at the C position while he is not asked a lot on offense. His shooting is very erratic to be relied upon on offense while defensively he is not that good of an individual defender compared to guys like Iguodala or even Ben.

Lol, Roco is playable on every team in the playoffs. I doubt there's a team in the league where he wouldn't start. It's an absolutely terrible take to suggest that he wouldn't be in the 8 man playoff rotation on any team other than the Rockets.

Last 3 games In our celts series:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5253/gamelog?selectedTable=0&season=2017

Maybe im wrong to say just the rockets. He is playable on teams with potent offense that may allow him to have nights off.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#364 » by TTP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 am

76ciology wrote:
TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Lol, Roco is playable on every team in the playoffs. I doubt there's a team in the league where he wouldn't start. It's an absolutely terrible take to suggest that he wouldn't be in the 8 man playoff rotation on any team other than the Rockets.

Maybe im wrong to say just the rockets. He is playable on teams with potent offense that may allow him to have nights off.

You're overvaluing a 3 game sample size from 3 years ago? You clearly don't understand 3 point variance at all. He literally just shot 50% from 3 this postseason, bringing him up to 40% for his career in the playoffs.

He would start on the Lakers tomorrow over KCP or Javale and it's not debatable.

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#365 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:20 am

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:
TTP wrote:

You're overvaluing a 3 game sample size from 3 years ago? You clearly don't understand 3 point variance at all. He literally just shot 50% from 3 this postseason, bringing him up to 40% for his career in the playoffs.

He would start on the Lakers tomorrow over KCP or Javale and it's not debatable.

He struggled badly when he was with us. And I think we need a more talented offensively and is better with individual defense than him.

But it’s definitely my bad to just lazily labeled him as not playable.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#366 » by TTP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:35 am

76ciology wrote:
TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:

He struggled badly when he was with us. And I think we need a more talented offensively and is better with individual defense than him.

He struggled badly for a few games in his first playoffs ever where we weren't using him properly. We used him to defend the point of attack because we were desperate and we had no one to stop Rozier, who was absolutely roasting us in the first few games of that series. Anyone competent should be able to realize that Covington's strength is not defending small, quick point guards, and anyone rational should realize not to judge a player's entire worth on one playoff series, especially one where he shot well below expectation.

Individual defense is important but overrated. Regardless, he's both a good individual defender and team defender. It's no surprise that our defense has cratered since we got rid of him.

I just don't understand how your judgement is influenced so much by one playoff series 3 years ago when he was absolutely dominant in the playoffs this year. It's like you're entrenched in your view and you don't adjust that view based on recent info. If you are so easily swayed by individual playoff series, you should think he's elite after the past month.

Ellington
Junior
And1: 158

Post#367 » by Ellington » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:03 pm

When are we going to hear Brand make a statement that he is actively trying to trade Horford?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#368 » by Arsenal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:07 pm

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:
TTP wrote:

He struggled badly for a few games in his first playoffs ever where we weren't using him properly. We used him to defend the point of attack because we were desperate and we had no one to stop Rozier, who was absolutely roasting us in the first few games of that series. Anyone competent should be able to realize that Covington's strength is not defending small, quick point guards, and anyone rational should realize not to judge a player's entire worth on one playoff series, especially one where he shot well below expectation.

Individual defense is important but overrated. Regardless, he's both a good individual defender and team defender. It's no surprise that our defense has cratered since we got rid of him.

I just don't understand how your judgement is influenced so much by one playoff series 3 years ago when he was absolutely dominant in the playoffs this year. It's like you're entrenched in your view and you don't adjust that view based on recent info. If you are so easily swayed by individual playoff series, you should think he's elite after the past month.

He's a propagandist with an agenda. That's why.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,861

Post#369 » by Stanford » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Ellington wrote:When are we going to hear Brand make a statement that he is actively trying to trade Horford?

Why the hell would a GM make that statement?
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#370 » by BB_Fan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Nobody will trade for Harris and Al. their contracts are horrible. With cap space shrinking who wants to have players who are net negative. Most likely trade will be for Embiid to reduce the cap.

76ers are cheap team and they cannot keep up a 145M salaty cap team and pay luxury cap.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#371 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:39 am

BB_Fan wrote:Nobody will trade for Harris and Al. their contracts are horrible. With cap space shrinking who wants to have players who are net negative. Most likely trade will be for Embiid to reduce the cap.

76ers are cheap team and they cannot keep up a 145M salaty cap team and pay luxury cap.

If Sixers hire D’antony then I could them trading Embiid for Wiggins, 2nd pick and next years minesotta’s pick.
Other wise be ready to eat crow when Horford is traded for jrue holiday or Chris Paul
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#372 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Is there a way for me to just set up an auto +1 for whenever TTP posts?
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#373 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:48 pm

BB_Fan wrote:Nobody will trade for Harris and Al. their contracts are horrible. With cap space shrinking who wants to have players who are net negative. Most likely trade will be for Embiid to reduce the cap.

Embiid is the best, most marketable player on the team. He carries more financial value to the team than his contract/luxury tax impact.

They paid a lot of money for Brett to go away and are looking at likely high priced replacements, so there's no indication that the team will go into cost cutting mode.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#374 » by BB_Fan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:08 pm

You think 76ers are not cheap. They sold second round picks for $. They are well over the salary cap and in luxury cap territory.

With no fans in stadium next year most of the teams will look to shed the payroll if they are in luxury tax territory. NBA Cap is coming lower and teams will look to dump salary.

NBA is a business at the end and no one wants to lose money if you don't have a championship team .
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#375 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 pm

BB_Fan wrote:You think 76ers are not cheap. They sold second round picks for $. They are well over the salary cap and in luxury cap territory.

With no fans in stadium next year most of the teams will look to shed the payroll if they are in luxury tax territory. NBA Cap is coming lower and teams will look to dump salary.

NBA is a business at the end and no one wants to lose money if you don't have a championship team .

And Embiid is a massive money maker for that business and for the value of the franchise. He's worth more than he is paid due to there being maximums on salaries. If they make cost cutting moves to the roster it will likely be dumping guys like Zhaire and Scott and selling 2nd rounders.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#376 » by BB_Fan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:28 pm

76ers were planning to institute salary reductions of up to 20 percent for full-time, salaried employees making at least $50,000 to save money. You must have read news in March.

NBA cap is set to drop next year and expect no revenue from ticket sales to fans. How is the team going to reduce its payroll from 145 M (current) to less than 130 M (below) luxury tax. they have to pay a new coach (7M) , Brett brown and a new president of basketball operations.

If you can find a way to reduce salary by 20M without taking back any salary I am all for it.

All NBA teams will have revenue issue and they all will be looking to shed payroll. NBA Cap is supposed to reduce next year.

I am just being practical.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#377 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:42 pm

BB_Fan wrote:76ers were planning to institute salary reductions of up to 20 percent for full-time, salaried employees making at least $50,000 to save money. You must have read news in March.

NBA cap is set to drop next year and expect no revenue from ticket sales to fans. How is the team going to reduce its payroll from 145 M (current) to less than 130 M (below) luxury tax. they have to pay a new coach (7M) , Brett brown and a new president of basketball operations.

If you can find a way to reduce salary by 20M without taking back any salary I am all for it.

All NBA teams will have revenue issue and they all will be looking to shed payroll. NBA Cap is supposed to reduce next year.

Nah, you're just trolling.

There's nothing practical about salary dumping your top revenue generator.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#378 » by BullyKing » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:39 pm

youngcrev wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:76ers were planning to institute salary reductions of up to 20 percent for full-time, salaried employees making at least $50,000 to save money. You must have read news in March.

Nah, you're just trolling.

There's nothing practical about salary dumping your top revenue generator.

By this guy's logic, if you need to cut money, quit your job so you save on the commute costs.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#379 » by BB_Fan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Tell me a practical scenario how 76ers are going to cut payroll cost. The ownership is cheap as they were willing to cut salary of employees to save money

They have a 145 M payroll already and would need to shed at least 15 M to come below luxury tax. They have to pay two coaches (Brett Brown) and anew coach who will ask above 5 M /Year (minimum).

Every NBA team is looking to shed salary as revenue will take a hit (China & COVID 19). NBA is a business and owners are not to lose money.

I am open to your suggestion on shedding salary .
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#380 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:17 pm

BB_Fan wrote:Tell me a practical scenario how 76ers are going to cut payroll cost. The ownership is cheap as they were willing to cut salary of employees to save money

They have a 145 M payroll already and would need to shed at least 15 M to come below luxury tax. They have to pay two coaches (Brett Brown) and anew coach who will ask above 5 M /Year (minimum).

Every NBA team is looking to shed salary as revenue will take a hit (China & COVID 19). NBA is a business and owners are not to lose money.

I am open to your suggestion on shedding salary .

I don't even know why I'm responding, but yes, the NBA is a business. Now think about how that business makes money, and think about how important a franchise player is towards that goal. I'll give you a hint, the Embiid's of the league are worth far more than they get paid to play. His salary is held down by a league imposed maximum.

As for other means to cut salary, if that is indeed a mandate (without crippling the product they are trying to sell):

Josh Richardson makes 10.8M. They could easily get out of that and get a future asset back from a team with cap space or a T.E.

Zhaire and Scott make 8.2M combined. The team could pay minor assets to get off of that money.

There's your practical way to cut salary without completely destroying the team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers