ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 La clippers = 2011 Miami heat

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

2019 La clippers = 2011 Miami heat 

Post#1 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:10 pm

I think that this year's clippers are related to the Miami heat who lost to the mavs in the NBA finals. There were huge expectations for both teams but they collapse. Maybe next year the clippers might win it all. What do you all feel about it?
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Re: 2019 La clippers = 2011 Miami heat 

Post#2 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm

James2000 wrote:I think that this year's clippers are related to the Miami heat who lost to the mavs in the NBA finals. There were huge expectations for both teams but they collapse. Maybe next year the Clippers might win it all. What do you all feel about it?

First, Welcome to the website!! 8-)

Yeah, very good friend of mine was telling me the same.
You do have a valid point. Both teams were overconfident and there was so much hype - maybe it got to them.
I really think next year will be much better for the Clippers...
James2000
Sophomore

Post#3 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks for saying that... appreciate your warm message. I think that they haven't had experience with handling the pressure of being the favorite. The team need to have or develop their hunger wanting to be the best and not settle. They were over confident. I feel like that the expectation got into their head and haven't arrived.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#4 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:06 pm

James2000 wrote:Thanks for saying that... appreciate your warm message. I think that they haven't had experience with handling the pressure of being the favorite. The team need to have or develop their hunger wanting to be the best and not settle. They were over confident. I feel like that the expectation got into their head and haven't arrived.

You're very welcome, man.
And yeah, I absolutely agree - the expectation and the hype got into their head.
James2000
Sophomore

Post#5 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm

So would you like to see the clippers resign Marcus Morris?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#6 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:28 pm

That Heat team at least made it to the Finals. They didn't get humiliated in the second round. They had a much better coach who made adjustments, and they had peak LeBron who was better than anyone on this team (even Kawhi). On top of that, they had veteran leaders like Wade, Haslem, and (later) Ray Allen who had championship experience. We have a bunch of regular season guys like PG, Lou and Trez. It's not a very good comparison.
James2000
Sophomore

Post#7 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Well, what I feel like that they need is an very intense difficult training camp this offseason. They need to go back to do fundamentals and take them to the old school training camp because those camps brought the toughness to them.
jengmann3
Freshman
And1: 86

Post#8 » by jengmann3 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:33 am

I understand this comparison. I do think that D Wade and Lebron were better players than Kawhi and PG. And Bosh is a much greater 3rd piece than anyone on the Clips. But similarly both teams went big in an off-season, had high expectations, and ultimately failed to reach those expectations. Both teams were also really up and down during the regular season. Chicago was actually the 1 seed that year, which is why I did think D Rose deserved MVP. And the heat had some big losing streaks and embarassing losses. They were somehow able to flip a switch in the playoffs to reach the finals, tho Rondo and Shaq got injured for Boston, and then D Rose just struggled in his first conference finals. I think one key thing is, it was clear in 2011, Miami had the Big 3 core, and they had to figure everything else out. They needed to figure out whether they needed a point guard, or if Lebron was going to spend more time there. They needed to figure out if they were going to play more small ball to spread the floor for Bron and D Wade more cuz neither were shooters at all at the time. Similarly the Clips have PG and Kawhi and now they have to figure the rest out. Mike Miller, UD, and Chalmers proved to be staples, perhaps in a way that Lou, Trez, and Pat Bev could've been/ may be. Alternatively they followed that disappointing off season by getting Shane Battier which unlocked a lot of things for them. Probably most importantly, Lebron also simply got better. I'm not sure if the whole D Wade passed the keys to Lebron story was as significant as everyone says, but it was a bit more 1-2 punch than 1A and 1B in the second season. It will be interesting to see how Kawhi responds to the biggest failure of his career thus far (no shade, still think he's big time). Also I know Spo got a lot of criticism that year, but its interesting to compare Doc and Spo as coaches.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Can’t see it with the 3-1 collapse aspect and history. Spo was still a new coach and didn’t have the culture of failure within the organization like Doc so there was room for growth
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,047

A Deeper Look 

Post#10 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 am

For the Clippers outlook to be exactly like LeBron's first year with the Heat (or similar), we have to look at what changed and how:

Constants: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthony, Udonis Haslem, Juwan Howard, James Jones, Mike Miller, Dexter Pittman, Erik Spoelstra (Coach)
2011 Going Count: Mike Bibby, Erick Dampier, Eddie House, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jamaal Magloire
2012 Coming Count: 5 || Shane Battier, Norris Cole, Eddy Curry, Terrel Harris, Ronny Turiaf

- Chalmers, Howard, and Jones were retained after entering free agency.
- Cole was a rookie, drafted 28th in the 1st round by the Chicago Bulls. His arrival was a draft day trade, giving up Bojan Bogdanovic (2nd round, 31st overall), a 2014 2nd round pick, and cash considerations.
- In 2011, Heat completed five trade transactions. In 2012, there was just one trade. There were no mid-season trades.
- On the 2011 buyout front, Bibby was in the twilight of his career. He would join the Knicks for the 2012 lockout season, then retired. Miami would not do the buyout market for 2012.
- Spoestra began coaching in 2008. He went through two 1st round exits, an NBA Finals loss, and threats of being replaced, though he was only entering his third season as coach. Riley's trust in him worked out, finally winning in 2012 lockout season.

We'll revisit this again after we see what the Clippers do in the bubble agency period.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#11 » by Clemenza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 am

That Heat team still made it to the Finals tho
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#12 » by KL78192020 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 pm

Heat had a coach that made adjustments and fixed the team the next year. Doc well not so much, hes been coaching for a long time now and don't see him changing anything. The 1st and only step for the team is to change coaches, then worry about the roster.
James2000
Sophomore

Post#13 » by James2000 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 pm

Well, both teams gave into the pressure of the expectation of winning an NBA championship. I feel like that maybe give them next season. If they don't win NBA title, then get rid of doc. However, with Doc staying, he need to get someone like a tibbs to coordinate the defense
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#14 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 pm

James2000 wrote:Well, both teams gave into the pressure of the expectation of winning an NBA championship. I feel like that maybe give them next season. If they don't win NBA title, then get rid of doc.

Why waste another season of Kawhi's prime when it's already obvious that running this back won't work? The West is going to be better next season, so right off the bat, our chances of winning a title are lower than they were this season. And if this team and coach couldn't handle THIS season, just imagine how bad next season is going to be when they're facing more pressure, scrutiny and mockery than any other team in NBA history.
James2000
Sophomore

Post#15 » by James2000 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
James2000 wrote:Well, both teams gave into the pressure of the expectation of winning an NBA championship. I feel like that maybe give them next season. If they don't win NBA title, then get rid of doc.

Why waste another season of Kawhi's prime when it's already obvious that running this back won't work? The West is going to be better next season, so right off the bat, our chances of winning a title are lower than they were this season. And if this team and coach couldn't handle THIS season, just imagine how bad next season is going to be when they're facing more pressure, scrutiny and mockery than any other team in NBA history.

I agree with you. However, what is our options? Right now, there is talk that the Greek freak is considering coming to the clippers based upon the mutual respect for one another
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#16 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:59 pm

James2000 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

I agree with you. However, what is our options? Right now, there is talk that the Greek freak is considering coming to the clippers based upon the mutual respect for one another

Catering to diva superstars is why we have no control over our draft picks for the next seven years. Hell, catering to stars is how we got stuck with Doc in the first place.

I like Giannis, but being a doormat for the stars has not gotten the Clippers any further in the playoffs than they've been before. It's time for this franchise to do what's best for their own chances of winning.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#17 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Two teams that acquired multiple superstars and fell short of championship aspirations- it's a very good analogy IMO. Obviously we're not totally alike, but it's a good analogy. Maybe we underachieved more, OTOH Miami was more talented. We have different issues than them going into the offseason. It took a year for Miami to really hit its stride, let's see what happens here.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#18 » by TheNewEra » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:48 am

Spo is a superior x and o coach
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#19 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:00 am

i'd just go with

spo is a superior coach
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#20 » by NippySudz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:46 am

nickhx2 wrote:i'd just go with

spo is a superior coach

agreed

I love Erik Spo and have loved him for a long time. Always underrated coach. I don't care if its part bubble effect, part coaching, look how he's able to get the most out of his players. Boston is a more talented team than miami heat. Boston has 4-5 guys that can get their own shot. Guys that can create for others, and sound defensively. On paper, they're better than the heat.

Yet the Heat is up 3-1. Nick nurse took this boston roster to seven games. He's a good coach. Here erik spoelstra is possibly going to end these guys in 5 games. He makes the adjustments when they need to be made. He doesn't care about feelings. When its time to trust his guys, he does. When its time to yank, he yanks. He has a fine balance of letting the rope go and reeling it in.

And guess what?! Miami heat players don't take it personal! It's about winning. They don't care. That's the culture they built. People defending the trezz move as doc believing in his guy or didn't want trezz to lose confidence need to stop already.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers