ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Fire Doc Rivers thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: Official Fire Doc Rivers thread 

Post#341 » by nickhx2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 am

yeah. he lost the team and he was a wretched coach. whatever the case, he's gone, and doc's here and our current problem is how to get rid of him lol
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#342 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:40 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Vinny was never getting another season. The players wanted him fired. And he was a terrible coach too. The mistake wasn't firing him, it was letting CP3 essentially run the coaching search. He demanded either Doc or Byron Scott, and the rest was history.

I didn't have an issue hiring Doc. My issue is how many lives is Ballmer going to give this guy.

Ballmer needs to realize that it has been 6 years and nearly $2.5B invested and he has nothing to show for as an owner other than three 2nd round exit.
Some owners would take that any day, but after spending a fortune you have to expect more.

How long do you think it'll take him to realize that and do something about it?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#343 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Still feels like a nightmare the front office did nothing to bring excitement for next season. The lakers can very well win a title with a new coach and major turnover and we roll out the same BS
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 524

Post#344 » by Kelphus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Kelphus wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I kind of wanted to see Vinny the black get one more year with the team. We won what 56 games that year? Doc came in and tore the team apart. The horrific Sterling incident then Doc became coach and gm and made some of the worst moves ever

Vinny was never getting another season. The players wanted him fired. And he was a terrible coach too. The mistake wasn't firing him, it was letting CP3 essentially run the coaching search. He demanded either Doc or Byron Scott, and the rest was history.

First time (and probably the last) I agree with MTV. That can only mean one thing. The Big One is coming, make sure your disaster supplies are all in place.

Given what happened about 11:30 p.m. Friday night, I promise I will never agree with MTV again... for all of our safety... at least it was only a 4.6
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#345 » by nickhx2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:52 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Still feels like a nightmare the front office did nothing to bring excitement for next season. The lakers can very well win a title with a new coach and major turnover and we roll out the same BS

it's days later and it still feels unreal lol

whatever i guess. many worse things in life to worry about. i gotta just move on.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

Two Ways 

Post#346 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:19 pm

nickhx2 wrote:yeah. he lost the team and he was a wretched coach. whatever the case, he's gone, and doc's here and our current problem is how to get rid of him lol

There are two ways:

1. A 10-game losing streak: Doc Rivers was fired by the Magic in 2003.
2. A 3-0 deficit: While Doc River teams have never been swept in the playoffs, automatically losing to the Knicks via 3-0 deficit sealed his fate. Instead of being fired, Danny Ainge convinced him to take the Clippers coaching job, so a trade was made.

Keep in mind, Doc's greatest dream as a coach is to be the first to come back from a 3-0 deficit. He almost pulled it off vs. Knicks (lost 4-2).
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#347 » by LamarWho » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:01 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Still feels like a nightmare the front office did nothing to bring excitement for next season. The lakers can very well win a title with a new coach and major turnover and we roll out the same BS

Where the f*** is our FO? It's been almost a week since our nightmare finish to the season. I have yet to hear them making some sort of public statement addressing the fans. Getting really tired of this Steve NoBallmer guy. All he does is talk the talk.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#348 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:01 pm

LamarWho wrote:

Where the f*** is our FO? It's been almost a week since our nightmare finish to the season. I have yet to hear them making some sort of public statement addressing the fans. Getting really tired of this Steve NoBallmer guy. All he does is talk the talk.

He's all talk, just like the players. Remember that "I love Larry" speech when he bought the team? If he actually cared about winning, he'd be as furious and embarrassed about Doc's playoff results as the fans are.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#349 » by donemilio21 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Shaliq wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
NickP wrote:I didn't have an issue hiring Doc. My issue is how many lives is Ballmer going to give this guy.

Ballmer needs to realize that it has been 6 years and nearly $2.5B invested and he has nothing to show for as an owner other than three 2nd round exit.
Some owners would take that any day, but after spending a fortune you have to expect more.

Ballmer does not strike me as a guy who knows and understands the game of basketball a whole that well. I'm sure he would buy, if Doc told him that they need to upgrade the roster and current roster is not enough.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#350 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:22 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Shaliq wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Ballmer needs to realize that it has been 6 years and nearly $2.5B invested and he has nothing to show for as an owner other than three 2nd round exit.

Ballmer does not strike me as a guy who knows and understands the game of basketball a whole that well. I'm sure he would buy, if Doc told him that they need to upgrade the roster and current roster is not enough.

That's not what we were told when he bought the team. He was supposedly a huge basketball fan (even coached his kid's youth basketball team) and it was a big reason why he even wanted to buy the Clippers.

At the end of the day, he's just not hungry enough for a championship. He's cool with the mediocrity Doc gives him. He believes every excuse, no matter how asinine it is, because it's easier for him to do that than finally move on from Doc.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#351 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Ballmer, to me, has always struck me as a guy that moves slowly.

So he let Doc rot in the POBO role. I believe he said it was after having a discussion with Paul Allen ( a guy he trusted) that he finally realized Doc couldn't be in both roles. Then he removed him from that role.

Well, Paul Allen is no longer with us (plus he was the competition), so I dunno who he can lean on to tell him that Doc isn't that guy.

If there's no trusted person in his ear saying we need to move on, I'm sure most of what he hears is that Doc is a good coach....well respected around the league....guys want to play for Doc....player's coach....one of only a handful of coaches that has won it all...blah blah blah blah.

I can only hope Jerry "What's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right" West will sit with him at some point and give him a dose of reality.

This team needs to move on and fast.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#352 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:27 pm

I think doc should be fired for sure. Fallen short of expectations way too spectacularly several times. The only way you keep him is if Kawhi really wants to keep him. If Kawhi might leave because they fire doc, then I guess you have to figure out a way to make it work.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#353 » by Clemenza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 am

donemilio21 wrote:
Shaliq wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Ballmer needs to realize that it has been 6 years and nearly $2.5B invested and he has nothing to show for as an owner other than three 2nd round exit.

But the still has Jerry West and Lawrence Frank there to tell him if Doc is selling him wolf tickets. Its not just Ballmer and Doc
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#354 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I think doc should be fired for sure. Fallen short of expectations way too spectacularly several times. The only way you keep him is if Kawhi really wants to keep him. If Kawhi might leave because they fire doc, then I guess you have to figure out a way to make it work.

If Kawhi and Doc are really a package deal, then having Kawhi is pointless, because Doc will never win anything with him.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,728

Post#355 » by maternal85 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
Shaliq wrote:How long do you think it'll take him to realize that and do something about it?

That's not what we were told when he bought the team. He was supposedly a huge basketball fan (even coached his kid's youth basketball team) and it was a big reason why he even wanted to buy the Clippers.

At the end of the day, he's just not hungry enough for a championship. He's cool with the mediocrity Doc gives him. He believes every excuse, no matter how asinine it is, because it's easier for him to do that than finally move on from Doc.

He's running this team like his other businesses. In his capitalists world he can outbid anyone and get what he wants. In the NBA you have to be strategic.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#356 » by NickP » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 am

I have said this many times and I'll repeat it again. Doc has established himself as a father figure in this league. He's spoken very strongly about BLM and his support for that cause and his support for the players. His post game comments are more about social issues than the game itself. Most of the coaches fired didn't take that stance. Ballmer is caught between a rock and a hard place.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#357 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:42 am

NickP wrote:I have said this many times and I'll repeat it again. Doc has established himself as a father figure in this league. He's spoken very strongly about BLM and his support for that cause and his support for the players. His post game comments are more about social issues than the game itself. Most of the coaches fired didn't take that stance. Ballmer is caught between a rock and a hard place.

He's really not. Nobody would complain about a terrible basketball coach getting fired from their job as a basketball coach regardless of their political/social opinions.

There's just always an excuse for Ballmer to avoid making the tough, but necessary decision to move on from Doc.
NickP
Rookie

Post#358 » by NickP » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:13 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NickP wrote:I have said this many times and I'll repeat it again. Doc has established himself as a father figure in this league. He's spoken very strongly about BLM and his support for that cause and his support for the players. His post game comments are more about social issues than the game itself. Most of the coaches fired didn't take that stance. Ballmer is caught between a rock and a hard place.

He's really not. Nobody would complain about a terrible basketball coach getting fired from their job as a basketball coach regardless of their political/social opinions.

There's just always an excuse for Ballmer to avoid making the tough, but necessary decision to move on from Doc.

Ballmer acquired the team since DTS was deemed a racist and made to sell his team under those circumstances. Ballmer cannot take those chances in today's climate. Also someone here posted that maybe Doc gets fired after a 10 game losing streak. Now we all know that ain't happening.
Doc needs to resign but he won't, because he has no dignity.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#359 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm

NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Ballmer acquired the team since DTS was deemed a racist and made to sell his team under those circumstances. Ballmer cannot take those chances in today's climate. Also someone here posted that maybe Doc gets fired after a 10 game losing streak. Now we all know that ain't happening.

Nobody would actually think Ballmer's a racist for firing Doc. He has already been far more loyal to Doc than most franchises would be with his historically awful playoff results.

This is all just another convenient excuse for Ballmer to avoid making the decision that needs to be made. No different than chasing hopes that other stars (Giannis) MIGHT want to play for him in the future, clinging on to the championship he was carried to 12 years ago, blaming injuries or the bubble, etc. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, Ballmer is scared of moving on from Doc no matter how much he gets this franchise embarrassed in the playoffs.
NickP
Rookie

Post#360 » by NickP » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:He's really not. Nobody would complain about a terrible basketball coach getting fired from their job as a basketball coach regardless of their political/social opinions.

Nobody would actually think Ballmer's a racist for firing Doc. He has already been far more loyal to Doc than most franchises would be with his historically awful playoff results.

This is all just another convenient excuse for Ballmer to avoid making the decision that needs to be made. No different than chasing hopes that other stars (Giannis) MIGHT want to play for him in the future, clinging on to the championship he was carried to 12 years ago, blaming injuries or the bubble, etc. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, Ballmer is scared of moving on from Doc no matter how much he gets this franchise embarrassed in the playoffs.

Yeah I hear you and you're 100% right about everything. Look, Doc could have been an extremely good used car salesman. He could sell you ice in Siberia. Many reasons why Doc is still around.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers