2020-2021 Roster if no Trades

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: 2020-2021 Roster if no Trades 

Post#21 » by pacers33granger » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:23 am

I'm not sure where else to put it and it's not necessarily worthy of its own thread, but it's disappointing that Domas didn't get a single all nba team vote. He shouldn't have gotten on a team, bit Lavine, Drummond, and Brook Lopez got votes.

Putting it here as it somewhat relates to our roster going forward given guys rightfully wanting recognition.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:21 am

Some other names that I would personally keep an eye on in free agency. I would be looking for a backup 4, and another backup wing (if Holiday walks), and focusing on guys that would be anywhere from vet minimum salaries up to the max of the MLE. I'm going to assume that Jerami Grant is more than the MLE, and out of our range.

In terms of backup 4:
Bruno Caboclo
Mo Harkless
Jae Crowder
Solo Hill
JaMychael Green (player option, would likely want close to a full MLE to opt out?)
Patrick Patterson
Demarre Carroll
Paul Millsap

Backup Wing:
Derrick Jones Jr.
Glenn Robinson III
Pat Connaughton
Alec Burks
Kent Bazemore
Deandre' Bembry (possibly restricted)
John Konchar (possibly restricted)
Shaquille Harrison (should be restricted by Chicago)

Some of these guys are minimum guys, and some are closer to MLE, but in our price range, these are guys I would at least check in on for these kinds of roles. Some are younger, some are older, too. But, they make me look more positively at Justin Holiday and Jakarr Sampson.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#23 » by Moooose » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:16 am

On the free agents, I'd want the Pacers to re-sign Justin Holiday as an insurance to Jeremy Lamb's recovery. I also believe that it is about time that we give Alize some burn and be that replacement to Sampson. We need rebounding and I think Alize can help.

On the signed players, the only odd man out is Leaf, IMO. If some other teams want him, I'd trade him for a pick. I understand the frustrations with McConnell and McDermott, but they are still serviceable nonetheless. McConnell is the only legit playmaker we have. I still see Holiday as more of a shooting guard who can play point. I am also impressed with the development of Sumner, that kid's living up to his potential.

On the two-way contracts, I am still not sold on Bowen.

On the draft (which I always like), this year's draft is very interesting as it is complete chaos mid in the 1st and into the 2nd round. There isn't too much time and ways to evaluate prospects, as compared before. And for that reason, I think a lot of gems would go undrafted. There are two prospects I like at 54 - Jordan Nwora from Louisville and Malik Fitts from Saint Mary's. Fitts is really interesting, if one is to observe his game. A bit older at 23 and plays like a pro.

On the free agents, I only want a back-up 4/5 as an insurance. A bruising, respected veteran who can teach Myles and Goga a thing or two about toughness and rebounding in practices, and can play alongside Domas too.

Overall, I think the depth is good. On the other hand, I also think the rotation can be made smaller, if need be. And so we have trade chips we can use in 2 for 1 trades to get upgrades to complete a shallow, yet effective rotation.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#24 » by Topofthekey » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:18 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Spoiler:
Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I wouldn’t say he’s a future star. He’s a deadly long range shooter that otherwise has a pretty nondescript game in most every other aspect. Not a good defender. But, they knew how to hide and minimize his weaknesses so that he could just absolutely obliterate on long range shooting.

I don't think he's a future star either

But some Heat posters do

As you said, the Heat is doing a great job at maximizing his effectiveness, while hiding all his flaws

In fairness to them, I haven’t seen that. I’ve seen them rightfully state that his value on court, at his low contract (and eventual low corresponding cap hold in free agency) is worth much more to them than possibly trading him now. I mean, an ultimate offensive threat, that they know how to use, at the minimum salary for multiple years? That’s pretty awesome to have.

Came across this today:

Wouldn't think about sacrificing either Duncan Robinson or Tyler Herro for Jrue Holliday in a trade package. And I like Jrue a whole lot. But those two are just non starters.

Quoted one of their forum mods

So while they might not have used the exact word star to describe Duncan Robinson, statements like these give us a good picture of how highly do they regard Duncan Robinson (pretty highly)

As I said, I'm not holding it against them. Just pointing out how under the right coach and system, a player like Duncan Robinson went from being a one dimensional role player to someone who they wouldn't trade for Jrue Holiday, an established All Star

Hopefully the next Pacers HC can similarly maximize the strength of the players on the roster
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#25 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Some other names that I would personally keep an eye on in free agency. I would be looking for a backup 4, and another backup wing (if Holiday walks), and focusing on guys that would be anywhere from vet minimum salaries up to the max of the MLE. I'm going to assume that Jerami Grant is more than the MLE, and out of our range.

In terms of backup 4:
Bruno Caboclo
Mo Harkless
Jae Crowder
Solo Hill
JaMychael Green (player option, would likely want close to a full MLE to opt out?)
Patrick Patterson
Demarre Carroll
Paul Millsap

Most of these guys are older than I'm wanting. I think Patterson has even announced his retirement. But if Crowder o Millsap would take the MLE, I'd be very happy.

Still I hope we'll find a young guy. I mentioned Woods before and no one seemed to care. Vonleh might work but I'm not sure I'd be thinking of him were he not a Hoosier. Anyone got other young names?

Scoot McGroot wrote:Backup Wing:
Derrick Jones Jr.
Glenn Robinson III
Pat Connaughton
Alec Burks
Kent Bazemore

Glenn would certainly be welcomed back. I really like Derrick Jones, Jr. because I see him defending 4's for Miami so he might fill both needs.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Some other names that I would personally keep an eye on in free agency. I would be looking for a backup 4, and another backup wing (if Holiday walks), and focusing on guys that would be anywhere from vet minimum salaries up to the max of the MLE. I'm going to assume that Jerami Grant is more than the MLE, and out of our range.

In terms of backup 4:
Bruno Caboclo
Mo Harkless
Jae Crowder
Solo Hill
Patrick Patterson
Demarre Carroll
Paul Millsap

Most of these guys are older than I'm wanting. I think Patterson has even announced his retirement. But if Crowder o Millsap would take the MLE, I'd be very happy.

Still I hope we'll find a young guy. I mentioned Woods before and no one seemed to care. Vonleh might work but I'm not sure I'd be thinking of him were he not a Hoosier. Anyone got other young names?

Scoot McGroot wrote:Backup Wing:
Derrick Jones Jr.
Glenn Robinson III
Pat Connaughton
Alec Burks
Kent Bazemore

Glenn would certainly be welcomed back. I really like Derrick Jones, Jr. because I see him defending 4's for Miami so he might fill both needs.

I’ll be honest, I ignored Christian Wood because reports have him in the $15-20m range, and Detroit likely to keep him, kind of like Gallinari and possibly Jerami Grant (likely close to $12-17m range).

But yeah, Derrick Jones Jr strikes me as a real utility guy. More defense than offense, but his 3 is valid enough to be a threat. And young.

I also think Caboclo could really be a solid guy if a team were to truly invest in him, and he’s young. At the least, he can defend right now.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Okay, I'll forget Woods and Grant as over our budget. Coboclo is the kind of idea I'm looking for but I bet Pritchard surprises. Who saw Jakaar coming?

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Wizop wrote:Okay, I'll forget Woods and Grant as over our budget. Coboclo is the kind of idea I'm looking for but I bet Pritchard surprises. Who saw Jakaar coming?

Sent from my phone.

Oh absolutely. I definitely see him finding a vet Minimum or two, and every year he’s surprised me a bit.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,823

Post#29 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 am

What do you guys think of a Powell for Turner one-for-one swap?
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#30 » by Moooose » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:56 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:What do you guys think of a Powell for Turner one-for-one swap?

Personally, I'd take that offer ONLY IF we can deal Victor for Myles' replacement in the frontcourt.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,823

Post#31 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:01 am

Moooose wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:What do you guys think of a Powell for Turner one-for-one swap?

Personally, I'd take that offer ONLY IF we can deal Victor for Myles' replacement in the frontcourt.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Dipo would HAVE to get moved for a big man.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#32 » by Topofthekey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 am

Moooose wrote:

I'd like to see him sustain his output for at least another season or two before assigning him any trade value

Remember, just earlier this season he was thought of as a bad contract

Trading for him now is like trading for bubble TJ Warren
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 pm

about the same as you'd think of a Turner for Siakam swap.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Moooose wrote:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Dipo would HAVE to get moved for a big man.

Not too hot on it. Selling quite low on Turner and setting ourselves up for Powell to walk, or get overpaid ASAP while creating a massive hole at the PF, and overfilling a position with Oladipo/AHoliday/Lamb/Sumner and hopefully a re signed JHoliday already there. It’d have to be Part of a heavy overhaul of the roster if we tore it down again this summer like we did last summer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 pm

Off topic just a bit, but since it comes up often.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/2020/09/21/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-his-fishers-mansion/5805201002/?itm_medium=recirc&itm_source=taboola&itm_campaign=internal&itm_content=RightRailArticleThumbnails-Redesign

Gordon Hayward recently (July 2019) bought a $3.3m home in the Hawthorne's in Fishers. No word on who is living there.

Why Hayward bought the Fishers home is unknown. He declined through a Celtics spokesperson a request from IndyStar to talk about the house.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 pm

With no college tournament, I mostly watched IU and Butler limiting the players I've seen. Everyone is saying it's a weak draft but that may just be an lack of obvious superstars. But we don't need a superstar, not that you'd turn one down. Based solely on who gave IU fits Oturu from MN and Smith from MD could be worth buying in for. And at 54, Butler's Baldwin could be a two-way.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Off topic just a bit, but since it comes up often.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/2020/09/21/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-his-fishers-mansion/5805201002/?itm_medium=recirc&itm_source=taboola&itm_campaign=internal&itm_content=RightRailArticleThumbnails-Redesign

Gordon Hayward recently (July 2019) bought a $3.3m home in the Hawthorne's in Fishers. No word on who is living there.

Why Hayward bought the Fishers home is unknown. He declined through a Celtics spokesperson a request from IndyStar to talk about the house.
Could be for his or her parents.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:07 pm

From The Athletics Zach Harper in his Panic Meters article:

Indiana Pacers — 2 out of 10 on the panic meter

Maybe the Pacers were never going to beat the Miami Heat in the first round, but injuries marred everything they were trying to build. Domantas Sabonis wasn’t available in the bubble. Victor Oladipo was still working his way back. Jeremy Lamb was out. Guys were in and out of the lineup. I guess there’s some concern that the Pacers won’t make the right coaching hire after getting rid of Nate McMillan. But this team wants to see what they’ve got with a healthy roster before worrying about potentially losing Oladipo in 2021 free agency.

https://theathletic.com/2083849/2020/09/23/which-teams-eliminated-from-the-playoffs-are-panicking-the-most/?source=user_shared_article

Return to Indiana Pacers