ImageImageImage

2020 playoff - Western Conference FINAL: [3]Denver Nuggets vs [1]LA Lakers

Moderator: THE J0KER

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,176

Re: 2020 playoff - Western Conference FINAL: [3]Denver Nuggets vs [1]LA Lakers 

Post#21 » by Mickey8 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:51 am

I have told you that Jokic could struggle against Lakers front court , even though in the game 1 he was taken out by the bad officiating as I said before, Jokic has to draw Howard outside of the paint , he didnt attempt one three point shot in the game , and he has to start to shoot them , that will open the floor for the Nuggets and Howard will be out of the Laker rotation, I wasnt impressed by Lakers that much , they had favorable officiating and Denver was still in the game in the third quarter until Millsap blew up that open lay up, the Nuggets have to adjust to bad officiating even if it means for Jokic and Murray not playing any kind of defense, because they are not allowed to do that , they have to adjust of being pushed and hit hard every time by the Lakers goon squad , without lakers players not being called for that , I still think Denver can make the series here but they have to have a better game plan.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#22 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Mickey8 wrote:I have told you that Jokic could struggle against Lakers front court , even though in the game 1 he was taken out by the bad officiating as I said before, Jokic has to draw Howard outside of the paint , he didnt attempt one three point shot in the game , and he has to start to shoot them , that will open the floor for the Nuggets and Howard will be out of the Laker rotation, I wasnt impressed by Lakers that much , they had favorable officiating and Denver was still in the game in the third quarter until Millsap blew up that open lay up, the Nuggets have to adjust to bad officiating even if it means for Jokic and Murray not playing any kind of defense, because they are not allowed to do that , they have to adjust of being pushed and hit hard every time by the Lakers goon squad , without lakers players not being called for that , I still think Denver can make the series here but they have to have a better game plan.

Shooting 72% is struggling? The refs took Jokic out of the game, both in the 1st half with 2 out of 3 calls blatantly bad calls and a bad call to start the 3rd, the Lakers did not stop Jokic. Hell they didn't stop Murray either, the refs did. If the refs are not going to allow the Nuggets to play defense than they deserve the terrible ratings and half the league folding when it comes time for them to renew their TV deal, half the country refuses to watch the NBA because they already think it is fixed.

Guys were not hitting shots on pass outs, that will change.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#23 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Lakers shot just a little better. Foul calls were almost even in terms of numbers called, but it was where the fouls were called - and not called that made the biggest difference in the game. The other big difference was the lack of passing by the Nuggets. Guys were busy trying to score and not playing with enough movement IMO.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#24 » by THE J0KER » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:57 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Lakers shot just a little better. Foul calls were almost even in terms of numbers called, but it was where the fouls were called - and not called that made the biggest difference in the game. The other big difference was the lack of passing by the Nuggets. Guys were busy trying to score and not playing with enough movement IMO.

When it matters the most, in the 1st half, at the moment when Jokic/Murray/Millsap all three are benched because of 3 fouls, LeBron has zero AD just one. Lakers shot 32 free throws in 1st half, Nuggets just 16. In 2nd half, especially once Lakers reached 20+ lead criteria were changed and were even in Denver favor. The first real foul Jokic made is in the middle of the 3rd quarter when he already collected 4 fouls and officials didn't call that obvious foul on Davis. Farce!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#25 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:58 am

Hey Nuggets fans. I spent that half watching MPJ on defense. He's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. His effort level reminds me of watching prime Monta Ellis under Don Nelson.

Is he totally disinterested or just utterly clueless?

There was one play where he stood under the bucket ball watching while his man spaced out for a three. Murray scrambled out to the shooter and it missed luckily but the look of disgust on Murray's face said it all. And that was just one of many, many instances of apparent incompetence.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#26 » by THE J0KER » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:14 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Is he totally disinterested or just utterly clueless?

MPJ didn't play enough minutes in his rookie season (before bubble restart), especially not against opponent starters, and he missed his college career, so he sometimes looks literally in defense silly like a high-school player. But he is already much more useful than it seems because he is a very gifted rebounder, and when he playing SF he is much taller than opponent but enough mobile (Durant effect).
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#27 » by manchambo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 am

If I’m the coach my message is: this is our team vs. their team with a fair whistle. It takes a miracle shot for LA to win. We can beat them in any game, including the next 4 to finish this off in 6.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:45 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Hey Nuggets fans. I spent that half watching MPJ on defense. He's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. His effort level reminds me of watching prime Monta Ellis under Don Nelson.

There was one play where he stood under the bucket ball watching while his man spaced out for a three. Murray scrambled out to the shooter and it missed luckily but the look of disgust on Murray's face said it all. And that was just one of many, many instances of apparent incompetence.

He has lapses, and periods where he just looks disinterested, than he suddenly will play great defense for stretches against guys like Lebron, Kawhi, and George. It is weird how good he can look at times but others he will look totally lost and disinterested.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#29 » by skywalker33 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Hey Nuggets fans. I spent that half watching MPJ on defense. He's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. His effort level reminds me of watching prime Monta Ellis under Don Nelson.

WOW, such astute observations, we would have NEVER know that if not for you. You DO realize he's basically a rookie coming off a serious back injury, right ....how many rookies have the same level of defense as say, Kawhi ??? All GSW rookies ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#30 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:57 am

skywalker33 wrote:

WOW, such astute observations, we would have NEVER know that if not for you. You DO realize he's basically a rookie coming off a serious back injury, right ....how many rookies have the same level of defense as say, Kawhi ??? All GSW rookies ??

You gotta problem with me pointing it out? What the eff's the matter with you?

And there is a middle ground between MPJ and Kawhi, you know that right? Plenty of rookies come in with a ton of hustle. How long has he been exposed to NBA defensive principles, a year+? He looks both clueless and disinterested and there's no excuse for that.

How are teammates supposed to respond to a second year player totally failing on defense and then calling for more shots? Pathetic.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

You gotta problem with me pointing it out? What the eff's the matter with you?

And there is a middle ground between MPJ and Kawhi, you know that right? Plenty of rookies come in with a ton of hustle. How long has he been exposed to NBA defensive principles, a year+? He looks both clueless and disinterested and there's no excuse for that.

How are teammates supposed to respond to a second year player totally failing on defense and then calling for more shots? Pathetic.

Sorry GQ Hot Dog, but you visit another team's board just to slam a rookie? Get a life. Rookies need to learn. That's commonly said in the NBA world and everyone knows that.

Go take a look at some stats. Porter's regular season had better DWS than Steph Curry in his rookie year and a little worse DBPM. He had 1/3 of the minutes Curry had. But you can't compare their playoff stats because Curry wasn't in the playoffs his rookie year. He was on a rebuilding team. Porter joined a solid team. Porter's defensive stats in the playoffs this year are equal to or better than Curry's first playoff year.

I'd suggest you come in with a slightly gentler approach on another team's board - unless you want to get blasted. You might notice your perspective is not in agreement with the people who have watched Porter all year long.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#32 » by NPZ » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:36 am

manchambo wrote:If I’m the coach my message is: this is our team vs. their team with a fair whistle. It takes a miracle shot for LA to win. We can beat them in any game, including the next 4 to finish this off in 6.

Yah, 33-19 FTAs was more like it. Don't hit me w/ the but it's HOW they call em stuff. They're not all gonna be to your liking so don't freak out in Gm3 if it's back to the Lakes. It took 18/19 FTM for the Lakers to win, which is much more of a miracle than an AD trey at the corner with his feet set. I assure you of that, I've watched all their games in the Brawn era. They could've been 9/19 just as easily.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 am

NPZ wrote:
manchambo wrote:If I’m the coach my message is: this is our team vs. their team with a fair whistle. It takes a miracle shot for LA to win. We can beat them in any game, including the next 4 to finish this off in 6.

Yah, 33-19 FTAs was more like it. Don't hit me w/ the but it's HOW they call em stuff. They're not all gonna be to your liking so don't freak out in Gm3 if it's back to the Lakes. It took 18/19 FTM for the Lakers to win, which is much more of a miracle than an AD trey at the corner with his feet set. I assure you of that, I've watched all their games in the Brawn era. They could've been 9/19 just as easily.

1. I am a believer that superstars get more calls - but I am also a believer that the more aggressive team gets more calls. In two games, both the Nuggets & Lakers have been called for 48 personal fouls. The Lakers have taken 56 free throws and the Nuggets have taken 61 free throws.

2. I believe that fans love to blame the refs for every loss (exaggeration, but not a lot). :wink:

3. I believe Los Angels fans (both teams), tend to act as though they personally win the games and that every fan of every other team is an idiot. I appreciate your manner of posting NPZ! :peace:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#34 » by THE J0KER » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:15 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
NPZ wrote:

1. I am a believer that superstars get more calls - but I am also a believer that the more aggressive team gets more calls. In two games, both the Nuggets & Lakers have been called for 48 personal fouls. The Lakers have taken 56 free throws and the Nuggets have taken 61 free throws.

2. I believe that fans love to blame the refs for every loss (exaggeration, but not a lot). :wink:

3. I believe Los Angels fans (both teams), tend to act as though they personally win the games and that every fan of every other team is an idiot. I appreciate your manner of posting NPZ! :peace:
If they favor Lakers, that doesn't mean they want Lakers to win 4-0. In a game#1, their criteria in the 2nd quarter were ridiculous (24 free throws in a single quarter for a single team!?), but once the Lakers take a 20+ lead in 2nd half criteria was even in Nuggets favor. In game#2 criteria were very balanced since early start, and I expect the same in games #3 and #4. But if Denver somehow ties this series to 2-2, I expecting game#5 criteria similar to scandaluos game#1!

BTW, seems that Barton is out for the season. Nuggets' Will Barton: Likely out for West finals
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:36 pm

THE J0KER wrote:BTW, seems that Barton is out for the season. Nuggets' Will Barton: Likely out for West finals

Seems strange that we are just now hearing this, but the Nuggets never say much about anything. While I would have liked having him available, it appears the team is doing fairly well without him and against the Lakers, he wouldn't fit well simply because of his size - they have a rather long & tall lineup and he is neither.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by The Rebel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:46 pm

NPZ wrote:

What do you expect when you send in 2 guys who's only job is too be rough and physical with the other team's star player?
skywalker33

Post#37 » by skywalker33 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:39 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NPZ wrote:

What do you expect when you send in 2 guys who's only job is too be rough and physical with the other team's star player?

I could be on board with using this tactic as well except their stars get "superstar" treatment while the refs treat our stars as an everyday player.....blue collar vs. white collar never ends well for the working man.

NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#38 » by NPZ » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:21 pm

For the record, I do NOT want reffing that will draw anywhere near the criticism and all the CTs that come with it as we saw in Gm1. Much less comparisons to 02 Gm6 (you gotta give the Kings fans their Jesus' death cross mantle). I will tell you however, Lakers in 09 had a Finals gm at ORL where the Magic got somethin like 20-0 in the 2nd half for FTAs. That was when it was a probable 4-1 series shapin up when they did that. Lakers still won on clutch shots by Fisher, but it can happen. I don't want that for any team. I'm at least that fair. And I think most fans are probably of that ilk. However, what I concede to is that the refs tinker more at the ends of series usually. They do little extendo stuff to make series go longer. That was rife in both Gms 5 and 6 of the 02 series tho no one outside of LA will ever concede that Gm 5 was a ratnest of officiating BS, but I get that. The spite for the Lakes is leaguewide.

Here's hoping to you lads as fellow hoops fans that Game 3 is decently officiated. Or at least more or less even if decent can't be achieved. I don't personally think the Lakers need to get the same disparity as in Gm 1 to win this series or next. Not a diss, just how I feel/see it. I've seen every game in full this year(s), not just a casual wanker. And I go back 30+ yrs. I saw the OLD rainbow jerseys! I know who Alex English is (his jersey retirement ceremony was against the Lakers). And even Blair Rasmussen. And not only Mahmoud, but Chris! I watched that 94 Nuggs at Sonics Gm 5 LIVE! Any rate, good health luck!
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
skywalker33

Post#39 » by skywalker33 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:47 pm

NPZ wrote:For the record, I do NOT want reffing that will draw anywhere near the criticism and all the CTs that come with it as we saw in Gm1.

Would have to agree, the Lakers and Nuggets matchup w/o NBA/referring interference aren't necessary, it shows and diminishes the integrity while just adds to the politics. However, Silver knows this is a business and he WANTS his biggest market in the Finals to increase TV revenue, he's trying to remove any concerns of that not happening.

NPZ wrote: The spite for the Lakes is leaguewide.
I wouldn't say LEAGUEwide, the league actually panders to the big markets. But go over to the General Board and see the Laker FANS post and you'll see why the spite is substantiated/perpetuated. a lot of A-holes (present company excluded) over there, as if they were on the court.

NPZ wrote:Here's hoping to you lads as fellow hoops fans that Game 3 is decently officiated. Or at least more or less even if decent can't be achieved. Any rate, good health luck!

Appreciate the civility of your posts here, here's to a good game and good health to both teams.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:07 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NPZ wrote:For the record, I do NOT want reffing that will draw anywhere near the criticism and all the CTs that come with it as we saw in Gm1.

Would have to agree, the Lakers and Nuggets matchup w/o NBA/referring interference aren't necessary, it shows and diminishes the integrity while just adds to the politics. However, Silver knows this is a business and he WANTS his biggest market in the Finals to increase TV revenue, he's trying to remove any concerns of that not happening.

That's why LA is so important. I get it. The league has always favored big markets.
skywalker33 wrote:
NPZ wrote: The spite for the Lakes is leaguewide.
I wouldn't say LEAGUEwide, the league actually panders to the big markets. But go over to the General Board and see the Laker FANS post and you'll see why the spite is substantiated/perpetuated. a lot of A-holes (present company excluded) over there, as if they were on the court.

The GB is full of Laker scum but there are plenty of good Laker fans too. We just remember the bad ones! :D
skywalker33 wrote:
NPZ wrote:Here's hoping to you lads as fellow hoops fans that Game 3 is decently officiated. Or at least more or less even if decent can't be achieved. Any rate, good health luck!
Appreciate the civility of your posts here, here's to a good game and good health to both teams.

Loved the Lakers until they moved to California when I was a kid (living in Minneapolis). Never cheered for them again but loved watching Riley's Showtime. Respected Kobe and his intensity and commitment. I guess the best I can say to NPZ is the same thing you just said to us: "Good health luck!" :wink:

Return to Denver Nuggets