Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: Coach Malone 

Post#101 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/16/21438852/lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-game-7
An interesting read - consider what it has to say about coaches, especially the following sentence:
Lue was criticized for his relatively simplistic offense, but all LeBron needed was the ball and the space to make plays and everything else would work itself out.

I remain a firm believer that when Jokic is in a game, the Nuggets need to run zero set plays. Just give Jokic the ball at the high post and have the rest of the players cutting and screening for each other and running the baseline. It is very difficult to organize a defense against that offense -and- then the occasional post-up of Jokic brings a change of pace that works well. Add in frequent Jokic-Murray pick-n-rolls; it could be the best offense in the league. With that as the offense, the coach only has to pull guys that aren't moving and focus on defense - along with in-bound plays.

So you LOVED the Doug Moe offense.....go left, go right, or go down the lane :lol:

Yuppers - but Jokic would have taken it to the next level. Just imagine Jokic with Issel, English, Vandeghwe! 200 pts a game would have been possible. :lol:
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#102 » by U hova » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:16 am

I am tired of seeing Malone sub in Mason Plumlee for key defensive possessions... against a Power Forward

Is this guy really a defensive minded coach? I feel as though that is just an excuse for asinine decisions
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#103 » by THE J0KER » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 am

U hova wrote:I am tired of seeing Malone sub in Mason Plumlee for key defensive possessions... against a Power Forward

Is this guy really a defensive minded coach? I feel as though that is just an excuse for asinine decisions
Lakers is also lucky with that last shot, but what killed us all night is Laker's domination in rebounds (44-31)... Lakers actually hit three times shot for the win (Caruso, Green) before Davis finally scored. Porter with his size should play 30-35 minutes every game in this series IMO.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#104 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:36 am

While he missed his shots, putting Dozier in was a great move, too bad he went back to his old habits of putting Plumlee in at the end. He quit doing that against the Jazz and Celtics, I don't know why he would bring that back? Plumlee has never been good at guarding Davis.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#105 » by manchambo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:18 am

The Rebel wrote:While he missed his shots, putting Dozier in was a great move, too bad he went back to his old habits of putting Plumlee in at the end. He quit doing that against the Jazz and Celtics, I don't know why he would bring that back? Plumlee has never been good at guarding Davis.

In retrospect, he should have stuck with the lineup he had, Denver wins. But his logic wasn’t crazy—plumlee is in to stop a lob/layup.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 am

I am still amazed at some of Malone's decisions. Dozier played around 400 minutes this season and Malone plays him down the stretch of a WCF game? I get it, he played well for a few minutes, but Malone doesn't typically play young players that don't have lots of time on the court - and that's during the regular season. Defensive stats do not show him to be a great defensive player. I like his game, but that seemed like a poor time to play him -and did I miss something or were all of Dozier's minutes consecutive at the end of the game? 14 minutes? That's a lot of minutes for someone not accustomed to playing long minutes.

I have never understood why Malone substitutes Plumlee in for defense late in a game. As I understand statistics (not always the best), Jokic's defensive stats are better than Plumlee's both in the regular season and in the playoffs. Sure, Plumlee is more mobile than Jokic, but Jokic tends to maintain a better position. The further either is from the basket, the worse they both are but Plumlee seems much worse out there than Jokic. He tends to try to play guards on the perimeter like he was a short, mobile guard - it seldom works.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#107 » by Manolito » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 am

Plumlee had made exactly the same mistake one month ago against the Lakers!!!

WTF was Malone thinking?????
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:27 am

manchambo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:While he missed his shots, putting Dozier in was a great move, too bad he went back to his old habits of putting Plumlee in at the end. He quit doing that against the Jazz and Celtics, I don't know why he would bring that back? Plumlee has never been good at guarding Davis.

In retrospect, he should have stuck with the lineup he had, Denver wins. But his logic wasn’t crazy—plumlee is in to stop a lob/layup.

His logic is crazy because he did it in most regular season games and it rarely works. Like 1 out of 10 times it will work. you can just as easily have Grant guard the rim and put in anybody else to cover the perimeter and I think we are better off.
manchambo
Starter

Post#109 » by manchambo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm

The Rebel wrote:
manchambo wrote:

His logic is crazy because he did it in most regular season games and it rarely works. Like 1 out of 10 times it will work. you can just as easily have Grant guard the rim and put in anybody else to cover the perimeter and I think we are better off.

I don’t know what this mean—teams hit 90 percent of their last second shots with plumlee in?
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#110 » by Mickey8 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Still an average coach and the sole reason why Denver is always trailing, being too stubborn , always starting with the same line up that doesn't work.
manchambo
Starter

Post#111 » by manchambo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Still an average coach and the sole reason why Denver is always trailing, being too stubborn , always starting with the same line up that doesn't work.

I guess you think this roster, this year, should have a cake-walk to the championship? That's nuts.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:49 pm

manchambo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
manchambo wrote:

I don’t know what this mean—teams hit 90 percent of their last second shots with plumlee in?

No what I am saying is that Plumlee does not change the play 90% of the time. If they get past whoever is guarding them Plumlee does nothing.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#113 » by THE J0KER » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:19 pm

manchambo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
manchambo wrote:

What really drives me crazy with these Plumlee/Jokic last-minute substitutions is the fact that Plumlee is the teams by far worst FT% shooter and one of the worst in the league. So even if the opponent misses the last shot and Plumlee is expected to grab that rebound, the opponent will have 2nd chance to win or put the game into OT fouling Plumlee because he will miss one or both FT's with his 53%FT% skills. On the other hand, Nikola Jokic is not just the best team's player, but also already one of the best clutch times players ever, his brain (BBIQ) works superbly in these moments, so for every other coach, Nikola would be pure gold on the floor in such moments. Jokic can outsmart opponent in the last possession, he is a good rebounder and FT% shooter, and he can deliver fast long pass to a free teammate to stole some extra seconds in the game finish. Maybe Malone with that bizarre strategy with benching the team's superstar only wants to send "I'm the Boss here" message and nothing else. I know this Lakers last 2 seconds on Sunday was a special case where Jokic and Plumlee were both on the court (which never worked for Nuggets, but that is another story).
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#114 » by Maf » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:20 am

Reading all of those complains about Malone I am thinking- don't you guys remember? How excited these forums were when Nuggets fired Karl and replaced him with Shaw (he will bring that championship pedigree)? What happened? Dark years of unwatchable basketball.

Our coach broughts us to WCF and without couple of really stupid mistakes (if I say rebounding I bet you all can think at least three situation where you were shaking your heads) they were really close to win two or three games at least.

Seems to me that players like playing for him and respect him. Maybe MPj not. But Murray and Jokic do. It's hard to give credits for player develepments, defense etc. to Malone because I don't think any of us really knows how involved is he and how much praise deserve his assistants.

I think we watched really great season, our young team made another progres, showed a lot of heart, lot of promises for the future. So it would be really stupid to change coach just for a change. I mean if you could bring someone like Spoelstra or Stevens then yes. But someone wrote McMillan who got swepted three out of last four searies. This is really stupid idea.

And I don't support those last possesions Plums subs too. I don't think he is good defender at all. It is also true that Jokic has usually five fouls there...
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:36 am

Maf wrote:
Spoiler:
Reading all of those complains about Malone I am thinking- don't you guys remember? How excited these forums were when Nuggets fired Karl and replaced him with Shaw (he will bring that championship pedigree)? What happened? Dark years of unwatchable basketball.

Our coach broughts us to WCF and without couple of really stupid mistakes (if I say rebounding I bet you all can think at least three situation where you were shaking your heads) they were really close to win two or three games at least.

Seems to me that players like playing for him and respect him. Maybe MPj not. But Murray and Jokic do. It's hard to give credits for player develepments, defense etc. to Malone because I don't think any of us really knows how involved is he and how much praise deserve his assistants.

I think we watched really great season, our young team made another progres, showed a lot of heart, lot of promises for the future. So it would be really stupid to change coach just for a change. I mean if you could bring someone like Spoelstra or Stevens then yes. But someone wrote McMillan who got swepted three out of last four searies. This is really stupid idea.

And I don't support those last possesions Plums subs too. I don't think he is good defender at all. It is also true that Jokic has usually five fouls there...

I agree with most of what you said, but while Jokic's "perpetual foul trouble" bothers me. He averages about 3 fouls per game during the regular season and around 3.5 fouls per game in the playoffs. We just remember the games where he's in foul trouble.
Maf
Starter

Post#116 » by Maf » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:56 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Maf wrote:
Spoiler:

I agree with most of what you said, but while Jokic's "perpetual foul trouble" bothers me. He averages about 3 fouls per game during the regular season and around 3.5 fouls per game in the playoffs. We just remember the games where he's in foul trouble.

Hi. Really nice to read respond from you. Hope you and your beloved are doing well.

What I probably badly wrote was meant as "in cases where Plums replaces Jokič on last minutes defensive possesions he is in foul trouble." And maybe I am wrong, might be that "just I feel like it is" thing.

On the other note, especially at PO you need your best player to be available. 3.5 doesn't seem that much. But... from teams who reached conference finals he is second behind Theis from Boston who is there only for dirty work. From teams that made second round he is ninth. So it is a problem. We need Jokič on the floor and don't say to me that you as well aren't mad every time Nikola losses the ball and does that silly slaping foul while he has three fouls already.

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by The Rebel » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Maf wrote:Reading all of those complains about Malone I am thinking- don't you guys remember? How excited these forums were when Nuggets fired Karl and replaced him with Shaw (he will bring that championship pedigree)? What happened? Dark years of unwatchable basketball.

Well I was one of the few that said that Karl should not be fired prior to it happening, and while I understand why he got fired (he himself has said he aggressively got in Josh Kroenke's face and demanded a raise and extension for him and his staff) I was nowhere near excited when they fired him..

If you look at the dates of when people were calling for him to be fired, it was in round 1 when we were down 3-1 and the early part of the Clippers season. Considering what has happened since I would say it is hard to argue that this team would not have been underachieving if they lost in round 1 especially in going out 4-1 or 4-2.

I agree players seem to like playing for Malone. I will also say that head coaches get the blame when guys don't develop, so he should get the credit when they do, especially since they oversee the process.

I said even in my posts that there was no way Malone got fired for this season, but if we lost to the Jazz he would have deserved too. Now he will likely get an extension and I am not sure he deserves that either. I think he is an above average coach, but I still wonder if he can win a championship.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Maf wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Maf wrote:
Spoiler:

Hi. Really nice to read respond from you. Hope you and your beloved are doing well.

What I probably badly wrote was meant as "in cases where Plums replaces Jokič on last minutes defensive possesions he is in foul trouble." And maybe I am wrong, might be that "just I feel like it is" thing.

On the other note, especially at PO you need your best player to be available. 3.5 doesn't seem that much. But... from teams who reached conference finals he is second behind Theis from Boston who is there only for dirty work. From teams that made second round he is ninth. So it is a problem. We need Jokič on the floor and don't say to me that you as well aren't mad every time Nikola losses the ball and does that silly slaping foul while he has three fouls already.

Thanks much - my beloved & I celebrated 46 years together yesterday. She's doing great and my health is a constant struggle. All-in-all, we are very happy!

I understood what you were saying about both Plumlee and Jokic. I used to be a Plumlee believer but this year hasn't kept me believing and the playoffs destroyed by belief in him being a decent backup center.

I have never liked Jokic's tendency to waste fouls. Every foul he commits is worth far more than one bucket. Taking a foul to stop a fast break is something for role players to do. He is a dominant center that plays against physical players and is expected to protect the paint. There are plenty of fouls he's going to commit without trying. In the last game, he not only took an early foul to stop a fast break, but he took another early foul trying to stop a slam dunk from the side, reaching over the man's head. That's a foul every time. It just seems like the more important the game, the more likely he is to pick up fouls like those. He needs to understand his importance. I know that's not his personality, but he's that important. It's just like scoring. It's not what he prefers, but when he scores more, the rest of the team plays better. He needs to be on the floor!
Maf
Starter

Post#119 » by Maf » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:05 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Maf wrote:Reading all of those complains about Malone I am thinking- don't you guys remember? How excited these forums were when Nuggets fired Karl and replaced him with Shaw (he will bring that championship pedigree)? What happened? Dark years of unwatchable basketball.

Well I was one of the few that said that Karl should not be fired prior to it happening, and while I understand why he got fired (he himself has said he aggressively got in Josh Kroenke's face and demanded a raise and extension for him and his staff) I was nowhere near excited when they fired him..

If you look at the dates of when people were calling for him to be fired, it was in round 1 when we were down 3-1 and the early part of the Clippers season. Considering what has happened since I would say it is hard to argue that this team would not have been underachieving if they lost in round 1 especially in going out 4-1 or 4-2.

I agree players seem to like playing for Malone. I will also say that head coaches get the blame when guys don't develop, so he should get the credit when they do, especially since they oversee the process.

I said even in my posts that there was no way Malone got fired for this season, but if we lost to the Jazz he would have deserved too. Now he will likely get an extension and I am not sure he deserves that either. I think he is an above average coach, but I still wonder if he can win a championship.

Come on, his staff deserved raise. Just think about their future psychiatric bills for having to coach Melo, JR, Kenyon, AI and Camby at once. :D

I think if you cannot put out top five coach out of your sleeve Malone needs to be extended. I agree he is above average, that means top 15, I'd be generous and said top 10 coach in the league. That is good enough. If he can win championship... Hard question. On the other hand Doc has a ring and he is legend who blew two 3-1 leads. Ty Lue has a ring and I think his game preparation was "LeBron please, do your stuff."

Those PO are different animal. I am sure D'Antoni is very good coach with not so great PO resume. Coach Bud is genius who might have the worst PO results compared to expectations after regular season.

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#120 » by Mickey8 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:37 pm

I feel that Nuggets wont win anything with Malone , even though they made progress every season, I think Denver is Steve Kerr like coaching influence away to become legit contender, not have to going to seven games series every play off , I dont think Malone is convincing play off coach , he's the one of the reason that team always dig itself into the hole, trailing, his incapability to adjust etc. I think Denver will extend him to a new contract, which will be a big mistake and will cost Denver winning the title.

Return to Denver Nuggets