The Newer-est Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Re: The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#161 » by King Malta » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 am

shangrila wrote:
King Malta wrote:Copped Crusader Kings 3 on release, absolutely sensational game.

I've always liked strategy games, in particular medieval period based ones, but always found that I stuck to campaign maps and the diplomacy whilst just letting the CPU decide the battles. CK3 is basically all about the characters, the intrigue, the diplomacy and less about spending 40 minutes on large open scale battles.

Highly recommended for anybody that likes Grand Strategy and RPGs.

I definitely want to give it a go.

I tried CK2 but couldn't get into it. I don't think it was the game per se but like all Paradox games (Europa and Stellaris as well) you hit a point after all the DLCs and updates that the tutorials aren't as relevant and you're kind of flying blind. It sucks. But that shouldn't be a problem with a brand new one....right?

I had exactly the same problem with ck2, by the time I found it there was so much DLC that I barely knew where to start, and with Hearts of Iron (which I love) I had to watch 6 hours of youtube vids to even understand the core mechanics.

I feel like CK3 rectifies both of those issues well. For a start its more fleshed out on release than most Paradox games, no missing ruler/religion starts with the idea of releasing them later as DLC for example.

Also, it has a pretty solid tutorial and excellent tooltip system which makes getting your head around the core mechanics very easy! I'd really recommend giving it a go.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#162 » by Calinks » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:26 am

King Malta wrote:Copped Crusader Kings 3 on release, absolutely sensational game.

I've always liked strategy games, in particular medieval period based ones, but always found that I stuck to campaign maps and the diplomacy whilst just letting the CPU decide the battles. CK3 is basically all about the characters, the intrigue, the diplomacy and less about spending 40 minutes on large open scale battles.

I don't play many PC games but I can run this one so playing it on game pass. I really like it too. Takes a long time to get a hang for it though. I still don't know much but I feel somewhat comfortable. That said my current playthrough is getting kind of dull. I love the idea of running a huge dynasty though.

I really am liking Wasteland 3, just sucks there are so many bugs. Love the co-op and setting.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
King Malta
Starter

Post#163 » by King Malta » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:54 am

Calinks wrote:

I don't play many PC games but I can run this one so playing it on game pass. I really like it too. Takes a long time to get a hang for it though. I still don't know much but I feel somewhat comfortable. That said my current playthrough is getting kind of dull. I love the idea of running a huge dynasty though.

I really am liking Wasteland 3, just sucks there are so many bugs. Love the co-op and setting.

I found that the tutorial gave a pretty good grounding but obviously there was still things I picked up as I went, but at least the basics were outlined pretty well.

Yeah there's some trial and error involved with playthroughs, my first one went about 280 years until I decided to try something new, and after a couple of falters I found another that I'm really enjoying!

What I find the most fun is that you don't really need to focus on expansion, which has always been a secondary priority to me in Strategy games. I like the idea of running a small little duchy/kingdom and building it up to be self sufficient and safe from the claws of hungry neighbouring Kingdoms/Empires.

I've heard good things about Wasteland, would you recommend holding off for some patches though?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,674

Post#164 » by Domejandro » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 am

Calinks wrote:

Nice work specifying it was on Game Pass, downloading it now.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#165 » by Calinks » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:15 pm

King Malta wrote:
Calinks wrote:

I've heard good things about Wasteland, would you recommend holding off for some patches though?

Couple questions since you have a lot of time in the game.

1. Is there any way to tell how every character died? Sometimes I get a cause of death but often it's a mystery.

2. Any tips on making a lot of money and building up a big army?

As for Wasteland 3, I HIGHLY recommend it if you like cRPG's. It's a really deep RPG game but it has that top down view and a lot of people don't like that lower budget look. I do recommend waiting though if you have no need to play it now. Some patches have already made the game smoother but there are still issues. Thinking that it will be solid in a couple of months.

Domejandro wrote:
Calinks wrote:

Both Crusader Kings and Wasteland 3 are on Game Pass actually. CK is only on PC, W3 is on Xbox and PC. Game Pass is really good stuff.
King Malta
Starter

Post#166 » by King Malta » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 am

Calinks wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't play many PC games but I can run this one so playing it on game pass. I really like it too. Takes a long time to get a hang for it though. I still don't know much but I feel somewhat comfortable. That said my current playthrough is getting kind of dull. I love the idea of running a huge dynasty though.

Couple questions since you have a lot of time in the game.

1. Is there any way to tell how every character died? Sometimes I get a cause of death but often it's a mystery.

As for Wasteland 3, I HIGHLY recommend it if you like cRPG's. It's a really deep RPG game but it has that top down view and a lot of people don't like that lower budget look. I do recommend waiting though if you have no need to play it now. Some patches have already made the game smoother but there are still issues. Thinking that it will be solid in a couple of months.

Domejandro wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't play many PC games but I can run this one so playing it on game pass. I really like it too. Takes a long time to get a hang for it though. I still don't know much but I feel somewhat comfortable. That said my current playthrough is getting kind of dull. I love the idea of running a huge dynasty though.

Both Crusader Kings and Wasteland 3 are on Game Pass actually. CK is only on PC, W3 is on Xbox and PC. Game Pass is really good stuff.

Sure thing :)

Once they're dead, there's a little skull symbol in the bottom right hand corner of their portrait, hover over that and it will give you a small summary, "Died of his wounds", "Died during a seige", "Died of cancer" etc. They do need to patch in an events log though, in my opinion, it's easy to miss the greater detail of some big happenings if you're distracted.

Depends on who you're playing as, to a degree, but there's a few things I normally focus on.

Firstly, I tend to try to get my first few heirs to focus on the stewardship line if possible, as that leads to good income, so that's a start. Making sure your bishop (if you're playing Christian) has a positive opinion of you is important too, because they contribute decent coin/levies. Also, building some tax generating buildings in your primary county (make sure you build in your primary county the most, because you won't lose control of it on confederate inheritance!).

As far as armies, I like to build a couple of man at arms units pretty early, assuming I can afford it, but the biggest focus for me is alliances. As soon as my ruler has kids I marry them off to the most powerful countries I can, preferably as close to me as possible. That helps in the early game if you've started small, because you can often have enough support from your allies that only the biggest kingdoms could cause you much trouble. It makes early game expansion a little more straightforward as well; fabricate a claim on your neighbour, declare war, call in your 4-5 allies and then just let them do the work.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#167 » by Calinks » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:55 am

Thanks for the tips! I was doing really well with my last ruler then he died and I lost so much. I was making decent money now I am struggling to make anything. Kind of disheartening as that was a lot of work put in and it seems for naught.
King Malta
Starter

Post#168 » by King Malta » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:52 am

Calinks wrote:Thanks for the tips! I was doing really well with my last ruler then he died and I lost so much. I was making decent money now I am struggling to make anything. Kind of disheartening as that was a lot of work put in and it seems for naught.

Haha I know the feeling. As masochistic as it sounds, that's part of the charm/journey of the game I guess. You build up, but unless you have the ability to name a sole heir (doesn't really happen until at least 1200) then your realm often fragments on death. So not only are you trying to expand and solidify every generation, but you really need to future proof to ensure that your realm isn't cooked when you die. If you have enough land for a duchy (usually 2-4 counties), your fellow heirs will at least remain as your vassals, so you still get taxes/levies from them.

If you have too many sons, you can disinherit one or more of them. It costs renown and it pisses them off, but it's sometimes a better result than having your 8 counties spilt into 2 per son.

Also, as soon as it's available, shift from partition to high partition in your succession screen (click on the little green crown in the top right). That ensures that half of your titles always go to your eldest son, which reduces some of the fragmentation.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#169 » by minimus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:24 am

I got "Into The Breach" for free because of sales. It's an old game, but I am enjoying it. Still hope we will see XCOM3 remake someday
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#170 » by shangrila » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 am

Microsoft just bought ZeniMax for $7.5bil. That means they now own studios like Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield), id Software (Doom, Quake), ZeniMax Online (Elder Scrolls Online), Arkane (Dishonored, Prey), MachineGames (Wolfenstein) and several others along with exclusive ownership of all those IPs (and more). All games are going to be on Game Pass at launch.

This is insane. Sony went and got exclusive rights to Final Fantasy 16 so Xbox just whipped out their 15inch golden schlong and bought out the biggest western RPG company in the world.

If they actually make these titles console exclusives, Sony is screwed. And there's rumours they aren't done yet either.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#171 » by Domejandro » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 am

Being a loser who pays for Game Pass just got substantially better. If Bethesda's first party games go XBox and PC exclusive, that could be serious trouble for Sony.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#172 » by shangrila » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 am

Domejandro wrote:Being a loser who pays for Game Pass just got substantially better. If Bethesda's first party games go XBox and PC exclusive, that could be serious trouble for Sony.

Game Pass is great. I don't know what it's like in the States but here in Australia I pay $15 combined for it and Live (ability to play online, used to cost $10 on it's own) and I get access to any 1st party title (Gears 5, Outer Worlds) and plenty of other big name and indie stuff (DMC 5 is on there). It's not streamed either so if I need to be offline I can still play the games I've downloaded.

Personally if you're into gaming and you've got an Xbox and you're NOT using it, I think you're an idiot.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#173 » by Domejandro » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 am

shangrila wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Being a loser who pays for Game Pass just got substantially better. If Bethesda's first party games go XBox and PC exclusive, that could be serious trouble for Sony.

Game Pass is great. I don't know what it's like in the States but here in Australia I pay $15 combined for it and Live (ability to play online, used to cost $10 on it's own) and I get access to any 1st party title (Gears 5, Outer Worlds) and plenty of other big name and indie stuff (DMC 5 is on there). It's not streamed either so if I need to be offline I can still play the games I've downloaded.

Personally if you're into gaming and you've got an Xbox and you're NOT using it, I think you're an idiot.

I use it on PC, and I can confirm that it is baller on there too.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#174 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 6, 2020 9:53 pm

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#175 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm

I got intrigued by Raid: Shadow Legends due to some commercials and gave it a try. I'm hooked. It's one of those games that tempt you to spend a lot of money to upgrade your characters. Decent story that seems a bit borrowed from LotR. Graphics IMO are amazing, Some people have spent $1000s. I'm a week in and have invested $60, but have mostly resisted temptation to spend more. I recommend it, but be careful about taking the easy way out. Be willing to grind out the levels. If you want to give it a try let me know please! I'll send you a link and we will both get bonus goodies.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#176 » by shangrila » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I got intrigued by Raid: Shadow Legends due to some commercials and gave it a try. I'm hooked. It's one of those games that tempt you to spend a lot of money to upgrade your characters. Decent story that seems a bit borrowed from LotR. Graphics IMO are amazing, Some people have spent $1000s. I'm a week in and have invested $60, but have mostly resisted temptation to spend more. I recommend it, but be careful about taking the easy way out. Be willing to grind out the levels. If you want to give it a try let me know please! I'll send you a link and we will both get bonus goodies.

Honestly, save yourself some time and ditch it early.

You'll hit a point soon where the grind becomes astronomical. Unless you're willing to spend thousands you'll be stuck grinding the same crap for literal weeks in order to advance 1 character by 1 star. And that's without addressing the MTX which...well, would you have paid $60 to buy this game? That's the price of a console game in the States, isn't it?

It's just another pay to win mobile game you can find on the app stores by the dozen these days.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#177 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 am

KGdaBom wrote:I'm a week in and have invested $60, but have mostly resisted temptation to spend more.

I would not call that resisting. Quit now before they have your soul.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#178 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I'm a week in and have invested $60, but have mostly resisted temptation to spend more.

I would not call that resisting. Quit now before they have your soul.

Temptation has been to spend hundreds already. :lol:
I'm having a lot of fun. :D
Join me on the Dark Side. I'll send you a link.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#179 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Here's my install link for Raid: Shadow Legends. Get it through this link and both of us will get some free stuff to boost us along! https://link.plrm.zone/app/fp2vi

It's completely free to give it a look. I like it enough that I've decided to invest some money into it. If you do join my clan is Sea of Thieves.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,225

Post#180 » by UcanUwill » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Playing Witcher again, gave Geralt a stache, because why the hell not :lol: That game is so good.
ALso trying to get into red dead 2 again, but I just dont like that game at all, I am so disappointed with that one.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves