ImageImageImage

Retrading Blake for Tobias Harris makes sense for both teams.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Retrading Blake for Tobias Harris makes sense for both teams. 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Let me start out by saying Tobias has very little trade value. He has 4 years left on a huge contract. If Detroit was any type of FA destination this trade would make no sense. I also think that Harris' contract is bad enough we need to be compensated for taking it on even if we are trading Blake who has little trade value himself. Sixers have a few weaknesses that need to be addressed and a healthy Blake and Rose during the playoffs next year could shore up everything for them and make them a legit threat to come out of the East.

Detroit makes this move to get younger with Harris, get young players on rookie deals who still have potential, and get multiple draft picks. They also reduce their cap # for this year which gives them more room in FA or to make other trades.

Detroit trades: Blake & Rose
Sixers trade: Harris, Zhaire Smith(2018 Pick #16), Matisse Thybulle(2019 pick #20), #20 draft pick this year, 2020 2nd round pick (Philly has 4)
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: Retrading Blake for Tobias Harris makes sense for both teams. 

Post#2 » by chrbal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 pm

4 years and $150 million. No.

If we were a player like this from becoming a better playoff team, ok. But we’re not.

Philadelphia does it because it’s two less seasons and 1/2 the money overall.

If I ran Houston I would try to work something out, but he makes no sense for a rebuilding team.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Can't see Philly wanting to team Blake with Joel & Simmons, especially with Horford also on their roster.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#4 » by Crymson » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:36 pm

The Sixers would get absolutely robbed. Harris has a bad contract, but he's the picture of health and a good fit with Simmons and Embiid. Griffin would be an abominable fit with both, and he's almost guaranteed to miss a significant time every season; his contract would be a terrible value for the Sixers. Moreover, he may not ever look like himself again to begin with. Rose is a capable backup point guard but would likewise be a poor fit with both Simmons and Embiid, as he cannot play off the ball.

A trade of Harris for Griffin and Rose alone would be an awful deal for the Sixers.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#5 » by The_Irony » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Tobias is one of a few players that have a worse contract than blake but no way philly does this
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#6 » by DBC10 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Harris might have the worst contract as it ages in the league right now, tied with guys like Westbrook and John Wall at 47 million each per year.

But he's still a way better fit to be miserable in Philly rather than this hollow shell of a team. Plus what's Griffin going to do for them? Give Embiid and Simmons the injury bug?
Crymson
Rookie

Post#7 » by Crymson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:55 am

The_Irony wrote:Tobias is one of a few players that have a worse contract than blake but no way philly does this

Who's got the worse contract: the guy who plays in very nearly 100% of his games or the guy who misses 30% of his and plays injured another 20% of the time?

Blake's contract is worse. Much worse.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#8 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:10 am

Brand is terrible, but he’s not that terrible. Try to trade with Dumars instead - he’ll give Blake an extension while he’s at it. Work up a Kings deal......
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 am

Crymson wrote:
The_Irony wrote:Tobias is one of a few players that have a worse contract than blake but no way philly does this

Who's got the worse contract: the guy who plays in very nearly 100% of his games or the guy who misses 30% of his and plays injured another 20% of the time?

For this team in its current state, I much prefer Blake's contract to Tobias'.

Blake only has 2 years left, while Tobias has 4. So I'll take half the life of a cap anchor.

We also can't forget that the salary cap is looking like it is going to take a massive dive. In which case, being on the hook for a 2 year monster contract is much better than being on the hook for a 4 year monster contract.

There is also an outside chance Blake opts out after next season. Dude has made a mountain of money in his career both on and off the court. He certainly realizes that his career is starting to wind down, so at this point I can see a scenario where he prefers playing for a winner over getting the most $.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#10 » by Crymson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 am

thesack12 wrote:
Crymson wrote:

For this team in its current state, I much prefer Blake's contract to Tobias'. Blake only has 2 years left, while Tobias has 4. So I'll take half the life of a cap anchor.

For Detroit. Not for the Sixers, who are massively over the cap and trying to win now.

We also can't forget that the salary cap is looking like it is going to take a massive dive. In which case, being on the hook for a 2 year monster contract is much better than being on the hook for a 4 year monster contract.

The salary cap is projected to remain static for 2020-2021.

There is also an outside chance Blake opts out after next season. Dude has made a mountain of money in his career both on and off the court. He certainly realizes that his career is starting to wind down, so at this point I can see a scenario where he prefers playing for a winner over getting the most $.

I think it's very unlikely that he'll walk away from $39 million.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#11 » by thesack12 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:26 am

Crymson wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Crymson wrote:

For this team in its current state, I much prefer Blake's contract to Tobias'. Blake only has 2 years left, while Tobias has 4. So I'll take half the life of a cap anchor.

For Detroit. Not for the Sixers, who are massively over the cap and trying to win now.

The salary cap is projected to remain static for 2020-2021.

I think it's very unlikely that he'll walk away from $39 million.

Of course I was talking about for Detroit. Pistons talk is what we do here.

There will be some smoothing to ease the cap drop, but its going to take a big hit. There is no way that it won't, because the BRI has fallen off of a cliff. First there was the China deal, and then Covid. We still don't even know if there will be any gate revenue coming in next season. So my point remains, that Blake's 2 years is a much better commodity than Tobias' 4 years. The cap is definitely going down during the timeframe of Tobias' contract.

Sure its a pretty safe bet that Blake opts in to his final year, but its not inconceivable that he opts out.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#12 » by The_Irony » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:33 am

Crymson wrote:

Tobs is worse from the standpoint of you and i having this exact same conversation in 4 years.
Tobias plays but he will never be an all star and will never be all nba anything. The quicker detroit gets out of these max deals for underachieving players the better.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#13 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 am

Blakes better for tanking which is what we should be doing. Also no way the Sixers want a gimpy Blake.

Blake Griffin for the pistons is similar to that WART you picked up on your dong from not using a condom with that slutty one night stand you picked up at the bar. It was fun and felt good at the moment but it was a really bad move for the future. Thanks SVG for the wart!
Crymson
Rookie

Post#14 » by Crymson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Blakes better for tanking which is what we should be doing. Also no way the Sixers want a gimpy Blake.

Blake Griffin for the pistons is similar to that WART you picked up on your dong from not using a condom with that slutty one night stand you picked up at the bar. It was fun and felt good at the moment but it was a really bad move for the future. Thanks SVG for the wart!

I'm sure that a fair number of people in this conversation were singing his praises at the time, and slamming the people who dissented.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#15 » by Manocad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#16 » by Billl » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm

I always liked Tobias the individual. Seems like a great guy. He's also a fantastic complimentary scorer. Hes not a star though, so no way would I want that contract on the books for the next 4 years. He's a final piece, not a building block.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#17 » by MotownMadness » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:28 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Blakes better for tanking which is what we should be doing. Also no way the Sixers want a gimpy Blake.

:lol:
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#18 » by DTP » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:42 pm

LOL at trying to talk yourself into thinking that makes any type of sense for Philly. Run that trade idea on the Sixers board, see how well its received.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#19 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:52 am

What's the point of Tobi without Bobi? :)
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#20 » by pistonsbball » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:37 am

Would be hilarious if the Clippers had to trade PG and their only option was Blake

Return to Detroit Pistons