Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain?

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Re: Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#201 » by thor19 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Suddenly we have many spaces available, noel probably does not return, we are lucky if gallinari makes a sign and trade, cp3 can be trade, also with dennis and adams, roberson is a free agent and muscala and nader has a player option if I'm not wrong.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#202 » by getrichordie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:04 am

thor19 wrote:Suddenly we have many spaces available, noel probably does not return, we are lucky if gallinari makes a sign and trade, cp3 can be trade, also with dennis and adams, roberson is a free agent and muscala and nader has a player option if I'm not wrong.

Didn't we know this heading into the season, though? There were plenty of talks about a "strategic rebuild" that "may take time." I don't think any player is off the table on the trade market either. Noel could be re-signed. I think it largely depends on how the draft shakes out for us. If we draft a big, Noel likely doesn't get re-signed unless it's a S&T which is highly unlikely, IMO.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#203 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Not too surprising of a destination for him - expectations are just to scrape into the playoffs soon and develop young talent already there, and he has the luxury of following one of the worst coaches in years.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#204 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Odd choice for billy considering the presumed reasons why he didn’t want to stay here.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#205 » by jambalaya » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:45 am

He probably wasn't going to get Sixers job. Never heard him mentioned by Pelicans or Rockets.

Maybe Pacers would be more winning but not sure to get it. Pacers talking of interviewing 12 then naming finalists. Or suspected of possibly just giving it to D'Antoni. If they weren't super positive privately then no thanks to waiting.

And may have preferred Chicago GM and Bulls expectations. He and his wife are NY born & raised. Chicago likely sounded pretty good to them as next home. Probably best realistic outcome or close enough to lock in and not risk being left out. Hope for 2 contracts there, then maybe retire back to Florida?

Thunder Coach search might boil down to Assistant Coach or Atkinson.
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#206 » by itzmrgigglez » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:34 am

Adrián Griffin and Kenny Atkinson are my top choices for potential coaches
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#207 » by mr570 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Adrian Griffin is my number one for sure.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:20 pm

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#209 » by jake_swivel » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:34 pm

Yuck
IndianaBuc8
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#210 » by IndianaBuc8 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:46 pm

Question, So if CP3 enjoys playing with OKC why not keep him another year? As a player coach he could help tremendously more than a bunch of salary match players that wouldn't contribute to the rebuild. I wouldn't trade him unless there were pics and young talent coming back.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:13 pm

IndianaBuc8 wrote:Question, So if CP3 enjoys playing with OKC why not keep him another year? As a player coach he could help tremendously more than a bunch of salary match players that wouldn't contribute to the rebuild. I wouldn't trade him unless there were pics and young talent coming back.

Welcome to the board.

I think he “enjoys” being here with the mindset of knowing he wants to play for a true contender sooner rather than later. I would hope the front office doesn’t move him just for the sake of accommodating what he wants. They either need to get assets or salary savings which can be used to acquire more assets.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:35 pm

Asset value just skyrocketed.

Read on Twitter
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#213 » by jake_swivel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Asset value just skyrocketed.

Read on Twitter

If you were in their spot, what would you try to do? General question to anyone.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Asset value just skyrocketed.

Read on Twitter

If You were in their spot, what would you try to do? General question to anyone.

I would rebuild but I don’t think most front offices/owners have as quick of a trigger as myself. I suspect Fertitta thinks he’s smart enough to right the ship on his own. We’re talking about a guy that had murals of himself and his family painted in the arena.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#215 » by jake_swivel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:53 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I would rebuild but I don’t think most front offices/owners have as quick of a trigger as myself. I suspect Fertitta thinks he’s smart enough to right the ship on his own. We’re talking about a guy that had murals of himself and his family painted in the arena.

Seems like the problem is that when they start their rebuild, it’ll pretty much be solely built around the assets they’d get for harden. Gordon/Russ are negative assets at this point, and we torpedoed their draft capital. Guess they’re looking at the Brooklyn model?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:36 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I would rebuild but I don’t think most front offices/owners have as quick of a trigger as myself. I suspect Fertitta thinks he’s smart enough to right the ship on his own. We’re talking about a guy that had murals of himself and his family painted in the arena.

Seems like the problem is that when they start their rebuild, it’ll pretty much be solely built around the assets they’d get for harden. Gordon/Russ are negative assets at this point, and we torpedoed their draft capital. Guess they’re looking at the Brooklyn model?

Pretty much. The positive for them is an aging Westbrook has potential to be a great tank commander in the event they want to pursue keeping their lightly protected picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#217 » by retrobro90 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:36 am

Lotta Cp3 to LAL talk the past couple days. Doesn't seem likely but I get nauseous when I imagine having to root for Kyle Kuzma.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#218 » by cjmcallist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:32 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Pretty much. The positive for them is an aging Westbrook has potential to be a great tank commander in the event they want to pursue keeping their lightly protected picks.

I think Houston is at a point where they can stay good for a while. I don't think they'll need to tank if they play their cards right.

But, it would require them giving up on a championship for this season.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#219 » by cjmcallist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am

retrobro90 wrote:Lotta Cp3 to LAL talk the past couple days. Doesn't seem likely but I get nauseous when I imagine having to root for Kyle Kuzma.

lol I say bring it on. I'm so ready for the tank. This season was great, but feels like another one like this wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.

CP3 for Green, McGee, Caruso, Kuzma works. And, I believe, they can trade the 2026 first round pick now too. Green is probably worth another first rounder on a contender...
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#220 » by jake_swivel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm

cjmcallist wrote:I think Houston is at a point where they can stay good for a while. I don't think they'll need to tank if they play their cards right.

But, it would require them giving up on a championship for this season.

Not sure I agree with this. Superstars in this era aren't okay with mediocre results. I guess if you're thinking Westbrook's downtrend is an anomaly and not a symptom of a trajectory, they could possibly have a couple second round exits left in them. But it seems more likely to me that he's going to get worse, not better as his body starts slowing. Harden's going to understand that their lack of flexibility locks them into mediocrity. I see little chance he resigns with them, and it seems very likely that he ends up forcing a trade.

If they don't handle that situation perfectly, they could bungle it completely and get terrible value for him with no means of improving that team. Fertita seems like a meddler. If he gets in a standoff with Harden or teams that don't want to offer much value for a player who can opt out after 21-22, they could lose him for nothing. And that's a disaster for that franchise. Like, set them back for 5 years kind of disaster.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder