ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#841 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:20 pm

I can't lie, this kid's jumper and floater (and diminutive size) remind me of Trae sooooooooo much.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#842 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Wingspan is one of the most overrated measurements for guards or offensive players in general...

Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#843 » by kg01 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Wingspan is one of the most overrated measurements for guards or offensive players in general...

Read on Twitter

All numbers and analytics are pretty meaningless when not used properly.

That said, it feels pretty low-rent for a guy to wait 'til a guy plays well then go back to pick an unfavorable measurable and saying, "See, see, [insert measurable] is trash."

I put that in the same category as all the "reports" than Dan E. strAinge was "gonna trade up" for Giannis or Mitchell or some other non-lotto guy that ends up playing well. "Oh Dan E. knew he was gonna be great all along."

Yeah, ok. :roll:
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#844 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:43 pm

kg01 wrote:I put that in the same category as all the "reports" than Dan E. strAinge was "gonna trade up" for Giannis or Mitchell or some other non-lotto guy that ends up playing well. "Oh Dan E. knew he was gonna be great all along."

I have no idea what that has to do with anything...but as far as draft evaluations for the 2020 class, Upperclassmen and Euros with solid resumes but less than desirable length/height worth watching are Deni Avdija, Desmond Bane, Killian Tillie and Grant Riller.

They have (relatively) short arms but big games...
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#845 » by kg01 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:I put that in the same category as all the "reports" than Dan E. strAinge was "gonna trade up" for Giannis or Mitchell or some other non-lotto guy that ends up playing well. "Oh Dan E. knew he was gonna be great all along."

I have no idea what that has to do with anything...but as far as draft evaluations for the 2020 class, Upperclassmen and Euros with solid resumes but less than desirable length/height worth watching are Deni Avdija, Desmond Bane, Killian Tillie and Grant Riller.

Suggesting Hereo's length shouldn't have been a consideration is revisionist history just like all the Ainge stuff is revisionist ... since you couldn't make the connection.

To bring it back to the topic, I like Riller in the late 1st. Tiller, I like in the late 2nd since I think his body will break down. Deni ... I like ok but I think he'll be gone by 6.
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#846 » by Spud2nique » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:28 am

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Suggesting Hereo's length shouldn't have been a consideration is revisionist history just like all the Ainge stuff is revisionist ... since you couldn't make the connection.

To bring it back to the topic, I like Riller in the late 1st. Tiller, I like in the late 2nd since I think his body will break down. Deni ... I like ok but I think he'll be gone by 6.

Stop hating on ur BIL. Time heals all wounds.. :-?

HEAT
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#847 » by personanongrata » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I can't lie, this kid's jumper and floater (and diminutive size) remind me of Trae sooooooooo much.

Read on Twitter

I'd be all for drafting him late 1st. I like his game a lot.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#848 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:09 pm

2020 NBA Draft Profiles: Desmond Bane

Height: 6’6” Weight: 214.5 Wingspan: 6’4.25”

Offense
  • Crazy high IQ, you can tell he is a multi-year veteran
  • Combination of finesse and strength makes him a good finisher
  • Possibly the best shooter in the draft, can make any kind of shot (C&S, off the dribble, driving pull-ups)
  • Reliable ball-handling and pick-and-roll ability for a combo guard
  • Good passer, better when he’s not dribbling
  • Not a huge bag in terms of dribble moves, but has a few staples that are effective
  • Not very fast or bouncy

Defense
  • IQ shows again, especially on rotations, help, screens, communicating with teammates
  • Excellent team defender
  • Really good at closing out in a disciplined manner
  • Defense looks really strong in the PnR and in ISO situations
  • Active, swiping hands
  • Strength + engagement makes it difficult for anyone to back him down
  • Not a great rim protector, again due to the lack of bounce

Spoiler:
3 Key Things

The Exceptional Shooting
Bane is an absolutely unreal shooter. I know I said earlier that he was possibly the best shooter in the draft, and that’s due to his pure versatility. Bane can play like a pure shooting guard. He averaged 1.131 points per possession off catch-and-shoot shots last season, which placed him the 77th percentile per Synergy Sports. But he’s also an exceptional shooter off the bounce. He was in the 91st percentile of spot-up jumpers and 92nd percentile of shots off-the-dribble. No matter how he’s shooting it, Bane is an incredibly talented shooter. His 78-of-176 shooting from three placed him the 96th percentile of three-point shooters. His shooting ability is just absurd.

A Useful Combo Guard
Usually, I am very low on prospects who are listed as combo guards. This is because these prospects are typically missing the talent to play full-time point or shooting guard. But when it comes to Desmond Bane, this is someone who can play either position. He’s a proven ball-handler, averaging .858 points per possession as the pick-and-roll ball handler according to Synergy Sports. He generated 231 points out of 234 pick-and-roll possessions, earning him the 85th percentile. This is incredible useful when you think of him next to Luka Doncic Trae Young. Bane can either be an off-ball shooting threat or run the offense himself.

Leadership
This one is difficult to describe because there are no numbers to support it, but I think Bane’s leadership is one of the most desirable parts of his game. He played four seasons in one of the toughest conferences college basketball has, often leading a new group of players each season. Desmond Bane is 8 months and 3 days older than Doncic. Bane’s maturity not only offers the Mavericks a ready to play guard, but also gives them more leadership.

Bane could function as both a back-up wing or ball handler. He would quickly work himself up to the top of the bench as he provides offensive production from both his shooting and play making. He could give the starting wings a rest, or even come in to run the offense when Trae needs a breather.
Mavs SB Nation
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#849 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:59 pm

in 2015 I called out Devin Booker as my pick and THE GUY!

Then I called out Denzel Valentine, Donovan Mitchell, Luka, and just last year i called out Herro.

I was right about everybody except for Valentine.

This year I'm calling out Aaron Nesmith as THE GUY of the 2020 draft
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#850 » by King Ken » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:47 am

I wouldn't mind Nesmith, he's mainly offense only but we could use an elite shooter who has movement skills but not with a top 6 pick.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#851 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:08 am

King Ken wrote:I wouldn't mind Nesmith, he's mainly offense only but we could use an elite shooter who has movement skills but not with a top 6 pick.

I agree with you, King Ken is it? The experts do tout him as the next pure shooter like JJ Redick and that would be a winner for our side because coupled with Trae’s ability to stretch it, scary for the D no doubt.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#852 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:53 am

Last year I called Herro, max contract, even before he got drafted. I like Nesmith just as much as i like Herro in UK. Herro is a slightly better ball handler than Nesmith, but Nesmith is a slightly better shooter. Booker and Herro successes will make Nesmith into a lottery pick. I think Nesmith can be a better version of Khris Middleton
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#853 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:04 am

Just voted for Gwu. Had him initially and sticking with him. Though not mad at Hali or Okoro.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#854 » by King Ken » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Last year I called Herro, max contract, even before he got drafted. I like Nesmith just as much as i like Herro in UK. Herro is a slightly better ball handler than Nesmith, but Nesmith is a slightly better shooter. Booker and Herro successes will make Nesmith into a lottery pick. I think Nesmith can be a better version of Khris Middleton

Khris Middleton is a much taller and superior defensive prospect.

I like Nesmith but all of his value is shooting and scoring. He's like a Michael Redd but with more movement and less post skill. He's even built like Redd.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#855 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 am

King Ken wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Last year I called Herro, max contract, even before he got drafted. I like Nesmith just as much as i like Herro in UK. Herro is a slightly better ball handler than Nesmith, but Nesmith is a slightly better shooter. Booker and Herro successes will make Nesmith into a lottery pick. I think Nesmith can be a better version of Khris Middleton

Khris Middleton is a much taller and superior defensive prospect.

I like Nesmith but all of his value is shooting and scoring. He's like a Michael Redd but with more movement and less post skill. He's even built like Redd.

More movement that Redd :-?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#856 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:55 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhhh that’s funny.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#857 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:24 am

Spud2nique wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhhh that’s funny.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm concern about Obi's age and his poor rebounding.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#858 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhhh that’s funny.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm concern about Obi's age and his poor rebounding.

This would be a horrible pick for the Hawks. We would look back in a few years and think we got the Ronald Flip Murray of the draft. :lol: Nah, bring on Gwu.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#859 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Been seeing more of Tyrell Terry. Added 20+ lbs, grew a couple inches and added to his vertical and now he’s jumping out the gym. Not worth #6 but don’t hate him as a late first-early second.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#860 » by Spud2nique » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:Been seeing more of Tyrell Terry. Added 20+ lbs, grew a couple inches and added to his vertical and now he’s jumping out the gym. Not worth #6 but don’t hate him as a late first-early second.

I saw this kid okay at Stanford. He’s a baller for real with a super raw feel for the game and a quick player who makes quick decisions with his passing and trigger.

I like a bunch of the point guards coming out. Ideally we need a vet to backup Trae but adding a young guy like him for 3rd string duties would be great.

Return to Atlanta Hawks