ImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

How has Oubre performed in regards to your expectations for him so far this season?

Exceeded my expectations
55%
About where I expected him to perform
41%
Subpar performance so far
5%

Total votes: 44

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,675

Re: Kelly Oubre news and highlights 

Post#201 » by Qwigglez » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:02 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
If I was running the team, I would keep him for a couple of reasons, unless he was causing behind the scenes problems and the contract demand was outrageous AND we had a great offer.

BUT, barring all of what I just said, which is improbable, I would hang onto him partly because I would work as an over the cap team, keep Saric, Carter and try hard to keep Baynes, and THEN use the MLE.

If Sarver decides to shave money by dealing Oubre for a lot less of a contract, and lets Baynes go, and spends around the salary floor, that will be disappointing. I am not sure how many roster spots that would leave open, but we'd then likely have a lot of minimum contracts. Though maybe we'd be further under the cap than the floor by quite a bit saving like $9 million on Oubre (if we got, say, Kennard back, and let Baynes go and signed Saric to a reasonable deal).

But I'd keep him and try to keep Baynes and work over the cap. I'd prefer keeping Baynes actually because I think he has a big impact on Ayton, but it all depends on money and what we would get for Oubre. But hopefully we can keep both.

I'm in the same boat. I think we'd still be far enough away from the luxury tax that Sarver shouldn't worry about it until at least Ayton & Bridges get their extension which wouldn't be on the salary books until 2022-23 season. Can gauge where the team is at moving forward, along with how well Cam Johnson is progressing. The injury concerns for both Cam and Oubre should play a role too. This off-season though should dictate which direction Sarver wants to go with the team, if he chooses to not keep Oubre, Saric, Carter, Payne, and hopefully Baynes then I think he's all business and doesn't care about ever putting together a good team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,430

Post#202 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:09 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
If I was running the team, I would keep him for a couple of reasons, unless he was causing behind the scenes problems and the contract demand was outrageous AND we had a great offer.

BUT, barring all of what I just said, which is improbable, I would hang onto him partly because I would work as an over the cap team, keep Saric, Carter and try hard to keep Baynes, and THEN use the MLE.

If Sarver decides to shave money by dealing Oubre for a lot less of a contract, and lets Baynes go, and spends around the salary floor, that will be disappointing. I am not sure how many roster spots that would leave open, but we'd then likely have a lot of minimum contracts. Though maybe we'd be further under the cap than the floor by quite a bit saving like $9 million on Oubre (if we got, say, Kennard back, and let Baynes go and signed Saric to a reasonable deal).

But I'd keep him and try to keep Baynes and work over the cap. I'd prefer keeping Baynes actually because I think he has a big impact on Ayton, but it all depends on money and what we would get for Oubre. But hopefully we can keep both.

I'm in the same boat. I think we'd still be far enough away from the luxury tax that Sarver shouldn't worry about it until at least Ayton & Bridges get their extension which wouldn't be on the salary books until 2022-23 season. Can gauge where the team is at moving forward, along with how well Cam Johnson is progressing. The injury concerns for both Cam and Oubre should play a role too. This off-season though should dictate which direction Sarver wants to go with the team, if he chooses to not keep Oubre, Saric, Carter, Payne, and hopefully Baynes then I think he's all business and doesn't care about ever putting together a good team.

I think he also may look at things like a lot of people do...that we did great without Oubre and Baynes, going 8-0, and lets Baynes go and trades Oubre for some cheaper depth, while keeping Saric and Carter.

Who knows?
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#203 » by darmani » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:48 am

basketballRob wrote:I think they'll trade Aaron Gordon for Oubre and the 10th pick. Reason is who knows how Oubre's body will hold up. Kind of odd that both were held out while they appeared to be healthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, that's not going to happen, bud.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#204 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:10 am

darmani wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think they'll trade Aaron Gordon for Oubre and the 10th pick. Reason is who knows how Oubre's body will hold up. Kind of odd that both were held out while they appeared to be healthy.

Yeah, if it was going to happen, it certainly wouldn't include that pick, but with the economy and the financial hit, I seriously doubt thy will look at that trade at all to bring in more money. The only possibility would be if they lose Saric in FA, let Baynes go, and clear out a bunch of space, but that is very doubtful.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,675

Post#205 » by Qwigglez » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:20 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think he also may look at things like a lot of people do...that we did great without Oubre and Baynes, going 8-0, and lets Baynes go and trades Oubre for some cheaper depth, while keeping Saric and Carter.

Who knows?

but James Jones said that the front office won't allow the bubble performance to affect the way they plan for the Suns future. To me, that means keeping Oubre and Baynes. If we end up dealing Oubre and spinning it in a way that says we didn't think we needed him after what the team did in Orlando I'll be pretty annoyed. I do feel like we may not keep both Baynes and Saric, as I mentioned before I find it hard to see Sarver spending over $15-20 million a year on two bench players that both play the 4/5.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#206 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:52 am

bwgood77 wrote:
darmani wrote:

Yeah, if it was going to happen, it certainly wouldn't include that pick, but with the economy and the financial hit, I seriously doubt thy will look at that trade at all to bring in more money. The only possibility would be if they lose Saric in FA, let Baynes go, and clear out a bunch of space, but that is very doubtful.
Oubre and the 10th would be around 18m and that's what Gordon makes. AG is a pretty good defender when you're playing a team with a good wing, like Lebron or Kawhi. Even when Isaac was healthy, AG would guard the best 3 or 4 on the other team.

The Magic would also probably have to include the 15th pick, so it would be similar to the deal you made last year.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#207 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:48 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Who knows?

but James Jones said that the front office won't allow the bubble performance to affect the way they plan for the Suns future. To me, that means keeping Oubre and Baynes. If we end up dealing Oubre and spinning it in a way that says we didn't think we needed him after what the team did in Orlando I'll be pretty annoyed. I do feel like we may not keep both Baynes and Saric, as I mentioned before I find it hard to see Sarver spending over $15-20 million a year on two bench players that both play the 4/5.

He also mentioned some of the things he liked more about the bubble and things he values in players, such as sharing the ball and moving the ball, which is one of Oubre's bigger weaknesses. Also mentioned bbiq and maturity.

“Our system is a dynamic system,” James talks about positive changes on the court. “If you watch the minor improvements that we made in the Bubble. Our focus on rebounding, offensive rebounding, moving the ball, sharing the ball, being a low turnover team.

“All those things require a guys that can think on their feet. Guys that have great ball skills. Not necessarily great ball handing skills, but knowing how to move their body and how to move the ball and how to share the game. It takes a level of basketball IQ and maturity.”

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/8/22/21396633/james-jones-still-looking-for-mature-high-bball-iq-prospects-at-no-10-in-the-2020-nba-draft

Hopefully they don't move him though and keep Baynes as well, working as an over the cap team and using the MLE. If they really feel they need to move him due to impending contract and/or depth in other areas they can probably do so during the season.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#208 » by RunDogGun » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm

I loved how we played in the bubble, but we also got lucky that almost every team was resting players and/or limiting time for players, saving them for the playoffs. Clearly Monty understands that our best squad with the players we have, is starting two SFs who can switch and guard either forward position, while also being able to guard the perimeter. Unless Oubre is still injured or not recovered, he will get the start. I haven't really seen a trade that would get us a better player. But if something came up where we got a similar player skill wise, while getting a mid first round pick, I completely understand a move.

I still want to see many games with the starting line up of Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, and Ayton, with Saric as the first big off the bench, and Payne the first guard off the bench.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#209 » by thamadkant » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:04 am

It all depends on if Oubre would be willing to come off the bench "some" games depending on matchup.

I like the chemistry of Johnson, Bridges with Booker, Rubio and Ayton... the ball movement is ideal.

Oubre's contract may also backfire as he could leave and Suns may not have flexibility...

In the end, its really highly dependent on the offer and his attitude.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#210 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:17 pm

What's your guys' overall impression of Oubre? Some poster on our board kept saying Wiggins is better than him. Maybe from an offensive standpoint, but did Advanced Stats, and they measured to be about the same (Maybe a few categories where one excels over the other, but not by much).
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,465

Post#211 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:25 am

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:What's your guys' overall impression of Oubre? Some poster on our board kept saying Wiggins is better than him. Maybe from an offensive standpoint, but did Advanced Stats, and they measured to be about the same (Maybe a few categories where one excels over the other, but not by much).

I'm not sure how anyone could make that distinction, Especially when considering their respective contract differential. Oubre is an amazing, energizing high motor, player that fires up our team and gives us an edge of tenacity and bravado we'd otherwise be lacking. Overall, I'd say the board is fairly split on whether to keep him and try to resign him, Or to move him for optimal value ( IF we anticipate not being able to afford his market value in 2021. Ideally we could keep him and resign him for a reasonable price. But again, no one really knows what the front offices' vision is? His weaknesses are his perimeter shooting efficiency, and his low assist rate, As he sometimes gets tunnel vision and tries to do too much. But his development is very much an enigma. And his value overall is highly situational and more or less " Eye of the beholder." :dontknow:

Having said that, If there was an offer of say the Iggy TPE/ 2nd pick on the table for Oubre/ Diallo/ 10/2023 Top 6 protected first, I'd endorse that 100% percent. But then I'd look to trade back down to 7 or 8 for additional assets to try and squeeze the most value possible from a team that would covet Ball ?

Maybe after acquiring the 2, I'd look to either trade it to New York for the 8/27/ Dallas 2021 unprotected first. Or maybe to Detroit for Kennard/ 7/ Detroit's 2021 (top 6 protected) in 2021, (Top 4) in 2022. Or becomes two 2nds in 2023/ 2025?

As for Wiggins, IF you guys are by chance looking to get off his contract, Then Perhaps there can be a 3 way trade with some team? Or maybe a secondary trade just between 2 teams? Maybe Orlando, Houston, Chicago or Cleveland?
(Wiggins 27 million)

Orlando-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3z6nm35 ( GS sends to Orlando, GS 2021 top 5 protected first)?

Houston-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4kney55 (Golden State sends Houston their 2021 top 5 protected first)? Or would it need to be the Minnesota pick?

Chicago-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3e8mfgq
No picks exchanged because value is about equal contractually? I would of had it be a Porter swap, But that's only if he'd opt in. Anyways, GS at least shaves 8 million off in 2021 (up to 13 million with Youngs' 7 million partial guarantee, And up to 18 million with Satos' partial 5 million guarantee) And saves 27 million in 2022.

Cleveland-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yabw5co2 ? ( run Oubre at the 3, Love at the 4, And Green at the 5. At 10 ( per Phoenix trade) draft Precious Achiuwa or maybe trade back for Daniel Oturu and another piece?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,811

Post#212 » by Saberestar » Sat Oct 3, 2020 9:35 pm

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#213 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:51 am

t$unami (@KELLYOUBREJR) Tweeted:
“For all that I been through and all that I'm goin' through next. I'ma always be myself and we gon' count up these checks.” $TILL #Shhh
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Putting in the work too! :wink:
Pure Sweat (@PureSweat) Tweeted:
#UnseenHours paying off for @KELLYOUBREJR! https://t.co/ZLbis3QkyM
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#214 » by Saberestar » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:40 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Putting in the work too! :wink:

That video is from 2018.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#215 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:38 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Putting in the work too! :wink:

That video is from 2018.

Ooooops! :tooth Still good stuff though.
Stark
Junior
And1: 678

Post#216 » by Stark » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:41 pm

I always change my mind about Oubre but i think my last decision is to keep him for the next year. I don't care if he wants too much money or we might lose him next summer (or winter i don't know what's the new NBA calendar will look like lol) I wasn't a huge Oubre fan when he first came here even though he embraced the team and played his heart out, to me Warren was the superior player. His performance is volatile and not a great decision maker. However after his performance this year i can definitely see that he is the better fit.

Now i definitely understand that bubble games with Mikal and Cam starting was the best version of this roster and it kinda makes Oubre expandable as he is also our biggest trade piece but does it really worth trading him? At worst Oubre is a 6MOY candidate type of player. Also we don't know if Cam/Bridges duo's performance is sustainable. Oubre's hustle and energy on and off the court will be hard to replace. Don't forget that before Rubio and Monty he was the first piece that started the change in Phoenix. Generally i don't believe in how players shows their loyalty and commitment to a team but i believe Oubre's passion for the Suns franchise is genuine. We haven't had a player like that for a while.

If we look at what Oubre brings to the table as a basketball player, one thing we should realize is dude is still pretty young. We look at Bridges and Cam as a prospect but many people including me sometimes sees Oubre as a finished product although all of them are at the same age. If Mİkal or Cam were dropping 19/6 with hustle and occasional flashy defensive plays we would give them more respect. I'm not saying Oubre is a better player than them they all bring something different and essential for the team. Having the luxury of three wing players like that is huge and something i don't wanna lose for the next year. Oubre with better decision making and a better shot pretty much best PF we can find realistically. Let's keep the band together and see how far they can go. Not many people will agree with me but i totally believe in this team and with some luck, key FA signings or maybe a good draft pick they have potential to achieve anything.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#217 » by Saberestar » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:16 am

Stark wrote:I always change my mind about Oubre but i think my last decision is to keep him for the next year. I don't care if he wants too much money or we might lose him next summer (or winter i don't know what's the new NBA calendar will look like lol) I wasn't a huge Oubre fan when he first came here even though he embraced the team and played his heart out, to me Warren was the superior player. His performance is volatile and not a great decision maker. However after his performance this year i can definitely see that he is the better fit.

Now i definitely understand that bubble games with Mikal and Cam starting was the best version of this roster and it kinda makes Oubre expandable as he is also our biggest trade piece but does it really worth trading him? At worst Oubre is a 6MOY candidate type of player. Also we don't know if Cam/Bridges duo's performance is sustainable. Oubre's hustle and energy on and off the court will be hard to replace. Don't forget that before Rubio and Monty he was the first piece that started the change in Phoenix. Generally i don't believe in how players shows their loyalty and commitment to a team but i believe Oubre's passion for the Suns franchise is genuine. We haven't had a player like that for a while.

If we look at what Oubre brings to the table as a basketball player, one thing we should realize is dude is still pretty young. We look at Bridges and Cam as a prospect but many people including me sometimes sees Oubre as a finished product although all of them are at the same age. If Mİkal or Cam were dropping 19/6 with hustle and occasional flashy defensive plays we would give them more respect. I'm not saying Oubre is a better player than them they all bring something different and essential for the team. Having the luxury of three wing players like that is huge and something i don't wanna lose for the next year. Oubre with better decision making and a better shot pretty much best PF we can find realistically. Let's keep the band together and see how far they can go. Not many people will agree with me but i totally believe in this team and with some luck, key FA signings or maybe a good draft pick they have potential to achieve anything.

At the end of the day it all depends on Oubre's mentality.

Is he OK with that 6th man role? Can he play next to Booker and Ayton and take smarter shots and share the ball more?

If he is fine with these two things I will bring him back next season. If he thinks that he must start and he wants to score over 20 ppg next season no matter what to gain a big contract next summer then I would work a trade to bring a solid player back for him.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#218 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:50 am

Ash (@SunsBaII) Tweeted:
Who would’ve guessed...#RisePHX https://t.co/xTzghzz5ra
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Cool! :D
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#219 » by cberry78 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:38 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Ash (@SunsBaII) Tweeted:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

So I guess that's a no on any KOJr trades. :wink:

Any idea when this is from?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#220 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 am

cberry78 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Ash (@SunsBaII) Tweeted:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

So I guess that's a no on any KOJr trades. :wink:

Any idea when this is from?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/2015/03/kelly-oubre-jr-highlights-instagram-kansas-rivals-stats-nba-eyes/amp/
I believe that it was back in 2013, At the UnderArmour Elite 24 tournament game.

Oubre Jr. Was a 2013 Under Armour Elite 24 Selected Player

Heading into his senior year, Oubre Jr. was invited to compete in the 2013 Under Armour Elite 24 game. The event, which started in 2005 and is televised on ESPNU, showcases the top high school basketball players from around the country. It’s held towards the end of August in New York City.

Oubre Jr. not only competed in the main game, but also took part in the 3-point shooting contest against players such as Joel Berry (UNC), Devin Booker (Kentucky), Justin Jackson (UNC) and Romelo Trimble (Maryland), according to NBC Sports’ College Basketball Talk.

Return to Phoenix Suns