Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,017

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#821 » by FrieAaron » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:DO you think Nolan lost it, his earlier films like Memento and Prestige looked like a stroke of genius, but later years Nolan became disposable. Or do you disagree?

Haven't seen his latest yet, but I thought "Dunkirk" was probably his best film.

Interesting. Is that because you dont think as highly of his other movies or just really like Dunkirk?

Mostly the latter. I enjoy pretty much all of his films but think they often get bogged down in usually unnecessary exposition and sometimes go on slightly too long. "Dunkirk" is by far his most lean movie and I think does a very good job keeping the intensity up throughout the entire runtime while still being able to play with time as he likes to do. The only real complaint I have about it is at times it doesn't quite seem to reflect the actual scale of the operation.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#822 » by glenn » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 pm

:lol:

RE: The Boys

Read on Twitter
:reporter:
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#823 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
Haven't seen his latest yet, but I thought "Dunkirk" was probably his best film.

Interesting. Is that because you dont think as highly of his other movies or just really like Dunkirk?

Mostly the latter. I enjoy pretty much all of his films but think they often get bogged down in usually unnecessary exposition and sometimes go on slightly too long. "Dunkirk" is by far his most lean movie and I think does a very good job keeping the intensity up throughout the entire runtime while still being able to play with time as he likes to do. The only real complaint I have about it is at times it doesn't quite seem to reflect the actual scale of the operation.

I love how he wanted to flip that exposition perception on its head and make Dunkirk with no script before his wife overruled him.

Also agree on the length of his films. As much as I love the guy, I usually find myself saying "if he could've just trimmed 10 minutes off the runtime."
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#824 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:57 am

Theaters are ****ed. All major releases have been pushed to XMas and next year. Even if people are dumb and are cool with going to the movies during the pandemic there isnt going to be anything to see. The failure of Tenet (29m domestic) is causing studios to flee. Given the COVID size holes in the calendars (productions halted for 5 mos) it's tough to argue.

Madison already lost the second biggest (if not the biggest) theater in town. And others are going to be killed off over the next several mos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#825 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:03 am

Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#826 » by WRau1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:27 pm

I was a big fan of Orphan Black, happy to see Tatiana Maslany get the lead in SheHulk.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#827 » by emunney » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 pm

I dreamt I wrote a buzzy arthouse sci-fi movie called "The Moon Is Irregular". This is all I remember about it. Write it or nah?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#828 » by crkone » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:06 pm

emunney wrote:I dreamt I wrote a buzzy arthouse sci-fi movie called "The Moon Is Irregular". This is all I remember about it. Write it or nah?

It needs a shtick. The shtick is everyone is wearing eye patches over one eye. The ruling class left eye. The working class right eye. Our working class protagonist both eyes.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#829 » by glenn » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:08 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
glenn wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:Just finished season 2 of Twin Peaks on Netflix earlier today. It was a bizarre experience from start to finish

:lol:

I don't know if anything can prepare you if you decide to take the plunge on season 3. Might be my favorite film/tv of the past decade, but definitely not for everyone.

Season three is incredible. Basically, if you enjoy the weird mythology of the show, all the stuff involving the black lodge and stuff, S3 is a must watch.

:reporter:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#830 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Peacock Network is finally available on Roku, which I use, so I took a look. 3 options, free, $4.99 and $9.99. I saw that SNL is on there so I gave it a shot, they have a 7 day free trial. I took the $9.99 option, I hate ads and I wanted access to everything. I thought the old SNL's would be fun to watch. Except they aren't available. Only the past few season's are on there. Nothing of the first 35+ years. They don't have much else that interests me although I still need to dig into it a little more. I'll likely cancel before the 7 days are up. Another watered down streaming service.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#831 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Recapping my recent watch list:

- The Boys S2 has been awesome. I personally can't stand the patronizing commercial culture of superhero franchises, so their satire and dark humor as been 100% spot on.

- Would definitely recommend An American Pickle for anyone looking for a light-hearted, feel-good comedy. Thought Rogen was brilliant and his early 20th century Polish-Jew accent is surprisingly convincing.

- Raised by Wolves is great, but I'm an admitted Ridley Scott fanatic, so the whole "what makes humans human" angle is pretty much right up my alley. Give me more daring Sci-Fi TV concepts with movie style production values.

- I watched the recent Invisible Man reboot. Elisabeth Moss was great (as usual) and I thought it was a really good psychological thriller for the first hour and a half, but man, the last 30 minutes of the movie just kind of fell flat.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#832 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Hill House was my favorite series in 2018. Super high hopes for this one.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#833 » by blazza18 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:52 pm

I was shocked to learn the younger version of the father in Hill House was the kid from E.T.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#834 » by StickeeFingaz » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:43 pm

It feels like a month or two ago somebody posted a trailer to a new movie coming to Netflix but I can’t find it anymore. To me, it had a bit of a Get Out feel to it, a suspense/thriller type from a well known director...can anybody help me out here?
#FreeChuckDiesel
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#835 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:00 am

It was "I'm thinking of ending things", carry on.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#836 » by Prez » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:05 am

Just binged The Boys S1 now that S2 is out, my god have I missed out up to this point. Antony Starr is incredible as Homelander, steals every scene he's in imo. If S2 is truly better than S1 like I've been hearing it's gonna shoot up my fav shows all time list.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#837 » by crkone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Prez wrote:Just binged The Boys S1 now that S2 is out, my god have I missed out up to this point. Antony Starr is incredible as Homelander, steals every scene he's in imo. If S2 is truly better than S1 like I've been hearing it's gonna shoot up my fav shows all time list.

The one that came out yesterday was pretty good.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#838 » by emunney » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Every episode of Lovecraft Country is better than the last one. Incredibly engaging. The genre play is really fun.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#839 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:19 pm

crkone wrote:
Prez wrote:Just binged The Boys S1 now that S2 is out, my god have I missed out up to this point. Antony Starr is incredible as Homelander, steals every scene he's in imo. If S2 is truly better than S1 like I've been hearing it's gonna shoot up my fav shows all time list.

The one that came out yesterday was pretty good.

Yea, that was great. "Thank you for a great day!" killed me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#840 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Peacock Network is finally available on Roku, which I use, so I took a look. 3 options, free, $4.99 and $9.99. I saw that SNL is on there so I gave it a shot, they have a 7 day free trial. I took the $9.99 option, I hate ads and I wanted access to everything. I thought the old SNL's would be fun to watch. Except they aren't available. Only the past few season's are on there. Nothing of the first 35+ years. They don't have much else that interests me although I still need to dig into it a little more. I'll likely cancel before the 7 days are up. Another watered down streaming service.

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks