It is time...

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: It is time... 

Post#61 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Pritchard has his post season (Zoom) Press conference on Monday. Will be good to finally get something solid to actually take away, even if it’s obfuscating or non-truths. Will give us something to start treating as concrete rather than a lot of offhand guesses.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#62 » by Tom White » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Pritchard has his post season (Zoom) Press conference on Monday. Will be good to finally get something solid to actually take away, even if it’s obfuscating or non-truths. Will give us something to start treating as concrete rather than a lot of offhand guesses.

Do you know if 1070 The Fan will carry the audio, or if Pacers.com will stream it?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Pritchard has his post season (Zoom) Press conference on Monday. Will be good to finally get something solid to actually take away, even if it’s obfuscating or non-truths. Will give us something to start treating as concrete rather than a lot of offhand guesses.

Do you know if 1070 The Fan will carry the audio, or if Pacers.com will stream it?

I haven’t see an answer, yet.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#64 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Tom White wrote:

I expect it'll be available tomorrow but perhaps not live. I don't expect Kev to throw anyone under the bus. Zoom conferencing limits the reporters ability to get off the record statements when nothing is recorded.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#65 » by Lazlo4D » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 am

Next season the Bucks, Raptors, Celtics, Heat, Nets (with Durant & Kyrie back) will be projected better than the Pacers. The 76ers will make some changes but they'll likely still have Simmons & Embiid. That's 6 East teams, if healthy, likely ranked above the Pacers.

2019-20 Indiana Pacers 45 28 .616 4th Seed Lost E. Conf. 1st Rnd. 0-4
2018-19 Indiana Pacers 48 34 .585 5th Seed Lost E. Conf. 1st Rnd. 0-4
2017-18 Indiana Pacers 48 34 .585 5th Seed Lost E. Conf. 1st Rnd. 3-4
2016-17 Indiana Pacers 42 40 .512 7th Seed Lost E. Conf. 1st Rnd. 0-4
2015-16 Indiana Pacers 45 37 .549 7th Seed Lost E. Conf. 1st Rnd. 3-4
2014-15 Indiana Pacers 38 44 .463 9th Seed No Playoffs

After playing it boring & safe in the NBA for 44 years, 1 final, no championships, the 54th pick in a 60 player draft. Maybe it's time for a new plan. We can hope...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:47 am

Lazlo4D wrote:Next season the Bucks, Raptors, Celtics, Heat, Nets (with Durant & Kyrie back) will be projected better than the Pacers. The 76ers will make some changes but they'll likely still have Simmons & Embiid. That's 6 East teams, if healthy, likely ranked above the Pacers.

I absolutely wouldn't agree on Raptors and Nets being projected above us. Lowry is a year older, and Fred Van Vleet, Marc Gasol, and Serge Ibaka are all hitting free agency. Powell's shooting will likely come back down to Earth a bit. They may be good, but I wouldn't assume top tier of the East necessarily. Nick Nurse is a great coach, though, so I won't count them completely out.

And Brooklyn, well. They'll flash, but I never assume any solid ground for a Kyrie Irving team. Who's their coach? They've got a lot of roster issues overall too.

Theoretically, a top 4 spot in the East is really there for the taking, and that's really all you have to be to have a chance to compete for the East.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#68 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:24 am

Does Miami handling Milwaukee make you feel any better?

Sent from my phone.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#69 » by boomershadow » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:03 am

Wizop wrote:Does Miami handling Milwaukee make you feel any better?

Sent from my phone.

I don't. I knew Miami was a good team and still think that if we were as good as we are hoping to be we could get a game or two on them at least. It wasn't us losing that had me feeling bad, it was the way it happened.

If they sweep the Bucks, I'll probably start feeling better.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#70 » by Moooose » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:24 am

Sent from my phone.

To me, somehow it does. I want the Bucks to win the series, but I want the Heat to give them a good beating. This game really showed the strength, depth, and maturity of that Miami team and we, without Domas and Oladipo not being 100%, is really no match to them.

I expect the Bucks to adjust, though. They could've won this game if not for some key turnovers and untimely bad defense.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#71 » by Grang33r » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:19 am

Moooose wrote:

Sent from my phone.

To me, somehow it does. I want the Bucks to win the series, but I want the Heat to give them a good beating. This game really showed the strength, depth, and maturity of that Miami team and we, without Domas and Oladipo not being 100%, is really no match to them.

I expect the Bucks to adjust, though. They could've won this game if not for some key turnovers and untimely bad defense.

Miami was just a bad matchup for the Pacers right from the get-go. They are a tough offensive rebounding team, and they shoot a ton of threes. Pacers are such a soft team hitting the boards, even with Sabonis on the court, and we don't shoot many threes. It was not a good match up.

Then you add mismatches like Jimmy Butler into the equation. It doesn't make me feel better though, because the way the Pacers were build was to be competitive enough to play for a 4-5 seed in the East, be in every game, dominate the weak teams but also look worlds apart against the top teams. And thats what happened.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#73 » by Topofthekey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:13 am

Lowe's decline

For someone on a $4.3m salary, his SPH and IPM numbers are just terrible
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Lowe's decline

someone on a $4.3m salary can buy his own hardware store.

personally I think TJ lost his confidence after being miscast as a stretch 4 instead of an athletic 5, and I wonder if new coaches can rehabilitate him - but this is funny,
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#75 » by Moooose » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Lowe's decline

someone on a $4.3m salary can buy his own hardware store.

personally I think TJ lost his confidence after being miscast as a stretch 4 instead of an athletic 5, and I wonder if new coaches can rehabilitate him - but this is funny,

He was actually playing better as a stretch 4 and probably will fit most of the teams playing in that position. Though he can somehow play 5, I don't see him succeeding in having to defend bigger, stronger 5's. I've watched him in college being an UCLA follower and always thought he's a good shooter. Laughable but I thought he's got a Christian Laettner potential at best. I expected him to bulk up a bit but not totally abandon his shooting.

As a UCLA fan, I'd love to see him stay. But he's the odd man out in the rotation. UNLESS, we give him that back-up stretch 4/5 role and let him be someone like a Matt Bonner. Which is unlikely.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#76 » by pacers33granger » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Leaf didn't have the strength to do anything against NBA bigs. Then when he got some strength, he lost his limited athleticism and his shot just disappeared. If he's ever going to be anything anywhere he needs to rework his entire game as he has a massive deficiency if he's slimmed down or if he's bulked up.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#77 » by Topofthekey » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:18 am

Is it realistic for Pacers to acquire:
1. Rudy Gobert
2. Robert Covington
3. Zach Lavine

For some package involving:
1. Vic
2. Domas
3. Some combination of Doug/Lamb/TJM/Aaron

Pacers will end up with a roster that approximates that 2004 Pistons team:
Gobert = Ben (defensive anchor, non factor on offense)
Myles = Sheed (long, shot blocking, defensive big, with 3pt shot)
Covington = Prince (elite role player, perimeter defender)
Lavine = Hamilton (the bucket getter, must be hidden on defense)
Brogdon = Billups (high IQ facilitator who contributes on both ends)

And Pacers will still have Warren as the 6th man off the bench, so they'll essentially be the 2004 Pistons but deeper?

I imagine that Domas probably has more value than Gobert, so Jazz adds? Domas is younger, and isn't a liability on offense like Gobert is. Plus the with the whole Gobert and Mitchell feud thing

And Bulls might do a Vic for Lavine swap?

So it's a matter of scrapping together enough value using some combination of Doug/Lamb/TJM/Aaron + whatever it is the Jazz adds to the Domas for Gobert swap to get Covington from Rockets

Do-able? Do we want it to be do-able?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:55 pm

I don’t think you’d want it to happen. I don’t know that Utah would want to swap Gobert for an offensive big. They’ve got offensive options and want the ball in Mitchell’s hands, and may want us to pay on top of Sabonis for that swap.

I don’t see our smaller assets being enough for Houston to swap Covington. They’re competing now unless they deal Harden, and they paid up for Covington, so I’d think they’d want more of a key piece like Turner.

I don’t know if the Bulls would do a Vic for Lavine swap with Lavine signed long term and Vic expiring with the recovery. But I know we shouldn’t either. I think the swap adds a totally ball dominant guard that also allows teams an opening to handle. Just double Lavine and force turnovers since you won’t have to cover Gobert.

I also think these kinds of moves would’ve made more sense if we kept Nate and stayed in the “old basketball world”. But for the most part a team with a couple big wings could really neutralize that style lineup with some shooting.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#79 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Is it realistic for Pacers to acquire:
1. Rudy Gobert
2. Robert Covington
3. Zach Lavine

For some package involving:
1. Vic
2. Domas
3. Some combination of Doug/Lamb/TJM/Aaron

Pacers will end up with a roster that approximates that 2004 Pistons team:
Gobert = Ben (defensive anchor, non factor on offense)
Myles = Sheed (long, shot blocking, defensive big, with 3pt shot)
Covington = Prince (elite role player, perimeter defender)
Lavine = Hamilton (the bucket getter, must be hidden on defense)
Brogdon = Billups (high IQ facilitator who contributes on both ends)

And Pacers will still have Warren as the 6th man off the bench, so they'll essentially be the 2004 Pistons but deeper?

I imagine that Domas probably has more value than Gobert, so Jazz adds? Domas is younger, and isn't a liability on offense like Gobert is. Plus the with the whole Gobert and Mitchell feud thing

And Bulls might do a Vic for Lavine swap?

So it's a matter of scrapping together enough value using some combination of Doug/Lamb/TJM/Aaron + whatever it is the Jazz adds to the Domas for Gobert swap to get Covington from Rockets

Do-able? Do we want it to be do-able?
Only Covington of those three interest me and I'd be happy with a Covington lite. My hope is a young backup 4, but I'd settle for a veteran ready to accept a smaller contract.

No interest in Gobert at all.

Lavine is a nice player who would have a role if we lose Vic to free agency but a high priced 2 isn't a priority.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers