ImageImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon - In or Out?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Is Aaron Gordon a Building Block for Magic

Yes, Keep him, he still has potential
25%
No, Trade him, we know what he is
75%

Total votes: 83

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Aaron Gordon - In or Out? 

Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:50 pm

The Orlando Magic are in a place of transition as the team looks for ways to upgrade their roster and land a potential superstar. Power forward Aaron Gordon was once thought of as 'the guy' in Orlando, however, that's certainly changed over the course of the last two seasons. The high-flying Gordon has been linked to several teams, dating back to the trade deadline when the Magic first made him available. Turns out it could be at the draft where we see Gordon change jerseys and the Magic finally getting their wish.

According to Forbes' Sean Deveney, one eastern conference executive sees Gordon on the move and soon:

They were really trying to deal him before the deadline, but they weren't getting the assets back they wanted. It will be easier to move that contract when it's only got two years left. He's probably the most likely big name to be traded. He's a good gamble—he is only 24.

Gordon is making roughly $34 million over the final two years of his contract, which is a reasonable deal considering his production. 18 million in 2020, declining to 16 million in 2021.

However, some teams are slightly concerned with Gordon's drop in points per game as he's gone from 17.6 to 16 to last year averaging 14.4 ppg. Option 1, no, but Gordon suits up as a perfect compliment to round out a big 3.

So keep an eye on the T-Wolves as they try to put together a young-dominant big-3. KAT and D'Angelo Russell could soon have a new running mate...

Would Magic Fans accept a trade of Timberwolves send 1st round pick #17, expiring James Johnson 16 million, and former first round picks Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans for Aaron Gordon.

This gives the Magic two first round picks, 15 and 17 which they can use to get into the top 10 or stay and draft two rookies of their choice where many draft experts say is the strength of the draft class or trade assets for the 2021 NBA Draft.

James Johnson’s money comes off after 1 season for 2021 Big free agency class. Spellman and Evans, both first round pick draft players are on their rookie contracts and can be opted out of after one season if they don’t pan out or flash in 2020 season. That clears up around $20 million in cap for 2021.

Jonathon Isaac is out for the entire 2020 season and Magic can tank one year, free up a bunch of cap and collect assets for 2021 draft and free agency when Isaac is back.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Re: Aaron Gordon - In or Out? 

Post#2 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:21 pm

What Orlando Magic do with Aaron Gordon will determine their future path

With the Orlando Magic’s season coming to a disappointing end, attention has quickly turned to what an uncertain offseason might bring.

The Orlando Magic achieved their basic objective of once again qualifying for the playoffs in the 2020 season. But the inability to make it past the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference followed by another first-round exit has left many fans calling for a shake-up this offseason.

Injuries of course played their part in an apparent lack of progression, as did the suspension of the season due to COVID-19. Jonathan Isaac had two serious knee injuries and missed the postseason along with Aaron Gordon, Mohamed Bamba, Michael Carter-Williams and Al-Farouq Aminu, while Nikola Vucevic and D.J. Augustin also experienced injury problems this season.

Even then, the Orlando Magic finished 10 games behind the Philadelphia 76ers for sixth in the Eastern Conference. They were never truly contenders to catch them for that spot. Even players would say their season was disappointing in that sense. They did not accomplish all they wanted to.

Serious questions remain around how high this team can possibly go and whether it might be time to start trading in order to embark on more of a rebuild.

Of course, there are future considerations too.

With a 2021 draft class tipped to be of high quality and a mouth-watering free agency group at the end of next season, the Orlando Magic could end up regretting any rash decision in an attempt to improve the team.

The chance to get a second pick does not come around often, however. Where the Magic go from here is unclear but what is clear is that this is a significant moment in time for the franchise and every decision must be carefully considered with a clear plan in place.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2020/07/15/orlando-magic-upgrade-viewing-experience-new-tv/
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#3 » by zaymon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:39 pm

i would rather wait until some desperate team overpays for him. # 17 when we have #15 doesnt excite me. Maybe Clippers will want to trade George , maybe Wolves will overpay for defensive help, maybe Nets will overpay for wing defender they desperatly need, maybe Warriors realise they are not a contender without athletic forward, maybe Suns are still interested, maybe Cleveland wants some playmaking from the wing, maybe Wizards want some veteran defensive presence, maybe Denver wants to replace aging Millsap, maybe Mavericks want athletic roller and short roll passer, maybe Trailblazers want to defend ?
Like Gordon or not ( i dont like him), but 1/3 of the league would be happy to have him in their rotation. Its not like you cant win with him when you have lead ball handler and proper spacing. Versatile defenders and adequate passers are shining in post season right now. He is slight shooting improvement from being great role player. Not a star, but still a winning player. We should capitalize on his value before he bolts in free agency. I dont see a great chemistry with other members of our team. He literally left us in the bubble to record some suspect quality songs. ( while saying he cant motivate himself to play becouse of social justice thing before the restart)
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#4 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:52 pm

zaymon wrote:i would rather wait until some desperate team overpays for him. # 17 when we have #15 doesnt excite me. Maybe Clippers will want to trade George , maybe Wolves will overpay for defensive help, maybe Nets will overpay for wing defender they desperatly need, maybe Warriors realise they are not a contender without athletic forward, maybe Suns are still interested, maybe Cleveland wants some playmaking from the wing, maybe Wizards want some veteran defensive presence, maybe Denver wants to replace aging Millsap, maybe Mavericks want athletic roller and short roll passer, maybe Trailblazers want to defend ?
Like Gordon or not ( i dont like him), but 1/3 of the league would be happy to have him in their rotation. Its not like you cant win with him when you have lead ball handler and proper spacing. Versatile defenders and adequate passers are shining in post season right now. He is slight shooting improvement from being great role player. Not a star, but still a winning player. We should capitalize on his value before he bolts in free agency. I dont see a great chemistry with other members of our team. He literally left us in the bubble to record some suspect quality songs. ( while saying he cant motivate himself to play becouse of social justice thing before the restart)

15 and 17 can get you in the top 10 or you can use one pick and trade the other pick for a 2021 first round pick.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#5 » by fendilim » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:13 pm

I dont see us adding more rookies tbh. Especially with our coach being allergic to playing youth.

Why we trading him tho? I mean, next year might be the year... ag will be an allstar. Why we wanna break realgm orlando magic board tradition? LOL
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#6 » by pepe1991 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:24 pm

Come on man, we all know "next year allstar " Real Gm tradition has to be fulfilled :lol:

He is next George, just give him 10 more years
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by zaymon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Come on man, we all know "next year allstar " Real Gm tradition has to be fulfilled :lol:

He is next George, just give him 10 more years

We just need to trade Fournier and Vucevic to unlock his true potential. They mess with his midrange game.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by zaymon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:25 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
zaymon wrote:i would rather wait until some desperate team overpays for him. # 17 when we have #15 doesnt excite me. Maybe Clippers will want to trade George , maybe Wolves will overpay for defensive help, maybe Nets will overpay for wing defender they desperatly need, maybe Warriors realise they are not a contender without athletic forward, maybe Suns are still interested, maybe Cleveland wants some playmaking from the wing, maybe Wizards want some veteran defensive presence, maybe Denver wants to replace aging Millsap, maybe Mavericks want athletic roller and short roll passer, maybe Trailblazers want to defend ?

15 and 17 can get you in the top 10 or you can use one pick and trade the other pick for a 2021 first round pick.

Trading AG and #15 for top 10 pick in this years draft is just wrong. I dont see much difference between 1 and 20. If next years draft pick is in play why just not trade Gordon for it ? You dont have it becouse of bad (in my opinion) Wiggins trade.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,006

Post#9 » by Ducklett » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:21 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:

So trade 17 and that other goodwill fodder and then come back to us with actual assets.
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#10 » by rusoopE » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Hey guys, i have seen a Lot of rumors about ag getting on the trade block i think he really is one foot away from Orlando. What do You think about ag and vuc (tho i love his Game) for Wiggins and #2 pick? I think vuc deserves a Nice spot on a contender also he doesnt fit our timeline with Bamba Isaac fultz okeke and 2021 rookie, both would fut really Nice on the dubs we getting in return a superb pick to build on and a totally green light shooter on Wiggins wich he proved last to be an efective 20+ppg, also in a couple years his contract is gonna be a very good expiring one wich can be used. I don't see us reaching the po next year so we should not trade the 2021 pick. Tell me what do You think about
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#11 » by Skybox » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:23 pm

rusoopE wrote:Hey guys, i have seen a Lot of rumors about ag getting on the trade block i think he really is one foot away from Orlando. What do You think about ag and vuc (tho i love his Game) for Wiggins and #2 pick? I think vuc deserves a Nice spot on a contender also he doesnt fit our timeline with Bamba Isaac fultz okeke and 2021 rookie, both would fut really Nice on the dubs we getting in return a superb pick to build on and a totally green light shooter on Wiggins wich he proved last to be an efective 20+ppg, also in a couple years his contract is gonna be a very good expiring one wich can be used. I don't see us reaching the po next year so we should not trade the 2021 pick. Tell me what do You think about

I’m for a variation of this but I think GSW needs to sweeten...not as much as their MIn 21 pick, but how about adding Paschall? I recognize we take a step back next year but I like it for both sides
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by zaymon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm

rusoopE wrote:Hey guys, i have seen a Lot of rumors about ag getting on the trade block i think he really is one foot away from Orlando. What do You think about ag and vuc (tho i love his Game) for Wiggins and #2 pick? I think vuc deserves a Nice spot on a contender also he doesnt fit our timeline with Bamba Isaac fultz okeke and 2021 rookie, both would fut really Nice on the dubs we getting in return a superb pick to build on and a totally green light shooter on Wiggins wich he proved last to be an efective 20+ppg, also in a couple years his contract is gonna be a very good expiring one wich can be used. I don't see us reaching the po next year so we should not trade the 2021 pick. Tell me what do You think about

Pepe coming for you in 3...2...1...

More seriously i am against it. #2 is nothing special this year, more of a trap than asset imo. Wiggins + #2 is more neutral than positive asset in my eyes unless Wiggins learned how to play after all this years. Its basically killing your team for his contract duration. If he was any good Minnesota wouldnt have to add valueable 2021 frp for crappy DLo on another terrible contract.
rusoopE
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by rusoopE » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Skybox wrote:

I’m for a variation of this but I think GSW needs to sweeten...not as much as their MIn 21 pick, but how about adding Paschall? I recognize we take a step back next year but I like it for both sides

Seriously I've not watched many warriors games and don't know really what else the warriors has to offer. Maybe you are right they should sweeten cuz taking wiggins contract out from em would be great for the warriors but seriously have no clue if the money matches (should not be far tho) or any warriors role players they could add. So thanks for sharing sky :)

Vuc and Isaac supporter
rusoopE
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by rusoopE » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:42 pm

zaymon wrote:

More seriously i am against it. #2 is nothing special this year, more of a trap than asset imo. Wiggins + #2 is more neutral than positive asset in my eyes unless Wiggins learned how to play after all this years. Its basically killing your team for his contract duration. If he was any good Minnesota wouldnt have to add valueable 2021 frp for crappy DLo on another terrible contract.

I get this year's draft is gonna be tricky nobody knows exactly how good or bad players are cuz the lil amount of playing time. First of All wiggins isn't a piece to build on (maybe not yet) but he can prove wrong even me! If he doesn't pan out, cool we move on and trade him for any team looking for cap space, or maybe we could use it if we wanna lure some future FA (I know we prolly aren't getting any elite player on the fa if we are not contenders). Second I don't think ag has a lot of value right now, if anything he has the idea of maybe if he is starting on a new team he gonna flourish into everything we expected just that, and vuc I love him I really do (that's why I never argued to pepe before lolz) he's entering his finals years of his friendly contract and would demand a big extension Wich prolly magic shouldn't give him. He doesn't fit our young core no more and deserves better. I think he has some value on the league but what do you think others teams are willing to trade for a 30 years old center on today's game and with an expiring contract soon? Thx for the reply bud!

Vuc and Isaac supporter
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by zaymon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:55 pm

rusoopE wrote:
zaymon wrote:

I get this year's draft is gonna be tricky nobody knows exactly how good or bad players are cuz the lil amount of playing time. First of All wiggins isn't a piece to build on (maybe not yet) but he can prove wrong even me! If he doesn't pan out, cool we move on and trade him for any team looking for cap space, or maybe we could use it if we wanna lure some future FA (I know we prolly aren't getting any elite player on the fa if we are not contenders). Second I don't think ag has a lot of value right now, if anything he has the idea of maybe if he is starting on a new team he gonna flourish into everything we expected just that, and vuc I love him I really do (that's why I never argued to pepe before lolz) he's entering his finals years of his friendly contract and would demand a big extension Wich prolly magic shouldn't give him. He doesn't fit our young core no more and deserves better. I think he has some value on the league but what do you think others teams are willing to trade for a 30 years old center on today's game and with an expiring contract soon? Thx for the reply bud!

Wiggins was always a below average player, why we would kill our cap space for 3 years to confirm it ?. 3 years 94.6 M, what is the propability he is average ? What is propability he is good ? What is propability he is worth even 15 M let alone 30 M ?
Vucevic have 3 more years on his contract. He is great compliment to both Fultz and Isaac. Why we should sell low on him while league only now realizes shot creation and shooting is important from all positions ?
Gordon has propably more value than we think. Not every team has a bunch of versatile defensively forwards like we ( before injuries). We should capitalize on this.
rusoopE
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by rusoopE » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:02 pm

zaymon wrote:
rusoopE wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Wiggins was always a below average player, why we would kill our cap space for 3 years to confirm it ?. 3 years 94.6 M, what is the propability he is average ? What is propability he is good ? What is propability he is worth even 15 M let alone 30 M ?
Vucevic have 3 more years on his contract. He is great compliment to both Fultz and Isaac. Why we should sell low on him while league only now realizes shot creation and shooting is important from all positions ?
Gordon has propably more value than we think. Not every team has a bunch of versatile defensively forwards like we ( before injuries). We should capitalize on this.

We are doomed if we stick with vuc at the 10th to 7th seed forever I think both the magic and Niko deserves better spots. We don't even know if fultz is gonna be here by 2022 in 2 years wiggins contract will be a massive asset I'm looking wiggins just as that. I know we gonna be cap stacked for those years but who are we gonna sign ? It's a fresh start and starting next year with a high caliber scorer and 2 first round picks would be much more exciting also Andrew fills our sf gap we had for years now

Vuc and Isaac supporter
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#17 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 am

Ducklett wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

So trade 17 and that other goodwill fodder and then come back to us with actual assets.

I actually thing it’s a pretty fair and even trade.

1st round picks unprotected are always valuable especially mid round picks. Giannis and Kawhi were both mid round picks. There’s talent in every draft, you just have to be able to find it.

Johnson is a very good vet on an expiring contract so he won’t hurt the Magic’s future or cap room. Omari Spellman was a late first round pick and averaged 8-4 playing 18 mins a game and shot 40% from 3. He’s on a rookie scale contract which the magic can opt in or out if he doesn’t flash. Jacob Evans is also a former first round pick from the Warriors system. Same as Spellman, if he flashes, you can retain him for cheap; if he doesn’t he can be opted out.

So pick 17 and those 3 expiring players is a fair deal for AG who’s scoring and rebounding has dropped 3 seasons in a row IMO.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,006

Post#18 » by Ducklett » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:12 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

I actually thing it’s a pretty fair and even trade.

1st round picks unprotected are always valuable especially mid round picks. Giannis and Kawhi were both mid round picks. There’s talent in every draft, you just have to be able to find it.

Johnson is a very good vet on an expiring contract so he won’t hurt the Magic’s future or cap room. Omari Spellman was a late first round pick and averaged 8-4 playing 18 mins a game and shot 40% from 3. He’s on a rookie scale contract which the magic can opt in or out if he doesn’t flash. Jacob Evans is also a former first round pick from the Warriors system. Same as Spellman, if he flashes, you can retain him for cheap; if he doesn’t he can be opted out.

So pick 17 and those 3 expiring players is a fair deal for AG who’s scoring and rebounding has dropped 3 seasons in a row IMO.

It isn't close value. Sorry man.

Why would we trade for 17 when we can just keep him, give him the starting 4 position and let him revamp his value and trade him at the trade deadline. At worst, we get a pick in the 17ish range in the 2021 draft which has much more talent and is much deeper than this draft.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#19 » by cedric76 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:31 am

Any trade with mini needs to involve culver +17
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#20 » by Kent » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:37 am

Why can't we accept Gordon for the player he is?

All any Magic fan wants to do is keep saying he has potential to become "the guy." That's unfair to the effort and improvement he's made to be the player he is today.

His contract is great value for what he currently provides too.

I agree that he still has room to improve. I would love for him to be even better than he is — he would say he wants the same thing — but he's solid as is now.

I'm not saying I'm against trading him if the right deal came along, but the whole "AG is an all-star or bust" is getting old, and wanting to trade him because he hasn't reached his perceived ceiling is like not seeing the forest for the trees, IMO.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27

Return to Orlando Magic