ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Playoff discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Re: 2020 NBA Playoff discussion 

Post#321 » by Revived » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 pm

NBA is trying so hard to get LeBron and the Lakers in the finals. They know they need it for the ratings and to help offset the revenue they lost from fan attendance.

But still, some of the calls that go in their favor is just disgusting. LeBron swing at Murray with his first and knock him out and there would be a no call. Lebron can drive and flop at the rim and immediately 2 FTs.

Of all major sports in America, I don’t think there is one with worse officiating than basketball. Even football (NFL) surprisingly does far better than basketball.

No matter how good Miami plays, Adam Silver won’t allow the Heat to beat the Lakers in a finals series. It just won’t and can’t happen for the future sustainability of the league unfortunately.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#322 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:16 pm

Revived wrote:NBA is trying so hard to get LeBron and the Lakers in the finals. They know they need it for the ratings and to help offset the revenue they lost from fan attendance.

But still, some of the calls that go in their favor is just disgusting. LeBron swing at Murray with his first and knock him out and there would be a no call. Lebron can drive and flop at the rim and immediately 2 FTs.

Of all major sports in America, I don’t think there is one with worse officiating than basketball. Even football (NFL) surprisingly does far better than basketball.

No matter how good Miami plays, Adam Silver won’t allow the Heat to beat the Lakers in a finals series. It just won’t and can’t happen for the future sustainability of the league unfortunately.

If not for AD's crazy game winning shot, the series would be tied, but the first game was ridiculous with fouls called on the Nuggets. The last one wasn't as bad, but I can't believe the Nuggets shot as well as they did and lost, but they did get outrebounded by quite a bit and the Lakers had more shots, but they also had 12 more free throws.

I don't know if Miami is as good as Denver, or as deep, but Dragic has played in big games, and Butler is intense, but Murray has been playing crazy good and they don't have anyone as good as Jokic.

I don't know if Miami has the size to go against the Lakers either. Not totally sure I'd count Boston out of that series, though I hope Miami wins it, and it is a stretch to think Boston might have a chance.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#323 » by SunsLyf3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:29 am

Boston looks defeated. Dragic smells blood as well.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#324 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:57 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:Boston looks defeated. Dragic smells blood as well.

Not anymore.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#325 » by thamadkant » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 am

Revived wrote:NBA is trying so hard to get LeBron and the Lakers in the finals. They know they need it for the ratings and to help offset the revenue they lost from fan attendance.

Not just fan attendance loss... but ratings loss. They've lost A MASSIVE chunk of ratings... which is a concern considering most people have more incentives to watch at home with the current environment.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#326 » by Qwigglez » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am

I got the Heat winning in 6. Butler is the right leader for an underdog Cinderella story. Dragic is playing like 2010 Dragic against the Spurs.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#327 » by RunDogGun » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I got the Heat winning in 6. Butler is the right leader for an underdog Cinderella story. Dragic is playing like 2010 Dragic against the Spurs.

Its funny to think back on that series with Goran. He had 36 points in those four games, with 23 of those points coming in the fourth quarter of game three. So 64% of his points came in one quarter and 36% of his points (13 pts) over 15 quarters, which is less than a point per quarter. To be fair, he probably didn't play every quarter though. But he had an amazing fourth quarter of game 3, shooting 9 of 11.

I remember that series, because I was driving my brother in law's stuff back from Chicago to PHX.

Edit: just researched his quarters, and he only played 10 out of the 16 quarters that series, so his 13 points outside of the 4th of game three, was over 9 quarters, not 15. So he scored 1.44 pts per quarter over 9 quarters and 23 points in one quarter. And overall, 3.6 points per quarter over 10 quarters.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#328 » by Bogyo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Dragic's play reminds me of his days in the Euro Cup that he won with Slovenia as total underdogs. He got helped out by some teammates (Doncic, his brother, Anthony Randolph, Prepelic, Blazic, Vidmar to name a few) from time to time, so it was a total team effort in some ways, but he was still the undeniable Captain of that team and MVP. He won't be MVP here, but he is kicking it just like that. Hats off for this throwback performance. Really good to see an old G do the nasty like that.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#329 » by sunsbg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:50 pm

I've put bets early in the season on Clippers or Lakers winning it all, but will gladly lose some money if Heat can pull the upset. It can happen, old Lebron may struggle against good team D, while Davis looks softer than Ayton, though a more skilled player. GB discussions will be hilarious if Lebron goes 3-7 in finals.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#330 » by Saberestar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:30 pm

sunsbg wrote:I've put bets early in the season on Clippers or Lakers winning it all, but will gladly lose some money if Heat can pull the upset. It can happen, old Lebron may struggle against good team D, while Davis looks softer than Ayton, though a more skilled player. GB discussions will be hilarious if Lebron goes 3-7 in finals.

Davis soft?
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#331 » by sunsbg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:I've put bets early in the season on Clippers or Lakers winning it all, but will gladly lose some money if Heat can pull the upset. It can happen, old Lebron may struggle against good team D, while Davis looks softer than Ayton, though a more skilled player. GB discussions will be hilarious if Lebron goes 3-7 in finals.

Davis soft?

Yes, compared to someone like Giannis for example, who looks much more aggressive.

Many on GB (even Lakers fans) question his mentality as well, similar to Barkley :

;ab_channel=RomzWorld
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#332 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:35 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Davis soft?

Yes, compared to someone like Giannis for example, who looks much more aggressive.

Many on GB (even Lakers fans) question his mentality as well, similar to Barkley :

;ab_channel=RomzWorld
To me this is silly. Just because a guy doesn't mean mug and act a tough guy doesn't mean they're soft. Davis has been really good in like every playoff series he's ever played in.

Anyway **** the Lakers and go heat.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#333 » by Saberestar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:56 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Davis soft?

;ab_channel=RomzWorld

I think that Davis has it all, he is a supertough player on both ends but he is really skilled too and sometimes people think that skilled/talented players are soft.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#334 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:58 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Davis soft?

;ab_channel=RomzWorld
To me this is silly. Just because a guy doesn't mean mug and act a tough guy doesn't mean they're soft. Davis has been really good in like every playoff series he's ever played in.

It's funny, I've never thought as Davis as soft...not softer than Ayton. The last video I want to watch to be convinced is one with a picture of Broussard and Bayless.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#335 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:05 pm

The only thing you could really point at with Davis is he's missed a lot of time with nagging injuries. But I never really question guys on that because we have no idea how their body feels.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,442

Post#336 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09

With respect to going smaller these days! And in the draft too! :nonono: As the saying goes, Size matters! :nod:

We need to recognize this, And add some size, length and athleticism to our frontcourt!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#337 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:29 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

With respect to going smaller these days! And in the draft too! :nonono: As the saying goes, Size matters! :nod:

We need to recognize this, And add some size, length and athleticism to our frontcourt!

All that is needed at the end of Ryan McD's tweet is, "Especially if they are LeBron, AD and Dwight Howard!"
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#338 » by Crives » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:30 am

Damn, Dragic just lost a ton of $$$
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#339 » by sunsbg » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:46 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

;ab_channel=RomzWorld

It's funny, I've never thought as Davis as soft...not softer than Ayton. The last video I want to watch to be convinced is one with a picture of Broussard and Bayless.

I'm sure you have seen the many threads on GB talking about him not being able to take advantage of smaller players, relying too much on fadeways, not being a 1st option, etc. Many things you can see here said for Ayton.

viewtopic.php?t=1945464
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1986483
viewtopic.php?t=1939416

Also Barkley been there, done that probably knows better what he's talking about than me or you.

I don't like big men who play below their size and Ayton at least looks stronger if not tougher, but to each their own.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#340 » by sunsbg » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:57 am

bwgood77 wrote:
All that is needed at the end of Ryan McD's tweet is, "Especially if they are LeBron, AD and Dwight Howard!"

Well, you can say the same about small ball - it works especially when you have players like Curry, Klay and Durant on your team. The warriors still had a true C in the starting lineup. In the end top talent playing good team basketball wins.

Return to Phoenix Suns